Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
ResetEra November 2017 Newsletter

Foreword
We are delighted to present ResetEra’s first monthly newsletter! For your convenience this newsletter will collate major developments that have been happening around ResetEra each month. As this is a new venture and we are a new forum, you can expect to see changes in the format as we make adjustments according to your feedback. We want this feature, like all our features, to serve the community as best as possible.

One Month Anniversary
What a difference a month makes! Yes, it was exactly one month ago today that ResetEra first opened its doors to an anxious community, and in that time you've all made this forum feel like home. We couldn't be prouder to share this anniversary with you all, and we're excited for many more to come.

Mod Team Update
We've been making post-launch adjustments to our staff, including the introduction of new moderators who you might have spotted doing their jobs out in the wild already. We are very proud to welcome them to our team. If you missed it, please checkherefor all the details. You will also be able to view ourfull staff roster hereat any time; it will be kept up to date in case of any future changes.

GOTY Voting
We are currently planning our community-driven GOTY voting process for 2017. If you believe you have talents that might be useful for this effort, and are interested in lending a hand, please PM me, SweetNicole with the title: “GOTY Volunteer”. Voting will likely begin around Christmas.

The 20k Post Limit
As many of you may already know, it is currently our policy that when a thread reaches 20,000 posts it ought to be locked and a new thread made to replace it. On other forums this represents a technical limitation, but here on ResetEra we do it to avoid OP stagnation and encourage fresh blood. However, we have now decided to make an exception for OTs in Hangouts that already refresh on a weekly or monthly basis.

In short, from now on threads in Hangouts are no longer bound by thread length limits, as long as the community chooses to make a new thread a minimum of once a month.

To be clear, this is an option we are offering to threads that already refresh weekly or monthly. If that does not describe your community, you can ignore this.

Verification Program
Our verification program has now been fully implemented! If you see a poster with “Verafied” in their profile you'll know that the staff has confirmed their identity. For more information, including how to become verified yourself, please seethis postfor more.

Game Industry Q&A
Plans are being made for our Game Industry Q&A. Please readthis post for more details. We hope to be able to announce the final name of the program and our first guests soon.

New Game Releases
The month of November has seen the release of quite a few major titles, and we'd like to take an opportunity to highlight the interest they have generated within the community. You can find their impressive OTs here:
New System
November also saw the release of new hardware into the gaming world: the Xbox One X. We’d like to congratulate the team at Xbox for a successful console launch! Already an energized community has sprung up around the Xbox One X, and you can join them here.

Community Spotlights

In case you missed them, we had the following Video Game Community Spotlights this past month:
We also had the following the following Etcetera Community Spotlights this past month:
Community Events
This section of the newsletter is set aside for Community Events. Please note that any events mentioned here are not officially sponsored, organized by, or affiliated with ResetEra, LLC or the site staff. These are community run and community operated. We cannot police these events, but we'd like to acknowledge the hard work and camaraderie of the community.

If you’re going to be heading to the PlayStation Experience 2017 (PSX), there is a thread with planning details, including a meetup for ResetEra members which in the words of the organizers “includes normal gamers, developers, and even bigger names sometimes joining us”.You can check out the thread for additional details.

Thread Of The Month
Each month we intend to highlight a “thread of the month” from the website. In the future we plan to accept submissions for suggestions, but this month we have decided to highlight the Defend Net Neutrality thread. It is impossible to overstate the importance of this issue. This site, and the very internet itself, will never be the same without Net Neutrality. Please read the thread and consider taking action.

Feedback
How did you like this newsletter? Are there things you would like to see included in future ones? What sort of changes should we make to improve the fomat? Please sound off in the replies to this thread.

This concludes the November Newsletter. Thanks for being the best community on the internet. Let's have a great December!

Oct 25, 2017
Once a month refresh sounds a bit overkill, unless I am mistaking how this works.

Thanks for the newsletter format.

Fat4all

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
bork land
In the world of doggos, many puppers were had and borks were made.

When asked to comment, local dachshund had this to say,

"Someone dropped some Steak umms on the floor, fuck yeah."

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Once a month refresh sounds a bit overkill, unless I am mistaking how this works.

This applies to communities that already do monthly or weekly OTs. You are not required to use that format, this just saves them the trouble of making multiple OTs every month.

As I understand it, the limit is 20,000 posts, unless the thread is like the comics OT that changes each month by default.
Yup.

malyse

Community Resetter

Agreed. I could get behind once bimonthly or once a quarter, but monthly is way too often.
Good job staff and communities

I think it is so that dragon ball super doesn't change threads like, each two weeks lol
This applies to communities that already do monthly or weekly OTs. You are not required to use that format, this just saves them the trouble of making multiple OTs every month.

Yup.
That makes more sense.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good job staff and communities

I think it is so that dragon ball super doesn't change threads like, each two weeks lol
Edit: looks like I was mistaken

Oct 25, 2017
Good newsletter. It can be hard to keep up with the forum sometimes and I think you guys have done a good job highlighting different threads.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Seems that this should be given to a thread that wasn't stickied at some point during the month - since any thread that was stickied already got extra attention, and giving the Thread of the Month to a thread that was stickied kind of comes off selectist.
No offense meant.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Seems that this should be given to a thread that wasn't stickied at some point during the month - since any thread that was stickied already got extra attention, and giving the Thread of the Month to a thread that was stickied kind of comes off selectist.
No offense meant.
Yes. That is what it will be in future months. Ideally, we want to do user submissions for it, and there was not the time to set that up prior so we decided to use it to highlight NN instead.

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
No offense meant.
Likely in most months it would be but this is a very special situation and the entire fate of the internet (which Era depends on) is at stake.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love how the forum has evolved over the past month.

I wouldn't have imagined how quickly & successfully this place got off the ground.

Thanks to all involved (both site operators and members) for making ResetEra a quality destination for gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to highlight major release OTs and communities I think we should do something special to identify an indie community of the month that may be getting overlooked, etc. More_Badass could help!

I like the positive attitude of the newsletter and I think that should continue with a spotlight for something positive a developer or community has done each month. i.e. gamers rallying and donating for natural disaster reliefs or the pub who recently is donating 75% of their share of a games profit to a developers sick son. Let's work to improve the image of gamers and the industry.

I love the newsletter though, fun idea!

Oct 26, 2017
With this beard, I feel like the hero of a movie who just got found drinking himself to death in a shack before someone needed help.

Can I be verified as Jeff Bridges?

Oct 25, 2017
I like this newsletter! And I love how much this community has gotten done in such little time!

Now that some restrictions have been lifted, I should put in for an OT spotlight. Is that still a thing? I forget where to put in for it...

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like the month-end summary of the Spotlight threads in case someone misses the half the week a topic gets posted that interests them.

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like it’s been longer than a month. I’ve enjoyed my time with you all very much and look forward to many anniversaries to come.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Is something wrong here? I mean 4 Weeks, 4 Threads makes sense, but I know that for one week my Cities Skylines OT was the Spotlight (Wasn't it the very first one? Not mentioned here :/).
I'm not sure how cities got missed. I added y'all to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.