• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite; What more is there to say? Not just the best film of the year but one of the best films of the decade and one of my favorites of all time. An honest and engaging genre-defying masterpiece.
2. The Farewell; Moving, funny, devastating, and utterly brilliant. A perfect encapsulation of the Asian-American experience and the inherent cultural divide.
3. Avengers: Endgame; The grand finale to the MCU that dares to be a character-focused work. Thor and Hulk in particular get standout character arcs.
4. Spider-Man: Far From Home; A fun coda to Endgame that has some of my favorite moments in the MCU.
5. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum; Non-stop, pulse-pounding action.
6. Always Be My Maybe; As soon as I saw a young Ali Wong making herself some Spam and rice I knew this movie was going to be excellent.
7. Knives Out; What I thought was going to just be a murder mystery was so much more.
8. Midsommar; What a gut-wrenching look at relationships.
9. Us; Not quite as good as Get Out but still a really fun horror experience.
10. Booksmart; Sure it retreads some of the same ground as Superbad but it's still damn funny.

Honorable Mentions: Abominable, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Toy Story 4, and Shazam!.

Need to see: Uncut Gems, 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Dark Waters, First Love, and many more.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Like some others have said in here, I rarely go to the actual movies to see new releases because it's so damn expensive.

Anways, from what I saw last year...

1. Lighthouse
2. Marriage Story
3. Little Women
4. Us

I should be seeing Parasite at a theater I have a pass at in a couple weeks so I will edit my post at that time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing 1917 this weekend, but list is pretty settled besides that

1) The Lighthouse
An ambitious divergence from The Witch's occult dread, into the genre's more obscure depths. Even less traditional horror than its predecessor, the film is a roaring tempest of style and performance: a descent into cackling insanity, writhing with furious energy against the confines of its square frame.

2) Parasite
A cinematic tour de force: exuberant and electrifying, hilarious and harrowing, playful and poignant. Every character and performance is a delight, every humorous moment lands, each act is a masterful construction of plotting and direction and razor-sharp script.

3) 1917
Oppressive, evocative, suspenseful, 1917 is a relentless masterpiece of quiet humanity and immersive spectacle. Through its immersive one-shot style, the personalities of its two leads are emphasized within an always-forward mission-driven pace, a small personal adventure with an immense war in the periphery. When the credits finally rolled, I was surprised by how many character beats lingered.

4) Uncut Gems
A masterclass in stressful cinema. If Good Time was a grimy riptide of a crime thriller, Uncut Gems is a whirlwind. The frantic anxiety doesn't gradually escalate and it doesn't stop; the movie starts in the middle of a fuck-up hurricane and only intensifies from there. Adam Sandler disappears into the role of scumbag Howard Ratner, his comedic talents heightening the character's awe-inspiring lack of self-preservation and gleeful relish for the hustle.

5) John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
No one kicks ass quite like John Wick, and few action movies do choreographed spectacle as stylishly as Parabellum. Simultaneously the best action-wise of the series and the weakest story-wise.

6) Climax
Climax captures claustrophobic suffocating delirium like few other films I've seen. There is no escape from this terrifying trip, this post-modern tenth circle of hell. Around each unpleasant corner, a new suffering, a relentless orgy of anguish and sex and hate. A labyrinth of deranged emotions and visceral stomach-churning misery, Climax might be the only modern film that gets under my skin in the same you-are-here inescapable nightmare way as Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

7) The Nightingale
An unflinchingly brutal (Australian) Western revenge-drama, The Nightingale is as utterly harrowing in its displays of rage, abuse, and mistreatment towards the disenfranchised and colonized as it is resonant in scenes of empathy and grief. "Depressingly human" is probably the most apt summary of The Nightingale; the period may be separated from today by almost 200 years, but the themes resonate strongly.

8) Knives Out
With assured direction, Rian Johnson creates the cinematic equivalent of a Clue board (as one character puts it) then taps the audience on the shoulder and whispers, hey let the detective do his magic, the more interesting story is over here. That single shift reframes whodunnit into howdunnit into crime thriller and domestic strife. Knives Out crackles with razor-sharp dialogue, characters that feel both theatric and natural, and a lively pace that parses out reveals and twists with playful exuberance.

9) Aniara
A tale of humanity breaking upon the endless void of space, presented in a hauntingly evocative and bleakly existential fashion. Both epic in scope and harrowingly intimately human, this chronicle of agonizingly prolonged cosmic doom was thrilling like the best sci-fi short stories or novellas, where fascinating ideas work as both concept and allegory, where a daring ending evokes a gasp and reflection.

10) Crawl
Crawl knows exactly what kind of movie it is, and absolutely succeeds in delivering. A lean mean genre film as brutal, relentless, and satisfyingly simple as its gators.

Honorable Mentions
- Avengement
- Tigers Are Not Afraid
- Midsommar
- Us
- Ford V Ferrari
- Terminator: Dark Fate
- Ready Or Not
- Arctic
- Monos
- First Love
- Prospect

Last edited:

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
1) Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
2) Doctor Sleep
3) El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

4) Joker
5) John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
6) Avengers: Endgame
7) Midsommar
8) Us
9) Spider-Man: Far from Home

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
these films made me think about

1. The Irishman - Death

giphy.gif

2. Uncut Gems - Capital

giphy.gif

3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Violence

giphy.gif

4. High Life - Birth

giphy.gif

5. Atlantics - Love

fae0848c2b33da6e55744366c42377dd16898de1.gifv

6. The Souvenir - Addiction

giphy.gif

7. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Time

giphy.gif

8. Asako I & II - Family

source.gif

9. Ash is Purest White - Sacrifice

tumblr_pi4xo6gbFR1wuuz0po1_400.gifv

10. Pain and Glory - Age

giphy.gif

Honorable mentions:

- Parasite
- Gemini Man
- Alita Battle Angel
- Transit
- A Hidden Life

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'll have my list soon, but are you going to do a Film of the Decade list after this? Kazaam

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a trailer for this at the arthouse cinema and it seemed interesting. I need to check this out, thanks for the heads up.
Enjoy. It's a challenging watch at timed, because it witholds info for the viewer from time to time and jumps around in time without much notice, but it pays off in the end!

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Uncut Gems
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
4. The Irishman
5. Knives Out
6. Marriage Story
7. Jojo Rabbit
8. Midsommar
9. The Lighthouse
10. Us

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Bombshell tomorrow night and then I'll put my list together

HARK to all my fellow Lighthouse keeper people

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
1- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2- Ford v Ferrari
3- Avengers: Endgame
4- Jojo Rabbit
5- Ad Astra
6- Knives Out
7- Ready or Not
8- Toy Story 4
9- John Wick 3
10- Captain Marvel

Honorable mentions: Shazam!, Alita Battle Angel, Us, Spider-Man: Far From Home and Marriage Story. I still need to watch Parasite, Lighhouse, Uncut Gems, A Hidden Life and Frozen 2.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
So many lists with some combination of The Lighthouse and Parasite in the top two. Y'all are my people!

