• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
V9FRRcY.png

Welcome to ResetEra's official MOTY list for 2018!
Just in time for after the Academy Awards ceremony, the results for ResetEra's Best Movies of 2018 are finally here.

This year, maybe because of the shorter time frame for the voting process or maybe due to the films themselves (or any other reason), we had our lowest count in individual lists/votes since I've been doing the MOTYs (here and on the other site as well). If you have suggestions of how we can improve in the future the voting thread to incentivise more ResetEra members to vote, don't hesitate to write them here.

Compared to last year's 145 individual lists, this year we had 94. What's very interesting however is the high number of unique films, something I'm always happy to see grow. Last year we've already had a greater number of individual films compared to previous MOTYs, but this year we really went the extra mile. If last year we had 138 unique films in 145 lists, this year in only 94 lists we have 135 films. That's only 3 films less than last year. Another interesting aspect is related to the votes for the number 1 film. While there was a bit of an obvious winner, the film's number 1 picks represented only a bit more than a quarter of its total votes. Compare that to Blade Runner 2049 last year having half of its votes as number one. The number one picks were generally a lot more diverse this year.

Now, before we jump to the top, I do want to thank everyone for voting and sharing their opinion. Just as I did in previous years, I took the liberty of choosing a few quotes for each movie in the top 10 from the voting thread, but if you prefer not to be quoted let me know with a PM and I'll remove your quote. I tried to use as many opinions from different people and I tried to get unique quotes...

You will find the complete list with all the films submitted in the next post, along with their respective number of votes and points. Also links to the voting thread and last year's MOTY will be at the bottom of this post.

One more thing, as I mentioned in the voting thread, to show my appreciation towards your involvement in voting for ResetEra's best films of the year, I will be rewarding a 4K UHD + BluRay edition of our number 1 film. The winner will be chosen through a random name picker and (again as mentioned in the voting thread) only voters who wrote thoughts about their picks will qualify. I've also checked online and there seems to be a different release date for the film's UHD depending on the region, so it will take a little bit of time before the film gets to you. Hopefully this will also prevent the problems we had last year when we reached our fourth name because the first three already owned the film (Yams was last year's winner). More details to come.

So here we go..

01. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
373 Points | 46 Votes | 13 No. 1 Votes

rS1sz0t.jpg

For the very first time (I've tried to go back as far as I could with these lists) there is an animation taking the number one spot. I'm pretty sure if you've quickly glanced at the voting thread you saw this one coming. No genre is safe from the hands of Marvel Entertainment (do a musical next please!), but this superhero movie is definitely different, capturing the hearts of even the most stubborn superhero haters out there like myself. It's a smart and humorous visual feast that's not afraid to embrace the passion it has for its legacy. Finding itself on almost half of the lists submitted, Into the Spider-Verse doubles down on showing what an excellent year for Spidey, 2018 has been.

Here are some thoughts on why Spidey deserves the crown this year:
The ultimate love letter to the character. A well-done story that nails an exceptional balance of heart, humor, and action. An unparalleled visual feast. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is many things, but as a whole, the movie embraces the character's roots in a way none of the adaptations, film or show, have before.
spider-verse effectively mixes both a unique, comic-book inspired 3D aesthetic with 2D stills and effects, making the upmost out of crazy compositions and editing techniques to a dizzying effect. miles morales's journey to save the multiverse is frequently funny, always visually stunning, and surprisingly emotional; whilst the film's final sequences don't quite follow through in a fully satisfactory manner, it still cements itself as this year's greatest superhero movie and perhaps amongst the most creative animated films of all time.

02. The Favourite
270 Points | 39 Votes | 6 No. 1 Votes

zfIOYaC.jpg

How far Yorgos Lanthimos has come in the past 10 years. From the depths of Greek cult filmmaker status all the way to having his latest film, The Favourite, nominated for 10 Academy Awards (the lovely Olivia Colman winning the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role) and grabbing the second place in ResetEra's MOTY 2018. This ridiculous Theresa May biopic can be found as either appalling by some with very different expectations or as being the more accessible film in the director's filmography by his most versed fans. One thing is certain, the film definitely holds the same DNA with Lanthimos' past works and just like with those films, the true nuances show up only after you peel the first layer or two. Hidden between heavy taffeta and lavish decor, the same themes and obsessions can be found, all used once again by Lanthimos to try and create an interesting x-ray of the human mind and heart.

