• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
No one came to ERA because it was lucrative. We came here because we wanted to be away from Gaf but back to the communities we all knew. The financial opportunity was from the creator.

I never meant the community should be consulted, but that it should've been informed. Why did the community get informed of technical changes but not ownership changes until the very last minute? Well, this thread right here.

Buyouts discussions are always confidential.

I know users didn't come here because it was lucrative, but that is why the site was created. Its easy money. It took mere days to get a site up and running with a large number of users, and that user base has value. It would be virtually impossible to build up a forum of this size from scratch.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

58knBul.gif

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I did not expect to see some users and mods (and ex-mods) get defensive over people saying that mods should be paid. Very strange to call people 'hypocrites' for saying moderators should be compensated even though they…aren't nice enough to them I guess? It is possible to simultaneously believe that the moderation staff has done a poor job with this community but that they also deserve to be compensated considering their volunteer work helped a man cash out $4.5MM from a video game forum.

Bizarre. This "actually, it's the users who are in the wrong and they should go away if they have an issue" attitude is exactly what has created so much drama in the past and pushed several communities away. It creates an Us VS Them where the mods are valiantly holding the line against a horde of unappreciative and disruptive users. It's not a recipe for a successful community.

Some of the posts in this thread admonishing "hypocritical users" are so bizarre. You can really feel how much disdain these posters have for the community at large. I have no idea why you would devote so much time and energy to a community where you don't even like the people who are a part of it.
This is very well said, and I completely agree, especially the last sentence.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I do think is extremely hilarious that they managed to sell a graveyard at such a premium price

Gc9VGQO.png
Please stop speaking for transera like this. We have a very lovely community here, even if some had to leave for their own reasons.

I'm sure some of the other members of the other communities up there feel the same.

Sep 10, 2018
just gonna quote this

there are actually other ways to limit signups by bad actors, (you'd think by the way some people act that trolls are uniquely a problem for era/gaf and thus these sites demand a specific restrictive registration process used nowhere else on the internet) but I suppose it might be more financially lucrative to gatekeep registration in a way that ensures your userbase is largely middle class or better, college educated, and/or with a cushy office job.
I don't really disagree with the idea that it's classist. I hope that they use these other methods then, whatever they are.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mostly, the fact that ERA was borne out of a desire for transparency, but the fishing for a company was literally done behind closed doors, will tell you everything you need to know about what managment feels about the community.

I feel bad for whoever poured their time, heart and soul to this project. Honestly, I'm just here (as I've been since GamingAge) for the random comment every now and then. It affects me nothing.

Very much so

The 'communities are commodities' thing isnt what stings here, as that is the unfortunate nature of our age - it's a bitter taste because so many came here with good intentions to create a nice community, and the owner has now just said 'Yeah that's cool, but I'll be taking my $4.5million now off the back of that labour and pre-made albeit splintered user base from GAF'

That and the holier than thou tone of Cerium's post in terms of wanting to do what's best by us yadda yadda

I'd have a lot more respect I think if they were a hell of a lot more blunt - 'it was a hustle, a business hustle, I saw an opportunity and I wanted to make bank and I'm cashing out, cha-ching'

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was compensation ever on the table, though? The moderator positions are explicitly volunteer positions.
Never, and mods have come in here to say that they've actually all stood on the side of keeping it as volunteer work.

I want to make a metaphor on how people will go against their own interests for things they love and that's no excuse to take advantage of them, but all the examples I could think of were so heavy handed... until I got back to the gaming industry and people working in QA. Because after all it's said and done and your passion has been drained, what do mods feel they got out of all of this?

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Is Cerium going to actually respond to any of the issues from this thread or was he just dropping the announcement and bailing forever?
The last time he was "seen" was when he edited the OP. Haven't heard or seen from him since then… which isn't exactly abnormal of him because he's barely here to begin with!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to see some users and mods (and ex-mods) get defensive over people saying that mods should be paid. Very strange to call people 'hypocrites' for saying moderators should be compensated even though they…aren't nice enough to them I guess? It is possible to simultaneously believe that the moderation staff has done a poor job with this community but that they also deserve to be compensated considering their volunteer work helped a man cash out $4.5MM from a video game forum.

Bizarre. This "actually, it's the users who are in the wrong and they should go away if they have an issue" attitude is exactly what has created so much drama in the past and pushed several communities away. It creates an Us VS Them where the mods are valiantly holding the line against a horde of unappreciative and disruptive users. It's not a recipe for a successful community.

Some of the posts in this thread admonishing "hypocritical users" are so bizarre. You can really feel how much disdain these posters have for the community at large. I have no idea why you would devote so much time and energy to a community where you don't even like the people who are a part of it.
Excellent post, imo.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
If I were on staff I would leave over this. The owners of the site made huge amounts of money selling off our personal information which will be used for advertising somewhere down the line, and the volunteer staff who worked so hard to make it all possible are seeing absolutely none of it. I don't care if an admin bans me over this; I have had my disagreements with the mod team, but you guys deserve better than this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I never meant the community should be consulted, but that it should've been informed. Why did the community get informed of technical changes but not ownership changes until the very last minute? Well, this thread right here.
Because that's not how business deals are made lmao

How are you so comically ignorant about how the real world works?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, add this to another one of the sides of Era I've never seen and was completely unaware of until now.

So many people offsite talking about how many communities ResetEra scares away, and I'm just sitting here since day 1 completely oblivious to all of this.

Yeah, honestly had no idea but guess you have to be more than a casual browser checking out an OT from time to time.

I'm guessing they are all on Discord?

