• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
ygoeradnjrq.png

Today ResetERA's watch of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Twitch Marathon came to an end

But many of us want more. We want sequels, we want spinoffs, WE WANT CHILDREN'S CARD GAMES

So join us in our crusade were we will go through thousands of cards, face the most ridiculous hairstyles, break every single rule in the game and suffer from watching our waifus get character assassinated one after the other as we rewatch every YuGiOh! sequel and Spin-off...yes, even ZEXAL.

So? How does this works?

Everyone in this thread will cover 10 episodes of the shows each week during that time discussion of the episodes will.be strictly spoiler tagged, at the start of next week a new batch of 10 episodes will be rewatched and the previous batch of episodes can be freely discussed with no spoiler tags.

What are we currently watching?

1f80792f1d7f0fa7c60024c7293de9f71435994654_full.jpg

GOTCHA!

We're currently watching the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, any plot point beyond episode 10 must be spoiler tagged for this week

GX takes place 10 years after the original series, and tells us the Story of Yudai Yuki (Jaden Yuki for English Speakers) as he enrolls on Seto Kaiba's Duel Academy to sharpen his skills and try to reach the level of Yugi Muto.

While GX starts off as a campy school life comedy with duels thrown in, things will get very dark, so much so that 4kids censored the entire last sseason.

For that reason please watch the Japanese version in order to get the full experience of the show!

Woah woah, what about 4kids and their fuckery? Which versions are we going to watch?

Since 4kids censored the entire last seasons of GX and 5D's we will be watching the original version of those for the full experience

Dark Side of Dimensions, Arc-V and...*sigh* ZEXAL have faithful dubs, so watch the one you prefer

Can you Link me to the shows?

All of them are available at CrunchyRoll, and our user Hypno made this handy guide for the YGO Community OT. Click on each series to start watching!!

KSmtKXL.jpg

Are we really going to watch Zexal?

Yes we are. If the Star Wars fandom can endure Attack of the Clones in their yearly rewatches, we can handle ZEXAL.

a1YE0dJY1_840w_v1.jpg

Special Thanks to Joqu for his help on the thread and to Luigi87 for thinking about it!

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think I'll also only stick with GX. >.>

It's going to take a looooot of effort for me to get past 5D's premise, and I don't really have any interest of the other series.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

It's going to take a looooot of effort for me to get past 5D's premise, and I don't really have any interest of the other series.
Hey, I didn't say I was only going to watch GX! It's just what I want to talk about the most. ;)

I hear Arc-V sort of uh, jumps the shark towards the end, but that early stuff was really good when I checked it out. I definitely want to finish that.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that one movie had actually come out. lol
Welp, guess I'll try to join in. Hopefully this helps me understand how Synchro, XYZ, Link, and whatever other nonsense works.

Bagu

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Dark Side. Kaiba said he'd fire God. That's an Abridged joke in an official release.
How do you top that?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Welp, guess I'll try to join in. Hopefully this helps me understand how Synchro, XYZ, Link, and whatever other nonsense works.
It will. Well, I can't speak for Link, but I know it did for me with the other stuff. I haven't played YGO since the Synchro days, but thanks to the anime I still have a rough idea of how the other stuff works.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's worth getting past it for 5D's and giving it a try. Keeping it simple, I haven't seen it all the way through again in awhile, but I remember really liking it surprisingly quickly when it aired on TV. I also remember that it brought back much of the tone of this first show (in the dub as well, which is the only way I've seen it).

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I actually explain them in deteail in the community OT OP if you want to give it a read, but watching the show (particularly Arc-V) certainly helps

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Oh yeah, since now is DSOD time. Someone please explain to me what is going on with those dancing planets in the intro!

Do they represent the different YGO universes? What's up with the planet burning up in that light though? I'm inclined to make a certain GX connection there, but that'd be a bit of a weird one considering DSOD is supposed to be an og manga sequel. But if it's dealing with the universes I guess that wouldn't be that strange of a connection...

...am I overthinking this?

