• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
1. Jojo Rabbit - Wholesome movie, it just feels right. And all the actors in this were awesome, Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) is probably one of the best acted child character I've ever seen.
2. Parasite - One of the best movie I've ever watched, but somehow I don't think I'll remember it as much as I will remember Jojo. Everything about it perfectly constructed to convey the themes. A shame I did not get to see it in theaters, but with the Oscar nom, it'll probably be shown again.
3. 1917 - A great movie too, but not on the level of the above. It's not the movie's fault, but I was never completely immersed in the movie because I kept wondering: Is there a hidden cut there? How did they film this scene? How cool would it be if they had actually prepared all the sets in advance and were simply walking through them? I don't know if I would watch it again, though Georges MacKay's performance is incredible, but I would 100% watch a making-off. My lack of knowledge in movie-making made me thirsty for some explanations on how it was all made.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
2. Once Upon A Timein Hollywood
3. The Irishman
4. Ad Astra
5. Marriage Story
6. Little Women
7. Uncut Gems
8. Queen of Hearts
9. The King
10. A Hidden Life

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Interesting stats so far. The only best picture nominee without a number 1 placement is 1917. I'm definitely sure there were more nominees that didn't get placed that high last year. The non-Best Picture nominee with the most no.1 picks is Lighthouse followed by Knives Out.

Last edited:

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
1. Vitalina Varela
2. Midsommar
3. Uncut Gems
4. Beach Bum
5. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
6. Ad Astra
7. Beanpole
8. The Golden Glove
9. Monos
10. Parasite

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Well getting this down to 10 and ranking them was way harder than it usually was, amazing year for films for sure

1. Parasite
What a weird thing to not only have your favorite film among the nominees win the BP Oscar, but also your favorite film of the year, period. Parasite is pitch perfect and Bong's direction, seamlessly bounding between genres and moods, is impeccable. The film is not subtle but it does't intend to be - it's a bitter cry against capitalism that works much better than it has any right to.

2. The Lighthouse
Perhaps the moodiest film of the 21st century (or at least one of), led by commending roles of Pattinson and Defoe, a throwback to cinema long gone by (with touches of Lovecraft, even if Eggers is vehemently against the comparison). Defoe's monologue is one for the ages.

3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The first watch of OUaTiH is great enough, but it's on subsequent rewatches that I discovered just how delightful and relaxing this film. Everyone expected
the title 'once upon a time' to reflect to 'in the West' or 'in America', while the truth is the film is a fairy tale through and through. A postcard to an era long gone by, it's pretty much the most chill Tarantino film.

4. The Irishman
Here's a curious one, a 3.5 hour long film that feels slow and absolutely absorbing at the same time. While watching the film I felt that majority of scenes weren't really pushing any particular plot forward, while at the same time I can't imagine any of them being removed. It's a film that can only be made by a mature filmmaker like Scorsese, full of self-reflection, devoid of glorification of violence and other vices he was so often accused of.

5. Uncut Gems
One of the most stressful films I've ever watched (the most stressful?), Safdies perfected their craft and delivered an absolutely exhausting nailbiter. Much had been said about Sandler this season and well, deservedly so. Brilliant depiction of gambling addiction, supported by nerve-wracking cinematography and pulsating score.

6. For Sama
Feels weird putting a documentary film on the list, but For Sama destroyed me like films rarely do. I was very cautious approaching the film, but in the end I was just so incredibly moved I can't omit it from a list like this. One scene in particular was one of the most tremendous things I've seen in my life and will stay with me forever - that's enough for me to include it on my list.

7. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Such a pretty film, few works about love-that-couldn't-be are as gorgeous and melancholic as Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Well, they're often are melancholic, but not to this extent. Set on a remote island, devoid of any male characters, the film makes the most of it's (oh-so-gorgeous) setting. Several scenes are particularly hypnotic (bonfire!), but it's one of these films in which it's hard to put it's beauty into words - it has to be experienced.

8. Farewell
Man, I get why Uncut Gems didn't get nominated at Oscars, but this one? Total mystery. Engrossing, touching story about identity that deserved way more recognition than it got. Awkwafina is perfect in this great ode to nostalgia and futile wish of recapturing a fleeting moment in time.

9. Little Women
Oh what a delightful film that was. Unaware of the plot of Little Women, I thought the framing device was brilliant at showing how the characters have changed throughout the years (especially Amy) and that made for a very compelling film. It's such a warm journey, beautifully done, with an impressive set of performances at it's center (again, especially Amy, Florence Pugh was the highlight of the film).

10. Rocketman
I'm kind of squeezing this one in in lieu of Marriage Story, Knives Out and more, but I can't imagine talking about my favorite films of the year without mentioning Rocketman. Everything Bohemian Rhapsody did wrong last year, Rocketman did right (with a superior role at it's center). Right away in the opening scene it sets itself up as a fantasy, rather than straight biopic, and that's it's winning stroke - being a musical fantasy about Elton John. No films this year were quite as entertaining as this one.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I think I have seen most of the films that would qualify for my top 10 so I'm ready to do it. For me it was a year with a lot of quality 8/10 films, but in which very few really really moved me.

1. Avengers Endgame
2. So Long, My Son (people should watch this, it's barely mentioned!!)
3. Portrait of a lady on fire
4. Synonyms
5. The Weasel's Tale
6. I lost my body
7. Pain and glory
8. Parasite
9. Midosmmar
10. Little Woman

(HM: Marriage Story, Les Miserables, Ema, Uncut Gems)

Btw are this voting threads usually this small?

EDIT: Saw Synonyms, winner of Berlin's Golden Bear, and loved it. Reminded me of Toni Erdmann and goes straight into my top 10.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
maNDKoZ.jpg

1. The Lighthouse - After The VVitch, this pretty much cements Robert Eggers as a top director. Black and white was a great choice for this, as it fits the style of the movie perfectly. Same goes for the aspect ratio, as it makes every scene in the cabin more claustrophobic. Combined with Dafoe and Pattinson's stellar performances, it feels like you're going crazy alongside them. Dafoe has a long career under his belt, but I still feel that this was his most impressive work. So that's saying something for a man with decades of experience. There are so many nuances to his character and he really digs in here, with haunting soliloquies full of vivid imagery. After Good Time, Pattinson confirms that he's one of the best young actors active now. I can't believe there are people that still scoff
when he was announced for Batman. If you just watch his recent performances, do you think there's anything this guy can't handle? He's magnificent here as well, selling that descent into madness. This feels like a timeless picture that will be even better on rewatch.

