• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Re: Gorlak's scenario: The vote tool keeps track of replacements. I could make it so whenever the new player votes, the tool will look for an old vote by the previous player, and invalidate that one (if it hadn't been already by the gamerunner).

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
These updates are splendid. You do such a great job Fire. Definitely going to have to install this when I next play.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Really liking the small game and short day/night cycle. Much easier to manage as someone who doesn't always have a lot of time to commit to the game.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
here I'll make you feel like you've played anyay

VOTE: Dr. Monkey

(now someone write up a fake death post)
Dr. Monkey has died!

Welcome, Dr. Monkey! You are aligned with the critical thinkers (that's town, sometimes).

You are a PhD candidate, and your power is working forever with little sleep!

This means you can continue to post in the night phase without restriction (time to meme), but once per game, at a random EoD, your vote will jump to the player with the second highest total! You may be able to stay awake forever, but eventually, you'll make a mistake.

Good luck, Dr. Monkey![/quote[

Last edited:
Introducing Mini Mafias & Adopt a design!
OP
OP
Sawneeks

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone missed it in the Review Thread we are introducing two new ways to run games! The first is Mini Mafias, something some of you may know but now has a few changes to it. The second is an Adopt a design program that would allow old games to be given some new life.

Mini Mafia

• These games are 13 players or less and can be selected to run from one of many pre-approved sources for game designs.
  • In order to properly differentiate between these and our normal, custom games they will be called Mini Mafias. We've already had a few of these (4 in fact) and they simply follow each other numerically. The next Mini Mafia would be 5, followed by Mini Mafia 6, and so on.
  • Due to how small these games are they can run alongside any normal Mafia game. Players can also play in both a normal game and a Mini Mafia at the same time, though they will have lower priority when trying to play in more than one game at a time.
  • The '10 post count rule' will be enforced for both games. If you are playing in both games you will receive warning(s) per game and if you receive two warnings you will be removed from both games.
  • These don't affect normal priority. Think of them like small, bite-sized games!
  • Fireblend and Stuart444 are already planning on running the next game so keep an eye out for it soon!!
  • Interested in running one? Pick a set up and let either myself, Dr. Monkey, or melonrabbit know so we can get you started!

Adopt a design

• The purpose of this program is to recover old games that were never run in one of our seasons. These are themed, uniquely designed games by community members.
  • Anyone will be able to adopt any of these games to run them in the future with us. We hope that players interested in becoming gamerunners will benefit from the program.
  • As of this post, there are 4 games looking for new owners. You can check them out, and learn more details about the program, here.

We have the full details HERE on OuterMafia if you are interested!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
@Fireblend and @Stuart444 are already planning on running the next game so keep an eye out for it soon!!
kgIWGk3.gif

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Nice write-up.

I hope someone picks up The Devil is a Part Timer. (I've never watched it but I still wouldn't mind it haha)

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to mention - not only does the adopt a design/mini programs let you test out being a game runner with a bit less pressure, but you're more than welcome to ask around for a co-runner who has more experience to help you out.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to mention - not only does the adopt a design/mini programs let you test out being a game runner with a bit less pressure, but you're more than welcome to ask around for a co-runner who has more experience to help you out.
Yes, I want to touch on this, too - if you want to design a game but aren't sure about running, or vice versa, there are solutions!

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So, what if you want to run a mini game but you want it to be your own flavor and it meets the qualifications of a mini game.
Would it have to run as a normal game even if the roster size is like 12 players?

Cough* asking for a friend

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, what if you want to run a mini game but you want it to be your own flavor and it meets the qualifications of a mini game.
Would it have to run as a normal game even if the roster size is like 12 players?

The idea is that we can fast-track a design that has been approved before and is known to be balanced, like one of the approved open or semi-open designs from Mafiascum, or something that's been ran before. Completely new designs would still need some degree of review.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Edit: The flavor (not the design like roles, mechanics, etc) can be anything you want I believe :P

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you're choosing any of the pre-approved Mini games (ONUW, C9++, etc.), it won't be run as a normal game and you're free to add to it any flavor you want.
The definition of a Mini game is that it's an open and vetted design, not whether it has flavor or not ^^

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, just an update on my ongoing research project, for the people who are interested-

Phase two is going down soon (we'll have a survey! more about that later!) and we've already been given a space to report out on that, in person and with a paper, at another Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) conference in the fall. Our expanded article (built from the last conference paper) is moving through the review process and should also be out in the fall. We are going to extend a bit with this next part and talk to a few other communities, but MafiEra is still our big central case, so I wanted to keep y'all posted. Gotta increase the number of results when one searches "mafiera" on Google Scholar. :)

OceanicAir

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible monkey! Writing articles and going to conferences, spreading the good word of the Gopsel of Blargonaut.