Why people chose it:
A very perverse, very British joy to watch. A fantastic, smart, sharp witted take on period piece drama with three fantastic leading ladies including a Olivia Coleman's best of the year turn as Queen Anne.
While I've highly enjoyed, to varying degrees, all of Yorgos Lanthimos' films, The Favourite is very possibly his best. Though slightly more conventional than his prior work, his love of eccentricity remains on full display throughout. The lavish and typically mannered 18th century setting complements the bizarrely petty and vindictive conflicts that dominate the story perfectly. Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone, and Olivia Colman in particular, are delightful throughout, delivering each piece of acerbic wit with a sly and playful fervor that is remarkably amusing. Nicholas Hoult, as well, is hilarious. The ending of the film, satisfyingly eschewing any sort of predictability or neatly defined resolve, is a subtly evocative and melancholic piece of imagery that seems perfect only in retrospect.

03. Avengers: Infinity War
237 Points | 35 Votes | 7 No. 1 Votes

bdiWIHK.jpg

I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to give an opinion on this film, but boy ResetEra (and the whole world apparently) really loves its Marvel superheroes.
With the snap of a finger, Infinity War broke so many records it's not even funny. And it sort of makes sense when we realise that this is pretty much the culmination of all those years of films, be it following individual Marvel superheroes or groups. That + having already a winning formula on their hand + the interesting, fluctuating tone used in the film + a villain people actually people seemed to like for once + that heart rending ending = assured success. Speaking of ending, that's one way of making sure the next film will break even more records. All I can say is… see you on this list next year M Avengers.

I'll let others explain better why this film is on this list:
I'll be perfectly honest. Unless I ended up hating this, this movie was always going to be #1 film of the year. It may have taken 10 years to finally get to this point, but the wait was absolutely worth it. I loved this movie from start to finish and I can not wait until Endgame to see the conclusion of this decade-long journey.
Judging this on a bit of a different scale. It's an action extravaganza without much below the surface, but I was undeniably impressed at it from a conceptual point of view, where it exists as this sequel to so many different movies simultaneously. Moreso than either prior Avengers, I think. And despite the obviously impermanent nature of the ending and some of the events throughout, I found the mood of the film was enough to help me suspend my disbelief. Refreshingly dark, for Marvel, even with all the wisecracks.

04. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
230 Points | 43 Votes | 0 No. 1 Votes

u5l8xCQ.jpg

Set piece after set piece, Mission Impossible: Fallout almost begs the question.. can there be too much action in an action film?! The answer is apparently not and the film showed up on 43 lists in the voting thread (only 3 less than Spider-Man, but nobody placed the film on the no. 1 place). While having pretty much all of the script as a sort of afterthought, just a means to prepare the next set piece more than anything else, the film stands out through its impressive and numerous stunts and choreography. It's an action film in its most pure, raw form… a sort of personal ballet orchestrated by Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise. Not sure what kind of magic cocktail they give the famous actor in his scientology practices, but the guy is 56 years old and seeing him do all those stunts is seriously impressive. Plus, Cruise & McQuarrie released that video talking against motion smoothing in TVs. That alone should grant Fallout a place on this list.

Making it clear, this is the best Mission Impossible by a decent margin and I think Rogue Nation is one of my favorite action films in the last 5 years or so. This movie is batshit crazy. There at least 6 sequences that could be other action films climactic scenes. The thrill that pervades throughout Fallout is something else. It's the first time the series has presented a situation that I truly felt ok that's impossible, and then managed to surprise me how they ultimately pulled it off. That goes for this series as well, they keep making these movies better every time, the cruise mission isn't slowing down and it's picking up speed. Right now, I can't fathom how they rachet up where they went with that happened in Fallout but damn if I can't help but be excited to see them try. Tom Cruise running ranking 4/5.
I never expected an action movie to hit the heights of Mad Max Fury Road for a while, but three years later, we have a contender. Brutal fight scenes, a fucking HALO jump, an hour long cat and mouse sequence, a silly amount of twists, it's just a crazy ride that never stops to give you a breath. Yeah, Cavill's acting is still as wooden as ever, and it's getting ridiculous how much Tom Cruise is still doing in these films, but fuck, you gotta sit down and respect the craft.

