• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite
2. The last black man in san fransisco
3. honeyland
4 Marriage Story
5. dolor y gloria (pain and glory)
6. The Lighthouse
7. for sama
8. the farewell
9.first love
10. Knives Out

hm: rojo, jojo rabbit, the two popes

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I still have more to watch but as of 1/16/2020...

1. Parasite
2. The Irishman
3. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
4. Midsommar
5. Marriage Story
6. The Lighthouse
7. Uncut Gems
8. Long Day's Journey Into Night
9. Deadwood: The Movie
10. The Art Of Self Defense

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably change this once I watch Parasite and find others like The Lighthouse and One Cut of the Dead somewhere before the deadline.

1. Parasite
2. Joker
3. Avengers Endgame
4. Alita Battle Angel
5. Shazam
6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
7. John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
8. Ready or Not
9. Doctor Sleep
10. Captain Marvel

Last edited:

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
1. The Lighthouse
2. Midsommar
3. Avengers Endgame
4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
5. John Wick 3
6. The Peanut Butter Falcon
7. The Irishman
8. Uncut Gems
9. Joker
10. The Last Black Man In San Francisco

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my top film is locked in but there's a couple I need to catch up on like Uncut Gems.

Thoughts on a best of decade list?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
  1. The Lighthouse
  2. Parasite
  3. JoJo Rabbit
  4. Uncut Gems
  5. Midsommar
  6. Knives Out
  7. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
  8. The Farewell
  9. Art of Self Defense
  10. The Irishman
Honorables:
  • Ad Astra
  • Last Black Man in San Fransisco
  • Honey Boy

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Avengers: Endgame
2. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
3. Jojo Rabbit
4. Joker
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
6. Toy Story 4

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My list won't count cause I have a tie but fuck it.

1. Avengers: Endgame/Marriage Story (tie)
    Talk about two polor opposites. I thought Infinity War was fantastic and was my fave film of 2018. And not really a surprise, I felt the same way about Endgame. The conclusion to the Infinity Stone arc that back in 2012 with The Avengers was a long journey (and I don't mean the three hour runtime for Endgame), but in my mind, it came to a satisfying conclusion. I'm not quite fatigued with MCU movies or superhero movies in general, so I'm excited for the start of Phase 4 and beyond. As for Marriage Story, I'm quite shocked by how much I loved this movie. Very strong performances from not just the leads of Adam Driver and ScarJo but from the supporting cast as well. I loved that at one moment you could find yourself laughing at a particular scene only to be remaining silent at a moment where there is so much verbal tension, you don't know what's going to happen. And Driver's scene near the end is an emotional gut punch. I didn't think any movie would match with Endgame in terms of entertainment. Nothing else did. But I never thought any movie would be favorite film of this year outside of Endgame, let alone share the top spot. But Marriage Story surprised me. That's how much I loved it.

2. Parasite
    All the talk about this movie ("best film this year", "go into it blind") was certianly interesting. So from an expectations perspective, it certainly had a hell of a lot to live up to. I did go into it blind as best as I could and I came out of it blown away. While I don't have it as my best film of the year, being 2nd place isn't too bad.

3. Uncut Gems
    It's only the 2nd film I've seen from the Safdie Bros (Good Time being the first), but they have knocked it out of the park yet again. Adam Sandler is phenomenal as Howard, and the supporting cast (including Kevin Garnett of all people and Julia Fox who is smoking hot) is top notch. You are emotionally anxious throughout the film, and in the final 15-30 minutes you feel the tension boiling over ready to explode while your left with an ending that you knew it was the only way it could end. I know that Sandler is gonna go back to doing shitty comedies, but I really want to see him in more serious stuff now. And I certainly want to see him in more stuff from the Sadfie Bros. If you haven't seen the latest short film from them with Sandler in it (Goldman vs Silverman I believe is the title), you should check it out.

4. Booksmart
    Although this movie didn't light the world on fire at the box office, I hope the movie's poor performance doesn't deter Olivia Wilde from directing another movie. The entire cast and story was fantastic.

5. 1917
    A technical masterpiece from Sam Mendes with Roger Deakins doing the cinematography. The one-shot approach isn't a hinderance even if your left wondering where the cuts are. While there a few periods of downtime, the movie is never slow. It's a 2-hour movie that really feels like 90 minute movie. And George MacKay is amazing as the lead. You can feel the emotional weariness of the journey that his character must take to save the lives of soliders he has never met. Easily one of the best war films you'll ever see.

