• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect to see some users and mods (and ex-mods) get defensive over people saying that mods should be paid. Very strange to call people 'hypocrites' for saying moderators should be compensated even though they…aren't nice enough to them I guess? It is possible to simultaneously believe that the moderation staff has done a poor job with this community but that they also deserve to be compensated considering their volunteer work helped a man cash out $4.5MM from a video game forum.

Bizarre. This "actually, it's the users who are in the wrong and they should go away if they have an issue" attitude is exactly what has created so much drama in the past and pushed several communities away. It creates an Us VS Them where the mods are valiantly holding the line against a horde of unappreciative and disruptive users. It's not a recipe for a successful community.

Some of the posts in this thread admonishing "hypocritical users" are so bizarre. You can really feel how much disdain these posters have for the community at large. I have no idea why you would devote so much time and energy to a community where you don't even like the people who are a part of it.

This.

I want mods to be paid because they deserve it.

But I also want mods to do better because too many mistakes have been made.

The two aren't exclusive.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people have some points about mods encountering vitriol if they were given a payout. It's unfortunate but true. It's also true that if a mod wants to keep things voluntary, yeah sure that's their choice and I could see how they could get there.

I think the bigger problem is, as times have advanced, mods have become more naturally prevalent and important in today's age, and their value needs to be reassessed. This old "mods just do it cause they do it" mantra is tired and open to massive exploitations and personal issues. This is not just in Era. Reddit, GameFAQs, ect. We should be long past the point of million, multi-million, or even billion dollar sites being effectively run by uncompensated workers, in the end almost taking advantage of their love for a community to a certain extent. It doesn't have to be strictly money, but there needs to be some sort of movement that leads mods into some form of fairly standard compensation.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
How was sales era censored or what controversy happened?

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

I don't mean to call you or anyone on the mod team stupid. But if you have a question, why not reach out to us for information on why someone might have been reported and treated with ire? I understand moderating is hard, I am not trying to say "well its easy, we can all see it clear as day"...

Also, the post from Nephente closing the thread the first time is amazing:

Post in thread 'Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST]' https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...6-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/post-73874461

When things started to bleed out of the sales thread they silenced people, threads were closed and the original thread became a graveyard.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
8w0Ih3G.gif

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Respect to the mods who have a thankless job and bust their asses for this site without pay and under constant abuse. There's still so many great posters and discussions here for me to bounce immediately, and I want to do my part to keep the community a great place to visit.

But there's no reason to trust the new corporate overlords, no matter what they've promised vis a vis maintaining the integrity of this place.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Considering the size v margins, I'd've expected closer to at *least* 10x for a valuation of 7M and a series of raises as to not dilute ownership that much. It's the multiple and the sale together which is funny.
Like, just yesterday I ran into a woman randomly in some backyard pitch event who was raising 6.5M for minority of some dime-a-dozen short film. People can get funding super easy these days, especially if they're generating consistent revenue with good margins. Well, unless…

Gotcha!

Greatly appreciate your insight!

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well...erm...hmmm. Okay. Capitalism. Gotta love it.

Is the new owner going to just change things gradually then? Is the look of the forum going to change then? Since M.O.B.A are the owners of Union for Gamers, are they going to start changing the forum around that community then? I know in the OP some of this is addressed but I don't believe the answers. Sorry. Too cynical.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

I don't mean to call you or anyone on the mod team stupid. But if you have a question, why not reach out to us for information on why someone might have been reported and treated with ire? I understand moderating is hard, I am not trying to say "well its easy, we can all see it clear as day"...
That sucked, but it gave us Install Base. An infinitely better forum for sales discussion.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is fucking nuts. Imagine comparing real slave labour to willingly modding a forum. Some of you folks are so incredibly transparent. As I said before, always the same shit in this threads.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when we all moved over from GAF there was a real sense of it being a community rebuilding a forum to get away from a shitty owner.
But really it just put money into another person's pocket.

After reading the thread here, I know that a lot of the mods are happy with not being paid.
But with 700k a year coming in as income with a 80% profit margin. That makes me uncomfortable that they're not.

It's them that make the community not the owner.
To me they were a rent seeking landlord that I wasn't aware of.

I feel the same way about Reddit not paying moderators.
To my personal values, it's exploitative.

But I don't know where else I'd go.
Communities are splitting off to be topic specific like a Nintendo forum, Xbox Forum, PC forum and a game sales forum feels like it misses the advantage of ERA.
That it's a mixed group of people that all like video games coming together to chat.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if it were me I'd send some money to mods as thanks for their efforts throughout the years. Could easily attribute $500,000 minimum to their efforts.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking nuts. Imagine comparing real slave labour to willingly modding a forum. Some of you folks are so incredibly transparent. As I said before, always the same shit in this threads.

Check their join date and post count; they know what they're doing here.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The slavery comparison is dumb and offensive, but it's also a bit grim that the owner of this site has just collected millions of dollars while moderators 'work' for free and admins have been left to make their own arrangements. For a community that leans as left at this one does, that sticks in my craw.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not reading all 42 pages, stopped at 15.

Grats to Cerium on the payout.

Hopefully the shift cuts through some of ossification in the culture.