Also! I know this is an anime thread but it's worth pointing out that the movie had a prequel in the form of a new manga special by Takahashi, Transcend Game.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/TRANSCEND_GAME

yu-gi-oh-transcend-game-20412.jpg

I don't think it's available for purchase, but it should be easy enough to find.

Last edited:

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Woo, I'll definitely be popping in for this.

I too once hated zexal, but then I learned how to Go With the Flow and High-Five the Sky and now I'm a numbers BELIEVER

Bonds Beyond Time is a 5Ds movie, really, so I assume we'll watch it later.

PoL... Well, it's a bit late for that one. I guess it could be a fun diversion down the line.

True. I think to be fair Bonds was my least favorite out of the 3. Mainly because I wasn't into 5Ds at the time. But, anywho, it'd be great if we could add PoL to the list. It was one of my favorite past time movies with some of the best magicians they showed :D .

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
True. I think to be fair Bonds was my least favorite out of the 3. Mainly because I wasn't into 5Ds at the time. But, anywho, it'd be great if we could add PoL to the list. It was one of my favorite past time movies with some of the best magicians they showed :D .
I liked it as a kid but man... I really don't think PoL is good nowadays. I'll save that discussion for a rewatch.

Bonds is fun! To me it feels more like a really fancy special though. It's just one big duel.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the new movie is really fun and also worth watching for the visuals and the dub cast being back for all of these old characters. Loved it.
I quite liked Bonds Beyond Time, plus probably the nostalgia timing of the old protags, and how long it'd been since seeing (and hearing) new stuff with original Yugi.
That makes sense I agree it's kind of staged as a 5D's movie so if you weren't watching that probably does take a bit away from it since if I remember right it takes place in the middle of that and kind of begins and ends from his view.

Not now but eventually I need to re-watch that one, since it's the oldest I'm pretty hazy on it, but at the time I think I liked it, no idea how it holds up.

Last edited:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, I only watched the first season of GX and thought it was decent.
Should be interesting to revisit.

Jotting down the dates
6gQj8td.gif

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so this IS happening, lol
Also dang, ZEXAL really that bad?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched YuGiOh, GX (till season 3) and Zexal (Season 2).

Katooobinguuu dazeeee

Zexal was the shit, okay?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
GX is surprisingly good. EHERO shenanigans and Cyber Dragons were more interesting than Dark Magician and Blue Eyes for sure.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think what is ideal is people can watch as much as they want, but discussion should be limited up to the ten episodes airing that week, that way it also doesn't spoil ahead for new viewers.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think what is ideal is people can watch as much as they want, but discussion should be limited up to the ten episodes airing that week, that way it also doesn't spoil ahead for new viewers.

This is a fantastic idea, I agree.

Currently watching the LatinAmerican dub of DSOD, really miss some of the OG actors...But this movie is so much fun!

Edit: This movie is making miracles for Kaiba's deck
latest

But what can you expect...Kaiba is making up his entire deck

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

5Ds "cardgames on motorcyles" premise is really fucking dumb, and yet somehow it works beautifully and the first major part of 5Ds is easily the best of the series imo. Unfortunately it takes a bit of a dive after the dark signers arc, but it's still enjoyable

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'll watch DSOD today too. In fact I might just start watching it now, though I won't be able to finish it in one go. I think I'll go with Japanese audio, first time I'll have watched it that way.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
5Ds "cardgames on motorcyles" premise is really fucking dumb, and yet somehow it works beautifully and the first major part of 5Ds is easily the best of the series imo. Unfortunately it takes a bit of a dive after the dark signers arc, but it's still enjoyable
Agreed. It's really quite good, totally worth looking past that and trying it.

Yeah, I think it's a very good setup and I think a week per 10 eps is good as well, a nice amount of time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Finished DSOD...That ending was quite...Atem Ex Machina

Guess I was too hyped at the theater to notice.

Also they really needed toto pick one evil force, the Prana dudes or the ring, using both lead to some very dumb scenes.

