ResetEra Tech Thread - 5/24/19 Site Update (Report Bugs Here)

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not sure why, but I'm getting notifications about mentions that don't (always) make much sense. Latest example, it seems this post has triggered it:
It's not a big deal, but probably shouldn't happen. I was thinking of changing my username anyway, because at some point it happened much more frequently, as well as posters attributing anything and everything to people.
For sure that person originally typed people (at people) instead of @posters.

Similarly, I also just received an alert that someone "quoted my post" in a thread where I have never posted.

It was this post:
They probably had one of your posts saved under multi-quote and hit "Insert quotes..." without noticing your post was included. They then edited their post and removed it. I've almost done that a couple of times and would have if I didn't read my post again before submitting.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a bug, but I don't know if there's an explicit place to suggest/request features? Anyway, I'm using the "Trending Threads" and "Latest Threads" a lot, and I would love to have a way to filter those to gaming only or off topic only.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not really a bug, but I don't know if there's an explicit place to suggest/request features? Anyway, I'm using the "Trending Threads" and "Latest Threads" a lot, and I would love to have a way to filter those to gaming only or off topic only.
There is within the forums. Click "Filter" and change ""Last Message" to "First Message" within Gaming or EtcetEra.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Safari browser is still always redirecting me to the 2nd page of a new thread and never to the 1st post. This is happening on iOS 13.2.2.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody noticing poor performance lately? Specifically with the post editor, it seems delayed with worse performance, and as a post gets longer the performance seems to get worse and worse. Perceptible delays in the editor.

Could be a chrome latest issue, but I'll test in FF as well.

*edit*

Let's see, yes, in FF latest there still seems to be a perceptible delay in the performance of the editor. Editing long posts or threads with a lot of replies seems to be a bigger issue.

Last edited:

deprecated

Apr 15, 2019
Not a huge deal, but the keyboard input on the two factor authentication page is back to the full keyboard. There was a brief period where it was just the number input and that was super helpful.

Android 9 + Firefox

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
It looks like arstechnica is blocking the hosting provider that ResetEra is using. Not much we can do at this stage beyond requesting being unblocked

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I got a pop notifciation for like, It looks like some sort of suicide hotline? and I can't seem to make it go away. I'm not sure why I'm receiving that sort of thing, unless it was a system-wide test?

Vanillalite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway the site can just go members only for seeing any of the content?

Feels like that tech “fix” would go a long way to fixing other issues around here.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Is era generally just laggy as fuck generally when it comes to touch inputs on mobile? I am constantly hitting ghost links when scrolling asking and using the screen on my galaxy s8 on Chrome. I'll press a link and the phone will register my touch on a link that was at the same pixel location two seconds ago.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
Is era generally just laggy as fuck generally when it comes to touch inputs on mobile? I am constantly hitting ghost links when scrolling asking and using the screen on my galaxy s8 on Chrome. I'll press a link and the phone will register my touch on a link that was at the same pixel location two seconds ago.
I've had problems loading the site on mobile in general. I might load the front page and then one more, but after that it just dies out.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
So to punctuate my previous post: I can still browse almost any site at 1-2 bars. At 4 bars, I am getting this message:

Dunno if it's something on my end or the site's, but yeah. Trying to load it in Safari too, but nothing.