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite

It really doesn't get much better than this. Much has been said about "Parasite" and its statements on class, but I want to talk about "Parasite" is probably the most meaningful refutation of the MCU's ethos. Disney maintains the MCU doesn't say anything because there are limits to what a crowd-pleasing film can do. It pushes LGBTQ+ characters to the margin and refuses to take any position that could be construed as political because it is meant to entertain. And yet, "Parasite" is not only immensely crowd-pleasing and just flatout entertaining, it does so while saying something meaningful about the world we live in and what it means for us. In short, it completely dismantles the notion that crowd-pleasing implies apolitical and it does so with style to spare. It's utterly brilliant on so many levels.

2. Uncut Gems

Sandman and the Safdies come together to create a character that epitomizes the phrase "love to hate." Let's be clear, no one in "Uncut Gems" matters as much as Howard Ratner. In the face of good old Howie Bling, everyone else is rather two-dimensional and flat in the way they're portrayed. But, Howard Ratner is so alive, so dynamic, so vivacious it doesn't matter. This film is the cinematic equivalent of wearing the most flamboyant, colorful, loud shirt you own with black jeans and black boots because the only way you make that shirt stand out is by making everything else as plain as possible. Adam Sandler does such a phenomenal job embodying Howie that you forget you're watching the star of "Jack and Jill" pick a fight with the Weeknd at 1OAK. In the hands of a lesser actor, watching Howard would be aggravating and annoying but Sandler gives the man enough charm to make it his descents worthwhile. All in all, great film.

3. Little Women
4. The Irishman
5. American Factory
6. John Wick Chapter 3
7. Booksmart
8. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
9. The Farewell
10. The Report

Haven't had a chance to see many foreign films, but this looks about right to me.

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Something like this, maybe. I still need to see 1917 though.

1. Parasite
2. Avengers: Endgame
3. The Lighthouse
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Joker
6. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
7. The Irishman
8. Ford v Ferrari
9. Apollo 11
10. Alita: Battle Angel

I'm probably most surprised by the fact I enjoyed a Tarantino movie for the fist time since Reservoir Dogs. Also, Alita is pretty dumb, but there's just something so fun about it that I had a hard time not enjoying myself. Reminded me of the Speed Racer movie.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, glad the deadline is a decent ways out. I have a top 10 now but there's some stuff I have still to see so I'm expecting movement.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
3. Midsommar
4. Knives Out
5. Booksmart
6. 1917
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
8. Marriage Story
9. El Camino
10. Doctor Sleep

Honorable Mentions:
Frozen II
Ford Vs. Ferrari

The list for now - but I might be seeing 1917, Bombshell, and all the Netflix ones I've yet to see (Irishman, Marriage Story, etc.) before the deadline so it might change.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've barely watched any movies from 2019, and I realised just how many I've missed while skimming other lists here... I need to get on that. Anyhow...

1. Knives Out
Something I'd kept my eye on from the first time I saw a trailer, but not something that I expected to really blow me away. While not too mind-blowing with twists, the phenomenal acting, ensemble cast and incredibly fun journey it takes you on made this worth watching twice in the cinema.

The culmination of a decade, an entire cinematic universe. Superhero flicks aren't for everyone but this hit all the right notes for me, I absolutely loved it. Not sure how they'll top this in the MCU.

3. Us
Another great movie from Jordan Peele. Unnerving and thrilling, this wasn't perfect but I continue to be impressed by his forray into directing.

4. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
Kick ass Keanu Reeves, you can't really ask for more. At times absurd to the point of cringe but the action and stunts were top.

5. El Camino: A Breking Bad story
While it feels like more of an extended TV episode than it does a feature film, I really enjoyed diving back into the world of Breaking Bad and was happy with how they managed it. It was like Jessie and co had never left, a nice little bookend to one of my favourite shows of all time.

6. Joker
Something about this film didn't quite land for me. Maybe I went in with the wrong expectations, but I can't knock the incredible performance by Phoenix.

7. Toy Story 4
Stunning animation, and some solid storytelling. But ultimately it felt a little unnecessary and didn't hit the same height that 3 did for me.

Movies on my list to watch that I really need to get round to:

Parasite, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Booksmart, 1917, Ad Astra, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... and no doubt many others that pop up on people's lists here.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite

This universal drama about our system and the class divide tell us how everyone is a parasite. Highly enjoyable! I urge you to go in blind to this particular film, please!

A cinema milestone! Culminating and celebrating over twenty films released through the span of a decade, Avengers: Endgame accomplished to marvel the whole world through a touching audiovisual spectacle with these relatable characters we know and we've come to care about so much over the years. Juggling with multiple moving parts that, thanks to a well written and executed story, achieve to end several arcs in a surprising resonating and emotionally satisfying way; giving an optimistic look to the future of a universe with regained hope. Just thinking how many people from everywhere felt moved by this "Marvel flick" is an amazing feat by itself. An amazing experience to have had in theaters just this 2019!

3. Jojo Rabbit

A phenomenal tale about fanaticism and hate, in an outlandish and humoristic fashion. Not spoiler: Love prevails.

4. Captain Marvel

An unbound hero who shatters the expectations in a fun timeless story about heroism and belonging, when we find struggles and concerns about our own grasp of the truth; who are we serving? The lead, Brie Larson, delivers a strong performance of the most powerful hero in the universe who strives to be the best she can be, even at the lowest moments, but it all ties back to its bonds with her true family.

5. Marriage Story

An elegant edited film about our struggles from several points of view in relationships.

6. Hustlers

Some beautiful performances in a touching story about the strength of bonds in a harsh system.

7. Uncut Gems

A raw, but very well composed, look at how consequences catch you up and the urgency of dealing with them.

8. Knives Out

A fascinating whodunnit with some classism discussion.

9. Share

Pippa Bianco's nuanced depiction of assault and social media. Every shot is thoughtfully composed and hauntingly scored. A highly enjoyable ride through contemporary hardships, and struggles of victims.

10. Honey Boy

Quite the elegant directed piece that draws from the closest places of a troubled childhood.

Honorary mention: Monos
A fascinating film about vulnerable people inheriting cruetly, and their dire situation in an undisclosed war; very raw but beautifully shot.
MV5BYTA0ZDllNTYtY2ExYS00NGJlLWEzNGEtMjhkMzdhYjViMjZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAzODU1NDQ@._V1_.jpg

Not a favorite of mine but I bet some people here will like it so I wanted to post it here :)

Edit: I decided to take down Us, put Honey Boy up; I enjoyed Midsommar but not Top 10. I still want to see Promare, and others that appear on people's list in this thread!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
2. I Lost My Body

The touching story of a severed hand trying to find his owner again. The body horror part is suprisingly poetic, but it's the romance story that - despite some problematic moments - goes straight to the heart. Above all it's a testament to the power of animation as a medium that can do more than funny family flicks.

