• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Hello everyone! Last time we were proud to introduce the most advanced Image Options available on any traditional forum. Today, we were able to successfully apply a major upgrade to our core forum software -- given how extensively we've customized it, this involves more work than you might think. Our hope is that this update will help resolve a range of compatibility and stability issues that have been reported.

As with any major update, there may be some initial wrinkles, so please report any new or lingering bugs and technical issues in this thread.

Of course, this upgrade brings along with it some cool new features for your convenience. There are also a couple returning features (old favorites), another feature that's been around but which we're highlighting for the first time, and a preview of a big new feature that will be coming very soon is available now!

Font Display Size Options

Due to the way that mobile browsers handle font sizing, we were previously unable to offer adjustable display options that would reliably work for everyone. That has now changed in this update. As one of the first options under your Account Preferences you will now be able to choose between 4 different font sizes (Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large) that will apply to all text on our site. These settings should work across all devices and browsers. No more squinting!

Push Notifications

After an initial delay, this feature has now been implemented and can be turned on in your Account Preferences! With push notifications active, your browser will prompt you to accept notifications from ResetEra -- you should obviously do so if you want to take advantage of this feature. Please note that while most browsers are supported, Safari and anything on iOS are not, for reasons that are out of our hands.

Your preferences allow you to pick and choose what you would like to receive notifications about. These settings are saved on a per-device basis. The contents of a notification are similar to an alert, only slimmed down a little. You do not need to be viewing the forum to receive a notification, nor does the browser need to be active. This feature is now the best way to ensure that you won't miss a thing.

Bookmarks

ResetEra is a big place, and it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of your favorite content. When we launched our current site design we included a version of this feature, which proved popular. Unfortunately, we were soon forced to disable it for performance reasons, but we always intended to bring it back. We're pleased to be able to do that now! Any bookmarks you created before have been preserved and should carry over.

This new implementation is integrated directly into the core software. The option to add a bookmark can be found on the top right of every post. Your list of bookmarks will be accessible as a separate tab alongside your account options (click your avatar on the top bar). This time you can even add your own description for each bookmark, and organize and filter them via tags. Bookmarks are tied to your account and will persist across every device.

View Top Posters in a Thread

It's back! Well over a year ago when the site first launched we implemented a version of this feature for a brief time, but were forced to disable it for technical reasons. We are finally pleased to bring this old favorite back, this time without the original problems. At the top right of every thread you will now find a 'Who Replied?' button which will rank the posters in the thread by descending post count. You can even filter names on the list.

Share Individual Posts on Social Media

Right next to the new Bookmark icon at the top right of each post, you will now find a new Share icon as well. Clicking this will bring up an overlay that will allow you share the post directly to your social media outlet of choice. There is also a convenient option to copy a link to the post to your clipboard.

Quick Jump - Number Key Navigation

Did you know that you can navigate the site with the number keys on your keyboard? This function has actually been available from the beginning, but we have not highlighted it before. Members recommended we include it in an announcement, which we are doing now! While browsing the site, if you press the number 1, you will be brought to the main page. The other numbers correspond with Quick Jump destinations in descending order; 2 for the Gaming Forum, 3 for the Gaming Hangouts, 4 for the EtcetEra Forum, all the way down to 8 for Watched Threads.

Hyperlink Previews

We are experimenting with this new feature: For now, when a URL is placed on its own line in a post, it will automatically be converted into a more detailed preview that includes the destination page title, metadata logo, description and favicon. We'll be monitoring how this feature works out in practice, and will decide whether it will remain permanent at a later date.

New Era Clear Payment Option

Ever since we first launched our Era Clear ad-free subscription service, members have often asked us for an alternative payment method that does not require PayPal. As it turns out, the software we're now using features native integration with Stripe, a service that allows you to directly and conveniently pay via credit card or Apple Pay. If you do not want to use PayPal you can now complete your transactions securely via Stripe, without needing any other account besides your ResetEra account. No payment details are ever stored or processed on our end. PayPal remains an option for those who like it.

Era Clear Gifting

Have you ever wanted to do something nice for another member? Maybe they did something nice for you, maybe they made an awesome post, or maybe you're just feeling generous. Well now you can give them the gift of Era Clear! Simply navigate to your Account Upgrades page, where you will be able to gift 1 month or 1 year of Era Clear to another poster.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Awesome update can't wait to see what else is in store. Also I see you've updated the icons for the reply field.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
These are a bunch of great features. I will be using the shortcuts forever now, the bookmarks are a needed return, and I always loved the Top Posters feature.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of many of prior updates to the website. Until it was possible I was even using the classic look of the website because I wasn't big on some of the changes. This list of improvements is excellent, however, I don't see a single downside to them so far. Especially happy about the bookmarks coming back, and the top posters is also a fun thing that I always wondered why we didn't have anymore. Kudos.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The quick reply button at the bottom on mobile seems to be glitchy when browsing the site with Edge. Probably due to Edge's bottom navigation bar

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might I make a request for a feature to auto-filter out threads with certain keywords in the title? For example, I could add E3, Xbox, PlayStation etc to the filter so I could auto-ignore those threads until I watch all the E3 conferences? Or for movies or shows or whatever, you get the idea. Would be really convenient! Might help cut down on the spoiler-phobia we have around here for big media event, too?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Thread covers and the option to manage them seem to be gone. Not hugely important, but just making sure it was on the list.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy I found this place after the last place imploded. It's my daily go to for game news and discussions.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Um are we supposed to be seeing the

3HF8nVq.png

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't there used to be an area on the bottom of a page to take to you to the forum that thread came from, on mobile? You have to scroll to the top now.