ResetEra November 2017 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
www.killerrin.com
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I think the newsletter idea should be a nice change of pace and allow much more communication than the black box inner workings of the old site. Good job!

Also a question about the 20,000/Refresh policy. While it won't affect me since I likely won't be making any communities THAT popular. There are some communities where they naturally reset quarterly like the generic Seasonal Anime/TV communities. Would exemptions be allowed to stretch to those types of communities as well?

The reason I ask is because these kinds of communities have their OTs setup to be primarily informational using information that wont change unless there is an extreme circumstance (things get cancelled mid-season or airing times change, ect) and it wouldn't make sense to have them say be forced to create a new thread if they've only got say half a month to a month left before the new one is scheduled to go up

I really love the idea of monthly newsletters, and it's off to a great start!

My only real feedback so far is that I'd like there to be at least one "featured" section that's expanded a bit? Maybe a brief recap of some recent event or situation and links to related threads, something like that. (Kind of tempted to volunteer to help out.)

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Oct 27, 2017
Seems that this should be given to a thread that wasn't stickied at some point during the month - since any thread that was stickied already got extra attention, and giving the Thread of the Month to a thread that was stickied kind of comes off selectist.
No offense meant.
Was spelt wrong too.

ThERAd of the Month.
Also I thinking I won that by making a thread that received zero responses.

Oct 27, 2017
Good newsletter! Enjoyed reading it and it's a fantastic summation of recent developments. Looking forward to the next one!

Also being alerted to important community notations like this in the forum software is great. Would have missed this otherwise.

One month anniversary! Congrats, Era! Many more to come for sure. Advocating for net neutrality - wouldn't expect anything less.

I am abroad now (in Ethiopia with spotty Internet) but l still find myself logging in and posting - was just in thread regarding Election-meddling/Trump/Russia/Democrats, etc. and l really enjoyed the conversation. I felt like l could express myself and my opinion without being attacked and dog piled; unlike the previous forum. Era has been awesome. I love the conversation, the transparency with moderation, and l like that ppl seem to be more tolerant of others' opinions. In other words, l don't feel like l'll be banned here due to personal vendettas (yes, l know for a fact that I've been banned for political reasons twice on the old forum - l won't disclose who l spoke to who confirmed this to maintain his privacy) but l know that won't be an issue here. I really like how mods and Admins engage the community, let us know when posts have been moderated, and go all out to keep us informed and make the forum run so smoothly.

Anyways, is 5:01a here and l'm about to go to bed after an amazing night of partying with friends celebrating a mutual friend's wedding here in Addis. I'm super tipsy (not drunk!) but I like to think I am coherent regardless lol. In bed, about to crash, but had to sing praises for Era. So much better than the old space.

Thanks for creating this space and making this happpen!

Night everyone. Til 'neger' (2mrw in Amharic lol)

Dehna ederachu (Goodnight to you all)

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
twitter.com
It would be kind of neat if we could receive this monthly newsletter by email as well. However, I understand if it's not possible or too resource-draining. There's just something special about receiving newsletters by mail, I dunno :)

I think the OP could use more pictures for that newsletter feel. Boxarts, Verified logo, etc.
Oh, also this!

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you to era for being my new home base on the internet. It’s everything that I wished the old place to be but done right. And a special thank you to all of you that made this happen. What you have created is simply astonishing.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I think the newsletter idea should be a nice change of pace and allow much more communication than the black box inner workings of the old site. Good job!

Also a question about the 20,000/Refresh policy. While it won't affect me since I likely won't be making any communities THAT popular. There are some communities where they naturally reset quarterly like the generic Seasonal Anime/TV communities. Would exemptions be allowed to stretch to those types of communities as well?

The reason I ask is because these kinds of communities have their OTs setup to be primarily informational using information that wont change unless there is an extreme circumstance (things get cancelled mid-season or airing times change, ect) and it wouldn't make sense to have them say be forced to create a new thread if they've only got say half a month to a month left before the new one is scheduled to go up
We would probably evaluate that on a case by case basis. Feel free to contact me directly should the need arise.

Oct 26, 2017
Great idea for a Newsletter, very informative and open.

Only thing I'd like to see improved with the site (if it's even a site problem) that typing with SwiftKey on Android doesn't often do abbreviations well when autofilling words.

I'll type "it's good" and it'll fill it in as "it' g". Weird little issue that isn't impossible to work around, but it does make the posting experience a bit harder.

Oct 25, 2017
There are many things to love about ResetEra, but the commitment to new ideas and listening to feedback has to be one of the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Lovely initiative! It's pretty good how you highlighted some interesting threads. I'd like to ask two things though.

Maybe it was just me being old fashioned, but when you talked about a Newsletter I genuinely thought of an e-mail sent to registered members. Have you considered that option? It could give even more exposure to some news.

Second, have you thought of adding some banners? Images with "News of the month" or "Spotlight" could make the thread more inviting as users probably stop reading after a certain amount of text. I'm no expert but I could help with that if you think it's a good idea.

Anyways, fantastic work! You're really engaging with the community to the point that I wonder if it's maybe too much work for just one Community Manager, but you make it look so easy!

Oct 25, 2017
When this forum first started I didn’t think it would be the type of place to spotlight a Funkopop OT.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Oct 25, 2017
Great ideas. Thanks so much to the team for all its effort and for being so communicative with the community here.

Really looking forward to seeing what else comes along as the momentum builds :)

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Lovely initiative! It's pretty good how you highlighted some interesting threads. I'd like to ask two things though.

Maybe it was just me being old fashioned, but when you talked about a Newsletter I genuinely thought of an e-mail sent to registered members. Have you considered that option? It could give even more exposure to some news.

Second, have you thought of adding some banners? Images with "News of the month" or "Spotlight" could make the thread more inviting as users probably stop reading after a certain amount of text. I'm no expert but I could help with that if you think it's a good idea.

Anyways, fantastic work! You're really engaging with the community to the point that I wonder if it's maybe too much work for just one Community Manager, but you make it look so easy!
We have a limited e-mail quota. Sending emails to 33000+ members would impact our quota for things like password resets or new registrations.

Banners are something we will likely look at adding in the future when we finalize the formatting.

Oct 25, 2017
We have a limited e-mail quota. Sending emails to 33000+ members would impact our quota for things like password resets or new registrations.

Banners are something we will likely look at adding in the future when we finalize the formatting.
I see, thanks for answering. Keep the good work!

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update! I like the idea of a newsletter, especially as the site grows and any potential issues sprout with the updating the forum.

Is there any way to increase the post character limit? I had to spread the Art Help thread OT over 2 posts because the limit is 30k characters right now.

Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Wow, it doesn't feel like a month has passed already but congrats ya'll. :)

Wonder what the news letter will look like in July. After E3 and all. It's gonna be fun!

Oct 25, 2017
These newsletters are a really good idea. Resetera moves so fast it's difficult to keep up so having a small summary of things like this comes in handy.

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate you guys following through on the promise of community interaction and administrative visibility since launch. Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.