I read your top 10, and saw another video top 10 of this movie (and the premise was super interesting), so I watched it on Netflix. What a great movie. I'm not sure I'm supposed to reasonate with the hand's journey or Noufels. I'd talk about this if there is an OT, but I don't think it is. Thanks again for help prompting me to this.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
1. The Irishman
2. Parasite
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
4. Uncut Gems
5. Knives Out
6. Midsommar
7. Ad Astra
8. Joker
9. Us
10. Marriage Story

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I read your top 10, and saw another video top 10 of this movie (and the premise was super interesting), so I watched it on Netflix. What a great movie. I'm not sure I'm supposed to reasonate with the hand's journey or Noufels. I'd talk about this if there is an OT, but I don't think it is. Thanks again for help prompting me to this.
Glad you liked it! I think this kind of serves as the OT. Haven't posted in it myself. Saw the movie early october on a film festival (it's not on Netflix here, it got a small theatrical release. Netflix doesn't own the rights here) so my memories of it are kind of fading.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately I haven't seen too many movies this year I genuinely like enough to call a "movie of the year". Infinity War and Rise of Skywalker, while fun to watch, are really disappointing in retrospect, and I ended up seeing a number of movies that just fall flat (MIBI, Aladdin and the Lion King spring to mind). I just went to see the wrong movies, really. Thankfully, there are six standouts that I do not regret and would gladly watch again.
  1. Promare - I am in love with this film, if my avatar didn't make it obvious, and I wish it had a wider release. The visuals are gorgeous and inventive, the animation is fluid and feels alive, both the Japanese and English casts are masterful, the music is fucking amazing, and the themes tackled (even if according to the producers, unintentionally) are hyper-relevant between discrimination and the climate crisis. The main plot is a bit silly, but everything else more than makes up for it. Also the first time I've seen a same-gender kiss in an animated move, so, kudos on that.
  2. Detective PIkachu - I don't care if I'm laughed at for this, but it was a thrill to see Pokemon in "real life" on the big screen as a Pokemon fan since childhood, and it was a decent enough movie on its own merits. Ryan Reynolds as DP was of course a highlight.
  3. Rocketman - Honestly I went into this without any knowledge of Elton John's life, so this was as educational as it was entertaining. The cinematography and imagery is really fucking amazing, and Taron Egerton is a phenomenal actor.
  4. Jojo Rabbit - Taika does an excellent job of keeping a movie about a literal Nazi youth befriending a Jewish girl and coming to realize how evil the Nazi mindset is surprisingly humorous, yet also respectful of the horrors of the Holocaust and Nazi rule. The performances are all excellent, too. Just a really good combination of satire and drama.
  5. Harriet - Just a really well done biopic on Harriet Tubman. Cynthia Ervio's performance was a definite highlight.
  6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Yes, I'm serious. As ridiculously stupid as the plot is, the movie is an absolute feast for the eyes. Even if you have problems with it as a narrative, as a visual piece, it's superb. Plus if you're a kaiju fan, there's plenty of monster action. Definitely check it out.
  7. The Two Popes - Just squeaked this in at the end of 2019 on New Year's Eve. It's a phenomenal piece that really humanizes these figures large swathes of the world see as either godlike paragons or as evil hoarders of power. It doesn't ever excuse either pope for the bad choices they made, but it still makes you feel things for them- disgust, pity, even joy. It does what a good character piece should do.
  8. Spider-Man: Far From Home - Fun little Marvel movie, better than the other two "bigger" ones that came out this year, nothing really negative I can think of.
I just realized I said "phenomenal" a lot, lol...

I'll do an honorable mention of Blinded by the Light. I don't list it because I only JUST remembered it as I finished my post, but it was a decent movie that dealt with important subject matters, but it kind of felt like it sidelined them for the main plot rather than having them be a part of it. Honorable mention to Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 as well. Pretty, nice enough, but they didn't really do enough for me to really say I "loved" them.

Edit: OH SHIT I FORGOT DETECTIVE PIKACHU WAS THIS YEAR, I THOUGHT IT WAS 2018 WHEN I THOUGHT BACK ON IT, TIME TO UPDATE
Edit 2: I forgot about FFH as well but that one I actually think I'd like to see again unlike CM and Endgame so I'll throw that in.
Edit 3: Forgot Harriet was this year, bizarrely. Definitely bad on me.

Last edited:

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1. Parasite
Intricately crafted. Funny. Intense. Brilliant. This is the total package for filmmaking. The performances are gripping, it's beautifully shot, and scored. It has something for everyone. It's a crowd pleaser, while also being an extremely clever portrayal of class struggle, and feels especially timely right now. I don't want to say anymore, so to not ruin any of the twists and turns in the film. Do not miss this. It is a modern masterpiece.

2. The Lighthouse
A simple tale on the surface, but with the weird arthouse depth, with very purposeful imagery. Two men on a small island in the middle of the ocean, running a lighthouse together. The descent into madness from these two is just a wonder to behold. Dafoe and Pattinson are incredible. The choice to go black and white, and shoot in a very narrow aspect ratio, was a stroke of genius. It simultaneously feels grand, and claustrophobic. Why'd ya spill yer beans?

3. Midsommar
A breakup film, wrapped in a horror movie blanket. It's dark, twisted, well crafted in its detail and portrayal of ritualistic cults. It's a day time horror, with just gorgeous cinematography, a haunting score, a surprisingly emotional climax, and a revelatory performance from Florence Pugh. Seriously, put her in everything please.

4. Avengers: Endgame
They did it. They pulled it off. 10 years, and 20 films worth of build up. This is a clever, and well crafted send off for the first 10 years of Marvel. The character interactions, and payoffs are just... just wow. It's given enough time to develop and naturally move so nothing feels rushed. Its a triumph, and earns every bit of fan service it throws at us. Tears. Only the second film in the MCU to do it.

5. I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
I love anime film. But, I especially love anime that can make me feel something. And my god, did this film rip my heart out of my chest, throw the bits into a blender and press smoothie. The characters are just fantastic. The animation is wonderful, and the story, start to finish, goes to some really deep places, and then hits you with an emotional gut punch to bring about the big character, and emotional payoff. If you like anime, don't miss this.

6. The Farewell
The culture clashes that ensue when an americanized Chinese woman goes back home to her traditional Chinese family to secretly say her goodbyes to her grandma, who doesn't know she's dying from cancer, is one of the most heartfelt, touching, and real portrayals of family, and what they do for eachother. Awkwafina is brilliant in the film, and grandma Nai Nai stole my heart. One of my favorite characters this year, and one of the best films of 2019.

