• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
A new adventure awaits...

24211612728_8602ceee35_b.jpg

Hello resetera members! My name is MarkMan. I originally started this thread on the old forum almost 13 years ago. The reason why I love this thread is because of... perspective. It shows what people are into. It shows what people are spending their money on and it shows who pays attention to what (and why).

It can be a drain on the wallet, sure... but it can also be a reminder of things I want (or don't want).

It brings people together with common interests and it is a way for me to chronicle my journey as a gamer & individual as the years go by.

You know... I first started this thread back in 2006 with a clear goal to see REAL photos (not something I can google online) because I wanted to see the personality & individuality in what we all like.

resetera MAY 2019 Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + MORE (REAL PICS ONLY)!

Dear resetera,

We have reached the FIFTH month of 2019! How were your first 4 months of 2019?! How has your year been so far?

Achievement Unlocked! FOUR months down in 2019!

In typical new month fashion, let's reflect on the previous month and post our favorite pick-ups from April 2019. As we go through May 2019, let's post our latest pick-ups as well! Take care everyone!

Your Neighborhood Friendly,
MarkMan

Welcome to the NEW monthly tradition on resetera! Since November 2006 <3 !!!

For those of you new to this thread, this is a place for us to show off our new pickups and discuss them!

REMINDER! Or get banned!

Post ACTUAL pictures! No one cares to see pictures they can find on google images....

Post ACTUAL pictures! No one cares to see pictures they can find on google images....

6434662657_d8e641d917_o.jpg

Mods are <3 and have banned people that DO NOT READ/FOLLOW the op!

ALSO!

Do not CRITICIZE other people's pick ups. This is a friendly thread. No need for insults!

Do not CRITICIZE other people's pick ups. This is a friendly thread. No need for insults!

ARCHIVES:

Oh yea I wanted to say one more thing!!

6434662657_d8e641d917_o.jpg

---

April has been filled with travel. I won't be home for awhile but I did get a few neat things before I left...

54247504_1503292509803170_5761816030265022600_n.jpg

Closer to finishing my home office & stream area. Picked up another ASUS monitor. All I need to do now is clean up the wiring and set up a sound bar.

58410272_542954739563357_3191636288806505837_n.jpg

Some stuff to browse while on the road... a cool mook filled with Air Max 95 goodness and an Injustice VS Masters of the Universe graphic novel...

AND... by far the coolest thing I got this past month? I found something old that I had all along...

Have a good one, resetera! If you'd like to follow my adventures, please follow me on twitter or instagram (both accounts are @MarkMan23)!

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
New month already? Man time sure does fly.
Here is a throwback to what I bought last month, will be a while before any May games arrive.

v8TSLcF.jpg

NTApei6.jpg

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Starting with new magazines, here are the latest from EDGE, PC Gamer, Retro Gamer and Wireframe:

hkbZdQ9.jpg

l8GPl70.jpg

PS4 games - a physical copy of Spyro Reignited, then Kingdom Hearts 3 and Just Cause 4:

S8f3O5C.jpg

The Ace Attorney Trilogy for Switch, as a physical import from Japan:

oe42bYg.jpg

Keeping up to date with Zelda amiibo:

SSmjPDj.jpg

And finally, the Collector's Edition guide for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice:

Zn6LFCD.jpg

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
Entered the dangerously expensive but cool world of more custom mechanical keyboards! A TADA68 with Gateron Brown Silent switches specifically. Feels really good right now, but I plan to get some different keycaps on this thing eventually.

96jdmYp.jpg

javac

Oct 28, 2017
On Your Mark B2 Poster
haz7GWqh.jpg

Lupin Mirror
rYYgk1A.jpg

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise Cel
Uh3Q0CY.jpg

Galaxy Express 999 cel and background
RPxBXPW.jpg

Eevee Tamagotchi
66Ejz1f.jpg

Tales of Vesperia Switch
lcTiHY9.jpg

Oculus Go
IUfTqGI.jpg

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
These things have always looked rad to me. Aren't they like... really short even with the stands? How have they worked out for you?

How has the emulation seemed to you?
The Asteroids and Street fighter I replaced all the buttons with Happ buttons and street fighter got real Sanwa sticks too now they both feel great. The emulation is really good.

