• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Alternatively, I could make it so if the vote tool detects a vote for an invalid player, it will add a notice on top of the page letting people know there are invalid votes active. That would make it easier for people to realize their mistake?

malus

Oct 30, 2017
Alternatively, I could make it so if the vote tool detects a vote for an invalid player, it will add a notice on top of the page letting people know there are invalid votes active. That would make it easier for people to realize their mistake?
Yeah, that could be useful. Before, if a name appeared twice it was immediately clear that someone had misspelled the name. Now if the vote simply isn't registered, you need to know that there is supposed to be a vote to find invalid votes.
Maybe adding an "invalid votes" section after the valid player votes would also let you see if the vote has been fixed or not.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
You're both in.

Yeah, that could be useful. Before, if a name appeared twice it was immediately clear that someone had misspelled the name. Now if the vote simply isn't registered, you need to know that there is supposed to be a vote to find invalid votes.
Maybe adding an "invalid votes" section after the valid player votes would also let you see if the vote has been fixed or not.
This is a pretty good idea. Not sure the exact best way to handle displaying it, but a section that is either not included in the copied code or that defaults to being in a spoiler maybe could be good? Just something to ensure it doesn't get jumbled up in the correct votes like before.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you group votes together for various spellings of a name? It would require some manual guesswork though.

Not going to use myself as an example because who would ever want to vote for me, but you could group votes for "Natiko", "Nakito", "Nat", "Natty", and "Tiko" together.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you group votes together for various spellings of a name? It would require some manual guesswork though.

Not going to use myself as an example because who would ever want to vote for me, but you could group votes for "Natiko", "Nakito", "Nat", "Natty", and "Tiko" together.
Perhaps, but that'd be more manual and also just encourages people to be lazy with their votes.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I want the tool to work with the least amount of effort possible, gamerunners having to maintain a collection of alternate names for each user because others can't spell their name correctly is the opposite of that :P

Just learn your fellow players' usernames :P

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, Penguin only played in Power Rangers Maf since we came to Era, and in that game people used the fake accounts. Maybe you don't even have an acc on OM :D

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did the vote tool used to show players who do not have an active vote at the present time? I have a vague recollection that it did, once. On gaf.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did the vote tool used to show players who do not have an active vote at the present time? I have a vague recollection that it did, once. On gaf.

No, it didn't. Some of the gamerunners would manually add a list of players who hadn't voted when they added vote counts, but the Vote Tool never had that functionality before now.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it didn't. Some of the gamerunners would manually add a list of players who hadn't voted when they added vote counts, but the Vote Tool never had that functionality before now.

Does that mean it does now? I was actually wondering the same thing as weemadarthur. It would be nice to have, but not a necessity if it was going to be difficult to implement for Fireblend who already does more for us than we deserve.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Does that mean it does now? I was actually wondering the same thing as weemadarthur. It would be nice to have, but not a necessity if it was going to be difficult to implement for Fireblend who already does more for us than we deserve.
I stealthily added a tooltip that shows players without active votes yesterday. You can see it here by hovering over the "Not Voting" text under current stats: http://vote.fireblend.com/98803

2SfLDaY.png

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Febe is a God among men.

And yeah, I wasn't sure if he'd announced it, but I figured he wouldn't be too mad at me mentioning it in a sneaky way. (I'm not currently on Discord cause I'm at work, he might be raging at me right now.)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Febe is a God among men.

And yeah, I wasn't sure if he'd announced it, but I figured he wouldn't be too mad at me mentioning it in a sneaky way. (I'm not currently on Discord cause I'm at work, he might be raging at me right now.)
ah, no, don't worry. I've been adding things here and there since my big features post. I don't want to make a big deal out of every improvement :)

Also, announcing my new $10 Patreon reward: The tool will conveniently "miss" one vote on you every single day phase!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah, no, don't worry. I've been adding things here and there since my big features post. I don't want to make a big deal out of every improvement :)

Also, announcing my new $10 Patreon reward: The tool will conveniently "miss" one vote on you every single day phase!

COLLUSION!

Why sensei?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
In order to help prevent the same discussions in so many games, I think we should add something like a preferred diminutive to sign-ups. Some people really do have preferences there, first of all, and a proliferation of nicknames also impacts thread-searching.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
In order to help prevent the same discussions in so many games, I think we should add something like a preferred diminutive to sign-ups. Some people really do have preferences there, first of all, and a proliferation of nicknames also impacts thread-searching.

uh, diminutive? Seriously, I googled that word and I don't understand it still.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
heh, alright then.

(ya all know my preferred nick. :D)
Aha, but new players coming in don't. You know? They could probably guess with yours. But the first time you play with someone at all you may not know.

I just think it would be helpful without being a hassle.

What if it turns out Blarg hates being called Blarg? yikes

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Aha, but new players coming in don't. You know? They could probably guess with yours. But the first time you play with someone at all you may not know.

I just think it would be helpful without being a hassle.

What if it turns out Blarg hates being called Blarg? yikes

I know I know, I just threw that in as a cheeky jab lol.

For the record, I am all for the idea of a preferred Nick.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
This will completely ruin rac's plan of constantly referring to people by different nicknames in order to make it harder to search the thread for his thoughts later.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
This will completely ruin rac's plan of constantly referring to people by different nicknames in order to make it harder to search the thread for his thoughts later.
Hahaha I think he still can. Many people probably don't have a preference. But a few do and we need to respect that if we are gonna be the welcoming community we say we are.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it's a good idea for sure, I just remembered rac talking about calling Fandorin "Fan, Fand, and Fando" lol.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this to the gamerunners but I'll throw it here as well. I got word that Outer Mafia is going to go offline for a little bit for maintenance sometime next week. This is the hosting service's thing, not mine, so I have no control over it.

I don't know exactly when it will be yet. The hosting service is supposed to give me a time frame for it soon, and I'll post here and in the game threads when I have firmer details.

Oct 27, 2017
OKAY

So i need a mentor (can I have sophia pls)

but I think I could (in theory) manage smaller games of mafia like mini mafia or ONUW or what have you

big games tend to be time sink and a sanity sink as well

What could I do to be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.