7. Marriage Story
A brutally honest, and real depiction of a marriage headed to divorce. Marriage Story takes us, step by step, through the process, and shows how two connected people, end up on seperate paths, and how each of them is right in their own way. No one is the villain here, but the film slowly gets more bitter, and ugly as it develops, before coming to a satisfying and thoughful end. The characters remain front and center, and feel entirely real. Adam Driver is astounding in this. And Scarlett Johannsson gives maybe her best perfomance.

8. Joker
So, the film that was supposed to insight violence, and cause mass shootings over its glorification of violence. Yeah how'd that work out media? Seriously, what this film actually is, is a meditation on mental health, the health care system, and the societal injustices that create monsters like the Joker. Beautifully shot, scored, directed, and acted. Joaquin Phoenix is outstanding as a new, but respectful take on the character.

9. Booksmart
It seemed like it might just be Superbad, but with girls. But what this turned out to be, was a very funny, fresh, modern, and realistic take on the high school party adventure film. Beanie Feldstein, and Kaitlyn Dever have such a wonderful, and charming back and forth. They feel like real friends. The ups and downs in their relationships are well written, and feel real. But surprisingly, the side characters kind of steal the show. These characters could easily be stereotypes, but the filmmakers are smart enough to know how actual teenagers are these days. They are types, but they are real, and heartfelt, respectful types. It's a teen comedy for a modern audience, and an instant classic.

10. Knives Out
So, after the massively successful, and critical darling, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, director Rian Johnson decided to scale things back, and attempt to create a fresh take on the Whodunnit. Is he successful? Absolutely. The cast is incredible, with terrific performances from Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, and a showstopping performance from Daniel Craig. It's clever, and wildy funny. The twists and turns are surprising, and the themes of again, class struggle, are so brilliantly weaved into the story. The whole thing feels so fresh and new, while following classical traditions, and the finale... Well, let's just say it's one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen.

Everything else I saw, ranked.

The Peanut Butter Falcon
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Toy Story 4
Doctor Sleep
Jojo Rabbit
Uncut Gems
Little Women
Greta
In Fabric
Glass
The Irishman
Rocketman
Ad Astra
Spider-Man: Far From Home
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
Yesterday
Dark Waters
Hustlers
Jumanji: The Next Level
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Blinded by the Light
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
Queen & Slim
Shazam!
Alita: Battle Angel
Aladdin
Child's Play
Dora and the Lost City of Gold
Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
Happy Death Day 2U
Ma
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Captain Marvel
Anna
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot
Frozen II
Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary
Terminator: Dark Fate
IT: Chapter Two
Modest Heroes
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
54. Us
Crawl
Playmobil: The Movie
Ready or Not
Dark Phoenix
Good Boys
The Goldfinch
Rambo: Last Blood
Dumbo
Okko's Inn
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Harriet
The Good Liar
Pet Sematary
Gemini Man
Charlie's Angels
Men in Black: International
Serenity
The Fanatic
The Intruder
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Hobbs & Shaw
Playing with Fire
Cats
6 Underground
The Lion King
Hellboy
Loqueesha

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
  1. Little Women
    Its probably the proximity of seeing the movie so recently but the emotional high of the experience is still fresh and I ended up consuming a bunch of Louisa Alcott trivia at the end of it. The plot of the sisters not so much overcoming but learning to live with a world full of compromises was affecting and personal but the idea being updated with Jo's (and Alcott's) triumph In finding a place for herself, a thing for herself, it just felt like it hit something oddly specific just for me and that's just gives it an unfair advantage in my ranking. But so it goes.
  2. Jojo Rabbit
    It humanizes (some) of its Nazis. But doesn't forgive them. It's a strange balance and the off kilter Taika humor does blunt the horrific context of the eight year old's worship. Until it doesn't and a shot of shoes is so devastating a moment for when the reality of the ideology breaks through the childish whimsy.
  3. Marriage Story
    The movie at one point has Driver's character morosely state that the money they're paying their lawyers is their kid's college fund and that feels like it should be an epiphany moment of why are they continuing down this self destructive path. But the movie opens with both parents saying the other is competitive and the movie illustrates why both suddenly find themselves competing for their son's time and how damaging it is when that time has to be divided. Its an oddly empathetic, fair portrayal of both sides in a divorce.
  4. Booksmart
    Theres a good number of ongoing plots and the message is simple but portrayed in a meaningful way. Seeing people for who they are. First as the comedic inciting incident that kicks off their misadventures and then as they learn about their classmates, as a heartfelt, bluntly delivered thesis statement. But I appreciated it.
  5. I Lost My Body
    It's so French. I dunno what I'm actually saying, it's dreamlike, it's driven by feelings, it doesn't bother to stop and explain and you're just in it for the ride. It's melancholy and feel bad at times and it climaxes in a confrontation I knew was coming but the romantic comedy instincts told me they wouldn't be so brutal but it didn't stop there. That was wrong of him. But I understood that in the context of his unhappy life, he desperately wanted a connection and didn't consider her feelings in the midst of it. Also the disembodied hand is surprisingly likable, you don't understand what a feat this is, I am extremely squeamish and hate body horror but god I was rooting for that hand to overcome traversing a small city landscape as just a disembodied hand. What an impressive feat of animation.
  6. Toy Story 4
    I had low expectations since I figured 3 was the end of it. I might've been overly impressed that they found some place to go with it. There's a couple ways to view the relationship of toys with people and I chose to think of it as parents to children and as Woody's predicament as the uneasy feeling of no longer being needed but still trying to do right by his kid. ... it's not a clean metaphor, its just how I saw that part of the movie.
  7. Klaus
    Uh. It was creative and fun and it got me in the Christmas spirit.
  8. Knives Out
    It was delightful following a mystery that lays its cards out for you. That the heroine is defined not through scheming but through kindness was a twist that was especially delightful.
  9. Avengers: Endgame
    I think it's just impressive that it feels like a conclusion to more than a decade's worth of buildup. It's a strange feeling that doesn't seem likely to be repeated, not even by future Marvel endeavors as they scatter their myths into the Disney+ sphere.
  10. Promare
    ... Screw it, it's my list. This is my pick for dumb and loud and fun and utterly unconcerned about being anything but a turn off your brain crowd pleaser. It's happily self aware and the utterly absurd ways the universe contorts in dramatic moments to accommodate the main character's demands was a hoot. That the main character doesn't have any special powers aside from this optimistic spirit of knowing the plot will work in his favor kept it from being a straight up power fantasy and I had a good time.