05. First Reformed
213 Points | 29 Votes | 8 No. 1 Votes

jLWIOwF.jpg

Schrader is a true treasure of cinema and I think probably never got as close as a director to his own writings in "Transcendental style in film" as he did with First Reformed. But more than that, given Schrader's troubled past, distribution wise, with his own films, I'm just so happy with the recognition and success First Reformed is getting (nasty side-eye to the Academy). What a beautiful, almost impeccable and daring film. Yes, there are times when he's doing his usual and goes a bit over, but I don't think Schrader has been this balanced and practical with some of these themes he has worked with for so long. It might be only in the fifth place on this list, but interestingly enough First Reformed holds the highest number of No. 1 Votes after Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
A quietly staggering work, which really sneaks up on you in its intensity, surreality and gut-wrenching bleakness. This is one of the only films from the last few years which I feel actually captures what it is to live in this moment of time - a looming, inescapable sense of despair and destruction which no-one is doing anything about because no-one wants to admit that it's coming, be that because it is convenient to their contorted belief system to ignore it, or that it's convenient to their bottom line (or both, the case may be). Ethan Hawke's performance is subtle but completely crushing, this whole thing really shook me to my core in a way that not much has. If you're looking for a film to get you into radical eco-terrorism, or just to give you a fucking horrendous idea for a cocktail, this is for you.
Ethan Hawke's acting alone makes this worth watching. The minimalist direction also really worked for me and while the story is fundamentally quite simple it touches on a lot of important themes. The ending also really blew me away.

06. Annihilation
211 Points | 36 Votes | 3 No. 1 Votes

XZ0sTbJ.jpg

Bold and beautiful, Alex Garland's second feature as a director definitely pushes an interesting and ambitious concept. Trying to combine the sensibilities one would find in the sci-fi films of Tarkovsky, like Solaris or Stalker, with the horrifying buildup of films like The Thing or Alien is one hell of an idea to attempt in filmmaking. Not saying he succeeded, but there's definitely a trace of this philosophy marriage in there. While I personally enjoyed my time with it, I definitely felt sometimes that this risky attempt was also Annihilation's worst enemy. It tries too hard at times and it hides a lot of its mistakes behind the mask of cryptic pretensions, but if there's one thing clear… Garland is definitely presenting himself as a director one should follow.

Some thoughts about the film:
Unlike Ocean's 8, this all female cast was given plenty to work with. This is part horror, part hard Sci-Fi and the end result will leave you speechless. The final 20 minutes is without a doubt the most riveting, breath-taking sequence I've seen in a long time. This absolutely belongs amongst the greatest Sci-Fi films of all time.
The last part of this movie had the most alien encounter and atmosphere I can remember seeing in a film ever. As in, this feels like something completely unlike the nature we know. My jaw was on the floor there for a solid fifteen minutes. The whole film was an intriguing mystery even though I had read the books beforehand for this very lose adaption with only some key elements and setup intact. I'm not one for forcing my hobbies and likes onto other people but I convinced my wife to see this through (my second viewing) just in case she would have the same revelatory experience I had despite her aversion for the genre. She didn't take to it like I did but she had a deep & instinctive disturbance over that ending.

07. Hereditary
208 Points | 29 Votes | 7 No. 1 Votes

rT6NuKy.jpg

These past few years have really seen a resurgence in good quality horror films, but maybe because of so many of them share similar sensibilities they start showing a little bit their limits. Nevertheless, watching Hereditary in a fully packed cinema added a whole extra layer to the experience, both in a funny and terrifying way and I have friends who couldn't sleep properly after watching the film. A lot of it is due to Ari Aster's powerful direction, showing a very interesting determination and skill for a debut as it never stops building suspense. Oh and Toni Collette's performance is insanely good, beyond whatever expectation one might have regarding this film, begging for a major award (nasty side-eye to the Academy).
Quite possibly the most tense, unnerving horror film that I've ever seen. When people talk about "slow-burn" horror films, this should be the prime example. From the very first scene, the atmosphere gives off an unnerving, weird vibe as the audience can tell something is wrong, but not entirely sure what it is. The only problem I had with the movie was the ending which I felt was a bit of a lazy rip-off of a certain 1960s film that dealt with the same themes as this one. But the expert use of tension, the understated horror, the phenomenal performances (Toni Collette getting snubbed just goes to show that the Academy will never consider horror to be a serious genre), and the family drama on display made this the only film of 2018 that actually made me feel something. A haunting experience that I will never forget.
Ari Aster creates 2018's arguably best horror movie in a terrific showcase for the recent brilliant American Art Horror Wave. He masterfully composes a story about mental illness, paranoia of its potential hereditary roots, grief, family dynamics and how these are influenced by deeply held family grudge and translates those anxieties on the screen through such dazzingly creepy visuals that make a strong case for the sentiment that, sometimes, the scariest things in life are not the shadows lurking outside of your window but those sneaking through your own home

08. Roma
205 Points | 29 Votes | 6 No. 1 Votes

yxX6O9X.jpg

Taking his time, Cuarón creates frame by frame a living postcard of his personal past. A story about love, time and generosity, Roma will break your heart only to miraculously put it back together in the end, while still leaving you devastated. It is a beautiful film in so many respects, be it the gorgeous cinematography or the ravishing gentle slowness. I was actually expecting to see this film higher up on the list, but maybe it wasn't helped by its release window. Roma proved to be a monumental film in terms of what it represents outside of its artistic content as well. Not only is it a Netflix original with hugely critical success and multiple Academy Awards wins and nominations as well as the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, but this film actually made Netflix change their stance regarding releasing an original film in cinemas before arriving on the platform.