2. Marriage Story - We already got some good output in Netflix' orginals, but this felt like their first truly great picture. Touching, powerful and heartbreaking performances from Driver and Johansson.

3. Ad Astra - For most of the movie, Roy (Brad Pitt) is shown to be cool, in control and calculated. The armor only breaks when his father is involved. Pitt really sells those moments and it's captivating following his journey to his father. There are more reasons to love this movie though. It's beautifully shot and when we're planet-hopping in the first half, it feels like a depressing and deadly road movie in space. This is mostly a character study, but I thought the few action scenes that were included here, were great. A Mad Max chase on the moon, monkeys fighting in space? Who doesn't want to see that?

4. Parasite - Undoubtedly the biggest and most important movie of the year. It feels like this year's Get Out, blending its thriller and dark comedy elements with a good dose of sociopolitical commentary. There's a whole bunch of (visual) metaphors you'll only get or see after a rewatch.

5. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - This has to be one of my favorite Tarantino movies because unlike most of his work, it's not that easily digestible. It still has a lot of his trademark elements, but in lingers in your mind longer than most of his movies. It's a slow burn focusing on two modern cowboys going on their own journey to be worthy protectors of Tate, with the power to rewrite history.

6. Ford vs Ferrari - Not that into cars, so I gave this shot just because of all the positive impressions... Glad I did because it was a big surprise for me. First off the race shots are phenomenal, got sweaty hands just from watching. It's not just the Le Mans scenes, even the test laps are like a rush. Exhilarating car shots that made me feel like old man Ford at the end of his airport lap. Then there's the chemistry between Damon and Bale, the latter in particular was having so much fun with his part. Even the scenes with his kid came off as authentic and avoided being too corny. Soundtrack was ace too, I loved this all the way through.

7. Uncut Gems - The Safdie brothers bring the same nerve-racking vibe that made Good Time so special, only there I feel the snowball-effect was done even better. Adam Sandler is terrific in this though, delivering a character you both loathe and feel sympathy for.

8 Avengers: Endgame - Endgame deserves recognition for not only wrapping up a ten year saga in a very satisfying way, but also being a great movie in its own right. It starts out as very reflective, giving the major players time to pick up the pieces and figure stuff out, while slowly building towards a climax that goes beyond 'member this?' and delivers fan service in the smartest way, with Cap's elevator scene as a great example. The finale feels like a sequence of two page comic spreads, a victory lap for this franchise and a gift to comic fans.

9. Knives Out - The cast for this movie is stacked with renowned actors, yet Ana de Armas eats their lunch with her performance.

10. The Irishman - While I don't think this is Scorsese's best, it does play to his strengths and shows why he's one of the all-time greats.

HM: Midsommar, Long Shot, Booksmart, Us

Btw are this voting threads usually this small?
While goty gets a lot of voters, far less people come out for the movie/music/tv threads, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
1. Under the Silver Lake
2. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
3. Deadwood: The Movie

Still need to watch Parasite and a few others. I know I only I have about a week left but I'll flesh out my post more once I'm done watching those movies.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
1. Parasite
While I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Handmaiden, I am still thrilled this film became the first foreign-language film to win Best Picture. It's funny, it has suspense, and I absolutely need to see it again sometime.

2. Knives Out
Recency bias may be in effect because I just saw it this weekend, but this one has my mind constantly going back to it, like I'm still enjoying its clever mechanisms even days after watching.

3. Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (aka Portrait of a Lady on Fire)
My girlfriend absolutely worships this French film, and I like it quite a bit as well. I like its minimilastic approach which really lets the interaction between its characters take center stage, making for a very intense viewing.

4. Leto
This Russian film is unlikely to make many lists, but I enjoyed the setting (80s Russia) and music so much that I put it ahead of some more well-known productions. If 'Russian rock scene' sounds at all interesting to you, definitely try to see this one.

5. Marriage Story
I wonder whether this one would have challenged Parasite for my top spot if we had watched it in the cinema rather than from the couch. Some great acting performances in this one.

6. Jojo Rabbit
I was skeptical of using Nazi Germany as the setting for a comedy, but I was satisfied with how it handled the horrors of the time. At the same time hilarious but also deep. I do love me some Sam Rockwell.

7. 1917
Very well-made film, and there are not many films that even try to make something worth watching out of the horrors of WWI. Still, in the end I thought it failed to tell a truly interesting story.

8. Little Women
The gap between my number 8 and number 1 is actually not that big, considering I would not argue with you if you thought Little Women belonged at the top spot. It's an emotional ride with good acting, but what ultimately made me drop it down the list was that I didn't think it made too much of a lasting impression.

9. Joker
While making this list I forgot about Joker not once, but twice. Ultimately it's a well-made film with a great performance from Joaquin Phoenix, but neither as brilliant or as horrible as some would have you believe.

Have not watched, but want to see: Ad Astra, Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Uncut Gems, Lighthouse, The Farewell, Dolemite and probably more

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of movies I haven't seen yet, but I'll post what I got so far.

2. The Lighthouse
3. Marriage Story
4. The Irishman
5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
6. Knives Out
7. Parasite
8. Avengers: Endgame
9. Midsommar
10. Joker

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to be able to see absolutely everything I wanted to, but I think I have a pretty solid top 20 list in place right now that I'll post sometime this week.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
every year I saw I wanted to get more new releases in, but I think that goes doubly for this year. just too busy to cross the last few major misses off my list so I'll commit to a list now. 33 total 2019 releases.

