• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 29, 2018
understandable

I love this game so much and it's my way to bond with my nephew. I will most likely stay on the old world and start to explore the new one
Sorry to be a downer, but that Wikipedia page is a whole lot of nothing. David Jaffe calling us rude? A quote tweet from the Octopath Traveler account? The Mario Golf Aces box art seen days early? My resume has more notable achievements than those listed in this article. This will be deleted or redirected.
yeah.

and what major devs even post here regularly? GAF had that rep but it was certainly waning in the years prior to everyone coming here, and the handful of devs who do or did post here were either banned, left because they didn't want to deal with the mess, or work on mobile games.

it probably deserves a page truth be told but the previous decision to delete made sense. "Registered Users" is a joke statistic given the immense number of bans and alts that the site attracts.
Surely the basic fact that it's one of the largest internet forums for gaming is enough to warrant a Wikipedia page (even if the numbers are bloated)? Like, I've absolutely seen absolutely trash Wikipedia pages that are about smaller sites and lesser known people stick around for years, their articles being 3-4 paragraphs at best.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine my excitement when i CTRL + F "John" and find one result only to be extremely brought back to earth when i read the rest of the name

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Every time someone says something negative about the other place it's always just people pointing fingers at themselves.

"That place sucks" Says anonymous person on a platform known of its own share of negativity because of users like them.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less about Era having a Wikipedia entry. But it's kinda whack to argue Era is not notable, but in 2021 NeoGAF is. I guess the argument for the latter would be based purely on its historial importance, but other than that, it's hard to defend.

Last edited:

Zalera

Mar 26, 2021
lmao @ the jaffe part.

GAF was a lot of fun in the 00s but I'd say Era has a more welcoming/friendly atmosphere. Always felt like the other place was a bit more elitist.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inappropriate language, usage of ableist slur
It's kinda whack to argue Era is not notable, but in 2020 NeoGAF is.
Nah, GAF is even less notable than Era, but because the rightards "conquered" it has much more value in their eyes than other similar sites.

...you know we are in 2021, Mivey ?

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
It was so creepy how much rent-free headspace Era takes in some people's minds. Came across so much hate on Twitter when I was trying to find info on the site outage.

I've been told by people in Twitch streams I watch that Era is the worst place for discussing video games ever on the Internet or some shit. Because some rando on Twitch knows this place better than me, who has used this site for years đŸ™„

The hate Era gets is ridiculous and shows just how bad the larger gaming community online is. The idea of a message board with actual moderation standards has people frothing at the mouth.

I tend to avoid mentioning Era or linking to it when I'm on Twitch for that reason alone.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have nothing really to comment on whether or not the article is worth it but it is funny that the person who flagged it as potentially not notable enough is a pro lifer. lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It was so creepy how much rent-free headspace Era takes in some people's minds. Came across so much hate on Twitter when I was trying to find info on the site outage.
Entire internet communities and movements have been created because people are salty about being given a ban/timeout here or on old NeoGAF. Even now I think people take getting banned, even temporarily, extremely personally. It's like it snaps something in their brain. It's just an internet forum and people get extremely heated from being banned or warned or whatever, like who cares? Just move on with your life.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
It seems the video game side of this forum is something else. Someday i'm gonna read it.

Someday.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
" The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. "

I looked up Wikipedia: Notability (web) and what it defines as "trivial coverage":
The content itself has been the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the site itself. This criterion includes reliable published works in all forms, such as newspaper articles, magazine articles, books, television documentaries, websites, and published reports by consumer watchdog organizations[SUP][4][/SUP] except for media re-prints of press releases and advertising for the content or site[SUP][5][/SUP] or trivial coverage, such as a brief summary of the nature of the content or the publication of Internet addresses and site, newspaper articles that simply report the times at which such content is updated or made available, or the content descriptions in directories or online stores.

I dunno why this site's article was tagged for lacking significant coverage. Nothing in the guidelines states a specific line between "significant" and "trivial", other than that some external source must "significantly" cover it. That kind of vagueness can be used maliciously (e.g. moving goalposts arbitrarily so that coverage never meets standards).

Some games were announced on this site. And this site's creation was covered by mainstream gaming sites. How are those two facts not considered "significant"?

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Haha, same.

Apparently you get banned here for even mentioning an Xbox game or praising Microsoft, oh and you get banned for praising Sony and Nintendo too according to other people.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered in the last few days how hated
The irony of this is that those people are making resetera more relevant by writing or making videos about how toxic we are and how much they hate this site.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone. It looks like some folks are trying to delete ResetEra's article again. Feels like people with power and political bias are trying to do everything they can to get it removed asap without breaking the rules.

How do other forums, say Wikipedia's own wt.social, manage to keep their own articles? The only thing notable about that site is that it was created by Wikipedia's owner, but that's it. Nothing else has made the site stand out since its creation, yet it still has its own article.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. It looks like some folks are trying to delete ResetEra's article again. Feels like people with power and political bias are trying to do everything they can to get it removed asap without breaking the rules.

How do other forums, say Wikipedia's own wt.social, manage to keep their own articles? The only thing notable about that site is that it was created by Wikipedia's owner, but that's it. Nothing else has made the site stand out since its creation, yet it still has its own article.

The article lacks a solid assertion of notability.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
H0zspxt.png

I chuckled. Fuck that guy.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
To be fair. Wikipedia moderators have a hard-on for deleting anything that doesn't fit their narrow definition of what's relevant. Like they've deleted pages about popularized and historical events to do with the Royal family just because it didn't fit in with their definition of history.

The moderators are also heavily white male oriented as such, any attempt to write articles about relevant women's topics, or about minority history or events ends up getting those pages deleted because again, it doesn't seem "relevant" to them.