Think I might have to check a few out and see how the format and chat works.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Was Cerium the big firm data analyst that had people concerned about ulterior motives in those earliest days/weeks?
Back then people were just happy that there was going to be a replacement forum. Cerium bank rolled the whole thing for like 3-4 months until monetisation came in. The forum was then going to be registered as a company with several partners so as to avoid it becoming a one person show, which they early on. But eventually in 2019 the ownership ended up being consolidated to one person once again.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Need to find out if we can do anything about if our posts which were sold can be protected from being sold time and time again by the company that bought era

I didn't opt in. Do we have any course of action?

the sale of this site is a bad thing full stop

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
We knew this already, but the Facebook leaks confirm that conflict and trolling goose engagement and thus revenue. Letting trolls in to shit up the place = $$$

I'd argue Era is a different kind of social media platform where people expect a different experience than reddit. If that does end up happening many users and mods will just leave and the place will become just another irrelevant gaming forum full of spam and shit. It'll suck if that happens but I guess I'll worry about it when I see a shift or something.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop speaking for transera like this. We have a very lovely community here, even if some had to leave for their own reasons.

I'm sure some of the other members of the other communities up there feel the same.

yeah these feel odd. There´s even a PC era OT on the first page and what i could say as hundreds of Metroid threads? :D

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Never, and mods have come in here to say that they've actually all stood on the side of keeping it as volunteer work.

I want to make a metaphor on how people will go against their own interests for things they love and that's no excuse to take advantage of them, but all the examples I could think of were so heavy handed... until I got back to the gaming industry and people working in QA. Because after all it's said and done and your passion has been drained, what do mods feel they got out of all of this?
First statement was rhetorical haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's come up a lot, I just wanted to mention that we did discuss this with MOBA Network and they were emphatic that they are not in the user data business and never will be. They're not going to sell your data. Nothing is going to change about how your data is handled and protected.
How can you remotely ensure that? They didn't buy the site for nearly $5 million dollars for the ad revenue.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if those regulations for no-profit open organization were put to protect the work of volunteers from hustlers and exploiters.

I hope this community will move to a true, open, no-profit entity that actually publishes public balances.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the community seem to view mod activity in the same way they view cop activity, i.e. never to be trusted, always with an eye to ulterior motives or pre-existing dislike of those impacted by said mod activity. They distrust by default any empowered authority. And the cause is probably the same reason, a history of infractions by certain prior mods that leads to future distrust of anyone in the position.
About 95% of the theories I see posted about our "shadow cabal" and how we operate are things that I can't even foresee how someone came to the conclusion, on top of being wrong. People take this more seriously than we do, ironically.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017

At this point the vitriol for the community has for each other is just self perpetuating. There is so much disdain being thrown at each other from members, ex mods and mods alike that I'm surprised how anyone can continue to post or mod here given the way people are talking to each other whenever a community issue pops up. It certainly hasn't gotten better in all of the threads I've read when there is a community issue that crops up.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to find out if we can do anything about if our posts which were sold can be protected from being sold time and time again by the company that bought era

I didn't opt in. Do we have any course of action?

the sale of this site is a bad thing full stop
we can request account deletion but it does not delete your messages, since the forum was sold to an EU company the forum will have to abide to GDPR and should have to delete your messages if you request it, tried to ask about that but i didnt got an answer

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because that's not how business deals are made lmao

How are you so comically ignorant about how the real world works?
You are very angry and it's hard to talk to someone like that. I am not your enemy here.

I have mentioned that ERA is a business, and there's really no way around NDAs. Im not expecting (nor feel slightened) because the owner didn't mention he was closing a deal to sell the site. I am saying that this community, at the very least, expected the owner to say "I'm willing and actively looking to sell the forum".

That of course was never going to happen, not with the optics we know have and what we know of the ownership of ERA. And a lot of people are just waking up to that reality, and realizing that all the work they put on this site was for someone else to fill their pockets, and they're not even getting their communities as a tradeoff. And I feel bad for those people. And I feel worse for the people that haven't realized that, and will keep working, for free. Because even the work for passion, is work.
First statement was rhetorical haha.
I know, sorry. I just wanted to reiterate since someone else was also mentioning the same thing but I lost track of that post.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For those with strong leftist convictions and leanings, you can set up a non for profit alternative a la Wikipedia, but you will be more reliant on donations, just like Wikipedia is.

Or if someone just wants to bankroll the hosting fess and just eat the costs. It's possible.

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
what's amazing to me is that when everything was exploding because of very valid reasons on Sales Era, everyone worked their best to silence what was happening, they were not letting people notice the shady stuff and risk an exodus just before selling the forum.

The difference with GAF is that the mods let it burn to the ground, but these guys have supported it silencing all the crazy shit immediately.

How was sales era censored or what controversy happened?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
You are very angry and it's hard to talk to someone like that. I am not your enemy here.

I have mentioned that ERA is a business, and there's really no way around NDAs. Im not expecting (nor feel slightened) because the owner didn't mention he was closing a deal to sell the site. I am saying that this community, at the very least, expected the owner to say "I'm willing and actively looking to sell the forum".

That of course was never going to happen, not with the optics we know have and what we know of the ownership of ERA. And a lot of people are just waking up to that reality, and realizing that all the work they put on this site was for someone else to fill their pockets, and they're not even getting their communities as a tradeoff. And I feel bad for those people. And I feel worse for the people that haven't realized that, and will keep working, for free. Because even the work for passion, is work.

I know, sorry. I just wanted to reiterate since someone else was also mentioning the same thing but I lost track of that post.
Announcing that he was pursuing a sale would likely have lowered the price even more in a competent process.

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those with strong leftist convictions and leanings, you can set up a non for profit alternative a la Wikipedia, but you will be more reliant on donations, just like Wikipedia is.

Or if someone just wants to bankroll the hosting fess and just eat the costs. It's possible.
It just ocurred to me how grateful we should be about Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.