ResetEra March 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
It seems to me that minor infractions are what warnings should be for. It's really easy for things to snowball out of hand quickly, especially as the userbase grows. Lots of people complained about the dogpiling problem in the past, and most methods don't seem to do much to combat it, but seeing a warned post probably does. Just my opinion, though.
Thanks. We've edited the wording for clarity -- it's just about taking the flow of discussion into greater account. We're constantly listening to feedback and looking for what works best.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that minor infractions are what warnings should be for. It's really easy for things to snowball out of hand quickly, especially as the userbase grows. Lots of people complained about the dogpiling problem in the past, and most methods don't seem to do much to combat it, but seeing a warned post probably does. Just my opinion, though.
I definitely feel like I've seen a lot more "Fuck off"s and calling women in the news cunts getting by lately. Is that also part of the changes?

I feel like warnings for small infractions is kind of the point instead of just letting it build up in a way that the user can't see and ending up with a ban for it. If the goal with bans is to correct behavior, then I'm not sure how warnings aren't accomplishing the same thing but for smaller issues.
Yeah, I have to agree. I'm not sure what "positive effect" less warnings is having, but I've seen a trend of more and more toxicity in discussions, from low-quality console warrior threads, to sentiments which border on misogyny and sexism. I don't think a more laissez faire attitude is the appropriate response to combat this.

I thought ResetERA was not only just a name change, but a new tone for discussion where everyone feels comfortable and certain attitudes just aren't allowed. The mod policies should reflect this, not be more hands-off.

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Moderating is hard so respect to the ones who are trying to do it.

I do feel like a ton of dogpiling still happens just for someone having a different opinion or trying to discuss the issue. It's not an easy problem to fix though I'm sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah this sucks, I just got to 100 posts there this morning.
Does this mean I'll need to get up to the 300 post threshold now instead?
If you see a Post New Thread button on any of the open forums you're in the clear.

I don't have 300 posts and it shows up for me.

Oct 27, 2017
An easy "cheat" to get your post numbers up is go into a live viewing thread like wrassle era or e3 press conferences.

These are about the only place where short "Omg!" "Oh shit!" "Wtf just happened??" type comments can fly.

I was about halfway to 100 posts. Now I'll just use this and have it come e3 time.

Dec 24, 2017
I definitely feel like I've seen a lot more "Fuck off"s and calling women in the news cunts getting by lately. Is that also part of the changes?
I am right there with you on this, this is really not okay. I have reported these posts and it has led to a thread warning post for people to watch their language if I remember correctly.

As far as "fuck off", the moderation here strikes a pretty amazing balance most of the time, it's tough with some people here dipping their toes into espousing awful views to avoid moderation by sharing their true feelings, and people like that need to be called out for what they are saying, but if the forum were to take a blanket "no personal attack" policy these people would skate by. Ultimately it's moderator discretion and from everything I've seen the team have shown great discretion in their moderation calls in tricky subjects where emotions can run high.

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This...a mod warning was a reason to "settle down" when people were getting a little too fiesty with one another. Sometimes people need to be reminded that their antagonistic actions are not cool.

Softening on warnings is lessoning a documented trail of behavior. Totally understandable why some people would not want that if they find themselves having to be warned often.

malyse

Community Resetter
I feel like warnings for small infractions is kind of the point instead of just letting it build up in a way that the user can't see and ending up with a ban for it. If the goal with bans is to correct behavior, then I'm not sure how warnings aren't accomplishing the same thing but for smaller issues.
Yeah, I have to agree. I'm not sure what "positive effect" less warnings is having, but I've seen a trend of more and more toxicity in discussions, from low-quality console warrior threads, to sentiments which border on misogyny and sexism. I don't think a more laissez faire attitude is the appropriate response to combat this.

I thought ResetERA was not only just a name change, but a new tone for discussion where everyone feels comfortable and certain attitudes just aren't allowed. The mod policies should reflect this, not be more hands-off.
So much this. Getting a punishment when you haven’t had a previous warning about your behavior would be absolutely maddening.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly a bit bummed to see warnings being pared back as I agree with those saying it feels like the toxicity has risen some around here.

