• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
69hVNCu.png

Welcome to ResetEra's official MOTY for 2019!
(for rules jump at the end of this post)

Tick tock. Tick tock. I know, it sounds like one of those (now consecutive and unskippable) commercials for that new social network crammed into your face as you're being tied in front of your computer, eyelids peeled, eyes bulging out forced to watch as somewhere down the corridor music seems to play. You hope it's not Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th symphony (after all he did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music). But that just tells you what kind of year this was, if so many commercials just mockingly reminded you of the constant passing of time while watching ads, trapped inside this revolving door. Tick Tock. Time waits for no one. 2019 came and 2019 passed. So let's have a little recap.

It has been a generally strange year, I think even more so for mainstream cinema. Just like Gregor Samsa, US mainstream cinema woke up one morning and realised it had transformed into a kafkaesque monster or a Toy Story meme. Seriously, looking at the box office is like seeing the real life adaptation of Buzz raising its hand and saying "Disney. Disney Everywhere." 7 out of the top 10 highest grossing films of 2019 are Disney productions (should be 8 given that one of the other 3 is "Spider-Man: Far From Home"). That's insane. And out of those 7, the number of original films is… *drumroll* … one. I wanted to say zero, but (even if I really don't want to) I will count "Captain Marvel" as "original". The rest, sequels and remakes. But that doesn't matter because unlike the metamorphosed Gregor, Disney was loved by sooo many, many, many people this year.

The number of records broken in box office is staggering. 2019 is the first year to ever have 8 films cross the one billion $ milestone and pretty much every Disney film on the highest grossing list has broken some kind of record. The big one is obviously held by the grand finale to MCU's Infinity Saga, "Avengers: Endgame" becoming the highest-grossing film of all time and propelling the MCU to be the first film franchise to gross over $20 billion. People also decided that the fever induced nightmares known as the live-action remakes of old animated Disney films were still worth watching (not you "Dumbo", not you…) and so the animated not-really-live-action live-action remake of the animated 1994 musical "The Lion King" broke the record becoming the highest-grossing animated film of all time. It also had the biggest opening for an animated and musical film, but that title was taken away in November by another Disney animation, "Frozen 2".

At the opposite side of the bombastic nature of "Avengers: Endgame", sits the modestly budgeted "Joker" directed by Hangover auteur Todd Philips and endorsed by strand auteur Hideo Kojima as a "movie to change the history of cinema". Winner of the prestigious Golden Lion Award and finding itself on the same list of Venice Film Festival winners as masterpieces like "Rashomon", "Last Year at Marienbad", "Three Colours: Blue" and… "The Shape of Water", this feared by many as an insanely dangerous film to exist and be seen became the highest grossing R-rated film in history and the very first one to surpass $1 billion. My bet is on a proper David and Goliath fight between "Joker" and "Avengers" here this year (but there's a reason I'm not a betting man).

Speaking of jokers, Olivia Wilde made her directorial debut with the witty coming of age comedy-a-la-Superbad, "Booksmart", while Quentin Tarantino made another terribly uneven alternative history dramedy (?) based on the hilarious idea of what would happen if the Sharon Tate murder was actually stopped by a drugged Brad Pitt in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (Sally Menke, you're so terribly missed). And if we're at the chapter of comedies based on somehow hilarious history, one cannot not mention Taika Waititi's "Jojo Rabbit" which upon seeing it almost grabbed the crown for my least favourite film of the year. That lasted about a second as I remembered I did see Dan Gilroy's Netflix produced "Velvet Buzzsaw" and wow, what a disaster.

Yes, Netflix had quite the year: from the "Fyre" documentary to the really unnecessary Breaking Bad film "El Camino", though probably the most notable 2019 release of the media giant was Scorsese's fantastic "The Irishman". Outside of his role in this autumn's reality tv show hit "The Real Auteurs of Beverly Hills" in which he disputes alongside Francis Ford Coppola and.. Ken Loach (?) if Marvel films are cinema or not, Martin Scorsese took the time and delivered a good old fashioned masterpiece. They don't make them like this anymore was sort of a proud badge of honour and metacommentary of the film. The stupendous performances showing you don't have to get a hernia to make people aware of how well you're acting (though I guess the film also has Al Pacino) created a nice contrast when put together with the performances from another Netflix production, Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story. One film showed great insight about love, friendship, loss, regrets and the other had Scarlett Johansson yell at Adam Driver about his Criterion Collection.

Rian Johnson showcased once again his great talents with the amazingly entertaining crime caper "Knives Out". Speaking of showcasing talents, Robert Egges's stylistic exercise and possible film student dissertation "The Lighthouse" also came out this year. Sam Mendes came back seeing that no one wants to fill the obvious-film-before-the-Oscars spot and released "1917". Joe Talbot won the Sundance Directing Award for the great "The Last Black Man in San Francisco". Bong Joon-ho's Palme d'Or winner "Parasite" delivered big time and I believe will have a high spot in this top. Celine Sciamma's "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" is *chef kiss*, but unfortunately for many it will have a late wide release this year.