1) The Irishman
2) Little Women
3) Transit
4) Her Smell
5) Apollo 11
6) The Farewell
7) Once Upon a Time In... Hollywood
8) The Souvenir
9) Marriage Story
10) Parasite

11) Ad Astra
12) Portrait of a Lady on Fire
13) The Lighthouse
14) Knives Out
15) Booksmart
16) The Report
17) The Dead Don't Die
18) Under the Silver Lake
19) The Beach Bum
20) Ready or Not

21) John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
22) Mister America
23) The Kid Who Would Be King
24) Midsommar
25) High Life
26) Us
27) Happy Death Day 2U
28) Captain Marvel
29) Joker
30) Detective Pikachu
31) Between Two Ferns: The Movie
32) Avengers: Endgame
33) Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Most regret missing: Varda by Agnes, Long Day's Journey Into Night, A Hidden Life, Uncut Gems, Sunset, American Factory, The Nightingale, Dragged Across Concrete, Dark Waters, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, 3 Faces, Pain and Glory, Non-Fiction, Doctor Sleep, High Flying Bird.

Don't mind missing but will probably view at some point for completionism's sake: Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari, Climax, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, the Spider-man one, Brightburn, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Crawl, Velvet Buzzsaw, El Camino, Toy Story 4, Star Wars.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
1. Frozen II
2. Alita: Battle Angel
3. IT Chapter Two
4. Detective Pikachu
5. Parasite
6. Terminator: Dark Fate
7. Joker
8. Toy Story 4
9. Missing Link
10. Unplanned

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Top 10
  1. Parasite - I went into this expecting a horror film. What I got was a thrill ride in human desperation that had me on the edge of my seat the whole way.
  2. Avengers: Endgame - The cinema event of the decade that took me through a decades worth of emotions and fan service. I need time to recoup.
  3. Ready or Not - My surprise movie of the year. I expected a typical horror comedy, but it took the premise of Parasite and flipped the roles instead.
  4. Knives Out - The characters are the highlight of this film and every performance was top notch. How are they gonna do a sequel though?
  5. 1917 - The cinematography made this film what it is. I didn't realize how well the one-shot gimmick would immerse me in a soldier's world.
  6. Joker - My best performance of the year. The villains were always the best thing about Batman films. I'm glad they're getting the spotlight now.
  7. Ford v Ferrari - Rich people being absolute shit seems to be the theme of the year for films in 2019.
  8. Spider-Man: Far From Home - This is my new favorite MCU villain. The illusion sequences are the best thing I've seen from an MCU film in awhile.
  9. Shazam - By far the most entertaining DCEU film yet. Loved how this was basically a superhero remake of Big. Restart the DCEU with this please.
  10. Child's Play - I fully expected to hate this movie for it's changes to Chucky lore, but it delivered a fresh heartfelt take on our friend till the end.
Honorable Mentions:
  • Toy Story 4 - It's not a bad movie at all. In fact, it's quite good, but you had a perfect ending already in 3. Where is this supposed to go now?
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu - I enjoyed it, but this should've been a mainline film instead. You don't need Ryan to make Pokemon successful.
  • It: Chapter 2 - One of my most hyped films this year. It ended up ok. It just didn't have that same magic with these characters all grown up now.
  • Terminator: Dark Fate - They're finally starting to right the ship. It's easily the only Terminator film I've enjoyed since the first 2 with unexpected twists.
  • Alita: Battle Angel - The live action anime eyes are off-putting at first, but I got over it quick. I love this setting and I want to dive into it more.
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters - I go to Godzilla movies to watch giant kaiju fights on a big screen with surround sound. This movie delivered on that.
  • Captain Marvel - Black Widow should've had the honor of the first female-lead MCU film, but I enjoyed this for what it was. Typical MCU fare.
Need to See:
  • The Lighthouse
  • Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  • The Irishman
  • Marriage Story
  • Midsommar
  • Us
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Dolemite Is My Name
  • Rocketman
  • A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood
  • Honey Boy
  • Doctor Sleep
  • Queen & Slim
  • The Two Popes

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to watch a lot more before making this list but alas this will have to do. I'll try and do proper write ups later.

1. Pain and Glory - Almodovar looks back in time to reflect on lost loves and relationships and the art (or trick) of autofiction. Has some of the most beautiful and emotionally searing moments in film this year.
2. Parasite - This film is a lot of fun sure but what sticks with me are its observations on class structures and their impact on people's psyche, how they perpetuate the class divide and individual's self assessment of themselves.
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Lives up to its title and tells a moving tale about Hollywood at the end of its golden era, defying ugly reality
4. Long Day's Journey into the Night - A hypnotic dream-quest for lost love through a desolate small town in China.
5. The Irishman - It is what it is.

Last edited:
1. Little Women - yes, it was reductive (if sort of inevitable, given the tendency to rally around the "most electable" candidate) that the debate about female directors at the 2019 Oscars became mostly about Greta Gerwig, but by the same token, she absolutely should have been nominated. And while we're at it, she should have won Adapted Screenplay, because the screenplay for Little Women is maybe the textbook example to give for a writer taking a canonical text and presenting it with a completely fresh approach that finds new ways to bring out nuances and parallelisms in Louisa May Alcott's writing (as well as paper over some of the cracks, and also incorporate the novel's metatextual history). Brilliantly acted by its ensemble, reaffirming Saoirse Ronan as perhaps the ablest talent of her generation, and capping off Florence Pugh's great 2019.

2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - on the subject of directors overlooked by the Oscars, any forensic analysis of this particular crime scene must begin with the French government's decision not to submit this for the Best International Film category, which ranks up there with South Korea's snubbing of The Handmaiden earlier this decade as instances of governments kneecapping their best bets. Granted, probably nothing was going to beat Parasite this year in the end, but if anything could have, it would have had to be this. Sciamma's previous three films include one that I thought was excellent (Tomboy) and two that had flashes of genius; this portrayal of intense and yet repressed emotion is her masterpiece, aided by two great lead actresses and a genius cinematographer who will hopefully be much in demand in the years to come.

