ResetEra March 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Foreword

Welcome to the March 2018 newsletter. We have a lot to get to, so let's get to it!

Warnings, Mod Posts, and Junior Membership

This past month we’ve been listening to privately submitted user feedback and conducting surveys among representatives from many of our Hangouts. A consistent theme that came up was that people wanted to see less micromanagement of discussions – specifically fewer warnings on posts that aren't disruptive and fewer preemptive Mod Posts. Over the past week or two we’ve been cutting back on these things and believe it has had a positive effect.

At the same time we want to avoid making it easier for trolls to fly under the radar, shed their Junior status, and gain thread posting abilities. The current requirements of 100 posts and 2 months before gaining full Membership were only as low as they were out of consideration for the launch period. From now on the new requirement will be 300 posts and 3 months.

Contests

In recent weeks, we've been seeing a steady uptick from users requesting ResetEra rewards for user hosted contests. To support these efforts, on a case by case basis we can make prizes like ERA Clear subscriptions available to encourage member participation. If you're planning to run a contest and would like us to help facilitate a prize, please contact SweetNicole with a detailed proposal.

GiftBot Update

This past month we launched GiftBot, a tool for users to host giveaways for games and other prizes here on ResetEra. If you're looking for the specifics of how to run or enter a giveaway, check out this post here. At the time of this writing, GiftBot has hosted over 334 giveaways and given away 1560 gifts. There have been an incredible 28,835 giveaway entries as well!

We'd like to thank everyone who participated or started their own giveaway during our Inaugural GiftBot Giveaway. We also appreciate the feedback you've sent us regarding new features and other requests. We've already pushed out our first update adding Public Winner Identification and Custom Raffle Lengths. And we're not stopping with those! There will be many more GiftBot updates to come.

Q&Era Update

This month we hosted a Q&ERA with Tom Happ and Dan Adelman, who answered your questions on Axiom Verge and more!
Axiom Verge was created as a love letter to the original Metroid. The story is about a scientist named Trace who awakens in the alien world of Sudra. Axiom Verge is available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Wii U, Windows, macOS, and Linux.
You can read the full Q&ERA in its entirety here.

New Game Releases

Here's a list of new games that released in March 2018 with links to their OTs. If you see a game that came out in March that has a ResetEra OT and isn't on this list, please tag SweetNicole with the game and the OT link and it will be added.

Community Spotlights

Below are the community spotlights for the month of March.

Video Games:
EtcetEra:
Thread Highlights

The release of GiftBot has unleashed a wave of generosity in the community, but one member is going above and beyond. Dusk Golem 's 600 Steam Game giveaway over 120 days is one of the most impressive giveaways we've ever seen: Dusk Golem's Daily Steam Game Giveaway

The Super Smash Bros. announcement took the internet by storm in March. On ResetEra, it was our most popular and active thread in March. If you want to relive the excitement and speculation, check out the announcement thread: Super Smash Bros. announced for Nintendo Switch

Today, March 31st, is Transgender Visibility Day, and in recognition of that day we'd like to highlight a thread made specifically for educating people where members can read about and ask questions on this subject: Transgender 101

While the community had a bit of fun designing mascots for the site, we had a bit of fun and changed our logo for a day in response. Follow the story: Let's Design Reset Era's Mascot

Conclusion

As always, we're looking for your feedback on how we can make this newsletter better.

One final question for you if you've made it this far: Are you ready for a difference that's Night and Day?

Thanks for being the best community on the internet! This concludes the ResetEra March 2018 Newsletter. Have a great April!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 26, 2017
Great update. My least favorite part of Reset...in fact my only gripe, has been:
... less micromanagement of discussions – specifically fewer warnings issued for minor infractions and fewer preemptive Mod Posts.
Very happy about this adjustment. Good work.

Oct 25, 2017
This past month we’ve been listening to privately submitted user feedback and conducting surveys among representatives from many of our Hangouts. A consistent theme that came up was that people wanted to see less micromanagement of discussions – specifically fewer warnings issued for minor infractions and fewer preemptive Mod Posts. Over the past week or so we’ve been cutting back on these things and believe it has had a positive effect.
It seems to me that minor infractions are what warnings should be for. It's really easy for things to snowball out of hand quickly, especially as the userbase grows. Lots of people complained about the dogpiling problem in the past, and most methods don't seem to do much to combat it, but seeing a warned post probably does. Just my opinion, though.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Oct 27, 2017
One question: How can I send feedback? We'll have some kind of feedback tool or we already have?
SweetNicole just love your avatar.