There are obviously many many other films that have released and I haven't mentioned them. I'm sure it's at least pointless if not painful to mention "Star Wars" so I won't bother. But there's one more film that needs the spotlight. A film that's operating on a completely different plane from mortal cinema. You already know which one I'm talking about. "Cats" is in cinemas right now and this.. this is an experience one must have in a theatre. There are visual effects in there that make the characters in Antz look human. I guess in many ways, looking back, this whole year was the year of CGI given the abundance of computer generated kitsch everywhere. From realistic pokemons to Will Smith's genie and cat Idris Elba. Not even "The Irishman" escaped. But as Kundera once wrote… "in the realm of kitsch, the dictatorship of the heart reigns supreme"

Before we jump to the rules, I would like to share last year's ResetEra Top 10 films list:

G1WQqM4.png

01. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
(373 points and 46 votes)
02. The Favourite
03. Avengers: Infinity War
04. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
05. First Reformed
06. Annihilation
07. Hereditary
08. Roma
09. Black Panther
10. BlacKkKlansman

Now let's move on to

The Rules:
* Lists need to be minimum of 3, maximum of 10 films
You can of course add special mentions to your lists, but those won't be counted towards scoring. So keep that in mind. Please don't do the lists over ten… just write them as special mentions with thoughts and recommendations, etc.

* Films must be released in 2019
As always, this is tricky because the community is from all over the world and release windows can vary quite a lot. You can add a movie if it released in your area in 2019 or if it shows online as released in the year. Because of this problem there will always be a few films that will get some points next year as well as some that already were voted last year. Especially foreign releases.

* Films need to be numbered from best to worst (1 being best, 10 being the least best)
10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, 8 to #3, and so on and so forth.
Lists that are not numbered will not be added to the final tally.

* Clear film names only. Also your thoughts should be visibly separated from the title.
Please use full titles for films (not abbreviations). Also, format wise, try to clearly separate your thoughts from the title of the film (preferably as a new paragraph under the title of the film). While it won't cancel your vote, the only use of ":", "-" or "/" to separate the films from your thoughts are not preferable as those sometimes are also used in the actual titles.

* You're free to edit them as you wish until the voting ends.
Again, I'll repeat... UNTIL THE VOTING ENDS. I'll make sure to update and double check every list manually when the vote closes. Any edits made after the deadline will not be counted.

* One list only.
Pretty self-explanatory.

* Write some thoughts about the films.
While not obligatory, it is highly recommended to share a few thoughts about the films along with your list. I will choose some of those thoughts and use them as quotes reasoning the best films in the results thread. Plus, just like last years, I'll have a gift (usually an UHD/Blu-Ray/DVD of the best film in our top) for a random voter. After we get our results, I will draw a random user to receive this year's gift. To be eligible you have to vote in this thread and your list must contain thoughts about the films – it can't be just a numbered list (think of this gift as an incentive).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
Hope I didn't miss anything and sorry if there are any mistakes in here.
We have a lot more time this year (about 7 weeks), so hopefully we can get plenty of individual lists this year.

Previous result threads: 2017 | 2018

t1582502400z0.png

Happy listing everyone!

VOTING CLOSES February 24th, 2020 at 00:00 GMT.
February 23rd is last time for voting.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
can't wait to see Serenity sweep up all the number 1 spots

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Avengers: Endgame - All the feels and all the emotion wrapped up in a bonkers time heist
2. Jojo Rabbit - The kids are very well casted and Scar Jo does a great job being the cool mom
3. Parasite - Not a perfect movie but it's surprising and hilarious

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I still have plenty to watch over the next month or so... but I'll pass along my Top 10 as it stands right now and will tweak it as I go.

1. Marriage Story (an acting tour de force... just because awards shows won't recognize it doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it)
2. Parasite (my predicted winner from Era... well, unless you guys flood this category with adulation for Joker and Avengers... ah hell, you will won't you?)
3. Waves
4. The Farewell
5. Little Women
6. Rocketman
7. The Irishman
8. Midsommar
9. Weathering With You
10. Knives Out

Last edited:

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
1. Avengers Endgame
2. Joker
3. The peanut butter falcon
4. Ready or not
5. Once upon a Time in Hollywood
6. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
7. Spider-Man: Far From Home
8. Fighting with my family

I'll add more later when I give it some thought.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have my list sometimes in Feburary, probably after I've seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire

but I'm posting to remind you all to watch Parasite

Jul 4, 2019
1. Parasite
- A genre blending timely masterpiece from Bong Joon Ho.
2. The Lighthouse
- Eggers continues to prove to be one of the most talented rising directors with standout performances from Dafoe and Pattinson.
3. Uncut Gems
- Safdie brothers can do no wrong after both Good Time and Uncut Gems. Sandler gives the best performance of his career.
4. Marriage Story
- With career best performances from Johansson and Driver, Marriage Story finds Baumbach on his A game.
5. The Farewell
6. Little Women
- A fantastic adaptation from Greta Gerwig. How she got snubbed for best director was disappointing to see.
7. Knives Out
8. 1917
9. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
- Favourite Tarantino film since Inglorious Bastards. A great hang out movie with Dalton and Booth.
10. The Last Black Man in San Francisco

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
1. Parasite - This film spoke to my heart. The visuals are flawless, the script is poetic, and the performances are equal to the genius behind the camera. Words fail me. I love this movie
2. The Lighthouse - Two kings and one. Eggers can do no wrong and I am probably too dumb for him
3. Knives Out - This movie is at least a hundred times better than the self-named, overpriced cocktail I drank as I watched it -- and what goes down smoother than Craig at the height of his scene-chewing powers?
4. Marriage Story
5. 1917
6. Little Women
7. Midsommar
8. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
9. The Farewell
10. El Camino

hm: Two Popes, The Report, High Life (technically a 2018 movie, otherwise it would be top ten)

