• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Full post is great but I wanted to highlight this as it is without a doubt the absolute worst aspect of this forum and community, and this thread is indicative of that. A lot of people here seem to let their blind hate for capitalism, corporations and 'the man' supersede empathy and common decency towards others, which is pretty ironic if you ask me. It's okay to be healthily skeptical but it's too often taken to the absolute extreme here.

Not everything you disagree with has malicious intent, conspiracy or lies behind it. Jesus Christ.
I think there's a difference between being critical of an admin that sold a forum to a company that profits off of games by toxic games during a time where there's a valid discussion about whether we need to promote these companies and being critical about mods. I think there are valid reasons to be concerned about the former while being respectful to those who had nothing to do with the decision.
Can confirm

Especially the bolded

Nope, they're right actually.

Bold of you to assume we're dealing with adults :)

Yup

<3

Everyone in this thread needs to read this, honestly.
I don't think that adding fuel to the fire in a thread where it seems the staff is trying to calm things down helps things. Just my two cents.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MOBA is a Swedish company, they need to comply to GDPR, even for non-eu members.

So, if the users want to be sure their data is completely scrubbed, they have to request a GDPR conform account deletion
gdpr.eu

Everything you need to know about the "Right to be forgotten" - GDPR.eu

Also known as the right to erasure, the GDPR gives individuals the right to ask organizations to delete their personal data. But organizations don’t always have to do it....
is that possible right now?

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Cerium was an opportunist from the beginning. It shouldn't have taken the site's sale to an online gaming business to really expose that.

Will even a small portion of the sale proceeds only he receives be donated or go towards the causes that the community supports? If no, why not?

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
You should pity mods for the way you treat them, not because they do not get paid.

I love this forum but I do not envy the position of anyone trying to moderate it. It's slightly cynical to show so much concern for volunteers not getting paid when you've made a blood-sport out of painting them in as fucked-up of a light as possible to hurt them.

I respect anyone's right to not want their data shared with, or accessible to, whichever entity, but try not to burn the house down on your way out while crying about how much you love it because no one's buying that crap.

"We want mods to be paid!"

Mod: "Don't worry guys, your data will be protected"

"We don't believe you!" (in a dozen meme formats) "How I do I delete my account?"

So much for respect huh?

Best of luck of to the team, grats on the sale. I'll be hanging around here as long the new owners remain true to their word.

I'm going to try to do something most Era members have never done. I'm going to trust something a mod said instead of trying to make their life a living hell.

There have been multiple instances of the mods showing their ass and then pretending they're the victim for being a shithead, and then other shit head mods banning users/defending the first shithead mod.
Some users are shitty and take pleasure in making the mods feel bad, yes.
but this insane mod attitude of "we're above it all" while forming little private cliques and carrying grudges and showing favoritism is also shitty.

There's a power discrepancy between "I'm mad and can't do anything about it except rant" and "I hope this person does anything that I can use to justify banning them"

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"Pay the mods, pay the mods!!!!111!!"

>proceeds to bash mods at every given opportunity

y'all ain't fucking slick
There's more than a single person posting on Era, so it's likely different groups of people saying these things.

Also, I don't think it's contradictory to simultaneously think mods should be paid (they should) and that they eff things up sometimes (wtf at the SalesEra fiasco, why does this exact same thing happen repeatedly).

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Perfect time to leave this corporate owned website, with it's community-destroying mod staff and join famiboards.com and installbaseforum.com

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Oh wow, I remember Hecht . Crazy how he disappeared right after the site went live and no one ever heard from him again.
You mean Cerium, right? At least Hecht actually spoke with me back in the community feedback thread about people getting banned. At least I've actually seen Hecht in a few threads. @Hect has been here far more than Cerium.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So those paying Era Gold...still gonna do it? Lol.

I dont mind the ads to be honest so never found a need to pay. What once started as a joke became true but now Era isn't independent. Feels like what happens to some kickstarters.

I'm gonna stick around and hope nothing changes though I think to be safe everyone should join the Era Discord. (Need to find it myself)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

I don't know, but it should have been possible for EU users from the point that GDPR was implemented. Even non-EU sites have to be GDPR compliant if they have EU visitors (or they need to block EU visitors when they don't want to implement GDPR rules.)

Now that they are a Swedish site, they need to be GDPR compliant for all visitors of this site.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Just asking generally, but do mods usually get paid?

I always thought it was one of those "no but they should" situations. It absolutely blows that some dude gets to run off with the big bag of bills, but there is like no other way I saw that going down lol 🙄
They usually don't

at least it was that way when I was on staff. I never saw a dime, but I also didn't care about money.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My two cents about this, is that I didn't really care that much about which invisible owners owned the site at the time (I barely remember Cerium or the others from GAF), so it's hard for me to get worked up that some company I've never heard of taking ownership is setting a dangerous precedent. It just seems kind of melodramatic to me.