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
1. Pain and Glory
A very relatable movie to me, a genuine piece of work from AlmodĂłvar

2. Marriage Story
Adam Driver rocks.

3. Parasite
It actually reminds me of some 90s HK movie. but a very well crafted one.

4. The Art of Self Defence
Love the quirky vibe around, and the perfectly casted Jesse Eisenberg.

5. A Rainy Day in New York
I guess Woody Allen is still my thing.

6. Ad Astra
Love the cinematography and a literal Space version of The Lost City of Z.

7. Her Smell
The first half is my favourite, the camera, lighting and performance of Elisabeth Moss altogether, so cool.

8. Midsommar
A horror happening under daylight. Like how the director blend the break up drama with a cult, so original.

9. High Flying Bird
Witty dialogue and genius ending.

10. Little Women
A very modern way to remake the classics. Gerwig deserves a nomination.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
  1. Frozen II – One of the most stunning animations I've seen, with an incredible soundtrack, beautiful songs and a story I found far more engaging to follow than its predecessor which I really loved watching .
  2. Shadow - Quite unique looking cinematography and choreography and enjoyed the political intrigue
  3. Klaus – An Animation film that really caught me by surprise not really heard of it before it even released and it delivers being an incredible film. I really enjoy the 2D/3D style they went with.
  4. Jojo Rabbit - The funniest film I've seen this year and manages to balance the drama very well
  5. Avengers Endgame – Very satisfying and emotional ending in a way I never quite expected with the time heist.
  6. The Night Comes for Us - I had a lot of fun with the film the action sequences, crazy stunts and story beats.
  7. Knives out - Was really entertaining watching Daniel Craig going in on Blanc watching the events unfold.
  8. The Irishman - Scorsese delivers another interesting crime film, not quite as good as his older films in my view but very solid film all round.
  9. Ford V Ferrari - I think this edges out Rush as the best racing film I've seen. Acting performances are great and the marketing is slightly misleading in a way which actually surprisingly benefited the experience.
  10. Togo - Willem's actual best film last year. Togo the MVP dog.
Other films I enjoyed this year
  • Parasite
  • The King
  • Ready or Not
  • Toy Story 4
  • John Wick 3
  • Shazam
  • Dolemite is my Name
  • The Lighthouse
  • Uncut Gems

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
these films made me think about

1. The Irishman - Death

2. Uncut Gems - Capital

3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Violence

4. High Life - Birth

5. Atlantics - Love

6. The Souvenir - Addiction

7. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Time

8. Asako I & II - Family

9. Ash is Purest White - Sacrifice

10. Pain and Glory - Age

Honorable mentions:

- Parasite
- Gemini Man
- Alita Battle Angel
- Transit
- A Hidden Life
Love the way you did this list

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I actually haven't seen many movies at the cinema this year, but I also felt like I chose my films wisely:

1. Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood
  2. Ad Astra
  3. Apollo 11
  4. Ash is the Purest White
  5. Happy as Lazzaro
  6. How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World
  7. Midsommar
  8. The Peanut Butter Falcon
  9. Shadow
  10. The Sisters Brothers

Lots of underwhelming films this year; Alita: Battle Angel, Avengers: Endgame (after the superb Infinity War, this felt decidedly ho-hum), Spider-Man: Far from Home (I love seeing Mysterio, but not so much the rest), Terminator: Dark Fate and, after all the praise Joker received, I was excited to go and see it, only to come away thinking 'great acting and cinematography, but everything else has been done many times before'.

And the release dates here in the UK for films such as the likes of The Farewell, The Lighthouse, Parasite and Uncut Gems (and many more) means that nobody has seen them at the cinema yet...

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Loved the mentions of Aniara, then I saw Hulu suggesting it (likely because I was watching Orville) and gave it a shot.

What a. Entirely different experience with this and Wall-E and Passengers.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
The Lighthouse
A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood
Uncut Gems
The Irishman
Parasite
Knives Out
Doctor Sleep
High Life
Ad Astra

Last edited:

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
Parasite
Endgame
Jojo Rabbit
Knives Out
The King

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Far From Home
Doctor Sleep
Uncut Gems

Last edited:

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
In 2019 I spent more time watching older movies and really only watched the big movies of last year.

1.Knives Out: It might be different in a rewatch, but this was a lot of fun watching.
2.The Irishman: A return for form for Scorsese and my favorite movie from him since Goodfellas.
3.Parasite: Took a Turn I wasn't expecting, it was a good watch.
4.Toy Story 4: Probably wasn't necessary, but it was still entertaining.
5.Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: I like historical settings, and it was nice seeing a look at 1960s Hollywood.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Knives Out
3. Little Women
4. Ford v. Ferrari
5. Uncut Gems
6. The Farewell
7. 1917
8. Marriage Story
9. The Irishman
10. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Marriage story
3. Joker
4. Avengers endgame
5. The Irishman
6. Uncut gems
7. Ford vs Ferrari
8. John wick 3
9. 1917
10. Knives out

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
1. Uncut Gems:
2. Parasite:
3. Ash is the Purest White:
4. The Irishman
5. Better Days
6. Doctor Sleep
7. Shazam!
8. My Dear Liar
9. The Farewell
10. The Lighthouse

Year was pretty damn good for me. Honorable mentions would be FvF, Last Black Man, Night Comes for Us, 1917, Jojo, Midsommer, Apollo 11, and Endgame

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's still a few more I'm hoping to squeeze in now that there's stuff coming to streaming and all, including like three on Netflix that I really have no excuse not to watch... but for now:

1. The Lighthouse
Robert Eggers just sort of hits the right notes for me. The subject matter in the Lighthouse (like the Witch) is remote and historical and, in a sense, hard to relate to. But when put on film, with top-notch actors and direction and lighting and framing, it all feels disturbingly real, in a way horror rarely manages to. And Christ, what a performance from Willem Dafoe!

2. Little Women
You'd think a book this old would be hard to connect with, but the cast here imbues so much humanity that I think it would be harder not to. I think the historicity here just makes the universal appeal of the characters so much more obvious. An 1870s internet would be full of "Which Little Woman are you?" fan polls.

3. Midsommar
I don't think I left 100% satisfied by Midsommar, and the setting at times strained my credulity, but it's just such a well-realized horror film that isn't afraid to turn the dial all the way up. Cults, man.

4. Us
I think I'm in the minority that enjoyed Us more than Get Out. It's got some major problems, but the "big reveal" was a brilliant cross-section of horror, humor, and social commentary that makes the whole film work. Like, Hand Across America? That's just brilliant, and is definitely going to stick with me.

5. Marriage Story
Nothing revolutionary, but very well written an acted - just a great execution of the story. The characters all feel like individuals with history, their lives all well-lived. Adam Driver definitely steals the show, though. His deadpan dad lines killed me a few times.

6. Booksmart
I was surprised by Booksmart - coming of age movie, high school students, set in LA, dorks trying to be cool, nothing really novel about it. But despite the trappings of the genre, it was tough to predict where exactly the plot would go next. Great acting from the main cast, the supporting cast, everyone - I laughed a lot and had to pause the movie a few times from the sheer cringe of it all.