6. Promare
    Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann/Kill la Kill) + Hiroyuki Sawano (composer) + Studio TRIGGER (animation studio) = An anime movie that's animated as fuck, with music that jams (Superfly > Inferno btw) and two main characters that are extremly likeable (and good looking to boot). Would this movie have been better as a TV series? With the treatment of the supporting cast in the movie, possibly. But I loved this movie either way and I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray.

7. Knives Out
    Dear Rian Johnson,
    Please make a sequel to Knives Out before wasting your time with that supposed Star Wars trilogy of yours that may or may not happen. Your talents would be wasted trying to please the shitty toxic fanbase of a overrated shitty franchise in Star Wars. I want more Benoit Blanc!

8. The Farewell
    Sometimes it best to not deliver bad news to someone in fear of what they might do. Awkafina is great (robbed of Best Actress Oscar nomination) as well as the grandmother (robbed of Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination). A movie that leaves you waiting for everything to finally come crashing down, but in the end you are left with the assurance that everything is going to be fine. Some things are better left unsaid.

9. The Irishman
    Marty Scorsese may not like Marvel movies, but the man still can deliver the goods, even if the "goods" is a crime movie that's 3.5 hours long! Finally doing another movie with Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci after 20+ years and adding Al Pacino to the mix? *chef kiss* You couldn't ask for more. This is quite possibly the last great crime epic we'll ever seen on film so I highly suggest you cherish every minute you spend watching this. It's absolutely worth it.

10. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    More people need to see this movie. Period. You won't regret it.
Honorable Mentions: The Report, Ad Astra, The Beach Bum, Honey Boy, Ford v Ferrari, Weathering With You, Pain and Glory, Dolemite Is My Name, El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, Alita: Battle Angel, Ready or Not, Crawl, Child's Play (2019), The Two Popes, Spiderman: Far From Home, Shazam!, Toy Story 4, John Wick 3, One Piece: Stampede, Us

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Still have two or three to watch before the deadline but I might as well put down where I'm at so far:

1. Knives Out
2. 1917
3. Midsommar
4. Doctor Sleep
5. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
6. The Lighthouse
7. Us
8. Ready or Not
9. Ad Astra
10. Atlantics

Going to be unfortunate if Atlantics gets bumped because I really love it and it seems lesser known but once all is said and done I'll put together some honorable mentions as well.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm hoping I can see the Pendings before the voting is up.

Best:
Parasite
Knives Out
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
Uncut Gems
Joker
Alita: Battle Angel
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Rocketman
Marriage Story

Honorable Mentions:
Ready or Not
John Wick 3: Parabellum
Booksmart
Us
Avengers: Endgame

Pending:
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Dolemite Is My Name
It: Chapter 2

Worst:
Terminator: Dark Fate
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Joker
3. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
4. Avengers 4
5. The Lighthouse
6. Art of Self Defense
7. Ford v Ferrari
8. Shadow
9. Alita
10. Godzilla: KotM

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  1. Parasite
  2. Marriage Story
  3. Steven Universe: The Movie
  4. JoJo Rabbit
  5. Knives Out
  6. The Irishman
  7. Booksmart
  8. Us
  9. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
  10. John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I finally caught up with everything I needed to see, so now it's list time.

1. The Lighthouse
source.gif

The only film from 2019 to make my best of the decade list. Two of the best performances of the year that are being completely ignored in awards certificate, a trip to insanity that never lets up or makes you feel comfortable at all, and one of the purely unique films of the year. Please watch this.

2. Parasite
tumblr_pw13silLDn1qa3emao1_500.gif

This was the only film to challenge The Lighthouse for the top spot this year. It is purely enjoyable for the first hour until the nightmare sits in. It's fun, it's twisty, it's relevant, and all the performances are stellar. Another can't miss for the year, and my pick to win everything it can at the Academy Awards this year.

3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
cast.gif

I have always been a fan of Tarantino and the characters he builds, but I really think this is his best work since Pulp Fiction. It does have some old timey Hollywood wankery in it, but overall it has his best dynamic of two friends on screen, Brad Pitt will finally get an Oscar, and it has the most explosive finale of the year. Part of me wishes it were his last film, since I think it perfectly encapsulates everything about what Tarantino is and isn't.

4. The Irishman
tenor.gif

This is one of Scorsese's best, straight up, and it's a shame Pacino and Pesci have to compete in the same category just to lose to Pitt. It's slow burn for sure, but you really do get the sense you're living what is happening with how long we stay with these characters. And the scene with Pesci and de Niro decided the fate of Jimmy? Best of the year for me.

