• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 5, 2017
Bug: Dark mode can't be activated through hamburger menu on Safari on iOS anymore

Details:

I can't activate dark mode anymore through the hamburger menu on Safari on iOS on my iPhone X.

I have to scroll down, but the bottom navigation toolbar gets in the way.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:

OJrWsfj.jpg

I am running the latest version of Safari on iOS on my iPhone. iOS version: 12.2.

Thanks!

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
Can you bring back the PWA for iOS? iOS >= 12.2 supports gesture-based navigation and preserves state, unlike earlier OS versions.

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey, don't "strongly advise me to enable push notifications". It's just a forum, I don't need push notifications when I'm quoted. Lots of people browse this at work and that's literally the last thing I want.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Ever since the update when visiting the site via firefox, it looks like it's set to mobile or something.

Everything looks massive and overblown... not sure if the picture really translates that. Tried clearing cookies and deleting history, does the same thing on my work PC.

I even see the expand/enlarge/fullscreen button on the bottom of the main which I believe is only available on mobile... not sure what's going on here or if there is a way to force the site into "desktop mode"... I do have firefox installed on my iPhone though so maybe that's causing some issue?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Ever since the update when visiting the site via firefox, it looks like it's set to mobile or something.

Everything looks massive and overblown... not sure if the picture really translates that. Tried clearing cookies and deleting history, does the same thing on my work PC.
This is likely due to a Firefox extension that you're running. Try disabling your extensions and see if that fixes things.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I feel like the "extra large" font setting is still too small. Previously, I was running with Chrome at 150% zoom for my viewing distance. After this update, I set Chrome back to 100% zoom and changed the font setting to "extra large", and it didn't help much at all. It seems like too minor of an improvement, so I just went back to 150% zoom in Chrome.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, don't "strongly advise me to enable push notifications". It's just a forum, I don't need push notifications when I'm quoted. Lots of people browse this at work and that's literally the last thing I want.

Same here. In the end i had to accept the push notification since the pop-up kept coming back despite me saying don't remind me. I'll have to find a way to block them from android/chrome level.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry if this isn't the place to ask and sorry if I missed it in preferences. When I click the title of a thread I've clicked on before, I want to go to the OP. I understand why the feature exists, but I personally would click on the 2 if I wanted to go to the second page, third page, etc. I often will click on a thread and read one or two posts and then leave while meaning to come back to it. I don't want to automatically be taken to the first new post since I clicked since I often have many posts, if not pages of content I haven't read yet. Any way to set this is preferences?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Share was much wanted, as I often like sharing hilarious posts with friends that do not read Reset as much as I do.

I like the way the URL preview works, too. Very clean implementation. Great job!

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Expanded view with extra large font is LIFE. No more 200% browser zoom. Thank you.

I see you've added more sharing options too.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the titles on the sidebar like Gaming Forum, EtcetEra Hangouts, and Latest Threads are capitalized except for "Watched threads" which is lowercase and it's driving me nuts.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Notification feature works great for Vivaldi on Windows. I'm a huge fan of this update so far.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I don't know if it's been reported, but while holding my iOS phone in landscape I click on the "Quick Jump" menu at the top and see that "Watched Threads" at the bottom of the list can't fully display any more. It's horizontally cut in half.

As a related issue, I really would like to reorganize the Quick Jump menu. My most used option is Watched Threads, and in landscape mode I sometimes had to scroll the screen to select it even when it wasn't cut off as it is now.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I turned images and avatars off when I was on vacation and mostly using a mobile connection, but now I'm back and can't for the life of me get them to display again.

I've put all the checkmarks back in, turned auto detection off and on, even deleted all connections, images just won't come back.

According to the image options menu, my current connection is Chrome Dev 74.0.3729.157 on a Google Pixel running Android 9. Help!

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sadly the small text function just makes it even more obvious about how much space is wasted in this design compared to the previous one :-(

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Hi. This is, I'm sure, the edgiest of edge cases but the site displays as a full desktop version on my Windows 10 mobile on the Edge browser. And oddly nothing can be zoomed or clicked. I've never seen this happen to a website before! Have reset and cleared cache etc. Am aware that I might be the only person on the planet that this concerns though....