Also random thoughts from my skimming of the first 15 pages:
1) I see that the mods here, despite my run-ins with them, are visibly mistreated by the userbase and heckled and jeered for their missteps against the userbase. The relationship between mods-users being basically antagonistic has been an issue going back to GAF, hopefully this changes.
1a) The sudden "think of the mods!" outpouring reeks of crocodile tears. You're unhappy and you want to vent, fine, but have the guts to not hide behind a "moral" cause you don't actually support at all times; this is one of the most persistent issues with this community, the leveraging of morality when it is rhetorically convenient, then the abandoning of them when it is inconvenient.
1b) Era moderation is on a volunteer basis. This is not like some non-profits where the humanitarian mission extracts uncompensated labor from volunteers with moral pressure. Each moderator can, and often did, step down at any time if it got too hot for them, and even reintegrate into the community as an unprivileged user. That they didn't choose to presumably implies they thought it was worth it.
2) The financial value of the site has been an open secret since the GAF days. If you followed Evilore's escapades, or talked to some of the old guard, you'd know multi-million dollar offers (for GAF) have been turned down for years, much to the staffs' chagrin who constantly told Evil to "get that bag". I imagine a similar dynamic played out here. The perception of 'aw shucks we're just a fan run community who do things at cost' is a fantasy users told themselves to sleep better at night. It has never been true (except maybe circa 2004); it just doesn't make sense financially.
3) The worries about 'data selling' are overblown for one simple reason: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It's been 2 years since the EU disrupted every site in the world with its GDPR requirements and Sweden is a GDPR nation. Arguably your data is safer now under Swedish ownership than under GoDaddy.

TL;DR:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like it's the same folks making ridiculous hyperbolic statements and comparisons and then turning around and wondering why the community is so toxic and dramatic.

Is it that hard to keep things in perspective? I should start a forum where people have to affirm before every post they write that they understand we're on a niche, dying type of website on an obscure corner of the internet.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when we all moved over from GAF there was a real sense of it being a community rebuilding a forum to get away from a shitty owner.
But really it just put money into another person's pocket.

After reading the thread here, I know that a lot of the mods are happy with not being paid.
But with 700k a year coming in as income with a 80% profit margin. That makes me uncomfortable that they're not.

It's them that make the community not the owner.
To me they were a rent seeking landlord that I wasn't aware of.

But I don't know where else I'd go.
Communities are splitting off to be topic specific like a Nintendo forum, Xbox Forum, PC forum and a game sales forum feels like it misses the advantage of ERA.
That it's a mixed group of people that all like video games coming together to chat.
There is an opportunity here for someone to promise a new safe place and exploit everyone and sell the website for 4.5 million

Who is gonna step up and start the cycle again

collect data

sell data

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't blame Cerium for getting a payout. He bankrolled the site and co-owned it until he bought the other co-owners out. He took a financial risk and reaped a financial reward. That's how these things work. He wasn't a dictator or some such figure. I have my thoughts on mod payments, but it's not really my place to say? Like many have posted here, they weren't in it for the money.

Overall very skeptical of the change in ownership in general. I'm familiar with the MOBA network from their league sites, but not super in tune to how they run things. As with all buyouts, things will change, to say anything else is corporate fluff. But the degree and direction of change are unknown and I don't see a reason to pass judgment before I see it. It's like not I bought 3yrs of ERA Clear or anything.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how posters who never even post on this forum are coming out of the woodwork to call it dead after this, strangeeeeeeee

The equivalent of a sad hate watcher on twitch streams

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Would you? If it were me I'd have left a stickied thread titled "Sayonara suckers", lol. At least he showed some restraint before laughing all the way to the bank.
I mean he introduced the forum to everyone in 2017 with "Everything we do begins and ends with the community" and then sold it to the highest bidding corporation 4 years later. The mods all continue to speak highly of him despite what's happening so I have to presume he's not some kind of villainous manipulator seeking to make bank off the effort and good intentions of others, despite what it looks like.

But it'd be nice to hear the explanation of why with the communities interests in mind he gradually took more and more ownership for himself before seeking a corporate sale.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Oh right lol. I remember him and that thread.

Thing is. No one wants to do the work.

Discords are generally free for example. But Discords are fundamentally different than forums.
I can't be the only one amused by the irony of people being so disgusted with the idea of Cerium profiting off of the ResetEra community, suggesting we move to Discord, a for-profit company doing essentially the same thing as Cerium at 1000x the scale.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017

Reddit is a bit more complicated because anyone can make a subreddit and make themselves a mod. And even if that subreddit gets big that still wasn't like.. a 'hiring' of a mod at any point, it was just this person using reddit to create a community and then that subreddit getting popular.

If reddit started paying mods it would probably have a pretty adverse effect on community creation and the current freedom subreddit communities have to ban whoever they want for whatever rules that subreddit chooses to have.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I get it, but this is definitely disappointing and seems like it goes against the spirit the place was built on.

To be honest, it's the moderation that's created the environment that I come for, and though I understand it's been imperfect, it's the best and most progressive place for this medium right now. As long as the mods and their policies stay the same - and keep trying to work towards building inclusivity - and there isn't a mass exodus of the people who contribute - I'll stick around, but I'm not super enthusiastic about some random company suddenly holding the reigns. Cerium's statements about them being in the background seem completely at odds with the comany's stated goals in those news pieces, and given he has 1 post in this thread I don't imagine we're going to get any more clarity than that.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
GAF is still around and pretty active. Even if there was another exodus (there won't be) this still would have been worth it for them. They bought a brand, not just a forum. You're replaceable. Others will sign up and join.

Funny you say that considering both GAF and Era have been in continuous decline for years in terms of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.