• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're too kind R2!
I've absolutely enjoyed geeking out with so many people here. I sorta understand the big reaction in this thread but this was always a fun place (mostly) to mess around and waste time with cool internet peeps.

I hate that I'm so cynical that I really never saw this going any other way. People behave "very obviously" when big money is on the table.
Of course it would be sold, these big popular things always are regardless what industry or product you own.
Fuck no the wealth would not be shared, how often is it? :(
I know, it just makes me feel kinda empty when I think about stuff like this. I truly don't get why when there is such substantial amounts of money involved it can't be shared. Hell even if they only got a few grand each as a gesture, there would still be millions left.

Anyway, I won't push this idea further, it's not up to me to decide, I just know how it makes me feel.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to openly know everyone in the staffs pov on this, because most of what I've read is either:
1. Full, unwavering support.
2. The feeling of being backstabbed.

Mostly, the fact that ERA was borne out of a desire for transparency, but the fishing for a company was literally done behind closed doors, will tell you everything you need to know about what managment feels about the community.

I feel bad for whoever poured their time, heart and soul to this project. Honestly, I'm just here (as I've been since GamingAge) for the random comment every now and then. It affects me nothing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Prime example: you

Your lack of self-awareness is hysterical, though.

And here's another example. Not paying attention to the thread and just jumping to nasty conclusions based on nothing.

FWIW, I don't think this part is true at least. I for one appreciate the work you did back then and I think it did have some long-term impact in how it cultivated the communities, even if you may not see it.
It was just a random post on the page... no context given, etc. But apparently it was nasty for me to read it as it was stated. Not sure why you're so argumentative with others in here. This forum has tools to put that type of info up for all to see, you know this as you were a previous mod. If you think anyone jumping into the thread and just saw that post out of the blue without scrolling through all previous pages first wouldn't feel the same, then I guess that's on me.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cerium and.....eh....that is it I think.
scrooge-donald-duck.gif

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Well, we know a few things:
-Majority control sale
-4.5M valuation
-Paid in cash
-6.5x revenue multiple
-80% EBITDA margin

Now, the cash part is normal, but the other components are a little unusual put together. To begin with, this valuation is *extremely* small, among the smallest I've ever seen get announced. It's penny change. It's virtually nothing, and confirms what I had guessed when no one else I know in the gaming corporate finance world had heard of Era. The fact that they settled for that vs trying to raise, say, a seed round (4.5M would be a high-ish pre-seed valuation in this market, which would be a very easy raise normally with those operating metrics), which would have still retained control, is pretty eyebrow raising.

It gets moreso when you consider a)the meh/lower end revenue multiple alongside the b)high EBITDA margin. Now, normally, that's a pretty good EBITDA margin. In fact, having EBITDA at all for a company this small is a little unusual. So why then the low-ish multiple? Why the majority sale and control loss?

My guess is *heavily* stagnant growth prospects, an owner who just wants to cash out ASAP, or, more likely, both. It is, in my professional opinion as a tech/media M&A banker who does some venture work on the side, pretty silly.

Thank you very much for this response! I kinda figured that was what you originally meant, but I just wanted some more clarity.

In your professional opinion -- absent what appears to be a fairly significant discount for the stagnant-to-declining growth prospects -- do you have a sense of what the valuation or revenue multiple SHOULD have been given the 80% EBITDA margin?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Mostly, the fact that ERA was borne out of a desire for transparency, but the fishing for a company was literally done behind closed doors, will tell you everything you need to know about what managment feels about the community.
"Transparency" really means different things to different people huh.
Transparency as it was promised is basically what you get with the warning/ban banners telling you why a user got banned and for how long, which didn't exist on the old site before that (and isn't something I've ever even seen on any forum before). It has nothing to do with how the site operates financially or logistically behind the scenes and I don't know how people deluded themselves into thinking the two things were related.

It was just a random post on the page... no context given, etc. But apparently it was nasty for me to read it as it was stated. Not sure why you're so argumentative with others in here. This forum has tools to put that type of info up for all to see, you know this as you were a previous mod. If you think anyone jumping into the thread and just saw that post out of the blue without scrolling through all previous pages first wouldn't feel the same, then I guess that's on me.
In other words: yes, it actually is your fault for not reading the thread and posting your insulting, sneering hot take anyway. Who knew? Like, if that happens you could just at least edit/apologize like an adult instead of tripling down. Just a thought.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
All the people in this thread feigning care for staff make me angry and genuinely deeply sad. Same with the performative 'pay the mods' righteousness, especially in the context of the incredibly hostile and accusatory tone this thread has taken.

