• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
ResetEra is just over two years old. I usually stop by the main gaming forum 2-3 times a day or so, and at some point over the past year I noticed a trend... Pokemon threads are always popping up on the first page. Sometimes old threads are revived, sometimes new ones are created, but at least five days of the week when I visit the site, it seemed that there was always one or two Pokemon threads on page one of that sub-forum.

So I decided to make a game out of it to find out what would happen: using the site's "Ignore Thread" feature to see if I could eventually catch 'em all. The only criteria was that it had to be in the main gaming forum, and the thread title had to include the name "Pokemon". Remember - I only glance at the first page, so this is not some crazy vendetta against their popular line of games.

Since then, I've manged to ignore literally doezns of them, including four threads in one single visit today alone. That's now officially my personal record! =D Now a few minutes ago I got even more curious. Even though it may be cheating, I decided to look up how many total threads there actually were:

Over 1,100 individual Pokemon threads have been created in the ResetEra gaming sub-forum since the site launched two years ago!!!

Lol, that is absolutely bonkers. By way of comparison, I did a check to see how many threads have been created with the word "Duty" in it... only a paltry 300+ in the gaming sub forum. As far as individual games go (not counting publisher names, mind you), I can't think of any title or franchise that has dominated like that, especially a non-Nintendo franchise. Most OT game or franchise threads usually contain a lot of the topics and thoughts people have for them, but Pokemon fans seem to be a different animal in that regard.

Hmmmm... even though I rarely come here, I wonder what would be the top search title in the EtcEra sub forum? As for me, I'll go back to the gaming forum and see how quickly I can break my one-day record over there with Pokemon. It looks like it'll be impossible to hunt them all down without cheating, but I'll keep trying.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You best start believing in Pokemon thread's TC.

giphy.gif

You're in one!

OP
OP
joeblow

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^Nah, I was specifically deleting threads in the main gaming forum only. This one is safe from the ignore hammer. :-)

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Let's move this to Gaming so you can become what you hate.

Also, new games are out in a week. Are you surprised?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
The second best selling video game series of all time has a lot of people talking about it on a video game forum?

Crazy.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
1,100+ threads in a sub forum for one franchise is jaw dropping, don't you think?

*11.5 million threads*

...no, not really. Sorry OP

Edit: you only tried searching "Duty"? No Halo or Mario or Assassin or Zelda or whatever mega franchise came to mind? Did you bother searching for "CoD"?

I would assume, using basically the same logic that you did, that CoD is probably more prevalent than Duty (but I'm not going to bother checking)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is a popular series and there is a new Pokemon game coming out like next week.

karby

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is extremely popular.

Pokemon is kinda going through some things right now.

A new pokemon game is releasing next week.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
So you decided to complain about Pokemon threads...by making a new one on the wrong forum?

OP
OP
joeblow

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
*11.5 million threads*

...no, not really. Sorry OP

Edit: you only tried searching "Duty"? No Halo or Mario or Assassin or Zelda or whatever mega franchise came to mind? Did you bother searching for "CoD"?

I would assume, using basically the same logic that you did, that CoD is probably more prevalent than Duty (but I'm not going to bother checking)
I checked for CoD and that's only 120 threads in two years. Halo is at 180+.

For some reason, some here think I'm only talking about current threads. Again, the total number is over the course of two years. That's what cracks me up.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
1,100 it's rookie numbers. Look for FROM software threads. There's probably 1,100 "new to soulsborne, tips for a newbie?" threads.

OP
OP
joeblow

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ There's no easy way to check that. The word "From" is too common so a bunch of false positives pop up in thread titles. Over 1,000 of them appear over the last six months alone.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
This thread: Person shocked that the most popular media franchise in the world is discussed regularly.