What the voters thought of Cuarón's film:
Not a novel observation here but this is a stunning, stunning film. At times you wonder if the scale, scope and technical mastery of the whole thing is gonna get out of hand (to borrow a take I heard somewhere, it kinda feels like a performance of filmmaking as if it were being judged as an Olympic event), but it maintains the intimacy it needs to keep you invested in its characters, and the tensions between class, capitalism and familial love and care that it paints. It's been out for not even 2 months and has individual scenes that are so technically brilliant and emotionally overwhelming that they're already iconic, somehow.
Roma is a visual masterpiece, exuding a rich and dynamic cinematic language that features some absolutely sublime direction from Alfonso Cuaron. Every sequence appears like a meticulous composition, each piece gradually crafting a deeply resonant portrait of class and motherhood. Though I was initially concerned that the withdrawn approach would result in the characters and their circumstances feeling detached from the exceedingly personal nature of the story, this fear proved unfounded rather quickly. Cleo's story is quietly absorbing, slowly drawing the viewer in through the seemingly mundane minutiae of her life with an emotional undercurrent that reaches its surprisingly effective crescendo in the latter stages of the film. It's a restrained, yet awe-inspiring style of filmmaking that I adored.

09. Black Panther
175 Points | 29 Votes | 0 No. 1 Votes

8Zr7HBa.jpg

The true Best Picture winner at the Academy Awards, Black Panther is the third superhero film in this list (or fourth depending on what you think of Tom Cruise). With a pretty endearing cast of characters, a tad absent and ironically anaemic main hero, especially compared to the much more charismatic and spirited villain (played by Andy Serkis.. I kid), Black Panther almost gives the impression of being different from all the other MCU movies. This is another one I was expecting to see much higher on this list given the reaction at the time, but maybe I wasn't reading the room properly. I actually thought it would be a reverse situation with where Avengers is now on the list. Anyway, don't forget… three times Academy Awards winning Black Panther. Wakanda forever.

Here are some thoughts on the film:
For me personally, the general presentation and the story of the character and setting did a lot to break a great amount of the mold that the MCU is generally held accountable towards, and in respect to my personal culture struck some chords I've rarely seen with most --if any-- Hollywood films. For me it's easily among the best of the MCU, if not the overall greatest film they've made so far.
Spider-verse may have stole some of its thunder, but the MCU deserves credit for hyping the movie up to the greatness that it is. Special credit does to the cast and screenwriting for an excellent movie. This also has the best villain that is Killmonger. The CGI may be shoddy, but it makes up for it for excellent costuming designs based on actual African attire. Overall, the significance of this movie should not be forgotten.

10. BlacKkKlansman
151 Points | 30 Votes | 0 No. 1 Votes

4gaPkff.jpg

If you were worried given his latest output and you were wondering whether Spike Lee still got it, this film comes as a big confirmation. I would go further and say this is one of the best films he's ever directed. Winner of two awards at Cannes Film Festival including the Grand Prix and also an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, Blackkklansman has all the qualities you would expect from an exceptional Spike Lee Joint: it has bite, inventiveness, humour, anger, effervescence, heart. Even the imperfections in this film just blend together in a quality that gives the film a unique texture a la Spike. Damn good film. Happy to see it on the list.
Look, Spike Lee always makes interesting movies. Sometimes they're overindulgent, sometimes they don't land, but they're always interesting. I'm not gonna say BlacKkKlansman doesn't overindulge itself at times, but it just works so well as a whole, that I can't hold it against the film. John David Washington was my favorite character in a film this year, with a performance that perfectly balanced the seriousness of the material with a level of humor that I didn't expect. Adam Driver continues to show a range that I never expected as that guy from Girls, and the two make one of the best buddy cop duos ever.
This movie may feel like a comeback for Spike Lee, but not to me. I honestly thought his comeback movie was the underappreciated Chi-raq, but I digress. Great performances from both John David Washington (son of Denzel) and Adam Driver, with an ending that shows how fucked up America still is from a racial standpoint. Given the current political and racial climate in America, I hope this movie isn't the last one we see from Spike dealing with race in America.