I was a moderator during the first year of this site. I didn't do it to get paid. I knew it was a volunteer position. I did it because I cared for this place, because I wanted to create a place where people like me could safely engage. I put all the energy I had into this place. I stepped down before the end of the year because of the incredible toll it took on my mental health. A large part of that toll was the community and its hostility toward anything and everything the mod team did - something I feel only got worse in the couple years since I left. This community is constantly hostile, accusing staff of conspiracies and malice, attacking staff at every opportunity it gets. It really hurt when I saw people from the community I was part of, the community I joined the team for, retreating to their Discord to accuse staff of all sorts of things.

I don't really have the energy or mental coherence at the moment to type up any more than this. My anger and sadness are eating up whatever energy I have left after a busy day at work. I'll just quote FiFi's post for more insight.

💖

I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.

Oct 26, 2017
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo
I voiced concerns about how this site was setup and who owns it back when Era was founded. My direct reply from Cerium:

Hi Vincent. We won't have all the answers until we consult legal counsel, but I can say with confidence that the only thing on our minds these past few days was getting a new home ready for the community as soon as possible. We have spent zero time thinking about monetization; indeed we've spent little time on sleep or food. Please know that our love for this community is real. I did not spend hours upon hours designing OTs because I expected to one day reap financial reward

I know things change, but....I expected this outcome would eventually come.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really take any "assurances" MOBA is giving the mod team seriously. This happens all the time with buyouts. The buyer try to soothe concerns during and shortly after the sale and then a year or two later, those "assurances" are suddenly null and void. MOBA made clear in that press release that engagement and revenue is paramount to them, and if mod actions interfere with that, then heads are going to butt.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think every kind of work should be paid, but if mods prefer to keep it voluntary, we have to respect their choice. As long as it's a choice, which it seems to be.

I also think it's important to know that, while the money wouldn't make anything easier, at the very least it's a reward for spending time, effort, and frankly at the expense of their mental health. I might disagree with some of their decisions, but I don't envy their job and I would never be able to do it. Never.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to say right now. Still processing the whole thing. For now, I guess I'll keep an eye and see how things go. I don't doubt the staff believes they'll have freedom. I just don't trust MOBA Network.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All i'm saying is that the mods aren't innocent little babies in being absolutely awful in some circumstances that have eroded the trust from some users.

I dont engage with any of this sites drama because I dont see why I would ever want to get invested.

I don't think you understand what hypocrisy is, or have any self-awareness, because if you did, you wouldn't have written those two paragraphs back to back.

It's very likely that those posting that the mods should be paid and being shitty to mods are different. They can also be the same because those are not conflicting ideas.

This is incredibly disingenuous and in poor faith. I didn't have to reach a quarter of the pages on this thread to realize the pattern that I was seeing. If mods had been paid a share of the buyout people would be outraged that they're getting any money at all and if you can't see through this most thinly veiled of disingenuous "financial concern" I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's not my place, but I can't help but feel that if the mods were paid a wage the vitriol they are already subjected to would be multiplied x100. The feeling of entitlement would be through the roof. "You're getting paid and this is how you treat the community?!"

Part of me wonders if maybe some ownership stake rather than a wage would be a better arrangement. Not talking about just this site, but moderated forums in general.

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Transparency" really means different things to different people huh.
Transparency as it was promised is basically what you get with the warning/ban banners telling you why a user got banned and for how long, which didn't exist on the old site before that (and isn't something I've ever even seen on any forum before). It has nothing to do with how the site operates financially or logistically behind the scenes and I don't know how people deluded themselves into thinking the two things were related.

In other words: yes, it actually is your fault for not reading the thread and posting your insulting, sneering hot take anyway. Who knew? Like, if that happens you could just at least edit/apologize like an adult instead of tripling down. Just a thought.
This is a personal pet peeve, I just wanted to get it out of the way: When I got banned for "being against a moderators comments", I wasn't given a warning, and I was unable to even see the comment that got me banned. For a few months, I wasn't even able to see the thread that got me banned either. I don't know who banned me, but the mod who left the comment on the thread that I supposedly went against never, EVER answered my message on why I deserved to get banned. So yes, so much for "transparency".

People didn't leave Gaf because Evilore didn't tell them why they got banned. Communities aren't leaving ERA because they aren't told why there's so heavy handed moderation.

People ARE going to leave ERA because this very important ownership decision seems to have been done entirely in secret, and a lot of things seem to point to managment just doing whatever they want at some points, for whatever reason, community be damned.

So yes, it's not people deluding themselves, they just see where things are going.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a difference between being critical of an admin that sold a forum to a company that profits off of games by toxic games during a time where there's a valid discussion about whether we need to promote these companies and being critical about mods. I think there are valid reasons to be concerned about the former while being respectful to those who had nothing to do with the decision.

I don't disagree at all, but there's a lot of criticism being fired at the staff here that isn't anywhere close to as nuanced as that.