I do feel like a ton of dogpiling still happens just for someone having a different opinion or trying to discuss the issue. It's not an easy problem to fix though I'm sure.
God help you if you say you don't like Thor Ragnarok.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great. I kind of felt like this place was a tiny bit overmoderated. Not that I am that eager anymore to post stuff that goes against the swarm intelligence... but it is a welcome and actually noticeable change.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with others that I'm not entirely convinced that less warnings is a good thing. If someone is warned that one of their posts is breaking a rule, they're far less likely to do it in the future because no one wants to be banned.

Mar 24, 2018
Over there
As long as warnings aren't flying out the moment anyone gets a little bit testy I don't think you need to be so careful with giving them out. At the very least, maybe consider warnings that are just PMs if the worry is that people will disregard their post for having the big red mark over their post, and opt to use those public warnings more for warning the entire thread. However, this is just my viewpoint and I haven't really been here long enough to know the details.

Also 300 posts seems steep just to have thread-making privileges. Couldn't 100 posts and 3 months be a good compromise? Yeah, I know you want people to be actively using an account so that they aren't just making accounts so they can throw them away later on, but 300 for people who don't say all that much seems rough.

Granted, if you don't say that much you probably don't have many threads you'd want to make anyway, I guess? It could be less of a problem than it appears, especially since most threads I see on here are of the "Megathread" type you'd see on other forums.

Edit from 12 days later: i was worried for nothing i've got half the post requirement already and i've just been making regular posts, even if they aren't super informative they don't detract from the threads at all. Post limit is fine.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have mixed feelings about the warnings.

Even as someone who has never received a warning, seeing them scattered across threads sometimes gave me the feeling of being a child in school, with teachers intervening in our discussions at regular intervals. I agreed with almost all the interventions, but it was off-putting all the same. I suspect this is what some users were reacting to when they contacted the staff.

At the same time... I really did agree with basically every warning I saw. And if there's one thing I've learned by being a member of this community, it's that heavy moderation really is effective at promoting pleasant discussion on the internet. There's a time when I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

...I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I suppose I trust the mods to keep working to find the right balance of too much moderation vs not enough. So, yay, I guess

Jan 13, 2018
I'm slightly puzzled. What are the good arguments against issuing warnings for smaller infractions? Because I can only see it as a good corrective measure, and a way to discourage the escalation of more chaotic behaviour, like we've seen on the old forum.

Oct 25, 2017
The Ocean
I’m not opposed to seeing warnings for slight corrective modposts but maybe we could have some kind of Yellow Alert that acts as a softer admonishment instead of a big red warning? That way mods can still help keep the room happy, while seeming less overzealous in the warn area (which it sounds like people are equating it to)

Dec 12, 2017
I'm slightly puzzled. What are the good arguments against issuing warnings for smaller infractions? Because I can only see it as a good corrective measure, and a way to discourage the escalation of more chaotic behaviour, like we've seen on the old forum.
They have the potential to kill the flow of a conversation imo. At a certain point it feels like it became more of a way for a mod to wave their red text around for very little reason.

As long as rule breaking posts are still handled I think it's worthwhile to trust the community a little to follow the rules on their own without being handheld.

I'm definitely not saying they should loosen up on the rules, but it feels like I've seen some mods come into a thread that's going fine yet may have the potential to get toxic and completely kill the flow with a preemptive warning.

Jan 13, 2018
They have the potential to kill the flow of a conversation imo. At a certain point it feels like it became more of a way for a mod to wave their red text around for very little reason.
Then it's surely a problem with that particular mod, not with the system on the whole?

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, another method would be to spam short comments. But you don't need to beat yourself up, you can stay forever a junior member or be a member right now.
But I've been also wondering, does the new restriction only applies to members registered today or does it also applies to all junior members? I'd hate seeing old junior members being punished..
Your question has been answered by a mod already. It’s not a punishment since you weren’t stripped of anything. 3 months and 300 posts is not significant at all if you truly want to be a dedicated member of the community. On neogaf I had to wait 8 months to even get posting privileges.