The Mortal Kombat machine is very good sticks look and feel just like my street fighter Sanwa sticks and the buttons feel really good. The audio does crackle some but if you can button combo to the service menu you can adjust it since it's set to max in the software. The new MK cab also came with the deck protector. The risers were $39 a piece at local Walmart.

My kids started this they bought me street fighter for Christmas then my daughter got me Asteroids when her store clearance them that one was $120 and MK being the newest was obviously $299. The risers help a lot I'm 6'1 and they feel perfect.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The Asteroids and Street fighter I replaced all the buttons with Happ buttons and street fighter got real Sanwa sticks too now they both feel great. The emulation is really good.

The Mortal Kombat machine is very good sticks look and feel just like my street fighter Sanwa sticks and the buttons feel really good. The audio does crackle some but if you can button combo to the service menu you can adjust it since it's set to max in the software. The new MK cab also came with the deck protector. The risers were $39 a piece at local Walmart.

My kids started this they bought me street fighter for Christmas then my daughter got me Asteroids when her store clearance them that one was $120 and MK being the newest was obviously $299. The risers help a lot I'm 6'1 and they feel perfect.
Sweet! Thanks for replying. Glad to hear you can swap out parts. I wasn't looking into it that much (since I don't own any of these) but I was under the impression that the buttons and sticks were like... "encased" in some area that made it more difficult to replace them with better parts. Glad I was incorrect about that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post, and I only have the one thing today... I have more stuff coming starting the weekend and through next week, but I wanted to post this because (and I can't remember from what thread) I saw someone asking about it (this way I can just refer them to this post if I come across it again).

This thing finally came back in stock at Amazon.
4yu0Rhs.jpg

4je2vdC.jpg

I really like the way it looks. I was under the impression that the plastic had more of a tiny purple hint to it, but nope... it's just grey and those maroon shoulder buttons must've fooled me.

Obviously, aside from the shape and the fact the Genesis version has one more button (the mode button), the Saturn pad feels very similar to that one. The d-pad is the tiniest bit smaller than the Genesis pad, and the cross is a little fatter so it does feel a little different when using it, but it feels like it moves and pivots in the same way. The buttons have the same feeling when pressing them as the Genesis pad, and the only difference I feel in the buttons are in the shoulder buttons. The Saturn pad's shoulder buttons are a bit softer to press with a soft, muffled clack to them, and the Genesis pad's shoulder buttons have a more satisfying click and press to them. The Saturn pad's shoulder buttons barely have any travel so other than the muffled clack, it might be hard to know if you're even pressing it (if that makes sense).

Here's the Genesis pad from last month's thread if you haven't seen it.

I played a little bit of Super C using an emulator with the new Saturn pad and it feels good. I think if I were to pick one over another, I like the Genesis pad's feeling a little bit more. The Saturn pad, like the Genesis pad, also defaults as a D-input controller when you plug it into your computer, but when you hold the start button long enough it will switch into X-input mode.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
On the right just got today GET OVER HERE!
fO4l4kx.jpg
PnuTYjS.jpg
FngZOKh.jpg

How'd you track down the mortal kombat cabinet? Arcade1up originally said it was coming out in September, but I saw them say it was now going to just start showing up in Walmarts. Did you just walk in and find it there? Or did you call around to local stores?

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
How'd you track down the mortal kombat cabinet? Arcade1up originally said it was coming out in September, but I saw them say it was now going to just start showing up in Walmarts. Did you just walk in and find it there? Or did you call around to local stores?
Walmart website said in stock for ship to home or store. I did to store and picked it up 3 days later. Guys in store were freaking out they hadn't seen one yet till mine showed up.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Alienware AW3418DW. Coming from an older Dell 34" ultrawide but the 120Hz and G-Sync make a big difference. Also lower response time and better image quality plus the customizeable lighting which I love.

photomay0175515pm3vkht.jpg

photomay0175534pmbkkup.jpg

Finally bit on a new camera and got the Canon 800D (aka Rebel T7i).

image16vmk77.png

image20p1kml.png

Also wanted to add some more storage for the PC, got this Crucial 1TB PCI-E and a PCI-E adapter/heatsink with LEDs. I don't think heatsinks for SSDs are necessary but I wanted the PCI-E adapter because my second M.2 slot has the disk sticking out of the motherboard

image14j3k6q.png

image176ekvl.png

Nice! Do you have a link? I can't even find it on Wal-Mart's site.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mortal-Kombat-2-Arcade-Machine-Arcade1UP-4ft-Walmart-Exclusive/562017574