Like I said, skepticism is fine but the hyper cynical outlook that a lot of people have on Era is detrimental to having those discussions. So is the absolute disdain for the moderators, who of course aren't perfect or without fault but largely deserve better than what this community often gives them.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Well this is...not what I expected. Need some time to process this. That valuation is a lot more than I expected...

Assurances means NOTHING in corporate buyouts.

They can do whatever they want.

Shit even contractual agreements to do things certain ways only last a few years typically, or get ignored outright via loopholes. I've been in three buyouts and they've all followed the same pattern: Assurances they want your expertise and will watch from the sidelines, then small 'suggestions' and movement of staff to reduce the cohesion of those that worked for the acquisition, then assimilation.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling over a series of posts
Dunno but that's not the point. I'm saying that you, right now, are part of the problem. You say you don't "engage in site drama" yet here you are actively stirring drama and calling mods "shitheads" and repeatedly insulting them without a single shred of self-awareness. I can't stop laughing, seriously.

But some mods have been shit heads and there's nothing contradictory about that statement and my position of "I dont engage"

"some people are happy to make the mods feel bad" and you chirped in with YEAH, YOU so idk what you want me to do. I dont think i'm one of those people. I dont even know who the mods are. I didn't even know who owned the site. I'm here to shitpost about things that dont matter (like, this whole thing) and to talk about games on discords unattached from this site

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to openly know everyone in the staffs pov on this, because most of what I've read is either:
1. Full, unwavering support.
2. The feeling of being backstabbed.

I feel bad for whoever poured their time, heart and soul to this project. Honestly, I'm just here (as I've been since GamingAge) for the random comment every now and then. It affects me nothing.

I feel like this idea that Era was "borne out of a desire for transparency" is misleading. It was never about that. It was about opportunism. You had a large and lucrative community who were disillusioned with the old place, and the founders were quick to take advantage of the situation for their own gain. It no secret that GAF was worth a few quid in its heyday. We aren't a community. We are traffic, and traffic equals money. Maybe some of the original founders did have idealistic plans for what this place could be, but most of them didn't stick around long.

I dare say the sale was done now because the site is in steady decline and it made sense to sell while there was still value. The metrics all appear to be going the wrong direction.

Also, it's naive to think the community would ever be consulted about a sale. That's not how these things work.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I can't speak to all of them, but the SalesERA and NintendoERA departures followed from the events of this thread. There is additional discussion and context in the community feedback thread as well.

As far as I know there isn't a Sony ERA exodus (yet).
Holy shit. Wtf is going on around here? Damn I usually visit some random threads and miss all the drama but stuff like that on that thread is crazy.

Sony Era please take me with you if you ever leave!

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
A large part of that toll was the community and its hostility toward anything and everything the mod team did - something I feel only got worse in the couple years since I left. This community is constantly hostile, accusing staff of conspiracies and malice, attacking staff at every opportunity it gets.

Some of the community seem to view mod activity in the same way they view cop activity, i.e. never to be trusted, always with an eye to ulterior motives or pre-existing dislike of those impacted by said mod activity. They distrust by default any empowered authority. And the cause is probably the same reason, a history of infractions by certain prior mods that leads to future distrust of anyone in the position.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Some of the community seem to view mod activity in the same way they view cop activity, i.e. never to be trusted, always with an eye to ulterior motives or pre-existing dislike of those impacted by said mod activity. They distrust by default any empowered authority. And the cause is probably the same reason, a history of infractions by certain prior mods that leads to future distrust of anyone in the position.
I wish I had half of the free time that was assumed I must spend being part of a bunch of vast conspiracies.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's not my place, but I can't help but feel that if the mods were paid a wage the vitriol they are already subjected to would be multiplied x100. The feeling of entitlement would be through the roof. "You're getting paid and this is how you treat the community?!"

Part of me wonders if maybe some ownership stake rather than a wage would be a better arrangement. Not talking about just this site, but moderated forums in general.

eeehh, some of them helped kill entire communities here and also helped silence those people voicing their concerns about how things were being handled.

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this idea that Era was "borne out of a desire for transparency" is misleading. It was never about that. It was about opportunism. You had a large and lucrative community who were disillusioned with the old place, and the founders were quick to take advantage of the situation for their own gain. It no secret that GAF was worth a few quid in its heyday. We aren't a community. We are traffic, and traffic equals money. Maybe some of the original founders did have idealistic plans for what this place could be, but most of them didn't stick around long.
No one came to ERA because it was lucrative. We came here because we wanted to be away from Gaf but back to the communities we all knew. The financial opportunity was from the creator.
I dare say the sale was done now because the site is in steady decline and it made sense to sell while there was still value. The metrics all appear to be going the wrong direction.

Also, it's naive to think the community would ever be consulted about a sale. That's not how these things work.
I never meant the community should be consulted, but that it should've been informed. Why did the community get informed of technical changes but not ownership changes until the very last minute? Well, this thread right here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No one came to ERA because it was lucrative. We came here because we wanted to be away from Gaf but back to the communities we all knew. The financial opportunity was from the creator.