Dec 12, 2017
Then it's surely a problem with that particular mod, not with the system on the whole?
Maybe. I wouldnt presume to guess at what happens internally, but it was clearly a big enough issue that it had to be specifically mentioned.

What does and does not break the rules isn't being changed, so I guess I don't really see the harm in there being less handholding and more trusting the users to follow the rules on their own.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how less moderation equates to a positive effect when I feel like moderation has been a bit inconsistent with its enforcement and probably needed to be even more vigilant?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks you for the Newsletter!

I entirely agree with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

As long as rule breaking posts are still handled I think it's worthwhile to trust the community a little to follow the rules on their own without being handheld.

I'm definitely not saying they should loosen up on the rules, but it feels like I've seen some mods come into a thread that's going fine yet may have the potential to get toxic and completely kill the flow with a preemptive warning.
Well at the same time, after the warning you got to trust the community to right the ship after the warning. Civil conversation could be had bb

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"One final question for you if you've made it this far: Are you ready for a difference that's Night and Day?"

Is ResetEra going to be the first Internet forum with a day/night cycle!?

I've been noticing far fewer threads posted with the adopt-a-user thing; maybe it's because it's lost its novelty but I'm wondering if new members just aren't seeing it. I figure it's even more valuable with a longer junior member period.

D

Deleted member 123

Your question has been answered by a mod already. It’s not a punishment since you weren’t stripped of anything. 3 months and 300 posts is not significant at all if you truly want to be a dedicated member of the community. On neogaf I had to wait 8 months to even get posting privileges.
I'm sorry, but I wasn't seeing any mod replying to me. I couldn't find an mod replying to me, but thanks for reassuring me. Yes, I know I'm not stripped but asking whenever the new restrictions only applies to junior members who joined today or to all junior members is A DIFFERENT matter - I was a bit so close to meeting the 'month' activity requirement.

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm sorry, but I wasn't seeing any mod replying to me. I couldn't find an mod replying to me, but thanks for reassuring me. Yes, I know I'm not stripped but asking whenever the new restrictions only applies to junior members who joined today or to all junior members is A DIFFERENT matter - I was a bit so close to meeting the 'month' activity requirement.
Realistically, unless you have a new thread you want to make, it's not going to matter if you're a junior or regular member.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the junior members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums, before being a member?

I have joined in 6 March, and it's been 25 days, yet the admin announces changes in requirements to be a member!

I just want to know...Will MEMBERS registered before TODAY still REQUIRE 100 posts and 1 month of being HERE???? I would hate to see my requirement changed too, it's like you're also punishing the members who joined before today.
Wow, with an attitude like that I’m kinda glad you need to wait another 2 months before you can create a thread.

Yeah this is how I feel too. I think warnings given for small infractions are a good thing.

At the same time though, I can see how people might take them very seriously and consider it over blown in small cases, but I don't think the warning is the problem in itself there. Instead of lessening the amount of warnings for small things, maybe it should be considered how it could be made to feel not quite so bad in such small cases (but still make it clear enough that it was indeed given for a good reason).
Hmm, I feel like this would be a good idea. Warnings right now look really "scary" with their bright red background that immediately draws your eye toward it. It makes it look like it has the same severity of a ban. If somehow that were changed (assuming the forum software allows this), then I feel like it would really do wonders in how warnings are perceived.

But regardless, I've definitely been enjoying ResetEra very much, so congratulations on another successful month!

I agree with you, another method would be to spam short comments. But you don't need to beat yourself up, you can stay forever a junior member or be a member right now.
But I've been also wondering, does the new restriction only applies to members registered today or does it also applies to all junior members? I'd hate seeing old junior members being punished..
Is the requests for threads/ Adopt-A-User still a thing? That would be a way to get around that

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
I wanted to throw my support behind this as well

I also think reverting to 300 posts and 3 months is a good move

Kind of off topic but two things I miss from the old place are the 'posts per day' count on a users profile page and being able to search all of a users created threads and see if there have been any updates

I unwatch a lot of threads I make when they die down, but because of that I miss anyone who bumps them days/weeks later unless they quote one of my posts

Oct 27, 2017
I literally had 99 posts so to see the new thread requirement change from 100 to 300 is rather annoying to say the least.