7. Parasite
Here, I'm in the minority that didn't love Parasite. I've seen a few Bong Joon-ho movies, and all of them left me with an "oh, that was pretty good" feeling - perfectly whelmed, never too impressed. But I can't deny how clever the plotting is, how visually interesting the house is, and how the cast of characters hops between contemptible and sympathetic so deftly.

8. The Two Popes
The pacing in the back half, when it dips into flashbacks, really holds The Two Popes back. As a biopic, it's pretty meh, and at times feels a bit too much like a Pope Francis puff piece. But as an excuse to get two top-tier actors together in a room, bringing a human dimension to some of the modern world's biggest public figures? It's a must-watch.

9. Villains
While it's primarily a thriller/horror/comedy type movie, and very much in that genre, Villains is mostly buoyed by the most romantic lead couple I've ever seen in a film. And on the other hand, some truly charismatic bad guys to play off of. There's four main actors in the film and every single one does an excellent job. Maika Monroe is probably the standout, but the dynamic between them all makes the whole film a unique experience.

10. Dolemite Is My Name
There wasn't much particularly novel about Dolemite, nothing that hasn't been done before in showbiz biopics or movies-about-movies. But the cast is excellent (Wesley Snipes in particular cracked me up), and it's absolutely a story worth telling. I've seen it compared to Burton's Ed Wood, and I think it's a good comparison; they both just overflow with love from the creators to the subject matter.

Movies I saw this year and enjoyed, but not enough to put on a "best of" list, in rough order of preference: Spider-Man: Far From Home, Missing Link, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Culture Shock, Little Monsters

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
You know what word I would use to describe 2019 moviegoing? Disappointment. This was supposed to be the greatest year of cinema in history, yet all I watched was franchise after franchise deliver subpar material. A good majority of reboots, sequels and relaunches fell flat on their faces. Not even Star Wars could land its haphazard trilogy. Sure this year's film will likely make the most money in history, but that doesn't quell my fears that quality may be in decline.

So instead, I turned inward, going with lesser known stuff as well as some indie films. It was there where I found solace in the fact that this year did have some gems. Maybe it's time for blockbusters to go with some original content this time around.

Anyways, here's what I have in mind.

1. Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota (The Man Who Feels No Pain)

giphy.gif

I have this site to thank for showing me this gem of a film, so thanks. It's essentially tied with Parasite, but I figured this one needed the top spot more. Comedic action films fills my heart with joy, and this movie hit the right spot. This movie had me in stitches from the first minute to starts. It plays up the spoof nearly perfectly while the actors give it their all. They make creative use of our protagonist's abilities that would make the Deadpool writers applaud. The leads all do a phenomenal job with their roles. Abhimanyu Dassani incredibly transitions smoothly in his debut role as the preppy yet determined Surya. Gulshan Devaiah had me completely mindblown when he gets to play both the one-legged black belt Karate Mani and the diabolical yet charming Jimmy, one of my favorite villains of 2019 (I didn't even know they were played by the same actor at first). And Radhika Madan performs near perfectly with such a kick-ass yet nuanced role. Supri is straight up one of my favorite characters for that year (I want her, the Hammer Girl actress and Charlize Theron in a buddy action film stat). It's crazy how little experience everyone has yet their nailed everything from the humor to the incredible fight scenes. It's a real shame no one is talking about it, even in India. I hope it gets some love come award season and some of the action movie buffs check it out someday. A perfect love letter for martial arts spoofs.

2. Parasite

giphy.gif

A lot of movies commentated on the class divide in 2019, but Parasite stands head and shoulders above the rest. The acting was superb all-around (though Song Chang-ho deserves special mention), the humor is scathing and yet you can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. Even more subtle areas from how the rich people's house was set to the entire makeup of that poor neighborhood make you gasp in amazement in how they could have made this movie, proof that the best special effects are the ones you don't even notice until told to. It's extremely engaging and it's impossible not to watch in wonder. This is especially true in the second half when all hell breaks loose in the most entertaining yet brutal way possible. This movie is the complete package, excelling at every category. Bong Joon-ho is one of the best directors in the business and I hope he gets his dues in the Oscars.

3. Booksmart

source.gif

Coming of age teenage girl films have had a quiet renaissance recently, and this film continues the trend, albeit in more of a comedic tone. Olivia Wilde does a fantastic job at her directorial debut. Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein do a great job as best friends, yet the rest of the cast were also fun to watch. All while exploring romance, social standings and strains in romance. I hope more movies like you continue the genre.

4. Missing Link

tumblr_piqevdG09P1qd2pfqo2_540.gifv

Laika is back with his most technically impressive movie yet. Link himself is a marvel to look at as you constantly wonder how such a creature is made in claymation. The background itself also pushes his craft to the very limits of claymation. Link is a joy to watch taking everything literal, yet I ended up liking Zoe Saldana and Hugh Jackman's chemistry as well as its conclusion. The movie also had a nice message about accepting who you are and not to to hastily join cliques. Definitely the animated movie of the year.

Also... getting impaled by an icicle on the way down to the mountain floor has to be one of the most brutal deaths in animation.

5. Queen & Slim

tumblr_pvm8losneD1x0bvwko8_500.gifv

There was a discussion on the thread wondering if these kind of movies involving police brutality are becoming too prevalent. While I do think there should be more diverse roles for black people, that shouldn't discourage others from making these kind of films. And for a debut director, Melina Matsoukas had a hell of a start. The who leads did well and the movie makes an effort to humanize the two. Yet the world building from the script deserves credit, going through multiple perspectives on the issue. I hope she gets to do more movies.

Rest in Power Angela and Earnest and may you be remembered like Thelma and Louise.

6. Hustlers

giphy.gif

Who would have guessed this movie loosely based on real life would be an hilarious and interesting color commentary of capitalism? Who could have also guessed this movie would be an acting clinic with Constance Wu proving her tenure at Crazy Rich Asians wasn't a fluke and Jennifer Lopez putting up her best acting performance yet? Not me, that's for sure. The very concept of this movie is crazy, but give credit to Lorene Scafaria as well as the editing team for smooth cinematography. I'm also glad they didn't try to sugarcoat the scam these ladies pulled. Overall an interesting look into a little-known aspect of society.

7. Jojo Rabbit

tumblr_pvz9gk2ggd1wkgtdkjx.gif

Don't let the crazy premise scare you. Taika Waititi know exactly what he's doing, even while dressed as Hitler. His usual flair of comedy is supported by a stellar cast of actors, with Scarlett Johansson, Thomasin McKenzie, Sam Rockwell and Archie Yates being the highlights. The premise is a rollercoaster of emotions, yet the entire ride is a fun one highlighting the absurdity of Nazism. He managed to fix some of the more problematic issues of the source material and ended up making a heartfelt film in the midst of Nazi Germany.

