The Old Guard
- Oct 24, 2017
Welcome to the ResetEra May 2018 Newsletter. If you're keeping track on your calendars, there are a mere eight days left until E3 kicks off. It's almost here! On our end we've been so busy that we almost have enough to talk about here to fill our own E3 Press Conference. Let's get to it.
E3 Rules and Reminders
We know that you're all eager to participate in the E3 excitement here on ResetEra. As this will be our very first E3, we’d like to go over some of the rules and guidelines that we'll be observing starting on June 9th and ending on June 14th. This information will be posted again in a locked, pinned thread in the video games section early next week.
- No Reaction Threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include “Why wasn’t the PS5 announced?”, “Did Ubisoft just win E3?” & “I can’t believe the Walmart Canada leak was completely real, except for Splinter Cell”. These sort of topics can be discussed within already existing threads such as the conference threads.
- Put effort into new news threads – During E3 there are sure to be many announcements regarding game software, hardware and services. If you are creating a news thread about such an announcement then please take the time to appropriately title the thread, keep it updated with all the details, and make sure that links and screenshots are included when appropriate. Low effort news threads may be subject to a lock.
- Do not thread whine / driveby post – This is a rule that already exists, but we’d like to stress that these types of posts will be heavily moderated during E3. Do not come into a thread, write something deliberately provocative, and bail out. Do not complain about the existence of a thread either; ignore it altogether if you have nothing to contribute.
- Don’t bump Pre E3 threads – Please do not bump old threads with new announcements or news that comes out during E3. Either post new news in a brand-new thread or in a thread that was created specifically to discuss that conference.
- Use the report button responsibly – If you believe that a user is breaking one of these rules or a general rule from the FAQ then you should use the report button to alert the moderation team. There is no need to engage the user in the thread and risk a warning or ban yourself. Please make sure that you have a valid reason for reporting a post and that you can articulate that reason clearly in your report. Keep in mind that we may not be able to respond to every report immediately during this busy period.
- The FAQ & ToS still apply – The above guidelines are not the only rules that we will enforce during E3 week. All of our rules outlined in the FAQ & ToS will still apply as normal.
- Enjoy E3 – The Electronic Entertainment Expo is an annual celebration of gaming and we want everyone to enjoy themselves on the forum and have fun during the event.
E3 Conference Thread Rules
The following information was posted last month in our newsletter, and we're reposting it this month as a reminder.
- Conference threads will be stickied an hour before the conferences and unlocked fifteen minutes before the conference or the pre-show.
- The conference threads will have at most two images, with a countdown clock, a link to at least one livestream, a link to at least one liveblog, and a list of games known and rumored to be shown.
- Creators for each conference thread have already been selected.
- GIFs within the first 100 posts of each thread will be deleted. We want people to be able to pull up the first page of the thread on their phones without killing their mobile data.
This month we released DayEra and NightEra, our brand new default light and dark skins, which boast a streamlined appearance and improvements to thread and forum navigation. In response to your bug reports and feedback, we also managed to put out a minor point update with adjustments to the NightEra colors and fixes for many of our known issues. Our team, including community volunteers, have been working very hard to get these releases out and will continue to improve and iterate upon them.
Major Server Upgrade
Keeping a site like this online throughout an event like E3 without any compromises in functionality is a challenge that should not be underestimated. Although our prior upgrades and the tireless work of our tech team have served us well so far, we knew we would have to up our game if we wanted to deliver the E3 experience that you deserve. For the past few months, our team has been working on our latest major server upgrade in order to better prepare us for extreme surges in traffic. We're pleased to report that this upgrade has now been completed and we appear to be as ready as we will ever be.
Mod Team Update
In the month of May we added one new moderator to the team. He's already been working hard and making great contributions in the short time he's been with us, and we're delighted that he can lend a hand. Please give a warm welcome to ColdSun!
As developers and publishers across the industry are busy preparing for the monster that is E3, Q&Era has been put on pause until after the event has concluded. You can always view previous Q&Eras here in the Archives any time!
New Game Releases
The following is a list of all the game releases in May that have an |OT| on ResetEra. If you see a game that was missed, please tag SweetNicole in a reply to this thread.
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia |OT| Valhalla Can Wait
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| Donkey's Got a Brand New Funk
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire |OT| Josh Sawyer's Pirates!
- Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Now on the Switch
- Omensight |OT| Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-
- SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: Strange Journey Redux |OT| Bizarre Trek Into Darkness
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition |OT| Link, Young Link, and Toon Link walk into a bar...
- Runner3 |OT| I'm Charles Martinet
- State of Decay 2 |OT| Not a zAAAmbie game
- Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night |OT| Memento mori: Remember you will dance
- Persona 5: Dancing Star Night |OT| Wake Up, Get On Up, Get Out There
- Dark Souls: Remastered |OT| The Dark Souls of remasters
- Detroit: Become Human |OT| Like Tears in Heavy Rain
- Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection｜OT｜For Me, It was Tuesday
- Pokemon Quest |OT| The Quest for Gen 8 continues
- Overload |OT| Descent into 6 Degrees of Freedom (w/ Steam giveaway!)
- The House in Fata Morgana - A Requiem for Innocence |OT| Back to the Mansion
As a programming notice, we'll be suspending Video Gaming Community Spotlights during E3 in order to cut down on the number of stickies. This program will resume upon E3's completion. Below are our community spotlights for the Video Games section during the month of May.
Below are our community spotlights for the EtcetEra section during the month of May.
- NHL |OT|
- Channel Awesome |OT|
- Video & Filmaking ERA |OT|
- Transformers |OT|
- EDM Era |OT|
- DutchERA |OT|
This month we wanted to highlight two remarkable threads.
The first is a wonderful piece of work written and posted by Elodes : Dark Souls is a Powerful Metaphor for Depression. To say that it is a well thought out and sourced thread is an understatement. It's an engaging, fascinating read and precisely the kind of thread that deserves recognition. Bravo Elodes!
The second thread we wanted to highlight is one that we've covered in the past. You might remember back in December we highlighted an effort by the community to crowdfund the treatment for one of ResetEra's own members who was told they had only 8 weeks to live. For those who have been following along his journey, you already know the good news, but those out of the loop, Talal is now in remission! You can read his update post and the thread here: Doctors told me today I have around 8 weeks to live [Update: in remission!]
Whew. We're almost there folks. If you plan to be with us during E3, please be sure to read this newsletter thoroughly as it contains crucial information for the event.
Thanks for being the best community on the internet! Have a wonderful E3!