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
  1. The Lighthouse
    - A full, cohesive stylistic experience. Dafoe gives the best performance I've seen in years.
  2. Parasite
    - Perfection, just not as far up my stylistic alley as The Lighthouse. Of everything listed here, this is my most anticipated rewatch.
  3. The Farewell
    - Awkwafina gives the performance of the year. Utterly, silently heartbreaking.
  4. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    - Introspective cinema for the masses. This film isn't about the characters, it's about you. How can you be better?
  5. Knives Out
    - The most fun I've had in a theater all year. Brilliant ensemble led well by Craig and de Armas.
  6. Marriage Story
    - My favorite non-Gerwig Baumbach lacks his usual charm, but has a lot of heart and a hell of a lot of bombastic performances.
  7. Uncut Gems
    - The Safdies did it: they made Good Time, but good this time. Wonderfully tense, I hope to never see it again!
  8. Little Women
    - A structural mess, but still the warmest blanket put to film this year. Florence Pugh is that phenomenal!
  9. 1917
    - A horrifying sensory experience.
  10. The Irishman
    - Damn Marty, that ending!

[*] The Beach Bum
    [*]The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    [*]Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
    [*]The Dead Don't Die
    [*]A Hidden Life
    [*]Dolemite is My Name
    [*]Us
    [*]Booksmart
    [*]Harriet
    [*]Alita: Battle Angel
    [*]Jojo Rabbit
    [*]Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
    [*]Between Two Ferns: The Movie
    [*]Captain Marvel
    [*]Avengers: Endgame
    [*]Midsommar
    [*]Zombieland: Double Tap
    [*]Little Monsters
    [*]Joker
    [*]The Haunting of Sharon Tate

Last edited:

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
it's time

still have to watch a couple films, but I'll have a list up end of month probably

preliminary list

1. Parasite
2. Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
3. Bacurau
4. An Elephant Sitting Still
5. Giant Little Ones
6. Midsommar
7. Ash Is Purest White
8. The Lighthouse
9. Ready or Not
10. The Irishman

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Little Women
2. Parasite
3. Midsommar
4. Knives Out
5. Uncut Gems
6. Pain and Glory
7. Frozen II
8. Ford vs Ferrari
9. Toy Story 4
10. Ad Astra

Special mentions that I wish I could include in the list, but there's only 10 spots: Dolemite is My Name, Avengers Endgame, Jojo Rabbit, The Farewell, The Lighthouse, The Irishmen, and Ready or Not.

Fantastic year of films overall, over all I saw 40+ films and only really hated about 5-6.

I just have to say how much Little Women impacted me and even made me cry more than once. Midsommar has only gotten better on re-watches and Frozen II is definitely without a doubt my favorite Disney movie of the year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I feel bad for not watching enough movies this year.

1. The Irishman
2. Toy Story 4
3. Klaus
My actual #3 is Endgame but I don't want it to win

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Dolemite Is My Name
3. Shazam!
4. Marriage Story
5. Booksmart
6. I Lost My Body
7. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
8. Atlantics
9. Always Be My Maybe

(I tend to see a lot of movies, but a lot of movies are from previous years, so my list turns out like this)

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Final Edit I suppose:
  1. Parasite
  2. Uncut Gems
  3. Marriage Story
  4. Jojo Rabbit
  5. High Life
  6. The Farewell
  7. The Lighthouse
  8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  9. Ready or Not
  10. Booksmart

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Apocalypse Now Final Cut
  2. Parasite
  3. Ash is Purest White
  4. A Hidden Life
  5. Les Misérables
  6. The Favourite
  7. Ford v Ferrari
  8. John Wick: Parabellum
  9. Avengers Endgame
  10. The Irishman

Jul 4, 2018
  1. Parasite - Easily my film of the decade, one of the best put together Live-action films I've ever seen and feels like they didn't waste a second.
  2. JoJo Rabbit - Taika made a Taika film about Nazis and it was great.
  3. Toy Story 4 - probably unnecessary but it's still great.
  4. Knives Out - Rian Johnson's murder mystery where everyone acts their asses off.
  5. Marriage Story - Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson absolutely nailed this one.
  6. The Farewell
  7. Aladdin
  8. Ford v Ferrari
  9. Extreme Job
  10. Frozen II

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
  1. Avengers Endgame
  2. The Irishman
  3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  4. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
  5. Knives Out
  6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  7. Uncut Gems
  8. Shazam
  9. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
  10. One Piece: Stampede
2019 was the first time in years that I actually saw many movies that weren't Marvel. It feels weird

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Parasite

Parasite-970443693-large.jpg

I saw this later than any other film on my list and I had extremely high expectations after all the praise it has gotten. Even so, it still blew my expectations right out of the water. I don't have a single bad thing to say about Parasite, it's pretty much perfect. It has an engaging story that builds and builds and has a satisfying yet surprising conclusion by the end of it. Both families are wonderfully acted and feel like real people. I'm so glad I never watched any trailers because going into this only knowing the basic premise and nothing else made it such a rewarding experience. The ending left me speechless.

