ResetEra May 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Foreword

Welcome to the ResetEra May 2018 Newsletter. If you're keeping track on your calendars, there are a mere eight days left until E3 kicks off. It's almost here! On our end we've been so busy that we almost have enough to talk about here to fill our own E3 Press Conference. Let's get to it.

E3 Rules and Reminders

We know that you're all eager to participate in the E3 excitement here on ResetEra. As this will be our very first E3, we’d like to go over some of the rules and guidelines that we'll be observing starting on June 9th and ending on June 14th. This information will be posted again in a locked, pinned thread in the video games section early next week.
  • No Reaction Threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include “Why wasn’t the PS5 announced?”, “Did Ubisoft just win E3?” & “I can’t believe the Walmart Canada leak was completely real, except for Splinter Cell”. These sort of topics can be discussed within already existing threads such as the conference threads.
  • Put effort into new news threads – During E3 there are sure to be many announcements regarding game software, hardware and services. If you are creating a news thread about such an announcement then please take the time to appropriately title the thread, keep it updated with all the details, and make sure that links and screenshots are included when appropriate. Low effort news threads may be subject to a lock.
  • Do not thread whine / driveby post – This is a rule that already exists, but we’d like to stress that these types of posts will be heavily moderated during E3. Do not come into a thread, write something deliberately provocative, and bail out. Do not complain about the existence of a thread either; ignore it altogether if you have nothing to contribute.
  • Don’t bump Pre E3 threads – Please do not bump old threads with new announcements or news that comes out during E3. Either post new news in a brand-new thread or in a thread that was created specifically to discuss that conference.
  • Use the report button responsibly – If you believe that a user is breaking one of these rules or a general rule from the FAQ then you should use the report button to alert the moderation team. There is no need to engage the user in the thread and risk a warning or ban yourself. Please make sure that you have a valid reason for reporting a post and that you can articulate that reason clearly in your report. Keep in mind that we may not be able to respond to every report immediately during this busy period.
  • The FAQ & ToS still apply – The above guidelines are not the only rules that we will enforce during E3 week. All of our rules outlined in the FAQ & ToS will still apply as normal.
  • Enjoy E3 – The Electronic Entertainment Expo is an annual celebration of gaming and we want everyone to enjoy themselves on the forum and have fun during the event.
If you have any questions about these rules or in general, feel free to contact a staff member. Please note that it may take us some time to respond to your messages, especially during E3 week.

E3 Conference Thread Rules

The following information was posted last month in our newsletter, and we're reposting it this month as a reminder.
  • Conference threads will be stickied an hour before the conferences and unlocked fifteen minutes before the conference or the pre-show.
  • The conference threads will have at most two images, with a countdown clock, a link to at least one livestream, a link to at least one liveblog, and a list of games known and rumored to be shown.
  • Creators for each conference thread have already been selected.
  • GIFs within the first 100 posts of each thread will be deleted. We want people to be able to pull up the first page of the thread on their phones without killing their mobile data.
ResetEra 1.4: DayEra / NightEra

This month we released DayEra and NightEra, our brand new default light and dark skins, which boast a streamlined appearance and improvements to thread and forum navigation. In response to your bug reports and feedback, we also managed to put out a minor point update with adjustments to the NightEra colors and fixes for many of our known issues. Our team, including community volunteers, have been working very hard to get these releases out and will continue to improve and iterate upon them.

Major Server Upgrade

Keeping a site like this online throughout an event like E3 without any compromises in functionality is a challenge that should not be underestimated. Although our prior upgrades and the tireless work of our tech team have served us well so far, we knew we would have to up our game if we wanted to deliver the E3 experience that you deserve. For the past few months, our team has been working on our latest major server upgrade in order to better prepare us for extreme surges in traffic. We're pleased to report that this upgrade has now been completed and we appear to be as ready as we will ever be.

Mod Team Update

In the month of May we added one new moderator to the team. He's already been working hard and making great contributions in the short time he's been with us, and we're delighted that he can lend a hand. Please give a warm welcome to ColdSun!

Q&Era Update

As developers and publishers across the industry are busy preparing for the monster that is E3, Q&Era has been put on pause until after the event has concluded. You can always view previous Q&Eras here in the Archives any time!

New Game Releases

The following is a list of all the game releases in May that have an |OT| on ResetEra. If you see a game that was missed, please tag SweetNicole in a reply to this thread.
Video Gaming Community Spotlights

As a programming notice, we'll be suspending Video Gaming Community Spotlights during E3 in order to cut down on the number of stickies. This program will resume upon E3's completion. Below are our community spotlights for the Video Games section during the month of May.
EtcetEra Community Spotlights

Below are our community spotlights for the EtcetEra section during the month of May.
Thread Highlights

This month we wanted to highlight two remarkable threads.

The first is a wonderful piece of work written and posted by Elodes : Dark Souls is a Powerful Metaphor for Depression. To say that it is a well thought out and sourced thread is an understatement. It's an engaging, fascinating read and precisely the kind of thread that deserves recognition. Bravo Elodes!

The second thread we wanted to highlight is one that we've covered in the past. You might remember back in December we highlighted an effort by the community to crowdfund the treatment for one of ResetEra's own members who was told they had only 8 weeks to live. For those who have been following along his journey, you already know the good news, but those out of the loop, Talal is now in remission! You can read his update post and the thread here: Doctors told me today I have around 8 weeks to live [Update: in remission!]

Conclusion

Whew. We're almost there folks. If you plan to be with us during E3, please be sure to read this newsletter thoroughly as it contains crucial information for the event.