3. Booksmart - And the sistahs keep on doing it for themselves this year. Olivia Wilde closed out 2019 with a much-maligned turn in Clint Eastwood's latest reactionary screed, but before that she had one of the best directorial debuts of recent years. This might not be the best comedy of the decade, but it's probably the best comedy made in something like the mainstream studio style -- if teen movies were still a thing at the box office, one could have imagined this being a mainstream hit. And in the post-Apatow period where such comedies had tended to move away from precise aesthetics and toward a shaggier improv style, Wilde turns out to be an excellent stylist; the movie was already extremely funny, but the pool sequence really made me take notice of its aesthetic qualities. Carrie Fisher may no longer be with us, but Billie Lourd is doing her best to keep her spirit alive.

4. Parasite - Bong Joon-ho managed what Akira Kurosawa, Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, the entire French New Wave, and most recently Alfonso Cuaron could not achieve, and I'm happy he managed to do so with a film where I actually got the hype, after being anywhere from lukewarm to mildly in favour of some of his more recent films to attract international acclaim.

5. Knives Out - Rian Johnson is a director I've always found a bit of a mixed bag; prior to this, the only film of his that I unequivocally loved was 2012's Looper, my second-favourite film of that year. Of late, I was disappointed with The Last Jedi, and then even more disappointed when being disappointed with The Last Jedi became associated with a collection of the absolute worst people on the internet. I was glad to be fully onboard with his latest film, a great murder mystery that contorts itself through several different setups, and largely kept me guessing even when, in retrospect, some elements might have seemed obvious (but that's the sign of expert sleight of hand). Also a good example of how advertising choices can benefit a movie experience, since the ads for this film virtually ignored the actual main character. Evidently this will be a franchise soon, I'm definitely ready for more.

6. The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers' debut The Witch was a bit of historical horror that also functioned as a serious look at the effects of communal isolation and extreme sectarianism within the family; isolation is also a big element of this film, but unlike the previous one, I don't think there's any larger thematic purpose. The Lighthouse is an example of what Stephen King has called storytelling for its own sake, i.e., it just exists to be a spooky story of two guys going insane in a remote lighthouse. And it's just about the best possible version of that, further demonstrating Eggers' aptitude for integrating archaic verbiage without it feeling like a gimmick, and a reminder of what a gem of an actor Willem Dafoe is.

7. Toy Story 4 - the first Toy Story film to not be better than its predecessor, but by now that was an impossibly high bar. What we do get is another film that's interested in interrogating some of the premises of the series, and even some of the morals promoted by previous films in the series, and always with the thoughtfulness characteristic of the franchise.

8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Tarantino's quietest film since Jackie Brown, until suddenly it isn't. A meditation on aging in Hollywood and wondering at your own relevance (clearly a topic on the mind of someone who keeps saying he intends to quit filmmaking in the near future) that seems geared toward a downbeat ending, before consciously shifting gears to become a more stereotypical Tarantino movie and underlining wistfully the fantasy nature of what's served up. Another film with a really thoughtful structure that I only thought better of that more I dwelled on it. Tarantino shot himself needlessly in the foot with his misunderstanding of a Bruce Lee biography, but that's a very minor element in comparison to all the things he gets right. Leonardo DiCaprio taps into his too-infrequently-seen comedic side with great success, particularly in his scenes with the young thespian played by Julia Butters.

9. The Irishman - Scorsese is trying to save cinema, even if the Academy took the opportunity to give him another 0-10 effort for his troubles. Long and methodical, and some of his most devastating depictions of the hollowness that awaits the morally bankrupt in the end.

10. Uncut Gems - Adam Sandler decided it was time for his once-a-decade display of real acting talent, and he found great directors to work with for the occasion.

OP
OP
Kazaam

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Hi everyone! Just a heads up we're almost at the finish line so try to get your watches and lists in time for the deadline.

t1582502400z0.png

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
1. Long Day's Journey Into Night
2. Ash Is Purest White
3. Parasite
4. High Life
5. Pain And Glory
6. The Souvenir
7. The Last Black Man In San Francisco
8. Ad Astra
9. Marriage Story
10. Non-fiction

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Lighthouse - HARK! The dialogue and character driven black comedy/thriller is extremely my shit. The most quotable film in years with a wonderful aesthetic and two of the best working actors around.
2. Marriage Story - Just a near perfect drama, balancing comedy and tragedy fantastically.
3. A Hidden Life - My favourite thing Malick has done transcends it's flaws into something ethereal and beautiful and relevant.
4. Parasite - I don't need to say much more than everyone tense. I brilliant social thriller.
5. High Life - A sexy, bizarre trip that I can't really do just not know how to summarise.
6. Uncut Gems - The Sadies expand on the style of Good Time in a way that remains thrillingly tense even the second time through.
7. The Farewell - Captures the complexity and eccentricities of family while adding a landscape often under represented in modern films.
8. 1917 - The technical showcase of the year just needs to be seen.
9. The Irishman - Classic Scorsese with a final 30 minutes that could of been a perfect capstone to his career.
10. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Pure sexiness. Like CMBYN with all my issues with it refined out.

HM. Ad Astra
HM. Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood

Last edited:

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Still haven't seen everything I want to (specifically The Irishman, The Two Popes, Uncut Gems and Portrait of a Lady on Fire), and I keep shuffling things after the top 4, but here's my list atm since I'm out of time:

1. Parasite
2. Jojo Rabbit
4. Marriage Story
5. Little Women
6. 1917
7. Knives Out
8. Avengers: Endgame
9. Ford vs Ferrari
10. Joker

Honorable mentions: Toy Story 4, Us, The Peanut Butter Falcon, The Lighthouse, Ready or Not, Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
TOP TEN OF 2019

1. Avengers: Endgame

XZrippe.gif

2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
IYMmOEm.gif

3. Parasite
YIC3kCF.gif

4. Marriage Story
oEjdch8.gif

5. Knives Out
Y9ahvZS.gif

6. Booksmart
TfN0a0p.gif

7. The Irishman
GVE7aPI.gif

8. Apollo 11
QHMivRu.jpg

9. The Report
52qp5jY.gif

10. American Factory
de0LpWm.jpg

=======================

11. Little Women
12. Ad Astra
13. Uncut Gems
14. The Lighthouse
15. Joker
16. The Farewell
17. Spider-Man: Far From Home
18. Mike Wallace Is Here
19. Us
20. 1917