2. Uncut Gems

uncut-gems-netflix-release-schedule.jpg

I've never seen a movie that made me feel so anxious and stressed out as this one did, and I loved every minute of it. Adam Sandler dabbles in dramatic roles on occasion but this is easily his best performance of his career. The characters all feel so realistic in this movie, from casting Kevin Garnett and The Weeknd to play themselves, to finding actual jewelry salesmen from around NYC. I also was entranced by the interesting score by Oneohtrix Point Never, which fits the vibe so well. The Safdie brothers are extremely talented and I cannot wait to see where they go from here with their careers.

3. The Last Black Man In San Francisco

920x920.jpg

What a beautiful, wholesome, and poignant film. So much to say about friendship, gentrification, loss, hope. The cinematography and score just had me entranced the whole time. I've never even been to California and this somehow made me nostalgic for San Francisco. Reading more about it afterwards and learning about how this was based on Jimmie Fails' actual life and losing his grandfather's Victorian style house in SF makes so much sense for why this film felt so heartfelt and sincere. There's just something about The Last Black Man In San Francisco that I can't shake. I wish this got more love from people because it really is special.

4. Knives Out

0aa6e8eb-57da-4c7e-b412-2154b2c98ab5.jpg

This was probably the most fun I've had seeing a movie in theaters since Fury Road. The combination of Rian Johnson's incredibly well written script and one of the best ensemble casts in ages really made this movie a blast to watch all the way through. I loved seeing Daniel Craig in this just having fun with this role and hamming it up. Ana de Armas was also a wonderful surprise with her having much more screen time than I anticipated. Overall it was just a great whodunit and I'm looking forward to Rian doing another Benoit Blanc murder mystery in the future.

5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

e16a1abe-a9c5-4a0b-b34a-988057b72252-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-margot-thumbnail-1553013989754_1280w.jpg

I'm a big fan of Tarantino and this was a great love letter to Hollywood and the 1960's. Just following around Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth while they're trying to make their comeback into the limelight was a joy to watch. Leo and Brad work off of each other so well. Gorgeous cinematography from Robert Richardson and a perfect soundtrack too.

6. Jojo Rabbit

10-18-19-jojorabbit1-e1571691665515.jpg

I've never seen a Taika Waititi film that I didn't like, and this was no exception. It was the perfect combination of Taika's signature humor while also taking the subject matter at hand and telling a heartbreaking story with an important message. Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, and Sam Rockwell all gave really fantastic performances. There are a few very emotional moments that come out of nowhere and caught me off-guard.

7. The Lighthouse

the-lighthouse-willem-dafoe-robert-pattinson.jpg

"Yer fond of me lobster, ain't ya?"
    Robert Eggers already delivered a masterful first film with The Witch and then he goes and tops it with The Lighthouse. It's a great blend of humor and terror with riveting performances from Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson. Dafoe delivers multiple monologues that are just mindblowing. I don't know how he does it.

8. 1917

1917_2019_photo_hero_a-1920x1080.jpg

I thought Inarritu's Birdman going for the faux continuous shot style was unnecessary for that film, but for 1917 it works to its benefit. Following Schofield and Blake as they make their way across No Man's Land to deliver their message was an incredibly immersive experience. As much as I liked Dunkirk, I never cared for how it sterilized war and shied away from the atrocities of it. 1917 doesn't do that. It shows the main characters crawling and wading through dead bodies, rats, barbed wire, etc. It's never overly gross or anything, but it's enough to get the point across that they're in the middle of a brutal war in every direction. Roger Deakins is just showing off at this point, and the cinematography is on another level. The nighttime flares scene is one for the ages.
  9. Ad Astra

18628.jpg

Ad Astra had some of the best visuals of any film in 2019. At one point this was in my top 5 of the year but as I saw more movies it moved down my list a bit. Still really enjoyed it though, and for anyone who likes space movies, you owe it to yourself to watch this. Brad Pitt does a great job as well with a character who is somewhat incapable of showing emotion because he's so caught up in his job. As the movie goes on, he starts to develop more and more and you really feel for the guy and what he has to go through. It's a great journey of a man trying to rediscover himself and the relationships around him as well as understand what is most important in life.

10. The Irishman

irishman_unit_firstlook_1_smaller-1200x802.jpg

Martin Scorsese returning to the mob genre with De Niro/Pesci/Pacino was just as excellent as it sounded. This one is all about the characters, and Marty pulls no punches with how it ends. The final act separates it from Goodfellas or Casino, and makes it a much more contemplative film.
Still a handful of films I haven't been able to see yet that I'm hoping to get to soon: Little Women, Midsommar, The Farewell, Ford v Ferrari, and several more. So my list will probably shuffle around some by the end of February.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Parasite
  2. The Lighthouse
  3. Knives Out
  4. Us
Theaters are overpriced garbage so I don't watch a ton of new movies. Us is already stretching it, but since we have a 3-movie minimum for some reason, I'll include it. I'll have to try and remember to edit this when Parasite hits theaters here on the 30th, though, I have pretty high expectations for that one.

e: saw Parasite, fucking loved it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just got done with Booksmart, I plan to hit up Parasite, Uncut gems, Knives Out, 1917 and Little Women in theaters. On streaming on the docket is Midsommar and last black man in SF, as well as marriage story, Irishman on Netflix.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I plan on typing up a full list at some point - Uncut Gems is on limited release in the UK soon and maybe that'll make the list - but just to take the opportunity to encourage people to watch what will be my top two favourite movies, The Favourite and One Cut of the Dead. I cannot recommend them enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I plan on typing up a full list at some point - Uncut Gems is on limited release in the UK soon and maybe that'll make the list - but just to take the opportunity to encourage people to watch what will be my top two favourite movies, The Favourite and One Cut of the Dead. I cannot recommend them enough.