-----

The Best Documentary of the Year
31. Minding The Gap
39 Points | 7 Votes | 0 No. 1 Votes

Teek8Pl.jpg
There are certainly no shortage of skateboard-focused documentaries out there, but the trick to this one is that it only starts out the way you think it will until it quickly shifts gears into a devastating portrait of a dying town and the broken people it has produced. Not all is doom and gloom, but it's hard not to get swept up in the overwhelming nature of Rockford, Illinois' decline with the toll it takes on our three principals, including the director. It's amazing that over 12 years of footage made it into the film, as the 90 minutes it lasts makes the decade go by with a surprising ease, but it never once shies away from pain that's caused to our heroes and even inflicted by them, creating an urgent film that is unforgettable.
It's completely correct and reasonable to be wary about frankly anything trying to 'explain America' right now, but in large part that's because the vast majority of the time they lack the empathy, intimacy and emotional maturity of Minding the Gap. They usually don't have this interior a perspective, either - this is a documentary made by Bing Liu about himself and his friends, two other societally outcast skateboarders in post-industrial Rockford, IL, that in the specificity and closeness of its stories - of cycles of abuse, disenfranchisement, systematic racism and structures of poverty - paint a far wider picture of the pain of contemporary America.
In a year of great docs, this one tops the list. This coming of age story is about a group of friends who grew up dealing with various forms of domestic abuse and used skateboarding as a way of escape. I never thought watching teenagers skateboarding across town would provide such tranquility.
-----

I want to thank everyone once again for taking the time to participate this year. I was planning on having this one up right before the Academy Awards, but it took a bit longer than I hoped. That being said, given what a clusterfuck some of those awards proved to be, maybe it will generate some conversation in this thread related to our very own picks.

-----

Voting Thread
MOTY 2017

Happy viewing to those who haven't seen the films!

OP
OP
Kazaam

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
The Complete List for ResetEra's Best Movies of 2018

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 373 points (46 votes)
2. The Favourite - 270 points (39 votes)
3. Avengers: Infinity War - 237 points (35 votes)
4. Mission: Impossible – Fallout - 230 points (43 votes)
5. First Reformed - 213 points (29 votes)
6. Annihilation - 211 points (36 votes)
7. Hereditary - 208 points (29 votes)
8. Roma - 205 points (29 votes)
9. Black Panther - 175 points (29 votes)
10. BlacKkKlansman - 151 points (30 votes)

11. A Quiet Place - 127 points (23 votes)
** You Were Never Really Here - 127 (23 points)

13. First Man - 114 points (25 votes)

14. Shoplifters - 102 points (15 votes)

15. Sorry to Bother You - 101 points (17 votes)

16. Eighth Grade - 99 points (18 votes)

17. Burning - 91 points (15 votes)

18. Upgrade - 90 points (17 votes)

19. Cold War - 84 points (14 votes)

20. If Beale Street Could Talk - 83 points (13 votes)

21. A Star is Born - 82 points (14 votes)

22. Leave No Trace - 72 points (13 votes)

23. Suspiria - 71 points (11 votes)

24. Widows - 61 points (12 votes)

25. Searching - 60 points (13 votes)
** Paddington 2 - 60 points (8 votes)

27. Mandy - 58 points (11 votes)

28. Incredibles 2 - 54 points (10 votes)

29. Isle of Dogs - 46 points (12 votes)

30. Crazy Rich Asians - 42 points (6 votes)

31. Minding The Gap - 39 points (7 votes)

32. Blindspotting - 36 points (10 votes)

33. The Night is Short, Walk on Girl - 34 points (7 votes)
** Lean on Pete - 34 points (5 votes)
** Bad Times at the El Royale - 34 points (6 votes)

36. Game Night - 29 points (5 votes)

37. Halloween - 28 points (5 votes)

38. Ready Player One - 28 points (7 votes)
** Won't You Be My Neighbor? - 28 points (5 votes)

40. The Death of Stalin - 27 points (6 votes)
** Zama - 27 points (3 votes)
** Mary Poppins Returns - 27 points (3 votes)

43. Bohemian Rhapsody - 26 points (5 votes)

44. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 24 points (8 votes)

45. Deadpool 2 - 21 points (7 votes)

46. Long Day's Journey Into Night - 20 points (2 votes)

47. The House That Jack Built - 19 points (4 votes)

48. The Spy Gone North - 18 points (2 votes)
** The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 18 points (3 votes)
** Dragon Ball Super: Broly - 18 points (3 votes)