=======================

Didn't see in time: Ready or Not, Ford v Ferrari, A Hidden Life, Pain and Glory, many docs

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. Knives Out
2. Ready or Not
3. Frozen 2
4. Midsommar
5. Unicorn Store
6. Parasite
7. The Nightingale
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. The Art of Self Defense
10. Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
1. Jojo Rabbit
2. Parasite
4. Ford v Ferrari
5. The Irishman
6. Joker
7. Avengers: Endgame
8. Captain Marvel

Still quite a few I haven't seen yet, like Knives Out. But Jojo Rabbit is by far my favorite and one of my favorites of the entire decade.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
  1. The Irishman
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Marriage Story
  4. Little Women
  5. Parasite
  6. Knives Out
  7. Ford v Ferrari
  8. 1917
  9. Joker
  10. Avengers: Endgame

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Parasite
  2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. The Farewell
  4. Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood
  5. The Irishman
  6. Marriage Story
  7. Knives Out
  8. John Wick 3: Parabellum
  9. Hustlers
  10. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
  1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - I have been a huge fan of Sciamma's work ever since Water Lilies, and I have been following her religiously throughout the years. Portrait was peak Sciamma, in the best way possible, and seeing it receiving so much love and recognition really makes my heart swell with love and pride. Queer stories deserve to be told, and they don't need the male gaze, and they can be happy ones. Portrait nails that perfectly, with a stellar photography and amazing acting with two actresses far too magnetic & charismatic for my own good.

2. Parasite - This is the anti-capitalist movie we all desperately needed. It doesn't go soft about it, it doesn't shy away from it, and it's not subtle about it. And that's why it resonates with so many people, equally crushed under a system that oppresses & destroys us. Parasite feels like a rallying cry, that one movie we watch, that makes us feel seen and heard. And the one movie that allows us to have a good laugh whenever a billionaire tweets about how much they fucking loved it, totally oblivious to the message it conveys. It was a ride from start to finish, and it was masterfully done. Bong Joon Ho fully deserves the prizes he got for it.

3. 1917 - I was stuck on my seat while watching this one, and would often turn to my SO, looking shocked and bewildered, mouthing "HOW DID THEY DO THAT" to them, repeatedly. The story is pretty straight-forward, and not all that unique or amazing, but what makes it so special is the way it's been shot and edited, it's just so phenomenal! Some scenes are so ethereal, and everything was so seamless and fluid. I'm still amazed thinking about them. Truly a standout movie that deserves to be seen on the bigger screen, in the best conditions possible.

4. Jojo Rabbit - A perfect balance between comedy and drama, nailing both of those things perfectly at the same time, with amazing acting, and quirky characters. A movie about nazis that doesn't glorify them nor their aesthetics, but rightfully ridicule them through and through. A great satire, and a movie that will give you a little bit of hope once it's over.

5. I Lost My Body - Such a unique and interesting movie, beautifully animated, amazing aesthetics, and an ending that stayed with me afterwards. It was overall a pretty sad story, but it still gives me hope somehow? I really appreciated it.

6. Little Women - I never been a huge fan of this book, but this adaptation is certainly stellar. So modern and relevant, amazing acting all throughout, and the photography was so stunning. Watching this movie felt like I was bathing in the sunlight, so warm and bright, such a delight!

7. Marriage Story - Driver & Johansson really carried this movie, and they did it so damn well. I really enjoyed this and was touched by it, and felt reminded of my my relationships with the people I've loved and hold dear to my heart. It probably has been tricky to make such an intimate movie about the nature of relationships before and after a breakup. But this movie absolutely nailed it.

8. Knives Out - I had so much fun watching this, this was pretty fun, with so many twists, some of them great, some other predictable, but overall, a great moment. I enjoyed the light social commentary this movie made, even though they were really subtle, but the political message wasn't lost on me still. I'll happily wait for a sequel!

9. Booksmart - I was that nerd at high school. I wish that movie could have happened to me too. Honestly enjoyed this thoroughly, it was amazing and fun from start to finish, and the kind of girl teen movie I would have loved watching in high school, but still very much enjoyed as an adult woman.

10. Midsommar - It would be a lie to say that this movie lived up to the expectations I had out of it, but it still left a mark on me. Pugh was phenomenal in it, and it was uncanny how the movie managed to describe the level of heterosexual relationships shittiness so many women are trapped in. In that effect, the ending was both absolutely bonkers and totally cathartic as well. Damn I want a pretty flower crown too now!

Last edited:

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Irishman
2. Uncut Gems
3. The Lighthouse
4. Parasite
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Ad Astra
7. Little Women
8. Us
9. Toy Story 4
10. Knives Out

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
1. Little Women
2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
3. Booksmart
4. The Farewell
5. Parasite
6. The Irishman
7. Hustlers
8. Bumblebee
9. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10. The Souvenir

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
does anyone have an opinion on whether The Personal History of David Copperfield should count as a 2019 release or a 2020 release? it technically got a film festival release in 2019 but a wide release in the UK a month ago and won't see one until May in the US. it would absolutely make the top ten of mine this year but i'm in two minds as to whether to include it now or later

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
does anyone have an opinion on whether The Personal History of David Copperfield should count as a 2019 release or a 2020 release? it technically got a film festival release in 2019 but a wide release in the UK a month ago and won't see one until May in the US. it would absolutely make the top ten of mine this year but i'm in two minds as to whether to include it now or later
Hmm... I would count it for 2020. I believe it is wide releases that count.

9. Missing Link
10. Unplanned
nsr.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
1. Monos - Incredible film about child soldiers who are also going through typical teenager issues. From the get go, the language is odd, their tasks are odd, and their interactions gives this a vibe of a different surreal world. In that way, it reminded me of how recontextualised the world was in Dogtooth and The Lobster. The cinematography is breathtaking, almost on the level of Embrace Of The Serpent. It's been compared to Lords of the Flies, Aguirre, and Apocalypse Now, but has its own bucolic/hellish take on war being inescapable strengthened by the ending.