Thanks for all your hard work - site is otherwise fantastic.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Ahh, that fits i use that too. I'll give it another whirl and see if i can make Era usable again.
It's better but it's still trash to look at and the layout is all wonky due to huge lettering even at 75% scaling. If i drop the scaling further i just end up with a thin strip of forum down the middle of the screen like it's not filling the width of the browser. I'll give it another whirl later but i've tried all the buttons on ZPWE. :(
Let me know if you are still having problems getting it to work right. I now have the Era font size exactly how I want it, but you cannot do it using the website or Firefox's options because ZPWE will over ride a lot of what they try to do.

Nov 5, 2017
Bug: Dark mode can't be activated through hamburger menu on Safari on iOS anymore

Details:

I can't activate dark mode anymore through the hamburger menu on Safari on iOS on my iPhone X.

I have to scroll down, but the bottom navigation toolbar gets in the way.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:

OJrWsfj.jpg

I am running the latest version of Safari on iOS on my iPhone. iOS version: 12.2.

Thanks!

Any one else having this issue?

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any chance someone could fix this? it's an incredibly minor and petty complaint, but still, i have to admit it's driving me nuts

xjYRvSP.png

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Any chance we could change the meta tags for the site to make rich embeds look better in places like Discord? The excerpt descriptions tend to look pretty bad, especially since formatting and hyperlinks don't carry over.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether the advertising bug where new ads injecting themselves into the page would remove focus from the reply/input box (and often result in accidentally tapping on an ad when you're in the middle of replying), has been fixed?

I tried testing on Android latest and Chrome latest and didn't run into the bug, but I know it was hit or miss before. This was my biggest long-recurring bug report before, dozens had reported it but there was no reply about whether it was being worked on or not. Didn't see a change list or anything in the OP to confirm one way or another.

Otherwise, thanks for the effort you put into the site. I know it's frustrating to launch something new and generally be met with complaints, bugs, or requests for changes that are very niche... feels like effort goes unnoticed in those cases. But, appreciate the work you're putting into it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 5, 2017
That's a good one. FOr those who are stuck with this, you can toggle Dark/Light theme in your Profile preferences as well:

Obviously this isn't ideal, and you'd want everything to work across OS/Browsers, but that might help those for the time being.

Yeah, I have been doing this through the Account Preferences pane as well. Before the update, the hamburger was working fine, just FYI, no issues. And, now after the update, I am having this issue.

I am surprised not more people on iOS are having this issue...

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Please do not enable push notifications by default. And when I dismiss the message trying to get me to enable push notifications, please don't strongly advice me to enable them.

It's fine that it's an option, but please don't force it like this. I get that it's a feature you're enthusiastic about, but not everyone likes notifications. Personally, I hate them with a passion and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
Pretty much the only thing I came in this thread for so I don't want to dogpile too much. Keep up the updates and appreciate the work y'all are doing, but I got the note about push notifications about 10 separate times now and no thanks.

Other

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to disable the way external links are now handled and just see the raw link, no conversion? The new way of handling links is incredibly ugly and looks like embedded text ads

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it looks like opening spoilers on Firefox for Android is still causing the page to randomly jump back to the spoiler after scrolling away from it. It's really annoying this keeps happening.

Nov 3, 2017
Let me know if you are still having problems getting it to work right. I now have the Era font size exactly how I want it, but you cannot do it using the website or Firefox's options because ZPWE will over ride a lot of what they try to do.

Sorry i didn't reply earlier. Yes, i'm still having problems and if you have any settings or options i can use then please, let me know! Thanks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a bug, but just feedback to either be shelved, saved, or ignored 😊:

I feel like the link previews aren't helpful and make it more difficult to read a thread. THey break up the flow of a content and almost never add anything useful to the post. I know that this is the trend in social apps like Facebook or Twitter, but I feel like they're less helpful on a discussion-based website like this one. I wish that there were a way for me as a content writer to toggle whether I want link previews to show up in my posts.