I just continue to be amazed at how academic you can make the chaos of a bunch of people from around the world trying to fake kill each other sound lol. But it's awesome work covering an awesome community and I'd love to see the results of all the research.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i briefly brought this up on the ongoing Mansion game but this thread is the right place to do it. Has there been any consideration on changing the lynch terminology? We could at least semi officially adopt some other term, or terms, with less disgusting baggage. It would be a pretty easy thing to do that would help make the conversation less icky.

I'm new in the community and i don't want to come barging in here with any sort of demands or grandstanding ideas but i can only speak for my experience. After using the word repeatedly on the last few days, I'm just not comfortable with it anymore and am gonna avoid using it from now on. But i'd really like it if we all just dispensed with it altogether.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
So i briefly brought this up on the ongoing Mansion game but this thread is the right place to do it. Has there been any consideration on changing the lynch terminology? We could at least semi officially adopt some other term, or terms, with less disgusting baggage. It would be a pretty easy thing to do that would help make the conversation less icky.

I'm new in the community and i don't want to come barging in here with any sort of demands or grandstanding ideas but i can only speak for my experience. After using the word repeatedly on the last few days, I'm just not comfortable with it anymore and am gonna avoid using it from now on. But i'd really like it if we all just dispensed with it altogether.
I agree with this, would be nice to replace it.

I only really notice how icky it is when I'm explaining the game to an outsider, and find myself dancing around that word.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I could definitely get behind replacing the word. I think we don't even need to somehow decide on one substitute. Just use whatever other word you like as long as it is understandable what you meant. Could even easily be part of the flavor of a game in my opinion.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea, but we would need a definitive substitute for the word, to use in our documents, to tell any player coming from a different community that we use "X" instead of "lynch", and so we don't end up having discussions like

- didn't you see? Player A was booped on D3
- booped? what does that mean?
- oh, I mean lynched

where we end up using the word anyway.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not bothered by the word but I also wouldn't be bothered if the word was changed.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Imo wouldn't want to change the word and I would still use lynch even if you guys changed it because I'm used to it all these years.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
what about "Dunked on"?

"Brazil was Dunked on"

"i want to dunk on Retro, Dr monkey, or Cabot today"

"read list from least to mostly likely to Dunk on:"

"He/She/We, Dunked on"

Oct 27, 2017
with less disgusting baggage.
Would you mind explaining that a bit? I'm probably ignorant. After glancing at wikipedia, is this a US centered issue? As a european I seem to miss the historical context for understanding the graveness of the situation? Does lynching specifically refer to the murder of afro americans?

I'm trying to understand here, dictionaries seem to describe lynching as the act of a mob killing someone without legal trial (as in what we do/pretend to do/play).

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would you mind explaining that a bit? I'm probably ignorant. After glancing at wikipedia, is this a US centered issue? As a european I seem to miss the historical context for understanding the graveness of the situation? Does lynching specifically refer to the murder of afro americans?

I'm trying to understand here, dictionaries seem to describe lynching as the act of a mob killing someone without legal trial (as in what we do/pretend to do/play).
Not American but my understanding is that hate groups performed lynchings to terrorise the black population in the US

--
I support changing it too, personally my choice is lunch

Lunch, mislunch and lose, lunch or lose

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
I like lunch, because my phone seems to autocorrect to it anyway. Plus, I hunger for blood.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
i also fall into the thing of the word having hardly any baggage for me, but i wont object at all if others want it changed for said reasons.

And yeah Lunch is good, always down for implied cannibalism.

this sounds vaguely sexual to be honest, and your example choices are noted.
:stan:

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it's not a word that carries any specific meaning to me, but if changing it would make people more comfortable here I am 100% for doing that.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest hurdle will still be that there is a global mafia community much bigger than us and that is the term. Changing it for our own use is fine but it loses its value if we have to explain to someone with mafia experience each game what the word is because we then have to use the word anyway.

Also to the question above, yeah we aren't getting fancy so MYLO and LYLO are probably stil in.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We could always go with "Do in" so we can imagine everything in a british accent

DO IN: Kitsunelaine

Mods: "Kitsunelaine has been Done In!"

Status
Not open for further replies.