Scarlett was great, but Thomasin should have been in the Oscar running with Ilsa, the Jewish girl in hiding and the biggest highlight of the film. Changing the power dynamic between her and Jojo compared to the book helped out the story a lot.

8. Shazam!

raqBeoj.gif

You have no idea how stoked I was for finally getting a movie about one of my favorite comic book characters. Though with the choice of going with the new 52 version and DCEU's track record of quality, I was nervous. Thankfully, those fears dies down by creating a great film with a lot of heart. Mundane things like flying are made novel again with its unique editing and the casting overall was great (although Sivana was lackluster). It weaves the city of Philadelphia into the character nicely and improves upon its source material with making Billy more sympathetic and mature over the course of the movie. Cheers to my superhero movie of the year. Bring on the Monster Society.

9. Ready or Not

giphy.gif

A lot of people have been making comparisons between this film and Knives Out. Both reveal social commentary on class and go a great job at it. Rian had the advantage of being a proven director and a star-studded cast. But Matt and Tyler had an ace on their sleeve: their wonderful script. It helped balance out the cast so that everyone could shine brightly. Knives Out may have it beat for best acting from Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas and Chris Evans, but Ready or Not gave its overall cast much more to do. At this rate just make Samara Weaving the title of new Scream Queen of horror, putting the poor woman through the ringer yet selling every bit of it. Yet everyone else ended up being rather memorable characters in their own right. And all of this fails to mention just how hilarious the movie was. I was sold the moment I saw the trailer and I'm glad it met my expectations. It was one of the most fun I had with a movie in 2019.

10. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

tenor.gif

It's a step down from the perfection that was the first one, but I thought it was by far the best sequel that came out this year. I was a bit worried about how they would incorporate the little sister into the sequel, but they did a great job at doing so. The songs are both catchy and serve the narrative along with some impressive animation. The animation isn't any more special than previous installments, but it remains as great as ever. And when things get real in the third act... it really hits you like a ton of bricks. It's a shame it didn't get much recognition even if it's less glaring that omitting the first one.

Best Honorable Mention:

Doctor Sleep

3d98ec91687b1012015960e3bc84d3c6c9ee8ef1.gifv

I have to be honest, I had no idea there was a sequel book to the series. The fact that so much of the book was different from the movie makes incorporating both into a sequel a tough task. Thankfully, the film succeeds in doing just that. Practical effects give weight to displays or psychic abilities, while the actors play their roles well. Special mention goes to Rebecca Ferguson for the unsettling Rose the Hat, the actors playing the original cast for doing a banged up job at it and the baseball boy for THAT scene. Also give credit to Mike Flanagan and the writers for incorporating the books and previous movie into a coherent sequel.

Also on the 'so close' list are Endgame (hype as hell and well scripted, but expected as such as a comic book reader), Furie (a nice Vietnamese acion flick), Klaus (a movie that rivals Missing Link in the animation department), Spider-Man: Far From Home (a movie with a hell of a twist, but at this point I yearn for a MCU film that can break that ceiling like Black Panther and The Winter Soldier), Us (a solid horror film, but it's themes are more muddled than the film that came before it), Toy Story 4 (loved what they did with Bo Peep. Buzz Lightyear? Not so much) and John Wick 3 (I think I liked it better earlier, but it soured slightly on me for the Power Creep and Wick himself being increasingly absurdly invincible).

Most pleasant surprise goes to Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Oh boy, did not expect to like that film at all. I spent my childhood mocking the show, but I have to tip my hat for making the impossible work as a damn good movie. Like seriously, Isabela Moner deserves a freaking Oscar just for making Dora a believable and awesome character in a film.

I would like to watch Little Women, Uncut Gems, The Farewell, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Last Black Man in Ssn Francisco in the future.

Last edited:

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
1 - The Irishman
2 - Parasite
3 - Portrait of a Lady on Fire
4 - Uncut Gems
5 - Transit
6 - Midsommar
7 - Marriage Story
8 - High Flying Bird
9 - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
10 - Richard Jewell

Maybe I've gone soft in my old age, but this was a shockingly good year for movies. Couldn't even fit Knives Out, The Farewell, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Ford v Ferrari on this list. And I haven't even seen Little Woman yet!

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite: Engrossing and deftly switching tones in as small a unit as a scene or even a line, Parasite is a masterful work by Bong Joon-ho.

2. Uncut Gems: There are a lot of possible cliches, such as "you'll pay for a full seat, but you'll only need the edge," that you could apply to the Safdie Brothers' follow-up to Good Time, but this was a movie that I wanted to look away so I could cringe at what Adam Sandler's Howard Ratner chooses to but couldn't look away because I was hooked to what I was seeing.

3. Pain and Glory: this feels like Pedro Almodovar's most personal film, and it left me feeling warm about the power of cinema.

4. Knives Out: I thought the conclusion was a little contrived, but I really enjoyed watching his, from Daniel Craig's ridiculous accent on down. The hurt and pain in the family anchored what could have been a zany, funny murder mystery to give it something more.

5. The Lighthouse: Beautiful madness on screen.

6. The Farewell: this film made me want to connect with my family, and it convinced me that Awkwafina can actually act.

7. The Last Black Man in San Francisco: this is the film that I go back to think about every now and then. I've been trying to write about this movie since I saw it last year, and I can't find the words because there's so much I want to say about it.

8. Midsommar: the funniest, darkest movie I saw in 2019 beside Villains.

9. Little Women: the Florence Pugh push continues with this film. I don't have a particular connection to Little Women, but I thought this was heartful, beautiful film. It dialed back on Greta Gerwig's twee tendencies.

10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: this was fine.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
1. The Lighthouse
2. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
3. Parasite
4. They Shall Not Grow Old
5. Jojo Rabbit
6. The Irishman
7. Marriage Story
8. Knives Out
9. The Last Black Man in San Fransisco
10. Uncut Gems

Last edited:

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. 1917
3. The Irishman
4. Uncut Gems
5. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
6. Ford v Ferrari
7. Apollo 11
8. The Lighthouse
9. Booksmart
10. Ad Astra

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
1. Parasite
Parasite's message is humane and beautiful even if everything that happens is so tragic and ugly. It was great to rewatch it, notice a few more details, and discuss them with people.

2. Knives Out
Fun movie, delightful characters, neat twists, and that ending just felt great!

3. Midsommar
Another gem of a horror film by director Ari Aster. The movie just exhausts you and makes you accept the characters' shocking fates by the end. Yet I felt I could watch them for another hour with intense curiosity.

4. The Lighthouse

5. The Art of Self-Defense
Lots of good movies with themes of toxic masculinity this year. This one in the form of a dark comedy. Jesse Eisenberg did an excellent job with the main character.