D

Deleted member 123

Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the junior members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums, before being a member?

I have joined in 6 March, and it's been 25 days, yet the admin announces changes in requirements to be a member!

I just want to know...Will MEMBERS registered before TODAY still REQUIRE 100 posts and 1 month of being HERE???? I would hate to see my requirement changed too, it's like you're also punishing the members who joined before today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums?
There is no way to split the difference. So unfortunately you will need to reach the new threshold before being able to make posts. Sorry for the inconvenience with the change. We know it will affect some members who were close to the older limit.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely feel like I've seen a lot more "Fuck off"s and calling women in the news cunts getting by lately. Is that also part of the changes?

I feel like warnings for small infractions is kind of the point instead of just letting it build up in a way that the user can't see and ending up with a ban for it. If the goal with bans is to correct behavior, then I'm not sure how warnings aren't accomplishing the same thing but for smaller issues.

As always, we're looking for your feedback on how we can make this newsletter better. Don't forget to book April 20th off if you're going to be out of the office for a..."personal day." One final question for you if you've made it this far: Are you ready for a difference that's Night and Day?
What's gonna happen????

Are we getting more theme options or.....?

Dec 28, 2017
Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums?
This is my exact question
Does this apply to everyone who joined before today

Lol, looking at my profile just now, I've already met the new requirements just a few days ago. Time flies lol

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
At the same time we want to avoid making it easier for trolls to fly under the radar, shed their Junior status, and gain thread posting abilities. The current requirements of 100 posts and 1 month before gaining full Membership were only as low as they were out of consideration for the launch period. From now on the new requirement will be 300 posts and 3 months.
This is a great thing.

Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the junior members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums, before being a member?

I have joined in 6 March, and it's been 25 days, yet the admin announces changes in requirements to be a member!

I just want to know...Will MEMBERS registered before TODAY still REQUIRE 100 posts and 1 month of being HERE???? I would hate to see my requirement changed too, it's like you're also punishing the members who joined before today.
?!?!?! Wait... are you seriously 13 years old?

Oct 26, 2017
The monthly newsletter is great. I really like that our board seems like a much more collaboratively run place where there is at least some democracy in how it should function. Keep up the great work mods and admins.

Oct 27, 2017
England
SweetNicole said:
The current requirements of 100 posts and 1 month before gaining full Membership were only as low as they were out of consideration for the launch period. From now on the new requirement will be 300 posts and 3 months.
I'm not sure whether it was intentional or not, but it seems this applies to people who have been Junior members since day 1 of registration being open, and not working from this point onward.

Oh well, only 22 posts away.

D

Deleted member 123

Um, YEAH, I'm SURPRISED.
Tsk. You better be glad that you're seeing a member at the youngest age possible to register on this forum. It's so rare seeing someone who is aged 13, so to me, I feel like the only member at this age...

I'm not sure whether it was intentional or not, but it seems this applies to people who have been Junior members since day 1 of registration being open, and not working from this point onward.

What? I'm hoping you're not serious. Is it like a April Fool prank?

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will we be able to sticky our new comics OT when it gets posted tonight? Or do we lose the spotlight?

Oct 27, 2017
Can we eventually get post counts on threads? It would make it easier to look at all the posts we made in any given thread and how many

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Meh, I don't like trash posting or posting one liners and I'm often late for threads anyway (since I have a tendency to read them pretty thoroughly, so I feel like I'm never gonna be able to make threads with this rate.

Not a bad change in general though, I guess.

edit:
No wait, it was 100 posts before? Then yeah I'm supposed to be able to make threads I guess. Funny, didn't realize it.

It seems to me that minor infractions are what warnings should be for. It's really easy for things to snowball out of hand quickly, especially as the userbase grows. Lots of people complained about the dogpiling problem in the past, and most methods don't seem to do much to combat it, but seeing a warned post probably does. Just my opinion, though.
I definitely feel like I've seen a lot more "Fuck off"s and calling women in the news cunts getting by lately. Is that also part of the changes?