I'm also not likely to jump ship to boards about jerking off to sales for billion dollar corporations, or fanboy boards dedicated to said corporations so eh

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As a minority member of the mod team, who was present during those initial conversations and expressed a desire to keep this position volunteer (a position I personally maintain), I want to say that the extent to which tensions on the site sometimes make things feel bad, money would not have made them feel better.

Speaking for myself, but I never signed up for this for the money, out of concern for money, or with any future intentions on the money Era generated. Call me foolish, but it was never about the money, nor would money have made anything easier.

Sep 14, 2018

I always thought it was one of those "no but they should" situations. It absolutely blows that some dude gets to run off with the big bag of bills, but there is like no other way I saw that going down lol 🙄
Community Managers get paid but I think they also do social media stuff and press stuff(?).

I hope the new owners were aware that the site has been bleeding users and communities for a while now before they bought it 🤭
They must be really insignificant for a payout like this.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, mods are generally unpaid. I don't even know if paid mods would necessarily be an improvement, but it is a choice to aggressively monetize a forum so that it generates revenue far in excess of what's necessary to keep the site running. Totally different situation from having unpaid volunteer mods on a project that is not profit-driven.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think is extremely hilarious that they managed to sell a graveyard at such a premium price

Gc9VGQO.png
Big oof energy.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to stand in the way of mods going for pay if they want it but I also won't pretend for a minute that collecting pay will make mods happier or more willing to take abuse from some members.

Mods should re-evaluate their commitments and attachments to this site either way. The testimonials speak for themselves, and it doesn't sound very healthy. But paying employees of a company is essential, in good times and bad. Stop giving big companies your work for free.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Leaving my personal thoughts on some of the discussion here.

I understand some of the concerns regarding staying a volunteer when a private company is investing for obvious reasons. I value my work, in general in life, in everything I do. Yes, I love money, but you know what I love more? My time and peace of mind. I can tell you I'm far from the most active mod, team is full of really really passionate people that are every single day caring about keeping this place in the best shape possible and I can't come close to match their quality and quantity of work they put, but even then, I do feel some times how stressful it is, specially when there are some issues boiling up. Part of me feels that these type of stuff is paid-worth, but at the same time... I feel that it isn't. I already have to deal with IRL stress, coming from work-work, personal life, waking up at 3AM to tell the cat to shut up, the mere act of living in latin america, etc. You may then think that if this is a paid job I can replace work-work stress for this maybe, and that's a fair point, but personally I don't know if I'd do it. The first reason I took being a mod is the fact that I like this place. I like coming in here to be part of the community, personally, turning this into a job would just suck the soul out of me. I feel that if I'm contractually obligated to do this the stress would be worse, not better. I have 0 pressure right now, I can take days off whenever I want, I can say "I don't want to be online" and just not be online. The team is the most respectful group of people I know, specially in regards to this, and still does an amazing job.

I appreciate the concerns some people leave here regarding our well being and being, well, appreciated accordingly for what we do, but honestly staying this independent is, for me, worth it. I don't think everything a human being does has to be done for monetary profit, money is a way we can come into terms easily on value so we don't have to dwell in subjectives like time and happyness. But in this case, the subjectives made all the difference. The care the staff puts for one another, the freedom we give each other, etc. It comes with its downsides, as everything in life, but the positives outweight the negatives by a lot. For me, at least. The negatives actually comes from how the internet operates nowadays. The way negativity just floods conversations, how toxic some people become online, and ERA is not an exception to that. I appreciate the lot of people of ERA, who I think it's probably the majority, that tries their best to stay away from that, but the negativity still permeates our site. I am glad I am able to contribute to this site while being able to say "LATER NERDS" if I feel the need to. I don't want to end like mods of social media sites.

Now, can't lie, the thought of doing it for a company does feel differently, but only time will tell. I am a positive person (or I like to think I am), and I think things will stay this way or even, why not, be better. All I can hope is that the community and company both realize and appreciate the work the team puts to hold this place together.
Thanks for posting this.

If people care, simply, be a bit kinder to one another FFS.

It's not hard! Not everything needs to be an argument! Not everyone is evil and out to get you! Everyone who posts on this site just another person like you!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ngl, kinda terrified of the day soon coming when all emails are allowed to sign up, no amount of moderation will be able to handle that, pretty much a hell scenario

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Era: "pay your mods"

Also Era: "mods should be in tune with their communities and understand all the nuances thereof, and not be beholden to corporate interests, and should not be robotically following the ToS but should instead work organically, and also if I am mad at them I should be allowed to dogpile and attack them and aggressively demand they resign, and..."

Y'all are tripping if you think paid mods will give you what you what you want as a community or as a user.