Last edited:

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Alienware AW3418DW. Coming from an older Dell 34" ultrawide but the 120Hz and G-Sync make a big difference. Also lower response time and better image quality plus the customizeable lighting which I love.

photomay0175515pm3vkht.jpg

photomay0175534pmbkkup.jpg

Finally bit on a new camera and got the Canon 800D (aka Rebel T7i).

image16vmk77.png

image20p1kml.png

Also wanted to add some more storage for the PC, got this Crucial 1TB PCI-E and a PCI-E adapter/heatsink with LEDs. I don't think heatsinks for SSDs are necessary but I wanted the PCI-E adapter because my second M.2 slot has the disk sticking out of the motherboard

image14j3k6q.png

image176ekvl.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mortal-Kombat-2-Arcade-Machine-Arcade1UP-4ft-Walmart-Exclusive/562017574

Thanks for that link! It doesn't come up when you search for it, have to use a direct link.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Some things I got over the weekend with some stuff that arrived today.

ZN5Df9m.jpg

I got this because I was always... curious about it and it was only 10 dollars still "new." Thought I'd get it in case it went BC and people would try to sell it for way too much like they seem to be trying now with NG3RE.

mkAqQy2.jpg

I thought the original series was so cool when I watched it wayyy back when it was first on tv. I didn't finish it though, because we moved part-way through the airing back to the States. I did buy the recent BluRay collection that came with the original series and like 2 movies but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I bought this now while it's still available. I'm not sure when I'll get around to watching the entire series to be honest, though.

wSNnf02.jpg

I just got this, and I'm pretty salty I can't find vol 1 anywhere to purchase. I could always just watch the episodes on Youtube, but I want physical copies lol. (Look at all that MEGA POWER!)

0Tj0m6A.jpg

I thought the NES version of this book was pretty neat, but didn't care to get the Super Nintendo version because I've never had a Super Nintendo. I bought this on estarland when shopping for other stuff.
speaking of...
WX68DYY.jpg

Hey look! It's my first Super Nintendo game! I should be getting a Super NT delivered pretty soon and I've wanted to play this since like back when Screwattack used to gush about it back in the Video Game Vaults and Top Ten Beat'emUps videos, but never had a SNES to play it. Got the manual separately off ebay.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Working as garbage men sometimes has is perks, found this little gem near a dumpster and is freaking working! The game was included too.

IrObcqO.jpg

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
J8WAthjl.jpg
I had to do it. My 3rd or 4th time going through the game, and I still love it.

ICrazyJI

Feb 27, 2019
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum keyboard and Logitech G502 Hero mouse. I love the way the keys feel on this better than the Corsair K70 I used to have.
fmkJl6ml.jpg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
aGitwu9.jpg

My Super NT arrived. I'm glad I got a Super Turrican: Director's Cut box. I would've figured they'd be out of them by now, since it's been more than a year since they first released the Super NT, so that was a nice surprise. I got the black one because I really liked the look of the black-only SN30 controller. That isn't new (the controller) and I've modded this damn thing to where the dpad definitely "behaves" better, but it still feels like garbage and cardinal directions too often seem to elicit diagonal inputs. At least it's not "always" like when it was stock, I guess... I think I might actually drill a hole in the top so I can shove in a standard SNES controller into and just use it wired. I kinda hate using it , but it looks so good (and also it's the only Super Nintendo controller I have now lol). I was able to beat Super C while using it on my AVS with the NES "Retro Receiver" after "adjusting" the little stickers for a while.
So far I've found this is the best spot for them, any closer-in, and I'd get the diagonals a lot more. Further-out and it'd actually get difficult to get out diagonals and I'd have to press harder on the dpad to register inputs.
d3DNg6Z.jpg
I get the best results when they're placed here.
141dDLN.jpg
Use a craft knife to hover it over where you want it, then press it down.
I ended up using an entire sheet lol.

gl1AsMp.jpg

The real "Pro" consoles next to my 4K tv lol. Glad to see most of the roms I dumped from the SNES Classic work fine on it, with only 6 of them not running at all (expansion chip carts aren't supported, so that's Kirby Super Star, Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, and of course StarFox 1&2). I thought Mega Man X had an expansion chip, but it seems to work fine. I guess maybe that was one of the later games in the series?