51. Support the Girls - 16 points (4 votes)
** Under the Silver Lake - 16 points (3 votes)
** Phantom Thread - 16 points (2 votes)

54. Thoroughbreds - 15 points (4 votes)
** Free Solo - 15 points (2 votes)

56. Three Identical Strangers - 14 points (4 votes)
** Love, Simon - 14 points (3 votes)
** Overlord - 14 points (4 votes)
** The Rider - 14 points (4 votes)
** The Old Man & The Gun - 14 points (2 votes)
** Assassination Nation - 14 points (2 votes)

62. Climax - 13 points (3 votes)
** Madeline's Madeline - 13 points (2 votes)
** Hostiles - 13 points (3 votes)
** An Elephant Sitting Still - 13 points (2 votes)

66. Unsane - 12 points (3 votes)
** The Sisters Brothers - 12 points (3 votes)
** Vox Lux - 12 points (3 votes)

69. Ralph Breaks the Internet - 11 points (4 votes)
** The Night Comes For Us - 11 points (5 votes)
** A Prayer Before Dawn - 11 points (3 votes)

72. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 10 points (2 votes)
** American Animals - 10 points (4 votes)
** Classical Period - 10 points (1 vote)
** 24 Frames - 10 points (1 vote)

76. Aquaman - 9 points (3 votes)
** Revenge - 9 points (2 votes)
** Woman at War - 9 points (1 vote)

79. Io sono Valentina Nappi - 8 points (1 vote)
** Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8 points (3 votes)
** Ghost Stories - 8 points (1 vote)
** A Fantastic Woman - 8 points (1 vote)
** The Mountain - 8 points (1 vote)

84. The Guilty - 7 points (2 votes)
** Tully - 7 points (1 vote)
** Venom - 7 points (2 votes)
** Stan & Ollie - 7 points (1 vote)
** Apostle - 7 points (2 votes)
** Wildlife - 7 points (1 vote)
** A Land Imagined - 7 points (1 vote)

91. Skate Kitchen - 6 points (1 vote)
** Molly - 6 points (1 vote)
** Fahrenheit 11/9 - 6 points (1 vote)
** Anna and the Apocalypse - 6 points (1 vote)
** Let Me Fall - 6 points (1 vote)
** They Shall Not Grow Old - 6 points (1 vote)

97. The Hate U Give - 5 points (1 vote)
** Private Life - 5 points (2 votes)
** Sweet Country - 5 points (1 vote)
** The Lodgers - 5 points (1 vote)
** Prospect - 5 points (1 vote)
** Vice - 5 points (1 vote)
** Calibre - 5 points (2 votes)
** Green Book - 5 points (2 votes)
** Too Late to Die Young - 5 points (1 vote)

106. Girl - 4 points (1 vote)
** Teen Titans Go! To the Movies - 4 points (1 vote)
** Rampage - 4 points (1 vote)
** What You Gonna Do When the World's on Fire? - 4 points (1 vote)

110. 22 July - 3 points (1 vote)
** Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich - 3 points (1 vote)
** Blockers - 3 points (2 votes)
** Disobedience - 3 points (2 votes)
** Boy Erased - 3 points (1 vote)
** Let The Corpses Tan - 3 points (1 vote)
** Happy as Lazzaro - 3 points (1 vote)
** Outlaw King - 3 points (1 vote)
** Grass - 3 points (1 vote)
** Mirai - 2 points (1 vote)
** The Shape of Water - 2 points (2 votes)
** Loveless - 2 points (1 vote)
** Gemini - 2 points (1 vote)
** Christopher Robin - 2 points (2 votes)
** Maquia - 2 points (1 vote)
** Bird Box - 2 points (1 vote)
** The Other Side of the Wind - 2 points (1 vote)
** Transit - 2 points (1 vote)

128. Guy - 1 points (1 vote)
** A Simple Favor - 1 points (1 vote)
** Sicario: Day of the Soldado - 1 points (1 vote)
** Early Man - 1 points (1 vote)
** Creed 2 - 1 points (1 vote)
** Robin Hood - 1 points (1 vote)
** The Front Runner - 1 points (1 vote)
** Pity - 1 points (1 vote)

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The mix of superhero movies and arthouse fare is a bit lol-worthy, but I guess that's the charm of movie talk over here on ERA.

Burning was robbed

luca

Oct 25, 2017
At least The Favourite, First Reformed and Roma made it in.

There's a lot of solid movies in there actually.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I should have seen that the weighted average would bring Spider-Verse over the top. Not that I'm complaining. At at least some of the top reviewed films made it in too. Though it would have helped if more people did lists.