Portrait-of-a-Lady-on-Fire-movie.png

2. Portrait Of A Lady On Fire

"I feel something new. Regret."
"Don't regret. Remember."

Noemie and Adele are stunning, going from suspicion and tension to trust, passion, and regret effortlessly. While lesbian romances on film are abound especially on streaming platforms, Celine Sciamma provides a gentle and respectful eye compared to the exploitative and gratuitous eye in other French films of recent. Unlike the pop-influenced frenzy of her previous film Girlhood, there is only one critical song here and barely any score probably in an effort to focus squarely on the duo's performances. There's something filmic about green dresses that directors are pouncing on as I noticed when I saw Long Day's Journey Into Night, another arthouse film about memories. The climax is stirring and bittersweet, bearing on callbacks and a line of dialogue with the final painting and the final zoom shot into a face's transformation that is bound to be one of the most unforgettable final shots. Don't miss this splendour.

9efe435179b157934b6b13a85866fb64.jpg

3. Parasite
Perfect blend of high-brow metaphorical cinematography, class politics, and satisfying thriller genre exercise of twists. Best ensemble cast of the year. Along with Moonlight, made for rare years where the best nominated films won.

1579026302-screen_shot_2020-01-14_at_10.22.47_am.png

4. Uncut Gems
Brilliant, often laugh out loud hilarious, and anxiety-inducing thrill ride throughout with even fewer moments of respite than the previous Good Time. Characters shouting at each other, the overwhelming Daniel Lopatin music returns, and Adam Sandler's Howard Ratner who's a NY jeweller is just booking it everywhere to get away from his debt collectors.

Adam Sandler is in peak restless mode and though his range isn't as wide as in Punch Drunk Love, this is one of his best performances even if he's an unreliable asshole who deserves MOST of what he's getting. All the other characters telling him to calm down becomes a running gag and it feels like almost a homage to all the other rage monsters he's played before.

Socially and thematically, this is different from previous Safdie joints in the way that it's more about the rich and famous rather than the working class but there's still a lot of class intersection which exemplifies New York City itself. Despite Howard not being a good person, since most of the running screen time is focused on him, I couldn't help but pity and then even root for him. These are all really well realised, lived-in characters and the verisimilitude is so good that just following this Machiavellian world is fascinating.

Safdie bros are 3 for 3 now!

d937ed42965bb55f854ceb19eb539c0bcaebb6e4.gifv

5. Ad Astra
Deeply intimate, beautiful, and humanistic space science fiction focused on the strained relationship between a father and son and taking cues from Apocalypse Now, solidifying the best of what this genre can do. Brad Pitt's character letting go is one of the most poignant and heart-wrenching moments of a film in 2019.

i-lost-my-body-xilam.jpg

6. I Lost My Body
An initially silly and surreal premise gives way to the best animated film of 2019. The magic realism of a disembodied hand going on tiny adventures ends up being more satisfying as a film about loss and subversion of the meet cute between a poor French Arab boy and a punk-looking librarian girl. There are visually poetic moments and my favourite is when the hand is flying via an umbrella and the chaotic traffic's lights make it spin enough to transition to stars and astronaut aspirations. The connection between the hand and the owner and then the separation is sold very vividly, very much like a sentimental pets movie if they focused on the tactile nature of the relationship. There are many shots of Naoufel's hands either holding sand, playing the piano, or in general opening and closing. When the magic of a living hand is given the opportunity to reconnect, the tragic reality is gut-wrenching.

bdf6ce2c-da7b-482e-9158-277f1952194e.sized-1000x1000.jpg

7. The Farewell
Achingly relatable study of family dynamics and structures with the theme of denial around illness. Nora Lum (Awkwafina) and director Lulu Wang deserve way more recognition for their work here.

tumblr_pvvsdnJRtr1ty8mi0o1_500.gifv

8. The Lighthouse
Stunningly shot, darkly funny, horror about boredom with career best performances from Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson which will leave you with unforgettably surreal and haunting images.

giphy.gif

9. Long Day's Journey Into Night
"Living in the past is what's scary, not mudslides."

For fans of slow, sleepy cinema like Andrei Tarkovsky, Lav Diaz, Bela Tarr, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul or even stunning cinematography like Wong Kar Wai films, this sleepy non-linear noir can still be a daunting challenge. Abandon all ye who enter with hopes of coherent plots, character motivations, or continuity. Majority of the shots before the infamous hour-long one-take range from 30s to 5min. Most of the characters aside from the mains are in sleepy states, much like Apichatpong's Cemetery Of Splendour. Going to sleep during this film at a cinema would actually be appropriate since that's what literally happens to the main character at the 79min mark, which leads to the late title drop (as if signifying this is when the film truly begins) and him going into his dream world for the hour-long, surreal and playful odyssey. The non-linearity doesn't help viewing comprehension either, with sometimes the main character being shown at different ages or two characters looking very similar, so you're not sure exactly who you're following now, which is probably why comparisons have been made to another Apichatpong feature, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, and it brought to my mind Last Year At Marienbad, Certified Copy, and 3 Women where character identity is fluid and dream-like.

If there was a more engaging first half, I could fully recommend this trippy, sleepy odyssey to anyone but the film truly wakes up in the second half so bear that in mind. Even if you end up hating it or label it as pretentious, don't sleep on it. Or do, just while you're watching it.

giphy.gif

10. High Life
Claire Denis' psychosexual space science fiction really goes places thanks to Juliette Binoche's mad doctor character which is juxtaposed with Robert Pattinson's sweet-natured fatherhood in the worst of circumstances. Not to be missed if you're a fan of Cronenberg.

Special mentions:
download.jpeg

High Flying Bird
Soderbergh put out this basketball drama with little fanfare but it deserves recognition for its naturalistic dialogue thanks to Tarell Alvin McCraney's razor-sharp screenplay, truth to power in relation to NBA's strained racial politics, and Andre Holland (The Knick, Moonlight) getting to shine all out. His recent efforts have been spotty but this alongside Logan Lucky is his best films since the incredible dilogy Che.