5. Knives Out
giphy.gif

Rian Johnson follows up the second best Star Wars film with the best murder mystery in years. The twists are fun and not overly telegraphed, Daniel Craig is lovably ridiculous, and it's just pure fun. I hope for many more sequels to this.

6. Midsommar
e7a6ec187a536bc0a18f0553dff5b63c

Hereditary is my favorite movie of the decade, and what a worthy follow up for Ari Aster. A nice pleasant daytime experience for a horror movie? Hell yeah. As a side note, please watch the director's cut of this film, which is only available on iTunes digitally. It's the superior experience and boosted this film up my list after the initial viewing.

7. In Fabric
tumblr_pyqgti5ZH41rrkahjo4_500.gifv

Probably the most obscure movie on my list, one that went critically overlooked and didn't get the usual A24 marketing for their home runs. It reminds me of a David Lynch coven movie, in the best way possible, and one that I think will become a cult classic in the coming years.

8. Little Women
jofritzdance_orig.gif

I didn't talk about Florence Pugh in Midsommar above, but goddamn if I won't here. She has had one of the best single years in Hollywood I've seen in a long time, and now she gets a Marvel movie in May. She is amazing in pretty much everything that she graces the screen in, and is the brightest star that came out of 2019. But this movie had an entire cast of incredible performances, and made you care about everyone. I hated Lady Bird with a passion, but this movie has reignited my interest in seeing where Greta Gerwig goes.

9. Uncut Gems
giphy.gif

No movie has ever almost given me a panic attack like this one. I am not even exaggerating, I have never been more uncomfortable in a film than I was watching all the wrong decisions being made in a row without an inch of room for a mistake. It also serves as a reminder that Sandler makes shit film by choice, which is very depressing.

10. Booksmart
Ohnj0A.gif

What a breakout for basically everyone involved with this movie. As someone who isn't the biggest fan of comedies, this hit all the right buttons, and Billie Lourde as Gigi is perhaps the hardest I've laughed at a movie character in years.

The Rest:
Marriage Story: The viewer feels everything that happens in this film, and Adam Driver deserves all the awards.
Ready or Not: The surprise of 2019 for sure. Samara Weaving made an incredible final girl, and there's as many scares as there are laughs.
The Farewell: How a movie went from critical favorite to nothing at the major awards is a fucking joke.
Shadow: A movie I literally bought because of how good the 4K disc is, but was shocked at how much more this movie was than its looks.
Ad Astra: You like slow, weird sci-fi with Brad Pitt? If not, you'll now realize this was something you were missing.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm hoping I can see the Pendings before the voting is up.

Best:
Parasite
Knives Out
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
Uncut Gems
Joker
Alita: Battle Angel
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Rocketman
Marriage Story

Honorable Mentions:
Ready or Not
John Wick 3: Parabellum
Booksmart
Us
Avengers: Endgame

Pending:
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Dolemite Is My Name
It: Chapter 2

Worst:
Terminator: Dark Fate
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
There's a thread for worsts list here.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
1. Knives Out
2. Ford v. Ferrari
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
4. Avengers: Endgame
5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
6. Shazam!
7. Velvet Buzzsaw
8. Hobbs & Shaw
9. Captain Marvel
10. Godzilla: King of Monsters

I still need to see Jojo Rabbit, Parasite, 1917, and Little Women which will likely knock things off this list.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having a baby in 2019 really put a dent on my ability to see movies, so I'll keep mine short and sweet as I didnt get to see everything I normally would have:

1. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
2. Knives Out
3. The Lighthouse
4. The Irishman
5. Marriage Story

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
2. Knives Out
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
4. John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum
5. Toy Story 4
6. Ford v. Ferrari
7. Captain Marvel
8. Shazam!

For me, Endgame was more than just the movie itself, it was the spectacle surrounding it, it was the audience reactions in the theatre, it was the epic opening weekend record, it was the discussion surrounding the movie and its historic run to the top of the box office records. The movie itself was amazing as well, it was a satisfying conclusion to everything that was built up before it, it was 3 hours of pure Marvel pleasure. I honestly don't know if there will be a movie event like this again in my life.