Congrats to Annihilation and Black Panther making it in too. Infinity Wars? Well... it was definitely popular here and made it into a lot of top 10 lists (not mine). I also underestimated how many people liked this one better than BP. I guess it may be due to how many people were shocked at the ending. As a comic book reader, I saw it coming a mile away though. The fact that I couldn't predict how BP or Spiderverse would go made things more interesting to me. It's still a good flix, but far from my favorite.

I'm really interested in how Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody and Best Picture winning (???) Green Book fared.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers at number 3 lmao. Other than that it's actually a better top 10 then expected.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
LOL at Avengers being that high.

Nice to see SpiderVerse and The Favorite do well. I wished Blackkklansman and Roma were higher. Hereditary and First Reformed getting acknowledged is also nice to see.

Last edited:

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
This list is like 50% your average IGN reader's film of the year list and 50% arthouse. Really weird mix.

Glad The Favourite made it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm...well Avengers was really good, wasn't it ?I
It shouldn't get any disservice because it's a superhero movie. I was as engaged as Dark Knight. (Of course DK is much much better)

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Paddington 2 got robbed. You guys have no soul.
Hey, I tried. But I think Paddington will be pretty high on the list.

Hmm...well Avengers was really good, wasn't it ?I
It shouldn't get any disservice because it's a superhero movie. I was as engaged as Dark Knight. (Of course DK is much much better)
I liked it, it just wasn't my favorite movie. Spidey and Black Panther topped it in the superhero department. Even Ant-Man 2 has some arguments in its favor. I was just surprised at how many people preferred Infinity Wars to BP, especially after the Oscar nominee backlash.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
No surprises and a pretty great list, even with the two Marvel films sticking out like sore thumbs.
You Were Never Really Here was robbed again.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Where's Aquaman?

Okay shit post aside, pretty good list but with a weird split as others have said.

As for incentivizing voting, maybe highlight the prize in the thread title. I don't think most people read entire OPs. Might also help to hold viewing parties or launch a road to oscar thread in December to get people to watch films during the Dec/Jan/Feb period. Most films during this time should be either available for streaming or on Blu Rays or are playing in theatres.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
LMFAO @ Avengers being 3rd but not mad at Spider-Verse winning. It was that damn good.

Think this is a pretty good sense of where the boards tastes are when it comes to films. Mix of Marvel and critical darlings.

And hey, at least Green Book didn't win! 😅

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this is the thread where pretentious movie snobs come out in droves to sneer at the inclusion of Avengers in the list. Just amusing to me that this is happening on a video games forum. I for one think it's cool to see all sorts of genres represented in that list.

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the thread where pretentious movie snobs come out in droves to sneer at the inclusion of Avengers in the list. Just amusing to me that this is happening on a video games forum. I for one think it's cool to see all sorts of genres represented in that list.
Hey, I do like some art house stuff, but can't deny that IW was dope.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Blindspotting, Sorry to Bother You, If Beale Street Could Talk, Searching, Eighth Grade, Upgrade, and Burning deserve more love.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Need to see 5, 8 and 10. Good list.

Annhilation really got under my skin and I can't stop thinking about The Favourite.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised at this list, it's mostly popularity. I'm surprised The Favourite is at #2. I thought Era only new blockbusters.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Oh hey, my IW blurb is featured :)

I almost forgot I wrote it.

Also...

** Paddington 2 - 60 points (8 votes)

Whoever the other 7 of you are, you're good people. To you other non-European/Australian/Kiwi/anywhere-else-where-the-movie-was-released-in-2017 moviegoers, you all need to up the marmalade content in your film diet.

Alas, Paddington 2's messy release schedule (thanks for being a horrible person Harvey Weinstein) doomed its award recognition prospects from the start.

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really see a ton of movies form the past year, so I didn't vote. But out of the ones that I did see, The Favourite, Sorry to Bother You, and Burning would be my top 3. So it's nice to see The Favourite at number 2, and the other two also did pretty okay given that they aren't really films that I'd expect to be that popular here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Blindspotting, Sorry to Bother You, If Beale Street Could Talk, Searching, Eighth Grade, Upgrade, and Burning deserve more love.
Goddamn right... Voted for a number of those and wish they placed higher. Maybe just didn't get the audience other movies got, unfortunately.
1. If Beale Street Could Talk
2. Roma
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4. Blindspotting
5. Eighth Grade
6. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
7. BlacKkKlansman
8. Upgrade
9. Black Panther
10. Three Identical Strangers