Knives-Out-700x300.jpeg

Knives Out
The most fun film of the year.

Bait
Much like The Lighthouse, this black and white film set in a Cornwall fishing village about gentrification really commits to the silent era with artefacts on the screen and stilted editing for post-synched dialogue. For how much of a Bressonian technical throwback this is, it's very much a contemporary and relevant British story that was rightfully awarded the best debut by BAFTA for Mark Jenkin.

Marriage Story
Despite Laura Dern's distractingly similar character from her role in Big Little Lies, this is Noah Baumbach back on his best form with his panache for dysfunctional, argumentative domesticity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kazaam

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just a few hours left to go before the voting will close.

It depends on you. Wide release dates vary and festival releases count as well.

ShadowG

Oct 27, 2017
1.Parasite : Almost a perfect movie. The way it blends genres into that trademark Bong Joon Hu style is soooo good. The academy made the right choice.
2. The Lighthouse : Dafoe should have been nominated.
3. Jojo Rabbit: great blend of comedy and tragedy. The satire is well done, some of the jokes are great and there is a certain sad moment that got us all.
4. Little Women
6. Knives Out
7. Ad Astra
8. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
9. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
10. Marriage Story

Special mentions : Les Misérables, It Must be Heaven, Midsommar, Toy Story 4

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
1. Parasite
2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
3. Uncut Gems
4. The Irishman
5. Pain and Glory
6. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
7. The Lighthouse
8. The Farewell
9. Knives Out
10. Crawl

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
nI1CHUC.png

1. Parasite - I love this film… Initially showing as a comical tale of a family's attempt to muscle in with the wealthy, 'Parasite' quickly reveals its true intention of highlighting our complicity in the worst aspects of capitalism. It is a brutal and acute look at how far we will go to maintain the status-quo, often without even realising. The cast all bring their characters to life through fantastic performances, reminding us that underneath the film's themes, there lies humanity.

cJ7c6CE.png

2. Midsommar - 'Midsommar' filled me with a sense of unease few other films have given me. The movie delights in ensuring you're never quite comfortable with what is going on and by the end are haunted by all that has happened. Florence Pugh and Jack Reynor are both fantastic in this.

TiMHIMa.jpg

3. Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi's adaption of 'Jojo Rabbit', the story of a young nazi youth (Jojo) breaking away from the nazi propaganda surrounding him, is more comedic and enjoyable than one would expect considering the subject matter. The end result is the best kind of absurd. Scarlett Johannsson had a great year, but what I will remember her most as from 2019 is Jojo's loving, eccentric mother.

4. 1917 - Many movies have shown the horrors of war. Few have hit me as hard as '1917'. The one-shot look of the film is brilliantly done and pulls you in closer to the characters it follows and the atrocities they face.

5. The Lighthouse - Looking for answers from 'The Lighthouse' seems pointless. The movie revels in all its unknowns. Defoe and Pattinson do a brilliant job keeping you gripped on just the two of them and their fleeting sanity for the full duration of the film.

6. I Lost My Body - A severed hand seems an unlikely character to form an emotional attachment to, and yet 'I Lost My Body' somehow manages to pull this off. The trials both the hand and its original body face in this story work to show the ways in which we can both accept and challenge fate. It's often sad but brings with it a needed catharsis.

7. Knives Out - 'Knives Out' has a lot to offer outside of Chris Evan's beautifully knitted sweater, surprisingly. Whilst the murder mystery doesn't take as many twists and turns as I'd have liked, the roads it travels down are still interesting, in large part thanks to its talented cast. Daniel Craig is so much fun!

8. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
- The third John Wick film keeps the momentum of the franchise going. The fight scenes and locales are as beautiful as ever. The characters are as camp and absurd as ever. And the pace is as fast as it needs to be. Keanu and Halle Berry are fantastic as to be expected, however I question anyone not focusing on the beautiful doggos stealing the show in this one.

9. Booksmart - Olivia Wilde's directorial debut is a fun ride through the last days before graduation for two best friends. The naïve but supportive nature of the two leads makes for many funny and heart-warming moments as they finally attempt to connect with their other classmates. Billie Lourd's Gigi is one of the standout characters of 2019, with much of my viewing time spent anticipating her next appearance.

10. Us - 'Us' has the unenviable task of following up director Jordan Peele's 'Get Out'. Whilst I don't think it reaches the same heights, even with Lupita Nyong'o giving a harrowing performance, the film is still fantastic and has me excited for Peele's next work.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Avengers: Endgame
Basically the perfect ending to the MCU as a whole to date, an amazing conclusion to a franchise I really love. I cried like five times. One of the most memorable and awesome movies I've ever enjoyed in a theater

2. Knives Out
Hilarious, twisty, some good subtext and themes, great performances, great direction, I loved everything about this movie

3. Frozen II
SHOW YOURSELF. Queen. Iconic. We have no choice but to stan

4. Parasite
I greatly enjoyed the premise and direction of this film, as well as its class consciousness moral. I wasn't as hot on the overall package as many people are, but it was still very technically well-made

5. Booksmart
This was the funniest movie I've seen in years, and a perfect representation of what it's like to be a teenager

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I personally never count festival releases because there's so often a year or longer in between festival premieres and theatrical releases for many movies.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
2 more hours before the deadline. Get your lists in.
to be clear, are we allowed to add some written thoughts about each film after the deadline or will any such edits invalidate the entries? would love to have some words written for a few of the films but i ran out of time, otherwise i simply just have the numbered list ready to go

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
  1. Parasite
  2. 1917
  3. Little Women
  4. Jojo Rabbit
  5. Marriage Story
  6. Midsommar
  7. High Life
  8. Apollo 11
  9. Knives Out
  10. Klaus

Last edited:
Thoughts can be added after the deadline up to Friday the 28th
OP
OP
Kazaam

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
to be clear, are we allowed to add some written thoughts about each film after the deadline or will any such edits invalidate the entries? would love to have some words written for a few of the films but i ran out of time, otherwise i simply just have the numbered list ready to go
Hmm, I guess adding thoughts doesn't really affect the counting, so I could give a few more days for that. Just don't edit the order after the deadline.
I'll make a thread mark for this post.