A couple movies I watched which I found middling but not bad enough to put in the worst movies list would be SW: TROS and Aladdin.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Lighthouse
  2. Midsommar
  3. Us
  4. Climax
  5. Bliss
  6. Parasite
  7. Booksmart
  8. Aniara
  9. Last Black Man in San Francisco
  10. High Life

Honorable mentions: One Cut of the Dead, In Fabric, I Lost My Body, Daniel Isn't Real, Ready or Not, Captain Marvel

Still working on thoughts on each of these and may tweak rankings, too

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
1. Parasite
2. The Irishman
3. Toy Story 4
4. Knives Out
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Doctor Sleep
7. Jojo Rabbit
8. The Two Popes
9. Midsommar
10. Avengers: Endgame

Oct 31, 2017
1lFIeM1.jpg

1. Midsommar
2. Klaus
3. Once upon a time in Hollywood
4. Marriage Story
5. Ford v Ferrari
6. I Lost My Body
7. Parasite
8. Long Shot
9. Uncut Gems
10. Toy Story 4

-
11. 1917
12. Rocketman
13. Knives Out
14. Joker
15. Hustlers
16. Jumanji: The Next Level
17. Blinded by the Light
18. Aladdin
19. Crawl
20. Wild Rose
21. Avengers Endgame
22. Us
23. Fighting With My Family
24. Zombieland: Double Tap
25. Dolemite is my Name
26. Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw
27. Yesterday
28. High Flying Bird
29. I am Mother
30. Always be my Maybe
31. Honey Boy
32. Lion King
33. Angel has Fallen
34. Booksmart
35. Alita: Battle Angel
36. Shazam
37. The Perfect Date
38. Captain Marvel
39. Ad Astra
40. Luce
41. Noelle
42. Spiderman: Far From Home
43. IO
44. See You Yesterday
45. Falling Inn Love

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Lighthouse
2. Aniara
3. Parasite
4. The Irishman
5. Climax
6. Midsommar
7. Iceman
8. Marriage Story
9. Burning
10. In Fabric

Still need to see 1917 and Joker, but I'm pretty confident most of this list will hold.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My list won't count cause I have a tie but fuck it.

1. Avengers: Endgame/Marriage Story (tie)
    Talk about two polor opposites. I thought Infinity War was fantastic and was my fave film of 2018. And not really a surprise, I felt the same way about Endgame. The conclusion to the Infinity Stone arc that back in 2012 with The Avengers was a long journey (and I don't mean the three hour runtime for Endgame), but in my mind, it came to a satisfying conclusion. I'm not quite fatigued with MCU movies or superhero movies in general, so I'm excited for the start of Phase 4 and beyond. As for Marriage Story, I'm quite shocked by how much I loved this movie. Very strong performances from not just the leads of Adam Driver and ScarJo but from the supporting cast as well. I loved that at one moment you could find yourself laughing at a particular scene only to be remaining silent at a moment where there is so much verbal tension, you don't know what's going to happen. And Driver's scene near the end is an emotional gut punch. I didn't think any movie would match with Endgame in terms of entertainment. Nothing else did. But I never thought any movie would be favorite film of this year outside of Endgame, let alone share the top spot. But Marriage Story surprised me. That's how much I loved it.
Don't sabotage your list unnecessarily. You wrote some incredibly indepth observations on why you loved the films you loved. It would be such a shame to short-change your contribution by mandating a self-disqualification for no reason. There's still plenty of time to change up your list so you wind up with a final 10 that you're happy with.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
2. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
3. Parasite
4. Us
5. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
6. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
7. Joker
8. Toy Story 4
9. It Chapter Two
10. The Irishman

Oct 25, 2017
Current list though it'll most likely change as I squeeze in more 2019 films:

1. The Lighthouse
2. Midsommar
3. Us
4. Climax
5. Bliss
6. Knives Out
7. Parasite
8. Aniara
9. Last Black Man in San Francisco
10. High Life

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
1. 1917 - The new single shot standard takes you on a journey few movies are capable of conveying. It can be artistic and emotional, it contains the best soaring audiovisual moment of the year. Really well executed in all aspects and likely the 2019 movie that will age the best.
2. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood - Charming, fun & cool from end to end. I could have seen it again immediately after my first showing.
3. Parasite - Every minute is precious and well spent.
4. Us - A great trip with an intriguing lore.
5. JoJo Rabbit - A brave movie that's pulls on all its varied threads in a very confident matter creating something highly unique.
6. The Two Popes - Very authentically made with intriguing dialog.
7. Joker - The subtlety of the acting here is extraordinary.
8 Knives Out - Fun, fun, fun.
9. The Lighthouse - Wtf.
10. Midsommar - WTF.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I feel I'm ready to finalize my Top 10 list. I might change it if I like Rocketman enough.