Favorite was 2018 I think?

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
1. Parasite
2. The Irishman
3. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
4. Avengers: Endgame
5. Ford v Ferrari
6. The Lighthouse
7. Joker
8. Marriage Story
9. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
10. I Lost My Body

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite

One of the few movies that keeps suprising you at each turn. Funny, tense and moving, and a clear win for original cinema.

2. I Lost My Body

The touching story of a severed hand trying to find his owner again. The body horror part is suprisingly poetic, but it's the romance story that - despite some problematic moments - goes straight to the heart. Above all it's a testament to the power of animation as a medium that can do more than funny family flicks.

3. Marriage Story

Noah Baumbach breaks your heart, then mends it with love. Somewhat.

4. The Farewell

Funny and sweet. Both incredibly universal and a unique look at Chinese culture.

5. Portrait d'une jeune fille en feu

The most beautiful love story of 2019. It's a slowburner (no pun intented) that by the end has your heart in a thousand pieces.

6. Booksmart

These kind of movies are one of the few genres I don't like. Booksmart not only made me belter with laughter, but also had me wiping away tears, proving that it's not the genre that counts, but what story you tell with it.

7. Knives Out

Clever and funny. A pure joyride from beginning to end. Rian Johnson proves himself again as one of the best mainstream writer-directors of this time.

8. So Long, My Son

Very moving family chronicle about the side-effects of China's one child policy. The non-lineair approach is disorientating at first, but sooner rather than later So Long, My Son has its claws in you and doesn't let go.

9. The Irishman

It is what it is: a somber, unglorified look back at gangster life, that also reads as a goodbye from one of the greatest directors ever.

10. The Lighthouse

Madness. Pure madness.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
1. Dolemite is my Name (best Comedy I've seen in a while and a feel good movie all around)
2. Parasite (was going to put it at nr 1 but Dolemite is just to good)
3. Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood (one of QT's best)
4. The Irishman
5. John Wick 3
6. Avengers: Endgame (it took them 10 years and 20+ movies but they finally got that emotional pay off)

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
1. We Have Always Lived In The Castle
2. Doctor Sleep
3. Knives and Skin
4. Body At Brighton Rock
5. Cold Pursuit
6. Greener Grass
7. Chained For Life
8. The Lighthouse
9. Frozen 2
10. Knives Out

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
69hVNCu.png

Welcome to ResetEra's official MOTY for 2019!
(for rules jump at the end of this post)

Tick tock. Tick tock. I know, it sounds like one of those (now consecutive and unskippable) commercials for that new social network crammed into your face as you're being tied in front of your computer, eyelids peeled, eyes bulging out forced to watch as somewhere down the corridor music seems to play. You hope it's not Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th symphony (after all he did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music). But that just tells you what kind of year this was, if so many commercials just mockingly reminded you of the constant passing of time while watching ads, trapped inside this revolving door. Tick Tock. Time waits for no one. 2019 came and 2019 passed. So let's have a little recap.

It has been a generally strange year, I think even more so for mainstream cinema. Just like Gregor Samsa, US mainstream cinema woke up one morning and realised it had transformed into a kafkaesque monster or a Toy Story meme. Seriously, looking at the box office is like seeing the real life adaptation of Buzz raising its hand and saying "Disney. Disney Everywhere." 7 out of the top 10 highest grossing films of 2019 are Disney productions (should be 8 given that one of the other 3 is "Spider-Man: Far From Home"). That's insane. And out of those 7, the number of original films is… *drumroll* … one. I wanted to say zero, but (even if I really don't want to) I will count "Captain Marvel" as "original". The rest, sequels and remakes. But that doesn't matter because unlike the metamorphosed Gregor, Disney was loved by sooo many, many, many people this year.

The number of records broken in box office is staggering. 2019 is the first year to ever have 8 films cross the one billion $ milestone and pretty much every Disney film on the highest grossing list has broken some kind of record. The big one is obviously held by the grand finale to MCU's Infinity Saga, "Avengers: Endgame" becoming the highest-grossing film of all time and propelling the MCU to be the first film franchise to gross over $20 billion. People also decided that the fever induced nightmares known as the live-action remakes of old animated Disney films were still worth watching (not you "Dumbo", not you…) and so the animated not-really-live-action live-action remake of the animated 1994 musical "The Lion King" broke the record becoming the highest-grossing animated film of all time. It also had the biggest opening for an animated and musical film, but that title was taken away in November by another Disney animation, "Frozen 2".

At the opposite side of the bombastic nature of "Avengers: Endgame", sits the modestly budgeted "Joker" directed by Hangover auteur Todd Philips and endorsed by strand auteur Hideo Kojima as a "movie to change the history of cinema". Winner of the prestigious Golden Lion Award and finding itself on the same list of Venice Film Festival winners as masterpieces like "Rashomon", "Last Year at Marienbad", "Three Colours: Blue" and… "The Shape of Water", this feared by many as an insanely dangerous film to exist and be seen became the highest grossing R-rated film in history and the very first one to surpass $1 billion. My bet is on a proper David and Goliath fight between "Joker" and "Avengers" here this year (but there's a reason I'm not a betting man).