It's actually a pretty bad problem. Just putting aside the argument of if ResetEra deserves an article.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The article lacks a solid assertion of notability.

Like I said earlier in this thread, notability can mean anything really. And it can be abused by moving goalposts.

I'm assuming that Gamasutra has an article because it's written for and browsed by game developers. But game devs and execs participate in discussions and browse this site too. If a game developer has replied here then it can be used in a research paper, no? Looking past age comparisons, what makes Gamasutra different and worthy of having an article if this site doesn't?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said earlier in this thread, notability can mean anything really. And it can be abused by moving goalposts.

I'm assuming that Gamasutra has an article because it's written for and browsed by game developers. But game devs and execs participate in discussions and browse this site too. If a game developer has replied here then it can be used in a research paper, no? Looking past age comparisons, what makes Gamasutra different and worthy of having an article if this site doesn't?
The fact that you'd compare ResetERA with Gamasutra is a bit wild. There is no comparison as far as actual industry participation goes.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that you'd compare ResetERA with Gamasutra is a bit wild. There is no comparison as far as actual industry participation goes.

Yeah it is wild. But I made the comparison because both this site and Gamasutra both have scholarly value. A developer's posts on this site are just as valid a source as an article on Gamasutra.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Who the fuck is pitiful enough to be really focusing on taking down a wiki page about this fucking forum all day? LMAO

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it is wild. But I made the comparison because both this site and Gamasutra both have scholarly value. A developer's posts on this site are just as valid a source as an article on Gamasutra.
Most developers don't last long here - there really isn't any significant presence, is there? Seems like most of the notable industry people get banned or chased off by toxicity.
I mean, gamasutra is not even in the top 25k sites on the web. Era is at 3,100. It's a small site in comparison, to be honest. Era is significantly more popular than Giant Bomb, Destructoid, Silicon Era, etc. as well.
Discussion about games and off topic stuff by non-industry people isn't really relevant to the discussion. Gamasutra is smaller, but full of actual industry people writing stuff and doing post mortems, etc.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's so far one keep for the ResetEra Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/ResetEra (2nd nomination) - Wikipedia

Keep I'm the editor who tried to resuscitate this article. I'm hearing two main arguments. One is the weight in the article as it exists regarding the site's creation, the other about notability.

If we remove the references that are about the split (which is not what I suggest as the formation of the site was notable) we'd remove about nine citations. We'd still have 20 citations from mostly WP:VG/RS, plenty for even the most entry-level stub, that discuss the impact this website has on the industry. Of course I'm going to argue the article should remain. :) Am I correct in understanding that is an option still? I've taken the opportunity to edit out large parts of the article that are in this vein - about the sites creation and unreferenced claims - as an example of what it could look like if we decide it should remain (I'm leaving the Criticism section but I would agree that's weakly sourced. I don't want to appear to be trying something improper).

In that regard, a merge is less than ideal. While a discussion for another day, I feel it would be awkward to have the newer successor be a footnote to the now less popular progenitor. I know notability and RS restrict us here, but if it comes to that, and I truly hope it does not, I would rather, begrudgingly, recommend a deletion. To the nominator's comment about the culture wars, while we're not here to right great wrongs, we shouldn't also kowtow to disruption or difficulty in our work here.

There is a sociopolitical element to the interest in this website that continues to stir up trouble I feel compelled to mention. Take a look at the talk page, recent reverted edits, and my request to protect the page. Very WP:IDONTLIKEIT. I don't know how organized this is, but there's a consistent pressure to delete this article, not out of upholding the principles of Wikipedia, but out of a strong bias and deeply unhealthy desire to see the site discredited. I don't know how much that weighs into the discussion here, but I feel like it's an elephant worth mentioning. To be clear, I'm not accusing everyone who is commenting to delete/merge of this bias, but that it exists in a sizable amount of recent participation around this article. Ckoerner (talk) 14:56, 16 April 2021 (UTC)

Oct 25, 2017

The article you linked is not exactly the best-made article, is the thing. It doesn't do much to establish notability. But this is an argument usually frowned upon on Wikipedia, the notion being that "this has an article, so this other thing should have one too." Here is the relevant essay on the matter. The issue is, there is so little to ResetEra, notability wise. Game industry people having accounts is really not that significant. Some of the examples are unsourced, while others are poorly sourced. The criticism section is poorly sourced and should be completely axed, and "users pointed out leaks on ResetEra" isn't a sign of notability, because leaks occur on all kinds of websites. It's not uniquely relevant to ResetEra.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I've never understood why Jaffe gets so many threads here, when he's an irrelevant hack that at best has made 1 decent game, 20 years ago. So it's fitting he gets featured on the Wiki entry.

Forever linked, like Batman and Two-face.

Dec 2, 2017
Resetera has been at the helm of many toxic harassment campaigns against developers, development studios, publishers or otherwise people that they deemed "bad". You will probably ask for sourcing, which is difficult because these toxic actions always gain traction within the environment, then are executed on other platforms like Twitter. That shouldn't keep it from being mentioned, though.

Resetera has strong fascists leanings, openly expressing about changing the judicial system in favor or a court of public opinion. Relentlessly and without empathy nor mercy ruining the lives of those they chose as "having a wrong opinion". This extremist attitude should absolutely be expressed in any article about this community. There should be enough people that can add much, much more severe criticism to what I already mentioned. They're also pro-censorship, demanding any changes to topics in games they find uncomfortable. And last but not least their extreme hypocrisy where sexualizing female characters gets you banned, but threads about sexualized male characters are tolerated.

Thats a lot to unpack from one angry person.