I don't think that adding fuel to the fire in a thread where it seems the staff is trying to calm things down helps things. Just my two cents.
Lol please. Spare me your faux concern, especially as you're one of those people always in these threads stirring drama.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

GDPR applies to any organisation operating within the EU, as well as any organisations outside of the EU which offer goods or services to customers or businesses in the EU. That ultimately means that almost every major corporation in the world needs a GDPR compliance strategy.

Basically, yes.

www.zdnet.com

What is GDPR? Everything you need to know about the new general data protection regulations

General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, is here. Here's what it means, how it impacts individuals and businesses - and how to ensure compliance.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised moderators aren't positioning themselves for compensation after this sale. If the forum is worth 4.5 million to a corporation, the work you're doing now isn't for the community. It's for the company's profit margins. They should be compensated for the work they're doing since this forum's goals have shifted from community building to profit building, you don't spend that much money to not make money from it.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Engaging with this thread, but to be clear I am not commenting on the sale except to say that I believe Cerium did his due diligence, and I do not believe much will change going forward.

Yes, that is the original list of ResetEra staff. To be clear, I have never had an ownership stake in ResetEra. I cannot speak for others on the original admin team.

That was never the official logo from what I remember, but that was one of the mocks that were created when we were trying to figure out branding.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

To think of it another way, what other kind of multi-million dollar asset would be grown and maintained by volunteers so the owner can sell for personal profit at a later stage?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised moderators aren't positioning themselves for compensation after this sale. If the forum is worth 4.5 million to a corporation, the work you're doing now isn't for the community. It's for the company's profit margins. They should be compensated for the work they're doing since this forum's goals have shifted from community building to profit building, you don't spend that much money to not make money from it.
They never signed up to get paid or get an equity stake. Simple. They knew what they signed up for.

The mods aren't stupid. I doubt they are shocked at these events.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Said it better than all the times I have tried to express the same.

I firmly believe, though, that most of the burden lies on the administration who failed to put the right safeguards in place to avoid the development of the toxic Era culture. It's a hard and thankless job, but the policies bred a lot more problems that could have been avoided if they moderated against the right things. Namely, drive-by and reactionary posts instead of anyone who doesn't submit to the forum groupthink.

I completely agree, truly some of the absolute biggest problems to this place long term. And to me a very very obvious one, that somehow no one seemed to care to fix. It's been extremely frustrating for so long now, as I know this community can be better. Especially after seeing this sale now though, I wonder where the direction of the admin team came actually from.

Definitely an assumption, but I can't help but feel as though that at a certain point it all could have been a play for something like this. Once again, discussion doesn't actually matter. We just have to keep it looking like a pristine safe-haven until a sale goes through.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Thanks for posting this.

If people care, simply, be a bit kinder to one another FFS.

It's not hard! Not everything needs to be an argument! Not everyone is evil and out to get you! Everyone who posts on this site just another person like you!
It was a pretty big eye opener for me when the site finally launched and within days there were already heated discussions and anger about whatever. I always thought because of how things played out and the new forum was born, we (all Era users) would have become somewhat of a close group and talked nice and fought less. I guess it was me being incredibly naive but I always thought we deserved better from our fellow members. And it never got better from there. Luckily there are nice people still around, but the constant arguing and nit picking is something that continues to slowly drive me away.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit further?

I'm curious as to your analysis regarding your opinion of the valuation and what you mean by "interesting" growth potential.

Thank you very much!
Well, we know a few things:
-Majority control sale
-4.5M valuation
-Paid in cash
-6.5x revenue multiple
-80% EBITDA margin

Now, the cash part is normal, but the other components are a little unusual put together. To begin with, this valuation is *extremely* small, among the smallest I've ever seen get announced. It's penny change. It's virtually nothing, and confirms what I had guessed when no one else I know in the gaming corporate finance world had heard of Era. The fact that they settled for that vs trying to raise, say, a seed round (4.5M would be a high-ish pre-seed valuation in this market, which would be a very easy raise normally with those operating metrics), which would have still retained control, is pretty eyebrow raising.

It gets moreso when you consider a)the meh/lower end revenue multiple alongside the b)high EBITDA margin. Now, normally, that's a pretty good EBITDA margin. In fact, having EBITDA at all for a company this small is a little unusual. So why then the low-ish multiple? Why the majority sale and control loss?

My guess is *heavily* stagnant growth prospects, an owner who just wants to cash out ASAP, or, more likely, both. It is, in my professional opinion as a tech/media M&A banker who does some venture work on the side, pretty silly.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this can't be good news. At best things will remain the same. Until things actually change, nothing has changed. But it just seems like a matter of time. Eventually and inevitably, in the aim of growth, I expect they'll either change something about this site that will mess things up, or they'll close it down because they can't figure it out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't been a mod in years, but when I was asked to be a mod way back in the early days of the forum, not once was the concept of pay even discussed, and I didn't even consider it. I did it because I cared about helping build the community and wanted to help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.