2. Knives Out
3. 1917
4. Apollo 11
5. Jojo Rabbit
6. The Lighthouse
7. Parasite
8. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
9. Klaus
10. Spider-Man: Far From Home

Last edited:

Run_64bit

Oct 28, 2017
Top 10 for the year:
1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. Knives Out
4. Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood
5. Marriage Story
6. Midsommar
7. Ready or Not
8. 1917
9. Booksmart
10. Us

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Final top 10. Didn't watch several movies
  1. Parasite
  2. Honey Boy
  3. The Farewell
  4. Last Man in San Francisco
  5. Apollo 11
  6. Avengers End Game
  7. Aniara
  8. Booksmart
  9. I Lost My Body
  10. Nightingale

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Marriage Story
3. Waves
4. Jojo Rabbit
5. Midsommar
6. Little Women
7. Knives Out
8. Her Smell
9. American Factory
10. The Farewell

haku

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - (one of the best of the decade and I wonder why it's not in most people's list. Every scene was like painting, and the story (+finale) was poetic)
  2. Parasite - (a very fun movie about class conflict. I didn't like the last 10 minutes though)
  3. Marriage Story - (great acting and writing)
  4. The Lighthouse - (a very striking trip to the madness of two men intoxicating each other)
  5. And Then We Danced - (the wedding scene hit me so hard. It was so relatable for me)
  6. Midsommar - (despite some flaws, this is the most beautiful and colorful horror movie I've ever seen)
  7. Pain and Glory
  8. Uncut Gems
  9. I Lost My Body
  10. The Farewell

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Still working through some of the movies, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to see Knives Out, Uncut Gems or Jojo Rabbit before they leave Theaters.

1. Parasite
  2. Honey Boy
  3. Nightingale
  4. Last Man in San Francisco
  5. Apollo 11
  6. Avengers End Game
  7. Aniara
  8. Booksmart
  9. I Lost My Body
  10. Frozen II
Pending: The Farewell, Two Popes, Irishmen, Marriage Story, Midsommar, For Sama, Dolemite is my Name.
Knives Out and Jojo Rabbit are both gonna be on digital next week

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
  1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - (one of the best of the decade and I wonder why it's not in most people's list. Every scene was like painting, and the story (+finale) was poetic)
  2. Parasite - (a very fun movie about class conflict. I didn't like the last 10 minutes though)
  3. Marriage Story - (great acting and writing)
  4. The Lighthouse - (a very striking trip to the madness of two men intoxicating each other)
  5. And Then We Danced - (the wedding scene hit me so hard. It was so relatable for me)
  6. Midsommar - (despite some flaws, this is the most beautiful and colorful horror movie I've ever seen)
  7. Pain and Glory
  8. Uncut Gems
  9. I Lost My Body
  10. The Farewell
Gotta still wait a month for Portrait to come out here in UK! The Lighthouse came out today so gonna go see that.

Ayeffen

Jan 27, 2020
London, UK
You guys in the US are rather lucky as for some reason lots of films get held for release into January the following year over in the UK - I won't include any that I've seen in 2020.

1. Le Man '66 (aka Ford Vs Ferrari)
2. Hustlers
3. Knive's Out
4. The Good Liar
5. Rocketman
6. Avengers: Endgame
7. The Farewell
8. Official Secrets
9. The Favourite
10. On The Basis of Sex

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't put it on my list but episode 5 of too old to die young is basically a feature film, you don't really need any context of the show to appreciate it, and it deserves to be mentioned in the best of the year lists.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
1) The Irishman (9.8/10) - While the length will be intimidating for some and the de-aging technology doesn't look perfect, the film is consistently engaging. This is a collaboration of legendary actors and arguably the greatest living film-maker at the twilight of their lives and careers. It's a real treat to see Joe Peschi in front of the camera again after such a long hiatus. If this ends up being Martin Scorcese's swan song (he's 77), what a send-off for one of the all time greats.

2) Uncut Gems (9.7/10) - An adrenaline rush of a movie with a great performance from Adam Sandler. The Safdie brothers have such a unique ability to put the audience in the character's shoes and foster a feeling of empathy even with an extremely flawed persona in the spotlight.

3) 1917 (9.7/10) - From a technical perspective, this is an absolute masterpiece. With legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins behind the camera, it's no surprise that this film is the most visually pleasing work of the year. The story and characters aren't fleshed-out as much as some would like, but simplicity isn't always a bad thing.

4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9.6/10) - The best Tarantino film since Inglorious Basterds. It's a love letter to the city of Los Angeles and to the late Sharon Tate. It features great performances from its ensemble cast and the director's typical flair for immensely satisfying endings. The attention and effort to get the late 60's details right as far as costume design, set design, and music is second to none.

5) Marriage Story (9.6/10) - Far and away my favorite Noah Baumbach film. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johannson each give powerhouse performances in this story about life, love, divorce, and reconciling with an ex for the sake of the child. The script is brilliant and the direction is intentionally subtle to allow that to shine.