I never meant the community should be consulted, but that it should've been informed. Why did the community get informed of technical changes but not ownership changes until the very last minute? Well, this thread right here.
Negotiations for buyouts like this are usually under NDAs.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo
All that needs to be said, really.

I'm disappointing but not surprised. That's some A+ capitalism, Cerium.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Was the current admin/mod team aware of the 80 percent EBITDA margin or did you learn about it from this press release?

Jul 18, 2020
That's a nice medium to long term investiment. It could lead to an userbase exodus, but like all corporations I'm sure the fine people at MOBA could not give less of a fuck about the people here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much for this response! I kinda figured that was what you originally meant, but I just wanted some more clarity.

In your professional opinion -- absent what appears to be a fairly significant discount for the stagnant-to-declining growth prospects -- do you have a sense of what the valuation or revenue multiple SHOULD have been given the 80% EBITDA margin?
Considering the size v margins, I'd've expected closer to at *least* 10x for a valuation of 7M and a series of raises as to not dilute ownership that much. It's the multiple and the sale together which is funny.
Like, just yesterday I ran into a woman randomly in some backyard pitch event who was raising 6.5M for minority of some dime-a-dozen short film. People can get funding super easy these days, especially if they're generating consistent revenue with good margins. Well, unless…

Last edited:

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Very... interesting. Didn't even consider that this could happen, in all my time here. I suppose congrats to Cerium, pretty clever.

It's been brought up that mods should be paid and I wholly agree. Not because "it would make the community better" or that it would improve moderation or create accountability or anything, but because this is now a business owned by a corporation. Who would volunteer at a franchised bar that they just loved the community of?

When I used to moderate GAF, I never really felt strongly about being paid. I did the work because I cared about the community. Several years out, though, and realizing the permanent damage that stuff did to my psyche, and knowing how much money the guy above us was pulling in while doing barely anything, it's hard to justify my feelings in retrospect. I'm much more jaded, much less positive, and just a worse person all around, and nothing I did had any lasting impact.

So yeah I'm strongly on board with moderators being compensated for the work in some way, but I would sooner just recommend getting out of it entirely. It isn't worth it.
For what it's worth (probably not much), Aeana, you're the one person I remember from the old site, and fondly too. You were always in topics about games I liked and you helped me out once. So, thank you for all that you did.
Great avatar too.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree at all, but there's a lot of criticism being fired at the staff here that isn't anywhere close to as nuanced as that.

Like I said, skepticism is fine but the hyper cynical outlook that a lot of people have on Era is detrimental to having those discussions. So is the absolute disdain for the moderators, who of course aren't perfect or without fault but largely deserve better than what this community often gives them.
I also don't see a solution to that. Though I think it's important to distinguish the decisions by the staff from the staff members. Personal attacks are unnecessary even if you disagree with decisions.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for all your hard work Cerium and thank you to the team of admins, moderators and technical staff for your continued work.

And thank you MOBA Network for allowing this forum to remain what it is.
Here's to many more years!

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you understand what hypocrisy is, or have any self-awareness, because if you did, you wouldn't have written those two paragraphs back to back.

This is incredibly disingenuous and in poor faith. I didn't have to reach a quarter of the pages on this thread to realize the pattern that I was seeing. If mods had been paid a share of the buyout people would be outraged that they're getting any money at all and if you can't see through this most thinly veiled of disingenuous "financial concern" I don't know what to tell you.

idk about paid mods like a salary but throwing cash at people who helped get the site to sell for 4.5 million is something I'd be fine with

I dont give a fuck about a quarter of the pages and seeing what other people think on it, this is what I think. Again, i dont even know who mods this site, all I can infer is that a lot of people here are saying Cerium hasn't really been active here for years and then just sold it while having made good money in the mean time anyway. So either a ton of people are completely wrong about that, there's a misperception, I dunno.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I did not expect to see some users and mods (and ex-mods) get defensive over people saying that mods should be paid. Very strange to call people 'hypocrites' for saying moderators should be compensated even though they…aren't nice enough to them I guess? It is possible to simultaneously believe that the moderation staff has done a poor job with this community but that they also deserve to be compensated considering their volunteer work helped a man cash out $4.5MM from a video game forum.

Bizarre. This "actually, it's the users who are in the wrong and they should go away if they have an issue" attitude is exactly what has created so much drama in the past and pushed several communities away. It creates an Us VS Them where the mods are valiantly holding the line against a horde of unappreciative and disruptive users. It's not a recipe for a successful community.

Some of the posts in this thread admonishing "hypocritical users" are so bizarre. You can really feel how much disdain these posters have for the community at large. I have no idea why you would devote so much time and energy to a community where you don't even like the people who are a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.