Thanks for being the best community on the internet! Have a wonderful E3!

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the reaction rules its a bit exaggerated.
PS: I clicked in this new alert and got 'log out'.

Will a thread about different ways to watch the stream be allowed? For example, I know some of us will be watching with GiantBomb, Easy Allies, or even watching a friend stream so we can see their reactions in real time.

Similarly, since there is no Sony E3 cinema event near me this year, I might do a group stream with some friends that night. Would like to know what / where / if we can all have a thread to discuss the ways to watch it.

Still think its a missed opportunity for Sony not to give us a way to watch it in VR, or at least check out part of the show floor and such in this manner.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Will a thread about different ways to watch the stream be allowed? For example, I know some of us will be watching with GiantBomb, Easy Allies, or even watching a friend stream so we can see their reactions in real time.

Similarly, since there is no Sony E3 cinema event near me this year, I might do a group stream with some friends that night. Would like to know what / where / if we can all have a thread to discuss the ways to watch it.

Still think its a missed opportunity for Sony not to give us a way to watch it in VR, or at least check out part of the show floor and such in this manner.
It's up to each individual community to organize a thread for E3 watching. Typically, there is off the top of my head Easy Allies and Giant Bomb coverage threads and Geoff with Youtube as well. I would check with those respective communities to see what their plans are.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is asking.

Looks good but I got one question...

The conference threads will ONLY be unlocked 15 minutes before a show starts...??? If its sticked and away from normal threads... why cant they be unlocked like an hour before the show starts?
The thread will be unlocked closer to show start so the thread isn't filled up with pages and pages of spam and such before the show actually starts.

It's up to each individual community to organize a thread for E3 watching. Typically, there is off the top of my head Easy Allies and Giant Bomb coverage threads and Geoff with Youtube as well. I would check with those respective communities to see what their plans are.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is asking.
Ah, thank you for that - makes sense!

My second paragraph was mostly me thinking out loud. There was a Twitch Era thread made but it has become mostly people spamming when they go live instead of sharing their channel and what they stream so we can help each other out and discuss how we approach things.

I guess I was just trying to figure out what I'm going to do since there are no E3 experience events in San Francisco Bay Area this year :P

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for all your hard work and effort on the site guys, its incredible you’re doing all this.
And Talal, we love you mate!

Nov 5, 2017
Are there any plans for a spoiler free thread with links to videos of the conferences? I know I won’t be able to watch them live this year, and trying to search for them on Youtube/Era afterwards will definitely end up with me seeing news about the reveals before I can watch them.

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
THANK YOU FOR LIMITING GIFS

I can't tell you how much I would rage due to threads being not navigable during e3 because 400mb embedded <american TV show> clips had to be inserted about the new hat on assassins creed 47

Oct 27, 2017
THANK YOU FOR LIMITING GIFS

I can't tell you how much I would rage due to threads being not navigable during e3 because 400mb embedded <american TV show> clips had to be inserted about the new hat on assassins creed 47
Yeah I love the gif usage here but in this instance as I'm mainly on mobile this is a godsend.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Should the server upgrade still see resetERA fall over during E3, do you have a contingency plan ready to boost server capacity?

Oct 25, 2017
SweetNicole

The Yoku's Island Express thread probably merits a nod: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...g-ball-wizard-theres-got-to-be-a-twist.45264/

(And this may be overly nitpicky, YMMV, but I got the wrong impression when I first read this line:

The conference threads will have at most two images, with a countdown clock, a link to at least one livestream, a link to at least one liveblog, and a list of games known and rumored to be shown.
...thinking it was referring to the entire thread for a moment! It's easy enough to realise what the right interpretation is, so perhaps it doesn't matter, but would it be better phrased as "the OP"?

You say GIFs will be deleted - do you mean that in the context of large animated GIFs only, or are we talking in the broader context of keeping images themselves to an absolute minimum for the opening page of the thread? For the past umpteen years, I've developed an automatic E3 Bingo card generator, and usually passed that link on to the official thread creator. If I get around to doing that this year (I've got a fair bit on, so I might not), should I add a line actively discouraging posting cards in the OTs' first page?

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands

ColdSun

☠️ Highway to the Danger Zone ☠️
Oct 25, 2017
Elodes, I look forward to reading your future threads. Your Dark Souls thread was not only a pleasure to read but was presented in a very professional manner.

Oct 26, 2017
All the E3 rules sound good! Looking forward to it.

Enjoy E3 – The Electronic Entertainment Expo is an annual celebration of gaming and we want everyone to enjoy themselves on the forum and have fun during the event.
True that! I hope things dont become overly negative or hyperbolic.

Feb 6, 2018
Berlin, Germany
“I can’t believe the Walmart Canada leak was completely real, except for Splinter Cell”
ooof. don't jinx it.

If there is a pre-show for any of the conferences, those can be covered in a separate pre-show thread.
Conference threads will be stickied an hour before the conferences and unlocked fifteen minutes before the conference or the pre-show.
I'm a bit confused. Which of the two is it now?

Oct 25, 2017
All this seems easy enough. Basically it's going to be like having a main thread for the games announcement? So if Splinter Cell is announced then there will just be a splinter cell thread for the most part? Guess they should be treated like mini OT at this point. I think that's a good idea because if there's like 8 different threads about a new game it's hard to keep track of where to actually post about it.

Andy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed at how well organized and moderated this forum is. It will be a pleasure to be here for its first E3. Thank you again for all your hard work.

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to thank the team on your amazing work making this the best site it can be.
Your dedication and passion is very evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.