!!! You can add thoughts after the voting deadline up to FRIDAY THE 28th OF FEBRUARY! The result thread should be up next weekend! !!!

Oct 25, 2017
1. Parasite

It's stunning how precise the editing and directing is in this movie, and how the actors are able to navigate all of the strange plot and genre twists. Peele's Us can't even compare.

2. Little Women

A wonderful and inventive adaptation that still somehow honors the beloved classic novel. Gerwig is a phenomenal writer and director who does not get the recognition she deserves.

3. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Tarantino laid back and making a "happening" movie along the lines of Jackie Brown. One of his most mature films about days gone by that only gets soured with its Loony Toons hyper-violent and out of place ending.

4. Uncut Gems

Sandler gets to prove yet again that he's a talented performer that walks on an edge between buffoonish camp and self-serious smugness. A slight step down from the Safdie Brothers' previous outing, but great.

5. High Life

Probably the most uncomfortable movie by Denis since Bastards, and another big entry in Pattinson's film career.

6. Marriage Story

Who would have though the voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog would be in an Oscar nominated movie for Best Picture? Less sarcastic and more heartfelt than many other Noah Baumbach movies.

7. Honey Boy

I hope whatever pain Shia LeBeouf has is behind him.

8. Rocketman

This is the movie Bohemian Rhapsody should have been.

Disappointments:

The Lighthouse - its heavy reliance on greek mythos kind of kills a lot of suspense, but it's still a wonderful production.

Late Night - Mindy Kaling is a better writer that this movie would lead you to believe.

El Camino - A poorly paced and unnecessary episode of Breaking Bad.

Movies I didn't see but might have been up there:

Her Smell - Elizabeth Moss is great.

Pain and Glory - Antonio Banderas and Pedro Almodóvar are great.

Ash is the Purest White

The Souvenir

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

The "It's going to be on the list because this is Resetera...." Yikes mention:

Joker - It's such a nothing of a movie and should be renamed "The Clown's New Clothes".

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On mobile and won't be home until after the deadline so I can't write longer entries like I wanted

1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. Uncut Gems
4. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
5. John Wick: Chapter Three
6. Marriage Story
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
8. The Irishman
9. Monos
10. Apollo 11

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2. Parasite
3. Little Women
4. The Farewell
5. The Lighthouse
6. Knives Out
7. Toy Story 4

Deadline crept up on me so I missed a few films including An Elephant Sitting Still which seems like it'd have counted. Will add thoughts later!

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
1. Hustlers

when people speak of award snubs this year none come to my mind moreso than Hustlers, a film that has gone tragically overlooked. whilst buzzing with energy and filled with fun set pieces to rival the best heist movies, there's also an incredible layer of intimacy and genuineness that elevates the whole thing - especially in it's exploration of the complicated dimensions of motherhood between the two leads. occasionally overwrought dialogue didn't stop Hustlers from sticking with me moreso than any other film this past year. criminally underrated doesn't even cut it.

2. Parasite

what begins as a humorous tale of a poor family scamming their way into the lives of a clueless rich family grows brilliantly into an increasingly taut drama. with the advent of a disturbing revelation, the film drives home the extent to which the poor are compelled to fight each other over the scraps of an ignorant and indifferent elite. impeccably directed drama that's full of unbearably tense sequences.

3. Uncut Gems

Adam Sandler perfectly embodies that of a gambling addict who's pushing himself and those around him to the absolute edge for the thrill of the game. no other film this past year can rival the unrelenting tension that builds with each bad decision made, happily beating out the Safdie brothers' also incredibly anxiety inducing Good Time.

4. Marriage Story

a raw examination of a marriage collapsing whilst various parties attempt to take advantage, complicating things even further. as often funny as it is devastating. Driver and Johansson are superb.

5. Little Women

the gorgeously directed tale of Jo March and her three sisters trying to grow into their own ideas of womanhood. Ronan, Pugh and Chalamet are all standout and their interactions are a joy to witness, feeling honest and human. Jo attempting to sell the tale of her life to a befuddled publisher gives the film an intelligible framing device that gives many scenes, especially the ending, a bittersweet potency. a complete joy to watch.

6. Knives Out

an extremely enjoyable twist on a whodunnit that doubles as a scree against the entitlement of a rich elite. the cast are all game, the pace electric and the humour spot on. features the best, most cathartic final shot of any film i've seen in a while. fantastic fun.

7. The Personal History of David Copperfield

Iannucci ditches the relentless profanity but retains the tempo and wit of his other work in this beautiful adaptation of Dickens' novel of the same name. much furore has been made about the colour blind casting from predictable corners of the internet and yet every actor fits their role like a bespoke suit, with Dev Patel filling the titular character with a loving level of earnestness. reminiscent of Gerwig's Little Women in many ways (not least beyond their superficial similarities).

8. The Irishman

De Niro is effective playing the blunt tool of the mob in this gangster epic that ultimately becomes a self-reflective examination of violence.

9. Midsommar

a disturbing horror film about the toxic effects of gaslighting in a relationship. ingenious effects, gorgeous cinematography, and an incredible, gut wrenching performance by Florence Pugh. never necessarily outright 'scary', Midsommar still ends up feeling incredibly effective and memorable all the same.

10. 1917

a visceral and beautiful sensory experience. the long take gimmick provides some brilliant set pieces, such as the dash through an illuminated war-torn town and a desperate final push across a trench front battered by explosions.

-

i ummed and ahhed about the inclusion of David Copperfield but decided to keep it on the basis that it's listed as a 2019 film on both IMDb and Wikipedia. sadly i was unable to catch The Lighthouse or The Farewell in the cinema and Portrait of a Lady on Fire hasn't been released in the UK yet.

here's some honourable mentions:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ad Astra, Avengers Endgame, and Doctor Sleep.

lots of great films this past year.

Last edited: