• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I get it. I think, like KojiKnight said, it was frowned upon to really talk about GAF in the beginning. I think it became sort of a fun injoke of sorts where we wouldn't even name GAF as a way of sort of saying, "GAF sucks so let's not even call it by it's name" Plus a lot of us are dorks and calling it the old place or the old country just adds a flair to it that amuses some of us. Sorry.

Okay, now this I don't get. You telling me you never misread a thread title that made you do a double take? Sometimes it can be funny or (rarely) scary, and I think when people mention it, it's usually out of curiosity if someone read it that way as well. It happens.
There's a thread about an ex WWE star found dead and the second comment is ... I thought it said x person with no comment on the actual topic. I can't think of a more " who cares" time to say that.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
If I have to choose, personally I would say that how this place can be so.goddamn.serious.all.the.goddamn.time.about.goddamn.everything.

Honestly, it can be so exhausting reading Era sometimes.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
There's a thread about an ex WWE star found dead and the second comment is ... I thought it said x person with no comment on the actual topic. I can't think of a more " who cares" time to say that.

Yeah I should've added that. In cases like that, sure, THAT can be done without. I mean they could've at least added a "Well, not familiar with them but RIP." Or something like that.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone makes a topic about something unquestionably popular and say: "People still do [thing]?"

People who enter threads about fast food/junk food just to say how they would never eat it under any circumstances.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
On the Etc side: It's super left-leaning and even people who are merely mostly left are gonna feel shouted down at times.
Agree with this one. There's little wiggle room at all and while I don't post about it as I have nil interest in that area of subject, the dog-piling on people on the strangest things is kind of crazy.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People that say passive agressive shit and then try and soften it with a haha, haha.

That's a general internet peeve tho
Passive aggressive people, but that's an internet problem In general. Just say what you want to say and own up to it.

I mean, this entire thread is basically passive aggressive attacks on each other. The rules of the site as enforced foster a toxic environment that encourages passive aggressive attacks because you'll get banned for being direct and honest. Especially when "attacking another member" is applied so inconsistently it's impossible to know whether one perceived "attack" (calling out someone's crap) will or will not be acceptable until after the fact. Because some call-outs are sanctioned, and some other call outs are punished. So because no one really knows for sure if calling out RedMercury's crap will get them banned, no one does. Instead we get these passive aggressive threads, which are 10 times more poisonous than people just saying, "Hey, you've been full of crap in this thread; everything you said is wrong and bad, and here's why."

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
People who get incredibly passive aggressive if you criticize a piece of media, even if you like said piece of media. Like, I get there is a lot of negativity on ERA (which is of course a problem) but me saying I didn't like a chapter in a book or the combat in a videogame isn't a personal fucking attack. Get over yourselves.

It's impossible to have a discussion about weight and obesity without it devolving into half the thread being fat jokes and shaming. It's abhorrent behavior and I don't have a clue why it's acceptable here. I'm not gonna lie, it's made me think twice about posting on this site at all. It's honestly shit like that, that really paints a picture that it doesn't take much for this place to devolve into an internet cesspit like 4chan or Reddit.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Any thread that has a statement of any kind as it's title.

Like the OP is trying to shut down discussion just to get attention.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Crying about "Censorship"

Or to be more precise, people crying how they're being censored because the 20-something looking Anime girl's age in her bio says 18 instead of 11. That kind of thing.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
People not reading the OP; specifically in discussion threads. If someone makes a topic and posts a long OP and you can't be bothered to read it get off the fucking discussion board. Should honestly be banned after multiple offenses.

OP with more than 2 lines or a video longer than a minute always brings at least 30% of posts that are pure shit. This applies to both Gaming and Etcetera. Sometimes I even go back to OP to see if it was edited to add info, and 99% of the time it wasn't, it's just that people didn't bother reading it...

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
People who make something trivial seem greater than it is.
People who speak like everything is a question
Unnecessary aggression over nothing.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I don't think this thread was made in good faith.
This ain't it, chief. Oof.
The small hairs from the back of my hair stood up as I read that like some visceral response to one too many triggers put together.

I have many pet peeves with y'all
-We need to talk about...
-Am I the only one who...
-people who post random jpgs or gifs and don't say where it's from
-posting acronyms for things that are completely out of context from the thread and thus impossibly to decipher
-Yikes (I've grown to hate this term so fucking much)
-Overboard wokeness (see the FF7 thread filled with "Barret isn't black enough" variations for reference)
-Thread about something shitty said by some shitty person on Twitter with 300 followers which spawns a 20 page Era thread of 30 users repeating how racist that idiot was while giving him the time of day by acknowledging their tweets.
-I'm sure there's more but I can't think of right now

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Long history of bad faith attacks and malicious misrepresentation of the staff.
The stuff that's here because GAF did it.

- Non editable thread titles - literally every other forum I've used on the internet has allowed thread titles to be edited. Only GAF was the exception, for stupid reasons made by that site's admin. The feature is disabled here because .. it was disabled on GAF.

- Custom user titles - once again, was/is a thing every other forum supports, except for GAF, and Era copied it because GAF did it. It was used to bully users on GAF via undocumented administrator usage, it's used for the same purpose here. At no point should anyone other than the user be able to attach a cosmetic change to anyone's profile, especially when it's undocumented who did it, without their consent or control.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The posters who really need to let everyone know what they think of TLJ

People coming into a political thread to drop a terrible hot take before just completely leaving.

People who don't read the OP. It's super fucking annoying to have someone ask you or tell you something that you already wrote in the very first post.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Food threads. It's like people don't realize folks in different parts of the world enjoy / have access to different things. It's all good. No need to get into a pissing contest / putting down another country / region's food.
I have my pet peeves with Era but one of the funniest, most enjoyable, wholesome, and fascinatingly dumb threads I've seen here was one about some very American dude who was complaining about his gf or wife forgetting to add the sauce from the taco kit for his hard shelled tacos. Cue walls and pages of people responding in the funniest ways possible with variants of "what the fuck is a taco kit" "your mistake was eating tacos from a taco kit" "hard shelled tacos? Taco kits? You deserve each other".

It was delightful. I could use more threads like this in Off topic amongst the sea of bleak news and Marvel/Star Wars threads.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
In general, I think having "feedback threads" and "constructive critisism threads" once in a while is a good thing.

Since this "ResetEra pet peeves" thread now severs as a ground to voice those criticisms, I'd like to contribute 2 of my biggest criticisms so far:

1. The low quality of discussion on here. This is partly - and forgive me if someone else feels offended by that - due to some VERY questionable moderation decisions in the past as well as "members piling up on certain arguments, wrongly accusing other members of all kinds of things". I've seen people get banned for - correctly - JUST pointing out certain definitions (like for example, finding 16 years olds attractive and such, to be pedophilia - which no matter how you feel about it is simply not the right definition). YET, people got banned for pointing something like that out, claiming that it's some sort of "defending x/y... etc.". This is pretty embarrassing. Same thing happened to other examples, where people pointed something out, semantics for example, and got banned for being "pedantic" - how ridiculous.

Due to this, I think many intelligent posters on ResetEra simply don't like to engage in certain discussions around here. Therefore, many interesting discussions and topics can't take place on ResetEra. People have to be afaid of getting attacked and "piled on" by other members, who then trigger a ban, thus - and forgive me for saying that - making this place more of an "echo chamber".

LUCKILY enough, this problem only applies to off-topic threads - mostly. On gaming side ResetEra members are still safe to engage in heated discussions, voicing their opinions, without having to fear being misunderstood or wrongly accused of something.

In the best days of NeoGAF you didn't have that problem. Quite to the contrary, NeoGAF used to be a place where you could have heated, intelligent discussions on all kinds of topics, thus making many threads both fun, interesting and informative to read.

2. Compared to the best days of GAF - when it was an good place - there are less fun threads around here. Now why is that?`I'm not sure. IT COULD be because of the problem I mentioned in my first point. People may be afraid of making fun threads because they think they'll catch an unjustified ban.

All in all, like other's said, ResetEra feels like less fun therefore. There may be other points worth exploring, why that is exactly.

EDIT: Yes, like other's mentioned, the dog-pilling is also one of the worst things about Era. It wouldn't be that bad if all this dog-pilling wouldn't end up in disrespectul and sometimes pretty outrageously unjustified bans for certain members, thus lessening the sense of community.

Last edited:

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
People who just have to write subtitles for games even when it's absolutely unnecessary.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

Why. Why? WHY?

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Those tragic losers who constantly scour the forum looking for people to report. Imagine being such a giant dad you spend your days tone policing, backseat modding and snitching on other users to an internet janitor in the hopes you'll become their pet. Lol.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff that's here because GAF did it.

- Non editable thread titles - literally every other forum I've used on the internet has allowed thread titles to be edited. Only GAF was the exception, for stupid reasons made by that site's admin. The feature is disabled here because .. it was disabled on GAF.

- Custom user titles - once again, was/is a thing every other forum supports, except for GAF, and Era copied it because GAF did it. It was used to bully users on GAF via undocumented administrator usage, it's used for the same purpose here. At no point should anyone other than the user be able to attach a cosmetic change to anyone's profile, especially when it's undocumented who did it, without their consent or control.
Neither of these points are particularly accurate, FyreWulff, so i'd like to clarify a few things. For titles, users always have a degree of control over the threads they create, if they'd like a title change it's a very easy process that is little extra work for the creator or the moderation team. We did have a feature for 2.0 that allowed users to edit thread titles within a small window after creation, allowing them to correct any mistakes or tighten up or update the title if needed. This was unfortunately not ready to be implemented for the 2.0 launch, but we may have more to discuss on a feature like this down the road.

For what you've said about tags, none of what you've said is accurate. Tags are always suggested to the user prior, are given with consent, users are allowed to suggest alternatives, and remove them whenever they like. They know who are giving them out, and know why they are receiving them. It was designed specifically to not mimic the mean-spirited nature that other communities could sometimes employ with these features. They are always meant as a positive, like to celebrate a users contributions, or a specific community event. There may be an exception to this with events like the Thanos game, but those rules were laid out so those who took part knew what to expect.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admit it, you did it on purpose, right? :@
Not putting a period at the end of your post.
Because it's worse!

I usually try to put a period at the end of a multi-sentence post or a sentence with multiple thoughts, but if it's just a quick single-line comment I might forget.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Some people act like they know everything about anything. That skin care thread must be full of dermatologists posting.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If I have to choose, personally I would say that how this place can be so.goddamn.serious.all.the.goddamn.time.about.goddamn.everything.

Honestly, it can be so exhausting reading Era sometimes.

Hello sir, I noticed you have periods instead of spaces, just thought you might want to know that you have made grammatical errors.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't stand when people create a thread where the title is stated as fact when it's usually a bad take on said topic.

I also can't stand when people squabble over stupid shit.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Backseat Modding
Thread whining
People who think they're clever when they throw their hot take within the first 5 posts
The negative vibes in general

Nov 4, 2017
Grammar elitists. Get a life,.I made a typo, i'm human. You're sole posting contribution to a thread is to "LOOK EVERY BODY - I SPOTTED HIS MISTAKE" me?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This thread had a good run, but the trend of metacommentary about other forums is something we like to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.