Speaking of jokers, Olivia Wilde made her directorial debut with the witty coming of age comedy-a-la-Superbad, "Booksmart", while Quentin Tarantino made another terribly uneven alternative history dramedy (?) based on the hilarious idea of what would happen if the Sharon Tate murder was actually stopped by a drugged Brad Pitt in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (Sally Menke, you're so terribly missed). And if we're at the chapter of comedies based on somehow hilarious history, one cannot not mention Taika Waititi's "Jojo Rabbit" which upon seeing it almost grabbed the crown for my least favourite film of the year. That lasted about a second as I remembered I did see Dan Gilroy's Netflix produced "Velvet Buzzsaw" and wow, what a disaster.

Yes, Netflix had quite the year: from the "Fyre" documentary to the really unnecessary Breaking Bad film "El Camino", though probably the most notable 2019 release of the media giant was Scorsese's fantastic "The Irishman". Outside of his role in this autumn's reality tv show hit "The Real Auteurs of Beverly Hills" in which he disputes alongside Francis Ford Coppola and.. Ken Loach (?) if Marvel films are cinema or not, Martin Scorsese took the time and delivered a good old fashioned masterpiece. They don't make them like this anymore was sort of a proud badge of honour and metacommentary of the film. The stupendous performances showing you don't have to get a hernia to make people aware of how well you're acting (though I guess the film also has Al Pacino) created a nice contrast when put together with the performances from another Netflix production, Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story. One film showed great insight about love, friendship, loss, regrets and the other had Scarlett Johansson yell at Adam Driver about his Criterion Collection.

Rian Johnson showcased once again his great talents with the amazingly entertaining crime caper "Knives Out". Speaking of showcasing talents, Robert Egges's stylistic exercise and possible film student dissertation "The Lighthouse" also came out this year. Sam Mendes came back seeing that no one wants to fill the obvious-film-before-the-Oscars spot and released "1917". Joe Talbot won the Sundance Directing Award for the great "The Last Black Man in San Francisco". Bong Joon-ho's Palme d'Or winner "Parasite" delivered big time and I believe will have a high spot in this top. Celine Sciamma's "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" is *chef kiss*, but unfortunately for many it will have a late wide release this year.

There are obviously many many other films that have released and I haven't mentioned them. I'm sure it's at least pointless if not painful to mention "Star Wars" so I won't bother. But there's one more film that needs the spotlight. A film that's operating on a completely different plane from mortal cinema. You already know which one I'm talking about. "Cats" is in cinemas right now and this.. this is an experience one must have in a theatre. There are visual effects in there that make the characters in Antz look human. I guess in many ways, looking back, this whole year was the year of CGI given the abundance of computer generated kitsch everywhere. From realistic pokemons to Will Smith's genie and cat Idris Elba. Not even "The Irishman" escaped. But as Kundera once wrote… "in the realm of kitsch, the dictatorship of the heart reigns supreme"

Before we jump to the rules, I would like to share last year's ResetEra Top 10 films list:

G1WQqM4.png

01. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
(373 points and 46 votes)
02. The Favourite
03. Avengers: Infinity War
04. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
05. First Reformed
06. Annihilation
07. Hereditary
08. Roma
09. Black Panther
10. BlacKkKlansman

Now let's move on to

The Rules:
* Lists need to be minimum of 3, maximum of 10 films
You can of course add special mentions to your lists, but those won't be counted towards scoring. So keep that in mind. Please don't do the lists over ten… just write them as special mentions with thoughts and recommendations, etc.

* Films must be released in 2019
As always, this is tricky because the community is from all over the world and release windows can vary quite a lot. You can add a movie if it released in your area in 2019 or if it shows online as released in the year. Because of this problem there will always be a few films that will get some points next year as well as some that already were voted last year. Especially foreign releases.

* Films need to be numbered from best to worst (1 being best, 10 being the least best)
10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, 8 to #3, and so on and so forth.
Lists that are not numbered will not be added to the final tally.

* Clear film names only. Also your thoughts should be visibly separated from the title.
Please use full titles for films (not abbreviations). Also, format wise, try to clearly separate your thoughts from the title of the film (preferably as a new paragraph under the title of the film). While it won't cancel your vote, the only use of ":", "-" or "/" to separate the films from your thoughts are not preferable as those sometimes are also used in the actual titles.

* You're free to edit them as you wish until the voting ends.
Again, I'll repeat... UNTIL THE VOTING ENDS. I'll make sure to update and double check every list manually when the vote closes. Any edits made after the deadline will not be counted.

* One list only.
Pretty self-explanatory.

* Write some thoughts about the films.
While not obligatory, it is highly recommended to share a few thoughts about the films along with your list. I will choose some of those thoughts and use them as quotes reasoning the best films in the results thread. Plus, just like last years, I'll have a gift (usually an UHD/Blu-Ray/DVD of the best film in our top) for a random voter. After we get our results, I will draw a random user to receive this year's gift. To be eligible you have to vote in this thread and your list must contain thoughts about the films – it can't be just a numbered list (think of this gift as an incentive).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
Hope I didn't miss anything and sorry if there are any mistakes in here.
We have a lot more time this year (about 7 weeks), so hopefully we can get plenty of individual lists this year.