(Edit, there may be a work around... if you use the Link button, and then paste the link in but do not add any text, it may work around the link preview... can't confirm ATM)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This ain't a bug, but I'm just wondering, is the way "searching by thread title" works backwards? The results are shown by the date threads were made, but not by the date of the last reply that was made, which I think would be more useful in some cases.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Not a bug but more a suggestion/request for a feature. It would be really cool if for OT and weekly threads (box office thread as an example), could be made into a "series" of threads so that if you watch a thread then when another thread is made in that series (ie. OT 1 > OT 2, BOT Week 1 > 2) you won't have to rewatch the new thread since you are watching the "series" rather than the specific thread. Hope that makes sense.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Ok so I have Media Player Classic on the background with a song paused and whenever I click on a push notification it's as if I had pushed the play button. I would apreciate some help here. Otherwise I would have to disable push notifications. Thanks

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Sorry i didn't reply earlier. Yes, i'm still having problems and if you have any settings or options i can use then please, let me know! Thanks.
For me, when I tried to manually increase or decrease (desktop) Firefox's zoom level here at Era with ZPWE enabled, it would not save the setting and always reset to 100% each time I loaded a new page at the site. So leave that alone.

Changing the font size within Era's setting does nothing, so don't expect much from that either.

Focus on ZPWE's options and it should work out in the end. First, note that there are two option menus in the add-on, not just one. The first is accessed by clicking on the add-on's icon in the toolbar at the top of the browser. Eight squares in two rows of four each comes up, and here's what I have...

<Top Row>: Reset...Auto...Text...Reset
You only need to make sure the second and third setting match what I have. If you choose "Full" instead of "Text" in the third box, your Era forum pages will become very skinny.

<Bottom Row>: 28px...-...63%...+
The first setting there is a max 28px because it only affects a few header titles like in the UI around the forum which will be VERY tiny unless this number is used to make it look close to normal. The plus and minus buttons affect the percentage in the third square. This is why you need the second option menu that I will discuss in a bit.

By default, if you select 30% it is the minimum, and clicking "+" will increase it by the determined amount in the order listed when you click the third box: 30, 50, 67, 80, 90 ,100, etc. But what if you want 40 or 63 or 77? To get other percentages, use the second option settings by going to: Firefox's Option Menu-->Add-Ons-->ZPWE Options.

Once this menu is up, select "Zoom Levels and Font Sizes", then go down to the Zoom In/Out section. Change it from "to the next level" to "by fixed step 10%". You don't have to use 10%... use any number you like. For me, setting it at 10% allows me to go back to the first menu, and if I want, say, 63% size I can select 133% from the bottom row and then click the "-" button seven times to make it come down to 63%. If I want 57%, I can select the 67% size and click the "-" button once to get it.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
joeblow Thanks! That has helped a lot. I must have hit every combo of options aside from those and i wouldn't have changed the 0pix setting which is the one that balances things out. Much appreciated, Era is looking much better now!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The site still has significant CPU usage in Firefox after clicking the post preview button, which doesn't go away until the page is reloaded or the tab is closed.
This happens on a clean profile in Firefox with no extensions installed, so it's not a conflict.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a bug, but just feedback to either be shelved, saved, or ignored 😊:

I feel like the link previews aren't helpful and make it more difficult to read a thread. THey break up the flow of a content and almost never add anything useful to the post. I know that this is the trend in social apps like Facebook or Twitter, but I feel like they're less helpful on a discussion-based website like this one. I wish that there were a way for me as a content writer to toggle whether I want link previews to show up in my posts.

(Edit, there may be a work around... if you use the Link button, and then paste the link in but do not add any text, it may work around the link preview... can't confirm ATM)

I think you can do this - here is a normal link, with preview:

Gaming Forum

The latest video game news, discussions, announcements, industry gossip, sales figures, bargains and reviews. The pulse of the gaming industry.

and here is one without:

https://www.resetera.com/forums/9/

You've got to enter the un-previewed link in BBcode, it looks like this:

Code:
[URL unfurl="false"]https://www.resetera.com/forums/9/[/URL]

or, the easy way is to post comment as normal with plain links in the text, then once it's posted and showing previews - immediately edit and the unfurl=true will have appeared in the bbcode view, where you may edit them to false 😃

I quite like them most of the time, but I read the OP of a review thread and that was a massive eyesore!

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Replying to or starting a thread has an issue on iPhones. Whenever I try to type the keyboard covers up the text so I cannot see what I'm typing. It takes several tries before the screen corrects itself. Please fix! Thanks.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using a browser and on the left menu there is an option that says Reveal Hidden. When I press it, many of the avatars reappear, but not all, and when I change the page they go back to hidden. How do I check if I've turned them off?
Under image and media options in your settings.