Dimmension Summon was absolutely unneeded, just say that you don't need to tribute!! Everyone kept maxing the monsters at no visible cost so it wasn't any different

Besides those things, it was a really fun ride, though definitely much weaker on rewatch

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I really wanted to do a liveblog sort of thing with my reactions, but that's probably not a good idea with the spoiler rules here. So here's some caps I made of the first 10 minutes of DSOD.

.... Also helps that I didn't get to watch more yet, I'll finish it tonight.

Let's take a look at the opening, featuring our favourite Toxic Trash Man, Seto Kaiba!

ygokaiba1zcs4l.png

Here we can see Kaiba admire his stolen Egyptian artifact, made out of solid gold, in space. Because he's rich as fuck. Internally however, he's longing for his dead Egyptian ex-boyfriend. Will Kaiba be able to fix his troubles with money, or will sanity prevail?

ygokaiba2rrs8j.png

Another shot of Kaiba and his riches. And boy is it a handsome one, this movie is pretty good looking.

ygokaiba3w9s2u.png

Kaiba's beautiful Blue Eyes. Not pictured: a dragon.

Mokuba, the other Kaiba. Best Kaiba?

ygomokuba1gzysu.png

Look at him!!! Looking good, Moki! So confident! I like the haircut. Did Seto buy him that suit, or did he pick it himself? It is a mystery. Seriously, this is a great redesign. Too cute.

Next we are reunited with the king of games himself, Yugi Mutou. And he's a real KoG here since this is manga canon. Duel Monsters, griddle ice hockey, capsule monsters. He has done it all. He even beat Tamagotchi, a feat that should be impossible. But here we are.

ygoyugi1jikuk.png

Yugi, embarrassed by his grandpa. And boy is he looking adorable. I really like how his DSOD redesign looks, it's subtle changes but they really show his growth. Literally since he's taller, but the slightly changed eyeshape also makes him look just a tad more like Atem.

ygoyugi2lrubm.png

The aforementioned embarrassing grandfather, looking... about the same. I wouldn't want it any other way.

And finally, the secret main character of all of Yu-Gi-Oh! Felis silvestris catus.

ygoyugi3ggua0.png

I don't know how much you guys know about cats, but I'm an expert. And lemme tell you, this is a high quality cat. Yugi recognizes this too, and greets the cat with great respect. And that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

So, I really like how DSOD opens. It has a nice swift pace to it, and reintroduces you to the characters you loved in no time, and it just feels like home. Seeing Yugi and his friends hang out again (the cat being the most important friend of course) just makes me happy. It reminds me of the early Manga days, y'know, when Jonouchi (Joey) and Honda (Tristan) were bullies, and Anzu (Tea) would get sexually harassed by Yugi's creepy old grandfather. Good times. But at the same time, you can really feel that time has passed, and that the gang is growing up. They all look just a little older, they're discussing their future, and it has a bit of that bittersweet tone to it that your last days of high school tend to have. Mine did at least.

Meanwhile, Kaiba is being his usual egomaniac self. Though to be fair I know from the manga that he already has gone through quite the arc of his own by this point. Still, his story clearly isn't finished, and that's what this movie is all about in the end. He hasn't moved on. Aigami hasn't moved on. But Yugi and his friends? They're doing well.

I've never watched much of the original series with its Japanese VA, so some quick impressions there: Joey sounds way different from what I expected. That man does not sound like he's from cartoon Brooklyn! That's the end of my VA impressions, the other ones feel just fine.

I do want to mention DSOD had a rather nice English dub, and while I haven't been comparing the two side by side I haven't noticed significant story differences yet... in the first 10 minutes of course. But I know they'll come, the dub makes DSOD take place in the anime universe. Still, I could tell it was far more faithful than any of the old 4kids stuff.

The soundtrack is completely different as well, and I like what I'm hearing! That said I think 4k did a fine job with their DSOD soundtrack too. I'm rather nostalgic for the original 4kids music, but I never liked how they utilized it in the episodes. I'm sure that stuff was handled elegantly in the Japanese version of the series. In this movie however, I felt like they did a good job.