Previous result threads: 2017 | 2018

t1582502400z0.png

Happy listing everyone!

VOTING CLOSES February 24th, 2020 at 00:00 GMT.
February 23rd is last time for voting.
Can we also have a thread for the worst movies of the year?

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
A preliminary list (version 2):

1. Marriage Story
2. Parasite
3. The Irishman
4. Dogs Don't Wear Pants
5. In Fabric
6. Little Women
7. Midsommar
8. Apollo 11
9. Pain and Glory
10. Aniara

Honorable mentions: The Golden Glove, Dons of Disco, The Two Popes, Deerskin, Ad Astra, Rocketman, Once Upon a Time ...in Hollywood, Bait, Come to Daddy, Knives Out

Still haven't seen: The Farewell, Uncut Gems, Portrait of a Lady on FIre, Honeyland, A Hidden Life, Les misérables, High Life, Atlantics, Sorry We Missed You, Klaus, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Booksmart, American Factory, For Sama, I Lost My Body, About Endlessness, J'accuse, The Whistlers, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, And Then We Danced...

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
2019 Top Ten

I'll add the other three later.

1. Parasite
  2. Avengers Endgame
  3. Uncut Gems
  4. The Lighthouse
  5. Ford V Ferrari
  6. Spider-Man:FFH
  7. Knives Out

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
1. Parasite
- There isn't one single thing I would change from this movie. It is perfect.

2. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood
- One of the best and most personal Tarantino movies.

3. Booksmart
- I just saw it and I knew I had to add it to my list. A good and wholesome comedy.

4. The Irishman
- The third act of the movie is just amazing. A nice turn on the typical Scorsese movie.

5. Klaus
- Incredibly good animated christmas movie. Just for the aesthetics it deserves to be on my top (10) 5.

Last edited:

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will update later but for now those were the ones I really enjoyed:

1. Joker
2. Bacurau
3. Parasite
4. Portrait of a lady on fire
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Pain and Glory
7. Little Women
8. Marriage Story
9. Midsommar
10. The Lighthouse
--------------------------------------------
11. Invisible Life
12. 1917

Plan to see in the next few weeks:
The Irishman
Dolemite
Doctor Sleep
Uncut gems

Not interested but had good critical reception:
Ad Astra(I love scifi but trailers for this killed my interest)
Ford Vs Ferrari
Jojo Rabbit
Rocketman
The Two Popes

UPDATE1: Saw Little Women and The Lighthouse. Also, decided to watch 1917. Tbh I don't think I'm being fair to The Lighthouse. I saw it after tiring day of of work and with a bad projection(really killed contrast) compared to trailers.
UPDATE2: Saw 1917, Midsommar and Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Really loving all The Lighthouse love in this thread so far. I still have to see 1917 (Thursday) and then Parasite on digital next week and I'll be caught up.

OP
OP
Kazaam

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
1. Midsommar
2. Frozen 2
3. Little Women
4. Marriage Story
5. Parasite
6. Cats
7. Knives Out
8. The Lighthouse
9. Her Smell
10. Ready Or Not

Honorable mentions: Doctor Sleep, Let It Snow, The Perfection, Captain Marvel, The Forest of Love, Dolemite Is My Name, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, One Cut of the Dead, Paradise Hills, Booksmart, Us, Tigers Are Not Afraid, The Nightingale, Hagazussa, Knife+Heart

radosiewka

Oct 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I've waited for this thread! So, here is my list but keep in mind that some of the movies were released in Poland a little bit later than in the Us.

1. Parasite
  2. Marriage Story
  3. Boże ciało (Corpus Christi)
  4. Pain and Glory
  5. Knives Out
  6. Supernova
  7. The Wolf's Call
  8. Rocketman
  9. Long Shot
  10. Ad Astra
1. Parasite
parasite1-1420x670.jpg

Masterfully written and acted, the story of clashes in the society (not only in Korea) is an astounding movie to watch. When you think about it, it is a sad story, though the writers and the director avoided giving easy answers and let the viewers decide how they feel about the actions that the characters do. The universality of the movie is another plus - can we despite all odds break through the classes, change our lives and become someone else? Or rather live like someone else? The answer is not sweetened and gets you thinking about the society that we live in, poverty and opportunities that everyone has. Maybe I just like those bitter movies about tough topics to talk about.

2. Marriage Story

There are those movies which get you by surprise - you haven't expected how many emotions would it give you and how lost in thoughts you are gonna be after watching them. Marriage Story available on Netflix is definitely one of them. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson as a pair of people lost in their lives and deciding to divorce is heartbreaking and gives so many questions after watching it - would it be better for each one of them to stay together? Could the marriage be saved if they acted in a different way? Or maybe it was just a stop in their life journey and doomed from the start? The greatness of this movie is the fact that you can take so much from it. And as important for the story is the law and divorce business in USA. I was stunned how many tactics are lawyers using there (Laura Dern smashed every scene she's in - Johansson is invisible when in her presence) and this is great too in this movie.