I already dumped my copy of Turtles in Time on it too. I like how easy it is. I hope we'll be able to do so on the Mega SG in the future. I'd really like if we could dump games on the AVS too (since NES games are like the trickiest for me to get IMO), but I guess retroUSB already sells a device (that's rarely in stock) for dumping NES games. I'm not interested in doing the heavy mod-work (or paying someone else to do it for me) either.

Speaking of "Super... whatever," here's my Dragon Ball pickup for the month.
M42WYDD.jpg

Also got Raiden V on PS4 solely because I wanted a CD of the soundtrack. I already have a physical copy of the Xbox One version, and I've complained about this before, but I'm still salty I didn't get a soundtrack CD with that. I guess it was for pre-orders only, but I was under the impression that it was all first-run games. I'd rather have the Xbox One soundtrack CD since it more closely matches the soundtrack CD I have for Raiden IV, but copies of that on ebay are more expensive than I want.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double-post (hey man... it's two days later okay?)

Just got this one thing today, but I think it's pretty rad.
I never bought these "8Bit NES" carts before, because I had already missed some (they're only on sale for limited periods before Christmas, I think) but I just realized last week that the 2017 cart was like a multicart for the ones from 2008-2016 (I kinda want to track down a copy of 2018 now, lol).
HSiuNcq.jpg

That black label is actually an LCD that rotates through each year as you select them from the menu! Apparently, if you put it in a top-loader, it knows and will flip the picture so it won't be upside-down on display. I don't know if it would do that with an NT mini, though.
Luckily, the AVS' top door is easily removed so it's easy to display the cart and its lights (you know, like 7 months from now lol).
riLEBm0.jpg

Better shot of the "label."
IHH9zzy.jpg

Here's a short webm of it flipping through the years on the label.
WARNING, VIDEO HAS FLASHING LIGHTS!
sorry... hard to get the exposure right with the lights blinking on and off lol.

The homebrew games on it aren't really that great. I just like it for the blinky lights and the chiptune Christmas music.

Last edited:

Oct 27, 2017
Snip
The homebrew games on it aren't really that great. I just like it for the blinky lights and the chiptune Christmas music.

^Thanks for this. I had the site pulled up ready to go. The kids might like it as a Xmas novelty but if the games aren't worth it I won't bother.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Picked up Mega Man Zero and Zero 3 for GBA! I love Mega Man and I've never played these, heard they're pretty good.

IMG-7182.jpg

I want to try and own all of Platinum's games, as well as their work from back when they were Clover, so I've been filling in some gaps. Bought Viewtiful Joe 2 from an online used games place but never saw a picture, figured I'd take a chance. The game and manual are perfect but the case came in all messed up and broken. I also had to trim the cover a bit because it was all frayed. I had an old Wii case lying around so I used that. Not perfect solution but it's not a big deal. Had to do something similar for a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends.

IMG-7184.jpg

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
This month I decided to not buy any AES games and focus a bit on other consoles that I wanted to get some specific games.
I first bought Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and the sealed Gameboy color games. A couple days later I found the Pokemon GC games for a really good price and couldn't say no since I wanted them for some time now.
I also received a lot of LRG games, including Axiom Verge for the WiiU and now my WiiU set is complete again.

qJrhKp1h.jpg

BlueKoopa

Apr 28, 2019
Indiana
Picked up Mega Man Zero and Zero 3 for GBA! I love Mega Man and I've never played these, heard they're pretty good.

IMG-7182.jpg

Bit late on the response but these games are fantastic. Love the Zero series. 1 has some issues because of a weird grinding requirement for basic moves like the triple slash and the scarcity of lives (never spend a life save them for the end please) but its still pretty good. Zero 3 is fantastic and arguably the best Zero game (and one of the best Mega Man games) but I recommend you play Zero 2 first. The Zero games are very story driven.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
20190510_171004.jpg

As someone who remembers the first time seeing MK at my local 7-11 I couldn't resist.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
New issues of Wireframe and Retro Gamer:

Uz7fqOy.jpg

The recent Google Home Mini promotion was enough to convince me to give one a go:

om573uw.jpg

Then finally, well, suffice to say that i rather enjoyed Avengers Endgame!

s9L3a7r.jpg

KA7m5Dm.jpg

HlUNX57.jpg

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
This month I decided to not buy any AES games and focus a bit on other consoles that I wanted to get some specific games.
I first bought Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and the sealed Gameboy color games. A couple days later I found the Pokemon GC games for a really good price and couldn't say no since I wanted them for some time now.
I also received a lot of LRG games, including Axiom Verge for the WiiU and now my WiiU set is complete again.

qJrhKp1h.jpg
What region are those GBA games from? First time seeing an "L" for a rating before.