Bonus: Isle of Dogs, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Annihilation, Christopher Robin, Deadpool 2, Whitney, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Sorry To Bother You

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at this list, it's mostly popularity. I'm surprised The Favourite is at #2. I thought Era only new blockbusters.
You were expecting First Reformed, Roma, The Favourite, Blackkklansmen, First Man, You Were Never Really Here, Shoplifters, Burning, Cold War, If Beale Street Could Talk to rank in the top 20 best movies of the year ballot of a video game forum? I guess you have a higher estimation of people's taste's here than I do. I'm pretty surprised by the mix of films. I don't think for example a poll at Reddit, Gamespot or IGN forums would produce a similar list.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm stoked that Minding the Gap pulled out Era's best doc win.
Not as stoked as I would have been had the Academy recognized it as such... but stoked nonetheless.

(FYI, Minding the Gap was yet another film from last year that sported better editing than Bohemian Rhapsody.)

I've watched all of the Top 25 with the exception of Suspiria and WIdows. Need to get on that at some point.

Green Book's 97th place finish seems about right.

Great job running the Era movie poll as always, Kazaam. You do good work!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, forgot to plug in my own votes due to being busy.

But Infinity War at number 3?

tenor.gif

It's not even the better Marvel Studios movie last year.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I've watched the majority of the movies in the Top 20, but only 1 out of the Top 4. Still need to watch Spiderman, Avengers, and Mission Impossible.

I thought Roma, BlackkKlansman, Annihilation, Eighth Grade, and First Reformed were the best films I saw this year, followed by The Favourite. Green Book is where it belongs, in the trash. Still a weak year in movies... but I do need to watch Burning, Upgrade, and You Were Never Really Here as well as the ones I previously mentioned.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Avengers at 3 is embarrassing, but overall the list could have been a lot worse
Prior to the revelation that was Spider-Verse, I was genuinely expecting Infinity War to rank #1 in this year's list.

Hell, I expect this coming year's thread to boil down to Avengers and Star Wars.
And the following year to be Christopher Nolan flick that has no announced title, stars or premise.

It's important to keep one's expectations in check so one can be pleasantly surprised when results turn out better.
(I try to do this with the Academy but they always manage to find a way to disappoint.)

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I could've done without Avengers and Black Panther but at least the actual and factual best movies of the year are in the list as well! (First Reformed and Hereditary)

Also, just an idea, but maybe next year we could vote for more categories? It doesn't have to be as extensive as the Oscars, but I'd be down with Best Actor/Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Visuals, Best Script, Best Soundtrack etc

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Also, just an idea, but maybe next year we could vote for more categories? It doesn't have to be as extensive as the Oscars, but I'd be down with Best Actor/Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Visuals, Best Script, Best Soundtrack etc
We can probably guess most of these without the need for formal categories.

Era would have Toni Collette taking home Best Actress just edging out Olivia Colman. Best Actor would have probably gone to Ethan Hawke just ahead of Joaquin Phoenix. Spider-Verse would win everything else.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's so weird about the mix of movies in that list... liking blockbusters doesn't preclude you from liking arthouse fare, or vice verse. Nearly all of the movies there would've been in my top 10 or 20.

I'm a movie snob and Infinity War was my #1 pick! :lol

Don't think it's particularly surprising that the biggest movie of the year managed to find 35 people who really liked it...

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
We can probably guess most of these without the need for formal categories.

Era would have Toni Collette taking home Best Actress just edging out Olivia Colman. Best Actor would have probably gone to Ethan Hawke just ahead of Joaquin Phoenix. Spider-Verse would win everything else.
Well still, it could be fun

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think expanding to other categories is something that will help gain participation. We had very few people this year voting for Best Picture alone. More categories, more "work" would make sure we have even less participants next year.

People could maybe do these categories if they want to. I would probably do it. But just don't make is a requirement.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You were expecting First Reformed, Roma, The Favourite, Blackkklansmen, First Man, You Were Never Really Here, Shoplifters, Burning, Cold War, If Beale Street Could Talk to rank in the top 20 best movies of the year ballot of a video game forum? I guess you have a higher estimation of people's taste's here than I do. I'm pretty surprised by the mix of films. I don't think for example a poll at Reddit, Gamespot or IGN forums would produce a similar list.
I was. If the movie thread is any indication, this place loves blockbusters as much as arthouse/cinephile films. It's actually one of the reasons I like the community so much

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 in my list made the top 10. I expected it to be between Avengers and Spider-Verse, and was pleasantly surprised to see The Favourite so high on the list. Dare I say that ERA's top 10 list will age better than this year's Best Picture race, that's for sure.