3. Boże ciało (Corpus Christi)
boze-cialo-recenzja-filmu-1180x541.jpg

I thought a lot which movie should on this place and this Polish drama directed by Jan Komasa and official Polish entry for the Best International Feature Film for Oscar's (now on the shortlist) just should be there because it tells a lot about prejudice, religion and living a life when everybody already crossed you out. It's also a great view of Polish society outside cities, in small villages in the east where religion is still an important part of people's lives. Part of its success is that it is a universal movie - how people fool themselves as always right, never putting themselves in the shoes of others and questioning things. The plot is simple, yet greatly written: Daniel is serving his sentence in a youth detention center for second-degree murder, but his criminal background prevents him from becoming a priest once he is released. After leaving the youth detention center, he is mistakenly taken as a priest and after that, consequently pretending to be a priest in a small community.

4. Pain and Glory
pain-and-glory-banner-min.jpg

I guess this year was a time when I've started watching movies from more well-known artistic directors and indie movies. I never was a fan of Pedro Almodóvar but right now I want to catch up with all of his movies that I haven't watched earlier. Antonio Banderas plays the role of his life - an aging film director in retreat from his profession, facing ill health, depression and the decline of his powers. Watching it feels like taking a dive in the personal life of the characters and it's witty, intelligent and lets viewers figure some things for themselves. Pain and Glory is a film of wonderful richness and warmth, the colours swarming on the screen thanks to amazing cinematography and set-building by the production cast. I wish that this movie got more recognition.

5. Knives Out
Knives-Out-Movie-Review.jpg

It's one of those movies that are less often made nowadays - crime meets comedy in this movie based so heavily on the dialogues and story itself (kudos for Rian Johnson for writing and directing). The cast has no weaker performance - Ana de Armas gives a great show as a take-carer of an old, rich writer who gets mysteriously murder and the investigation led by the police and a private detective (Daniel Craig and his accents are good too).

6. Supernova
supernova-film-2019-recenzja-1180x541.jpg

A debut of Polish director and screenwriter Bartosz Kruhlik, a nicely written story about a young politician driving through a small village in Poland's countryside and then an accident happens. It's a life drama on so many levels and it's hard not to feel an understanding for the actions that each person takes here. It's a low-budget film with one set (middle of a road somewhere between the villages) but it makes you apprise this one even more. If you are interested in the cinema and young wave of Polish creators - just watch it.

7. The Wolf's Call
CE_WolfCall-1.jpg

I like big-budget movies - I've already watched so many superheroes movies that anything else with a bigger budget that is not about them - gains my interest instantly. And as I love military history and submarines in particular - this was a must-watch for me. French movie about the politic, military and soldiers. It's scary because its absolutely possible to happen and filming of the submarines both inside and outside is so well done. And it has such a Dr Strangelove vibe in it - my favorite French movie this year.

8. Rocketman
rockeman-pm-shareimage-1564595618.jpg

It's a great show to watch and an interesting inside look in the Elton John's life. Egerton as Elton John gives a great performance and level of care that the production team gave to the set and costumes is excellent.

9. Long Shot
MV5BZTgwNTY5MjMtZjQ0OC00MTVjLThjNGMtZGU0YTZmZDM0NzlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDMzMzI5MjM@._CR30,79,1462,822_UX1248_UY702._SY351_SX624_AL_.jpg

There aren't many comedies on my list, and this one is a little bit of both comedy and political drama I guess? But it is an entertaining story about being female in the politic and what it takes to go to the top. Charlize Theron plays a secretary of state with ambitions to become a president of the United States and Seth Rogen plays her childhood friend, currently unemployed journalist who used to had a huge crush on Theron's character in childhood. He is hired to write her speeches and that's when the story begins. Characters are so likable and watching it you can feel that they understand each other. It is a romantic comedy but with more of politics and being an ambitious female in a still male-dominated world and times of fake news and gossips everywhere.

10. Ad Astra
ad_astra_DF_00642FD_R2_rgb.0.jpg

If you ever doubt if the cinematography, colors used in the movie, set design are not important. Just watch it and think again. This SF movie is a story of letting go, finding your inner strength and coping with the past and relationships with the family. Brad Pitt gives a lot to this role of a son of a famous astronaut, who is an astronaut as well and is sent on an important mission.

Worth mentioning:
  • Capernaum - great foreign movie (Lebanon), released in Poland in January 2019, but the official premiere was in 2018. It got nominated for Oscar last year, so I've decided to not put it in my top 10 list od 2019. Depressing and an emotional ride through the life of a child, who would rather not be born at all. Masterfully written and acted with a cast with almost no previous acting experience.
  • Ford Vs Ferrari - it's one of those solid Oscar nominees movies - everything is really good and the history itself is the best part of it all
  • Doctor Sleep - I usually avoid movies based on King's literature as I am not a fan of horrors but this is a good one. Characters are interesting, McGregor and Ferguson are shining in their roles. Why it isn't in the top 10? The ending was just too much of a fan service for me.
  • The Favourite - another gem that got released later in Poland and I watched it in 2019. The acting does a job - without Emma Stone, Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz this movie would not be even half as good. 18th Century England and a war with France is an interesting setting for the war for power and also... affection of the Queen. Probably the best role of Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz and her amazing wardrobe in this movie:
thefavourite.jpg

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
8. So Long, My Son

Very moving family chronicle about the side-effects of China's one child policy. The non-lineair approach is disorientating at first, but sooner rather than later So Long, My Son has its claws in you and doesn't let go.
Saw a trailer for this at the arthouse cinema and it seemed interesting. I need to check this out, thanks for the heads up.