Volkoff

Oct 27, 2017
Yo-hio
Decided to pre-order some goodness from Bethesda:

5Qp1biP.jpg

And, thanks in part to the anime on Netflix and Hulu, i needed some more One Punch Man in my life:

heMy1gC.jpg

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there...

Got me some junk!
Bought one of these BitBox Cases for the single SNES game I have, lol. Got it from Stoneagegamer. (all the other games I play on my Super NT I ripped off my SNES Classic. I need to figure out how to pull VC sfrom games off my Wii U now).
VivHYPp.jpg

They offer to cut the print for you but say that it "might be a mm or 2 off" when they do (edit: it actually says may shift up to 1/16" so... about the same thing lol). I think they'd probably still do a better job than I did, lol (note that red bar on the right-hand side).
k06VQwr.jpg

If you order the prints with your order, the whole order waits for the prints to be done to ship (Wednesday/Thursday), so it's probably best to order the case and art separately if you don't just print it on your own (they have a site where you can download them all if you want to just print them yourself).
Aull3wf.jpg

Here's the inside. The horizontal cut-away is for Super Famicom games, I think.
I didn't want to check out with a cart of only like 4something dollars so as I looked around for something else to get, I saw this was in stock there.
IV5ztzg.jpg

I've wanted a Retrode for a long-ass time, but never knew like... how to buy one. I would see them in stock at Dragon Box like years ago, but I just didn't want to order something so expensive from an overseas store, I guess.
I still hope that Analogue adds some kind of rom-dumping utility to the Mega SG like what you can do with their other FPGA consoles, but I'm still happy to have this thing.
Especially since I bought this thing too.
Nw08ybr.jpg

I hope someone makes and produces an NES plugin for the Retrode. Apparently someone made one, but it's not "good enough" for production. I kinda hate dicking around with my kazzo (Italians, chill lol). note: "kazzo" is the name of an old NES game dumping device/reprogrammer that's now discontinued by InfiniteNESLives (they have something new out that does basically the same thing, I think).

Also, got this thing. I've wanted a copy of this game for a while even though I already have a US copy.
pHL70KL.jpg

Akumajou Densetsu (japanese Castlevania III).
I think it needs to be cleaned though, because it's really... "finnicky" and glitchy in my AVS. Sounds neat though, I guess (I might still prefer the NES version's soundtrack because I think "Mad Forest" sounds better on that version).

edit: Oh right, I got this too.
Ag4BpL0.jpg

I got my SNES Classic Edition new, but it didn't come with a poster which bothered me a lot for some reason. Just bought one off ebay for ten clams.
I don't know why I was so bothered by it, it's just going in the box and I doubt I'll see it again, lol...

Last edited:

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Picked up Hellblade and the Quantic Dream Collection...
2ecuWCrl.jpg

... I'm almost done with Hellblade on the Switch, but want to go back and play it on PS4 later.
Also got the classic video game ballad "Press X to Jason" on iTunes.

And I just got home with this shiny copy of Cytus Alpha...
GTZABiHl.jpg

... my store was doing a late night release for Rage 2, so they let me pick it up tonight.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still need to get a physical copy of Hellblade, but considering that Ninja Theory is owned by MS now I'll probably go for the XB1 version even though I get most multiplats on PS4.

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
sKnXnNE.jpg

A bunch of Saturn games I had ordered late April(Sakura Wars 1/2, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Far East of Eden IV, King of Fighters '96)

eruGV0X.jpg

Retro-Bit Saturn Slate Grey Controller from AC Games in Toronto. Honestly didn't find any supplier in Canada prior to this so I was really happy to get it without spending equal in shipping costs.

Code of Princess EX as I had always wanted the original on 3ds but lost interest by the time it was cheap and I could buy digital.
$30 on Amazon was just the perfect price, and it seemed like it was fate considering I wanted the original to tide me through that early 3DS drought and now I've got nothing on the horizon for switch until Astral Chain.