6) Little Women (9.6/10) - Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird) is establishing herself as a terrific young director that focuses on projects with strong feminist messaging. Women feeling the societal pressure to be mothers and wives and forego any ambition to be more than that is an issue we are still dealing with today. This remake features stellar work from an all star cast.

7) Parasite (9.5/10) - The first hour or so is cinematic perfection. The second half is still entertaining, but never quite reaches the same heights. Director Bong Joon-ho (The Host, Snowpiercer) crafts a beautifully shot, surprising, and metaphor laden entry to his impressive filmography.

8) The Farewell (9.5/10) - Awkwafina is fantastic in a very measured, quiet performance. The film deals with how different cultures react in the wake of a family member receiving grim medical news. You'll be surprised how convincing the messaging is especially given how off-putting the concept initially seems to be.

9) Dolemite is My Name (9.5/10) - Eddie Murphy plays the role of his career as Rudy Ray Moore. A fascinating true story about one of the most compelling and lively people the world has ever seen. Moore is the godfather of rap and the creator of some of the most beloved Blacksploitation films ever made.

10) Pain and Glory (9.5/10) - Antonio Banderas stars in this multidimensional story about one's career, drug use, sexuality, childhood, and physical/emotional pain. There's a neat story behind the scenes of this movie, as director Pedro Almodovar and Banderas reunited after a 30 year falling out. The script is in part a reflection of them working together again and letting bygones be bygones.

Honorable Mentions:

Wild Rose (9.4/10) - A "Star is Born" type story about a wannabe country artist living in Glasgow, Scotland. It touches on the difficulty in balancing adult responsibilities with trying to accomplish your dreams. Jessie Buckley is breath-taking in the lead role.

Diego Maradona (9.4/10) - One of the greatest sports documentaries ever made. The life story of the Argentinian futbol genius is almost too crazy to believe. From countless affairs, rampant drug use, being loved like a god, to being despised by an entire country, it's not only a fascinating portrayal of a legendary athlete, but a look at the troubled man behind the curtain.

The Peanut Butter Falcon (9.1/10) - The feel-good movie of the year. A young man with downs syndrome decides to take his life into his own hands and experience the world, meeting an unlikely friend along the way. It's a very uplifting experience that I will not soon forget.

American Factory (9.2/10) - The Obama production company, Higher Ground, financed this fascinating documentary about a Chinese windshield company taking over a plant in Dayton, Ohio. The film-makers were able to create an unbiased account of the culture clash between the Chinese executives dealing with American workers.

Paddleton (9.2/10) - An understated, melancholic film that features terrific chemistry from it's two leads, Ray Romano and Mark Duplass. The Duplass brothers (Cyrus, Togetherness) are incredibly talented filmmakers that use a general guideline for a script and allow their performers to improvise a lot of the dialogue.

Fighting With My Family (9.2/10) - Even if you don't happen to be a wrestling fan, this drama based on a true story involving a wrestling family will tug on the heartstrings. Writer and director Stephen Merchant (The Office, Extras) brings his typical wit and charm to the proceedings.

Ask Dr. Ruth (9.3/10) - A wonderfully tender and sincere documentary about the beloved Dr. Ruth. A woman who made sexual education a priority despite going through many horrors in her life that would leave most people unable to focus on anything other than themselves. If you enjoyed the Mr. Rogers documentary from last year, this is a perfect follow-up and tribute to another hero that informed and inspired countless lives over the years.

Transit (9.3/10) - While it's not quite as captivating as Christain Petzold's previous film, "Phoenix," this is a compelling immigration love story with a black and white aesthetic. It's intentionally ambiguous in terms of the time period to give it more of a sense of urgency and relevancy.

Booksmart (8.8/10) - Olivia Wilde's directorial debut is absolutely fantastic. A coming of age story made by a woman, starring young women, that has laughs, heart, and visual flair. Unfortunately it bombed at the box office but I want to see more projects like this.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (8.8/10) - The best action film of the year and one of the best ever. The first third of the film is absolutely bonkers. They continue to up the ante with this franchise and it continues to deliver. Director Chad Stahelski and Keanu Reeves are quite referential in their love for the genre, and there are quite a few nods to other great action flicks.

One Child Nation (8.9/10) - An examination of the one child policy in China and the impact it had during its installation as well as its long term effects. From the population disparity, to countless young adults that may never meet their birth families, to the guilt many feel for what they were asked to do to discourage offenders, it's quite damning and a black mark on China's history.