I feel like warnings for small infractions is kind of the point instead of just letting it build up in a way that the user can't see and ending up with a ban for it. If the goal with bans is to correct behavior, then I'm not sure how warnings aren't accomplishing the same thing but for smaller issues.
Yeah this is how I feel too. I think warnings given for small infractions are a good thing.

At the same time though, I can see how people might take them very seriously and consider it over blown in small cases, but I don't think the warning is the problem in itself there. Instead of lessening the amount of warnings for small things, maybe it should be considered how it could be made to feel not quite so bad in such small cases (but still make it clear enough that it was indeed given for a good reason).

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017

There was a bug. You should have your privileges now tho.

D

Deleted member 123

LMAO

You're not trolling?

I just felt alotta attitude in your post. I got nothing against you if you're truly 13.
I'm not trolling. I'm just trying to tell you that it's a bit rare to see members aged 13 like myself.
I only want you to feel a bit lucky - you're seeing peoples with different ages, and I'm thinking you have never seen someone aged 13.

Aw man, I lost my thread making privileges. I got my tag from a thread that I made!
Are you joking? Try creating another thread as a test. I bet it doesn't apply to members like you; You're a member, so I think you still have access.

SweetNicole or Ferny Could I please have a clarification about the updated restriction, does it applies to everyone who has either less than 300 posts or less than 3 months for the restriction to be lifted, or does the new restriction apply ONLY to members who joined today?

I'd hate to see members like us being punished only because we've either joined less than a month ago or we've got less than 100 posts.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Can we eventually get post counts on threads? It would make it easier to look at all the posts we made in any given thread and how many
The tool was disabled due to technical issues. We'd like to get it back in the future, but we have no ETA for when that will happen.

Will we be able to sticky our new comics OT when it gets posted tonight? Or do we lose the spotlight?
Send me a PM when that happens, and I'll swap the stickies since y'all are a current spotlight.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, thank you! (It's not a big deal if I have to wait until I hit 300 posts, but it's nice to be able to if something comes up.)

Oct 25, 2017
Having not seen the feedback that led to warnings being dialled back it's difficult to know how that decision came about outside of what's been said here.

I personally appreciated the presence of warnings and to myself there seems to have been a rise in the kind of conversations that lead to bans, but perhaps I'm just finding myself reading those threads at the right moment.

On a separate note, and apologies if this isn't the best place to ask but would it be possible to add some kind of service to privately flag certain accounts.

I recognise that the ability to ignore people already exists and this essentially overlaps the same problem but I'd appreciate being able to just make a note that someone might not know what they're talking about but still be able to see their posts as they come up in a particular thread.

I'm not trolling. I'm just trying to tell you that it's a bit rare to see members aged 13 like myself.
I only want you to feel a bit lucky - you're seeing peoples with different ages, and I'm thinking you have never seen someone aged 13.
Yeah... pretty sure I never saw a 13 year old on a site like ERA before.

And the way you sound.... lol. Well, you got a grasp on proper sentence structure amd stuff. When I was 13, I didn't care.

Oct 28, 2017
300 posts for member status? It's a lot to write, are you sure it will not incentive more short and stupid comments to get it?

This, and the fact thart for a slowpoke poster like me means at least a year as junior...

D

Deleted member 123

300 posts for member status? It's a lot to write, are you sure it will not incentive more short and stupid comments to get it?

This, and the fact thart for a slowpoke poster like me means at least a year as junior...
I agree with you, another method would be to spam short comments. But you don't need to beat yourself up, you can stay forever a junior member or be a member right now.
But I've been also wondering, does the new restriction only applies to members registered today or does it also applies to all junior members? I'd hate seeing old junior members being punished..

Oct 30, 2017
While I believe forcing users to wait three months before being able to make posts might be overly-restrictive and somewhat discouraging to legitimate users who have joined within the past month, I understand that it will help keep trolls off the forum and it's probably for the best.

Just as a clarification though, users who already passed the previous requirement, but not the new one, will retain their Member status, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.