There was a thread I wanted to start on a specific day in the middle of April but I guess I can't now :/

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Is sniping at other posters and cursing them out allowed with these new guidelines? It does allow for more free flow discussion but it's cheap as fuck for those already banned.

Oct 27, 2017
-- y'all gonna set an April Fool's policy? I think you should. There's a reason the other place had one and it had everything to do with credibility and attracting professionals in the industry.

-- what's the policy on alt accounts, joke accounts, and KenM-style troll accounts? PoliEra could use a peek if you're looking.

-- this is the first newsletter i actually read!

-- can you bump up the max embeds per post limit to 4? The limit of 2 makes it pretty difficult to post relevant tweet storms.

Oct 25, 2017
3 months 300 posts seems reasonable enough. It'd show that the member has some desire to stick around.

However, what is an ERA clear?

Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
With regard to warnings, I definitely feel like things have been a little more crass, sharp, and mean-spirited in certain discussions in the last few weeks. IIRC, mean-spitirtedness isn't against the TOS, but it certainly affects the culture of the forum.

I know it's a pain, but perhaps warnings are most useful when there's a clear need to admonish someone publically, and anything requiring more of a personal tap on the shoulder could be done in PM? That ensures that certain attitudes and posting styles that straddle the line don't remain unchecked, but it also means the flow of discussion isn't broken by a mod warning that didn't necessarily need to be public.

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Man I love this website. I do appreciate the idea of being a little more lax with moderation. Seems like you always see warnings of every kind for the smallest little thing. Nice change. Giftbot has been really great it seems, too. Keep up the good work on the site.

I know it's a pain, but perhaps warnings are most useful when there's a clear need to admonish someone publically, and anything requiring more of a personal tap on the shoulder could be done in PM? That ensures that certain attitudes and posting styles that straddle the line don't remain unchecked, but it also means the flow of discussion isn't broken by a mod warning that didn't necessarily need to be public.
Completely agree.

Also yeah the 300 posts and 3 months thing is completely fair. If you really want to post topics and such your gonna reach that post number in no time, and 3 months is nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
Also yeah the 300 posts and 3 months thing is completely fair. If you really want to post topics and such your gonna reach that post number in no time, and 3 months is nothing.
I agree with this, I do feel for those who started their account understanding it was 100 and 1 month, and who now need to get the longer totals

However the vast majority of people who post here and came from the old place will have gone though the 300 and 3 months junior period, as those were the rules in the old place, and in the long run it will be a benefit for everyone as you'll have fewer troll accounts breaking though the junior phase

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously like wth is this? One thing i hated about the previous site is they made ppl that visited casually feel alienated. Its cool to weed out trolls but its another to give others this sense of superiority just because they visited a site more or trolled harder for a longer period of time. I been here since day one and have gotten maybe one infraction but dont have time to post and post just to be heard. Thats not far and please don't start tht junior bs tht turned me off so much to the other site.
Increase in restrictions before being a normal member?! But what about the junior members who has registered before today like us, will we still need 100 posts and 1 month on this forums, before being a member?

I have joined in 6 March, and it's been 25 days, yet the admin announces changes in requirements to be a member!

I just want to know...Will MEMBERS registered before TODAY still REQUIRE 100 posts and 1 month of being HERE???? I would hate to see my requirement changed too, it's like you're also punishing the members who joined before today.[/QUOTE

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
I literally had 99 posts so to see the new thread requirement change from 100 to 300 is rather annoying to say the least.

There was a thread I wanted to start on a specific day in the middle of April but I guess I can't now :/
You should be fine since you hit the requirements today. You should be updated to member status shortly, you may possibly have to wait another 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.