Knives Out (8.9/10) - Rhian Johnson (Looper, The Last Jedi) shows off his writing and directing chops here with a very entertaining and mystery filled who-dunnit. I wasn't a fan of one particular character trait, but all-in-all it was chock full of laughs and surprises.

Apollo 11 (9/10) - This documentary provides the unique experience of traveling back in time and evoking feelings of being a spectator during such a monumental event in human history. The re-mastering of the audio and video from 1969 looks and sounds incredible, and the never before seen footage gives you a glimpse into the spectacle of it all.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (9/10) - Out of all the inspirational Tom Hanks roles over the years, this may be the most memorable for me. He was able to tap into the generosity, compassion, and goodness of Fred Rogers, maybe because he exhibits a lot of those same traits himself.

Rocketman (9/10) - Unlike Bohemian Rhapsody, a movie that chronicled a music legend and focused far more on the performer than the actual man, Rocketman puts Elton John center stage, flaws and all, and uses his music to capture the essence of his humanity. It's extremely well done, and is one of my favorite musicals ever.

Ford v Ferrari (9/10) - There's nothing quite like the experience of an exhilarating racing flick. Like "Rush," this is a non-stop thrill ride with good performances from Matt Damon and Christian Bale. The intriguing true story deals with how companies often focus on image at the expense of producing the best possible result.

Leaving Neverland (9.1/10) - This was not an easy watch. It's unsettling to come to the realization that the allegations many have hoped were false about Michael Jackson are undoubtedly true. The victims shed a light on why it is so difficult to come forward, especially when the perpetrator is someone they themselves have admired. It hones in on the impact abuse has on not just the victims, but their families as well.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on watching films. I'm not even sure I watched 10 that came out in 2019 yet. But my number one is obvious:

1. The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers cements his place as a must-watch filmmaker. Striking visuals, two powerhouse performances, gripping atmosphere, and a relentless sense of intrigue. Is it a thriller? Is it a character study? It's just a damn fine film with themes and allusions that you'll continue to study for weeks after viewing.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I illustrated my picks with an image below
  1. Jojo Rabbit - This masterpiece goes from comedy to really dark and emotional in a heartbeat and it is seamless, excellent set ups and payoffs. It's phenomenal, everyone should watch it.
  2. Parasite - It's a smart movie, it doesn't need to beat you over the head with its themes. Who were the parasites in the end? Wonderful film, so intense I literally had to go outside to calm down. Foreign films are often ignored due to an irrational fear of subtitles
  3. Knives Out - I'm a sucker for whodunnits, Ryan Johnson is a genius.
  4. 1917 - A technical masterpiece, but the story is a bit on the weak side. Didn't like the score at all so that really brought it down for me.
  5. Joker - This movie didn't deserve the controversy it got. It's a genuinely good film with a haunting and amazing score. I do wish it wasn't too on the nose with its themes but the twist caught me off guard and Joaquin as the joker really frightened me in a way only Heath Ledger had been able to, wonderful film.
  6. John Wick 3: Parabellum - My favorite John Wick film to date! And I watched them all last year for the first time.
  7. Dolemite is my Name - Eddie Murphy is BAAAAAACK
  8. Weathering With You - The best animated film of the year.
  9. The Lighthouse - I liked The VVitch but this one went a little too far for me at times.
  10. Klaus
Shoutout:
  • Avengers Endgame
  • Rocketman
  • Doctor Sleep. A movie I hoped was better than it ended up being.
My worst films of the year, just cause:
  • Toy Story 4. I have grown to dislike Pixar greatly, their movies feel like products to me instead of well, art.
  • Cats. What an absolute nightmare, I had a lot of fun with this film because I watched it with my friends. But it was a horrendous experience I could never stomach to do again
  • Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker. Hands down the most pathetic film I have ever watched, the movie was down on its knees begging to be liked by ANYONE, using all the dirty cheap tricks, then blaming all of its problems on the last film instead of continuing the path laid out before it. This was a challenge but it was doable, Rey a nobody from nowhere, meaning anyone could become a jedi, the story was there, but nope. A pathetic unmitigated disaster, I was too embarrassed to finish watching it. Unlike Parasite, which I had to leave for a minute just to take a break, I left Star Wars for a few minutes because it was unbearable. A MAIN CHARACTER DIED?! nope, just fine. A CHARACTER WILL LOSE ITS MEMORY and... oh, he is fine now. Ugh, awful.
  • Hellboy. I cant even remember if it was this year, that was also fucking terrible. Worst part being, the main actor was actually a great call. Shame

5XISjqZ.jpg

Last edited:

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Parasite
  2. Uncut Gems
  3. Ad Astra
  4. Marriage Story
  5. The Wild Goose Lake
  6. I Lost My Body
  7. The Irishman
  8. So Long, My Son
  9. First Love
  10. Forest of Love
Honorable Mentions:
  • Elephant Sitting Still – A masterpiece, but technically from 2018
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  • Knives Out
  • And Your Bird Can Sing
  • Light of My Life
  • White, White Day
  • Ford v. Ferrari
Haven't seen yet:
  • Little Women
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Waves
  • To The Ends of the Earth (Kiyoshi ftw)

Sep 12, 2018
Trying to make my list as US-centric in its release dates as possible just to fit in more movies that could make it so no Burning even though it's in my top 10 of the decade.
  1. An Elephant Sitting Still
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Uncut Gems
  4. Dragged Across Concrete
  5. The Irishman
  6. Parasite
  7. Ash Is Purest White
  8. John Wick 3
  9. The Lighthouse
  10. Knives Out

Runners up:
  • The Farewell
  • Hail Satan
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Midsommar
  • Pain and Glory
  • Us

Pretty damn great year if you ask me.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Trying to make my list as US-centric in its release dates as possible just to fit in more movies that could make it so no Burning even though it's in my top 10 of the decade.
  1. An Elephant Sitting Still
  3. Uncut Gems
  4. Dragged Across Concrete
  5. The Irishman
  6. Parasite
  7. Ash Is Purest White
  8. John Wick 3
  9. The Lighthouse
  10. Knives Out

Runners up:
  • The Farewell
  • Hail Satan
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Midsommar
  • Pain and Glory
  • Us

Pretty damn great year if you ask me.

Yeah, it feels like you could have a top 15 or so, and the nominees would still be pretety good.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Ford v Ferrari
3. Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
4. The Irishman
5. 1917
6. John Wick : Chapter 3 - Parabellum
7. Knives Out
8. Hustlers
9. Ad Astra
10. Le Chant du Loup

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
  1. The Irishman
  3. Marriage Story
  4. Little Women
  5. Parasite
  6. Ford v Ferrari
  7. 1917
  8. Joker
  9. Avengers: Endgame
  10. The Two Popes

Oct 25, 2017
knives-out-poster-3.jpg

01. Knives Out - WOW. By the end of this rollercoaster of a mystery movie, while Daniel Craig's superb Detective Benoit Blanc is giving us the genre appropriate rundown of how all this happened, I mouthed the words as quietly as possible; This is one of my favorite movies ever. I can't even begin to explain all the amazing ways this movie not only comments on class and society, but in some ways on the murder mystery all together. Rian Johnson is a master at work and I cannot wait to see what he does next.

maxresdefault-e1576744753651.jpg

02. 1917 - I had heard so much about how this movie needed to be seen on the biggest screen possible. So I drove about an hour out of my way to find the only AMC left in my area still playing it in Dolby. It was worth it. Yes, if you really pay attention you can see it's not really a movie with no cuts, but it brings so much to the movie to feel like we are on the journey with them. I legitimately forgot I was sitting in a theatre and watching a movie at times, it was so tense and engrossing. War movies are not really my thing, but this trancends above all that to be a great movie first. If you are turned off by the fact that it feels like the destined Best Picture winner I understand that thought. Ignore it and see this movie.

xJojo-Rabbit.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HoNtX3hn4h.jpg

03. Jojo Rabbit - He made Hitler funny. What else can be said. Okay, so not only is this one of the funniest movies of the year, it might also be the most heartfelt I have seen in a while. Scarlett Johansson reminds everyone why she is a great actor with one of most surprising preformances of the year. Truly a movie of the times, Jojo Rabbit still feels like a weirdly timeless movie, something that will still resonate in 20 years.

parasite-movie-HD-posters-and-stills-6.jpg

04. Parasite - Bong Hoon Ho creates a masterclass about the haves and have-nots that transcends race, country, and even langauge. Some of the most striking moments still work even if you couldn't read the subtitles to understand what anyone is saying. It's also deceptively funny. From moment one I was laughing along with this family of misfits who will try anything to get a little bit ahead. Go in with as little knowledge as possible. It's worth getting over that one inch barrier.

AvengersEG2D_banner-Cropped-920x307.jpg

05. Avengers: Endgame -

little.jpg

06. Little Women -

SPIDER_MAN_FAR_FROM_HOME_(ENGLISH)_banner.jpg

07. Spider-Man: Far From Home -

image_1.png

08. Ready or Not -

rocketman-movie-banner-australia-e1559370530365.jpg

09. Rocketman -

frozen%202.jpg

10. Frozen II -