• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe in the 4 years (FUCK its been THAT long?) I've been on this site I never really thought about who owns (rather owned now I guess) it...

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The staff will retain total independence when it comes to moderation and the day-to-day management of the site. That independence will be held as absolutely sacred, in the same way that editorial independence is treated at journalistic publications.

I'll be surprised if this "total independence" lasts for more than about five minutes.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
M O B A Network : acquires ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forums

M.O.B.A. Network has today acquired ResetEra.com, one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands, which has great growth potential. With the acquisition, M.O.B.A. Network's portfolio expands its reach globally with approximately 60 million page views per month.​
ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.​
ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022 while maintaining an EBITDA margin.​
With ResetEra.com, M.O.B.A. Network gets a strong, global community brand and access to a very active discussion forum with over 45 million forum posts and about 55,000 members. The discussion topics on ResetEra.com are broad and cover all kinds of games and platforms such as consoles, PC, and mobile games, which expands the M.O.B.A. Network's position in the gaming industry. ResetEra.com's core values are "inclusivity and diversity," and the community sets high demands for approving membership. The core values and the high membership requirements are also essential to M.O.B.A. Network.​
The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.​
"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."​
"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.​
Westerlund Law has acted as advisor to M.O.B.A. Network in the transaction. Waugh Grant PLLC and WeBrokr LLC have acted as advisors to the seller.​
This disclosure contains information that M.O.B.A Network AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation (EU nr 596/2014). The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person, on 14-10-2021 07:00 CET.​

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fucking GUTTED.

...Resetera is only worth 4.55 million?!! We were worth BILLIONS!! Robbed!

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022 while maintaining an EBITDA margin.

Can't wait to see the "Sponsored Threads" and "Promoted Posts" this will inevitably bring.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Please pay to remove ads from the site, the money goes solely to admin costs I swear!"

$4.5 million later.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Gonna sleep on it but sounds like this might be it for me. Doesn't sound like a terribly safe space for minorities

And I hope the mods got a piece of that bag but kinda doubt it. They deserve it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
aint gonna tell ya how ta spend ya money Cdawg, but some gifts to lafamilia and crew are always appreciated, volunteers or no...

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
As long as MOBA Network running sites for games developed by Blizzard and Riot won't get in the way of this place talking about their awful studio cultures...
....sheesh. Hope everyone has a plan for the next potential exodus. Dont want to lose this community. Warts and all, theres no other place like it in gaming discourse.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This news is both unfortunate and extremely hilarious in an ironic way. Seen enough forum buyouts to know where this is headed.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Not much! It'll mainly just be someone else keeping the lights on. There will be no imposed changes to the rules or to the staff. Members will not have to change how they post. B-Dubs has agreed to stay on as general manager. At the staff's request, and with the new owners' permission, I will continue to make myself available as a consultant in case they ever believe I can be helpful.
Once you sell, unless that's part of the contract, you can't guarantee this at all.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, the timing of my Spencer's Gifts thread was pretty good for being something I thought of randomly one morning and posting with little afterthought.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Wow. MOBA Network bought the site for 4.5 million bucks. I didn't think it was worth that much since it's just a forum. Wonder why so much tho? Is it cuz our data is worth selling?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I, for one, welcome our new Swedish overlords.

4.5m, hard to see that kind of value in it, but clearly there is. Embracer to buy MOBA network next.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bummed that the new owners won't also take ownership of the moderation team to improve the system and increase accountability.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have no reason to believe that you would sell to someone who wants to change the site and what it stands for. Congrats. :)

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine corporate ownership benefiting a community founded on open discussion, to be perfectly honest.

While I'm sympathetic to why Cerium needs/wants to pass the site over (congrats btw), my gut reaction is that this probably won't pan out well in the longterm. Corporate is corporate, after all. Hope I'm wrong.

O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy.

"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."

"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.

None of that sounds great.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Congrats Cerium. Hopefully everything works out well.

DOTA2 was always my favourite game, honest.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
M O B A Network : acquires ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forums

M.O.B.A. Network has today acquired ResetEra.com, one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands, which has great growth potential. With the acquisition, M.O.B.A. Network's portfolio expands its reach globally with approximately 60 million page views per month.​
ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.​
ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022 while maintaining an EBITDA margin.​
With ResetEra.com, M.O.B.A. Network gets a strong, global community brand and access to a very active discussion forum with over 45 million forum posts and about 55,000 members. The discussion topics on ResetEra.com are broad and cover all kinds of games and platforms such as consoles, PC, and mobile games, which expands the M.O.B.A. Network's position in the gaming industry. ResetEra.com's core values are "inclusivity and diversity," and the community sets high demands for approving membership. The core values and the high membership requirements are also essential to M.O.B.A. Network.​
The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.​
"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."​
"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.​
Westerlund Law has acted as advisor to M.O.B.A. Network in the transaction. Waugh Grant PLLC and WeBrokr LLC have acted as advisors to the seller.​
This disclosure contains information that M.O.B.A Network AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation (EU nr 596/2014). The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person, on 14-10-2021 07:00 CET.​
Well that was a depressing read. When this go south someone pm the new cool place I guess.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Seeing that cool 4.5 milly amount going straight into the boss' pockets after all these posts from mods about the sleepless nights and the gig being a thankless effort really is something lmao

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being a volunteer to something worth millions…

Congrats to the owner and the new owners. Smart investments all around for them.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think that the owner of neogaf sexually assaulting someone eventually led to a payout of 4.5 million dollars.

oh-no-you-didnt-pout.gif

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Also lol at selling the site for 4.5 millions but still keeping the mods volunteers.

Sure is ironic coming from a community that is always so vocal about bad working conditions in the industry.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Mmm, how do the mods feel about this... I know I wouldn't be happy giving my time for free to something worth millions but that's me.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
All rise for ERA's new anthem.

youtu.be

Darude - Sandstorm

DID YOU KNOW DARUDE STREAMS ON TWITCH?Watch live streams on https://Twitch.tv/Darude !‘IN DA STUDIO’Music production - Mondays (Schedule TBA)- Darude live st...

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
While I thought we were going to become a part of Playstation Studios, I believe this will work alright.

Oct 28, 2017
Hope this works out for the best

Gotta say, my main experience with such a sale was disappointing, when the owner of winteriscoming.net sold the site to some media company.

They tried to turn a small, community-driven Game of Thrones fansite into some big thing aimed at the general GoT audience, and the result was just a ton of lackluster content that nobody in the original community was interested in (to the point that the original team ended up leaving and founding watchersonthewall.com, which is still going strong)

Fingers crossed

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also lol at selling the site for 4.5 millions but still keeping the mods volunteers.

Sure is ironic coming from a community that is always so vocal about bad working conditions in the industry.

Yeah lmao

Imagine working for free and seeing the place you helped build getting sold for 4.5 million dollars lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.