6. Us
A fun and intriguing horror thriller that stayed with me. I kept thinking about its metaphors and symbols long after watching it.

7. Ad Astra

8. Little Women

9. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
The end of the saga delivered a satisfactory ending and quite a few exciting fan service moments.

10. Ready or Not
A simple movie but highly entertaining.

Just as a curiosity, these are the 3 stinkers I liked the least according to my IMDb ratings: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker, Aladdin and Dark Phoenix.

Last edited:

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
2. Knives Out
3. The Farewell
4. The Lighthouse

Honorable mentions - Avengers Endgame

I still have yet to see Parasite, Uncut Gems, Queen and Slim, and JoJo Rabbit. I've been real bad about missing films this year.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017

1. Knives Out

I loved this. How this was constructed and conveyed was brilliant. I loved the outcome, how a certain character ended up, given their behavior versus other characters, and given all the tropes we're used to in a murder mystery, it's new, it's original, its just *chefs kiss

My favorite film of the year because it represents what I want to see more of.

2. Parasite

A fascinating examination of the perspective of societal classes. How they yearn for what they don't have. The jealousy, the inventiveness, the pride, the anger, the love, the THIEVERY, all of it is on full display in Parasite. So is how it's shot. It was all so interesting to look at. The colors, composition of the shots, the use of light and dark all played a part in where this dark little tale went. And holy hell. I loved how it all wrapped up. I'll be thinking about it for a while. This was some good shit. One of the years best easily.

3. Little Women

Damn, I loved this. So many character beats that hit home. Everyone nailed those characters. I loved how this was told, never read the book, but I can imagine that this was woven in a different way that the book. But above all without having read the book, I don't think I've ever felt the love of a book more than Greta's adaptation of it. This came from a very deep, moving part of appreciation, of someone who has internalized these characters so fully they have lifted off those pages and truly become alive.

4. 1917

Technically it's brilliant, tense, beautifully shot, intimate, but somehow it's emotional beats fell a little flat for me. I was easily more in awe of wondering how the hell they pulled off shooting this movie than the actual narrative. I mean, this was filmed and directed by wizards. It's a magical feat that they accomplished. And the score takes me back to some of those 80s bangers. It's oftentimes glorious front and center in a way scores usually aren't these days. I just wish with all this technical wizardry, this rousing score, excellent performances, godly cinematography, that the narrative evoked something more than it did.

5. Jojo Rabbit

I loved this. It walks a balance of poignant and funny that I'm not sure if anyone but Taika could have pulled off. The kids, the actors, how apt it is in this cultural environment we're all in right now. Its message, and outcome, its all good stuff and one of my favorites this year.

6. The Farewell

This quiet little film moves through the full spectrum of emotions, often on a dime. I haven't fallen for a character as fast as Nai Nai in a long time. Sweet mercy this was a good.

7. Avengers Endgame

Where to begin here--it's really hard to come down on this, of everything Marvel has built here, and not see Endgame as a wildly successful conclusion to this crazy experimental interconnected serialized cinematic universe. To see where this goes, how it pays homage to the road it's taken to get here, and how it concludes is nothing short of spectacular. In so many ways, I was surprised at plot developments, especially where I thought I had the gist of where things would go, reading way too many theories out there, and just coming away from it all blown away at the level of care they gave to the continuation of the conclusion of Infinity War, and all its ramifications, to our heroes we've spent so much time with, and to the world/universe, they inhabit.

As a "blockbuster", and how the zeitgeist is going to treat this when the box office settles, I think this will be one of the most culturally impactful films we'll get in a long time. I can't fathom the amount of built-up anticipation that another film would need to rival, matching what Marvel has done here, building each movie, connecting it to the larger narrative, and being able to juggle all these characters into one climatic conclusion that meets that level of anticipation head-on. As pop culture entertainment goes, this is likely now the gold standard.

I mean, I just can't get over as I've been mulling over this since I saw it just how wildly thrilling that third act was. It's something I will want to revisit many times over the years, and something that is perfect to watch with a crowd who is into what is happening. It was thrilling and unforgettable.

So now Marvel gets to go into a totally new phase of whatever else they plan to build up now, and I have no idea if they can seriously keep this momentum going or just how far they can keep the public fascinated by superheroes, but if they manage to find a way to keep things fresh and explore new narratives and characters, I can't imagine how this thing doesn't keep going indefinitely.

8. Booksmart

Wowow. Olivia Wilde came out of the gate with an incredibly realized comedy. I'm extremely impressed by this. Well acted, directed, written and funny as hell. The stakes aren't too high here, but there's heart, and a fully realized friendship that really works that drives the whole thing. Fully on board anything Olivia does next if this is any indication of what to expect.

9. John Wick 3: Parabellum

I want to bathe in the neon raininess that is John Wick's cinematic aesthetic. Just the settings and colors that, and decadent rooms that all these gunfights take place in, everyone is dressed up, sleek, tattooed, dangerous. And then there's the action, they still find ways to surprise, give Wick something new to use to barely escape a sticky situation. I love this series and I hope the series reaches John Wick 6: Revolver. Because: SIX CHAMBERS.

10. I am Mother

Been waiting on this since I heard all this buzz about a fascinating sci-fi film after premiering at Sundance. It did not disappoint. I love contained stories, that have enough central mystery or character interaction that it fuels the entire film, especially when there are only three characters, and mostly one setting. I love the challenge of that and I am Mother is one of the better examples of it. The performances are excellent, especially newcomer Clara Rugaard who truly carries the film and its story. I love the robot design and how it was presented visually and practically. I love the moral debate the film presents among its characters and how that argument plays out. I love how the three characters present a sort of duality of choice for one of the characters and what happens will have massive repercussions. I love how it presents the concept of what being a mother is about and the lengths they will go to protect and foster. This is great sci-fi. It challenges and presents a bunch of interesting ideas and does it with aplomb.

Full list on Letterboxd here.

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. The Lighthouse - Just spellbinding, with two amazing performances, often darkly hilarious, with an immense dedication to evoking a period. I think I was nearly as drunk as the main characters when I saw this and had a great time.
2. Parasite - Hilarious, masterfully suspenseful, and an amazing commentary on class relations
3. Little Women - Beautiful and moving
4. Jojo Rabbit
5. The Farewell
6. Marriage Story
7. Midsommar
8. Knives Out
9. Apollo 11
10. The Two Popes

Will update as I see more of this years films.

Honorable Mention: Capernaum - did not see it until this year, and more people should see it.
Dishonorable Mention: Aquarela - Gorgeous, with stunning use of high frame rate cinematography, but overbearing and boring. Disappointing after the opening following the ice rescuers. A poor man's Koyaanisqatsi / Baraka / Samsara.