Next up in Joqu watches DSOD, we'll take a look at the lame secondary characters and also Bakura. Sorry Jonouchi. Your arc peaked when you bought those scorpion infested sneakers.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Truly the Dark Souls of children's card games. Gonna watch DsoD , then dive into GX. Also missed bits of S1-3 probably watch alot of that also. Also need to read the manga. WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO!?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yes we have decided that you can watch as much of each as you want but you must tag any spoilers that go beyond the 10 eps the thread will focus on each week

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Let's give the Geek Squad some love. Starting with Anzu / Téa
ygoanzu18sura.png

Okay, so, she doesn't look that different. The whole gang gets some spiffy redesigns during some scenes in which they hang out without their school uniforms, but that happens later so this will have to do. But look at this! These two are adorable together. Anzu's role in DSOD isn't that big, which should be no surprise. But it's nice to have her back. I like how they brought up her professional dancer dreams again!

Everyone's favourite furry, Katsuya Jonouchi AKA Joey, has arrived
ygojoey2dbu0b.png

I talked about the pace of the opening earlier, and here we see some literal pace! I like how Joey appears to be notorious in the neighbourhood. Anyway, I lied earlier. I actually really like his character. He doesn't have that much to do in DSOD though, it really isn't his movie. And there's a disturbing lack of dog costume.

Um. Honda / Tristan. I'm sure he's someone's favourite... right?
ygohonda1fvqg5.png

So Honda... has even less to do, but does that surprise anyone? He's also in a hurry here. I think that's as interesting as he gets in this.

ygohondajo03ube.png

Okay yeah, so, he does go through some classic Jonouchi abuse. That was fun. I think this is about where he chokes to death? I'll find out when I watch the rest of the movie, but that sounds right. It would explain my lack of DSOD Honda memories.

Best boy Bakura. I'm sorry I didn't include you earlier, buddy.
ygobakura2ik4y.png

Bakura is popular with the girls, which shouldn't be a surprise by anyone who knows a thing or two about the YGO fandom. Okay, so this isn't the evil / British Bakura we all know and love, it's the fluffy one. I really like this guy too though. He doesn't have the most important role in DSOD, but I remember him having some really neat scenes. Now Bakura actually gets a pretty significant redesign in this! And by that I mean a haircut. It looks cute, but I think I preferred his earlier spiky look. Maybe the spikes were caused by the evil influence of the ring. And what's going on with his hair colour? But who am I to complain, he clearly has the right idea considering his popularity there.

And finally, new boy Aigami.
ygodivabtazi.png

Judging by his seat he just has to be our new protagonist, right? I wish. Kind of. So I actually REALLY like the design of this guy, he should get a series of his own for that alone if you ask me. He's certainly better than whatever is going on with the VRAINS guy. And everyone knows his name! It's a good start. Character-wise, I definitely don't think he's the best or anything, but I think he's fine. But probably not true protagonist material, huh? Just slap some colour on his hair and recycle his design, I'm sure no one would notice. I mean, I would. But I wouldn't mind.

That's it, the start of the school life anime that is Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions. It sure looks like a nice, quiet, slice of life kind of movie. I'm sure nothing sinister will happen... Yup.

And now I'm finally going to finish this darn thing in Japanese. See you next time.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much. At the start Yusei is a pretty no-nonsense pratogonist and Jack Atlas is an over the top dick you love to hate. Has the whole count of monte christo theme with some ridicucous but entertaining duels.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not to mention that in 5D's (at least early season's), Turbo Duels are reserved for high profile tournaments to push duelists further and give the audience a better show

There's a lot of regular duels in 5D's

Nov 2, 2017
I watched Dark Side of Dimensions (DUB) early February when I was in a vacation in Florida. Don't really have any way to legally rewatch it now, but I did really like it. It's definitely the best Yugioh movie...though I realize that's not saying much considering how Pyramid of Light and Bonds Beyond Time are. I just love the animation and the art style and it was nice to see all these characters back, especially on big screen. Though I remember the duels being hard to follow since they weren't explaining what the cards do and if I hadn't been familiar with Aigami's deck beforehand, I would've been even more confused. Plus Dimension Summoning was just...weird. But overall I did really like it.