• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hello

this aint so much a tech thing, but i figure id might as well ask here

what's this star mean?

XOoD4uI.jpg

its the first time I've ever seen it, but im guessing its a new notification indicator or sommit?

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Bright yellow stars look like they're marking threads I've subscribed to... overboard for the unread feature.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The star seems pointless when a read alert already has "mark unread" next to it anyway making it obvious you already read it.

Also the star doesn't go away

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Star doesn't immediately go away after refreshing the thread. Annoying for threads that update quickly making you think that there was a new post.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there colour coding already? The stars not going away immediately makes it worse than before, not an improvement.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is a browser issue or something on my end but, 95% of youtube videos posted on the site will not work for me unless I click the title of the video and watch it directly on YouTube. I have had entire threads where each and every one will say "Video Unavailable". I have to refresh and watch the vid on youtube itself. Kind of annoying.

On android using chrome.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is a browser issue or something on my end but, 95% of youtube videos posted on the site will not work for me unless I click the title of the video and watch it directly on YouTube. I have had entire threads where each and every one will say "Video Unavailable". I have to refresh and watch the vid on youtube itself. Kind of annoying.

On android using chrome.
I've got this on Windows 10, using Firefox. Dunno if it's something on Youtube's end - I've heard they've done something related to embedding videos at specific time codes, so it might be a side effect of that.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The active user has changed. Reload the page for the latest version."

I had never seen this error before, but have now been getting it since yesterday.
Still getting this error today.

Not taking any chances I've activated two-step verification, but the error still shows up. So it's something on your end guys.

Edit: and again (this at the bottom):

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
The search function has been fucking with me for months and I finally caught at least one example in action.
Why doesn't search find the thread I'm looking for? Does it only go back a few months?
This should now be fixed.

Still getting this error today.

Not taking any chances I've activated two-step verification, but the error still shows up. So it's something on your end guys.

Edit: and again (this at the bottom):
Weird, I'm not aware of any changes that would be causing something like this. We'll look into it.

What device/OS is this happening on?

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since today (30 days of device use for the login were over now) I can't login on my phone with 2FA anymore. I always get this message when using the app and even the email code!

Gladly I'm still logged in on my PC to deactivate it or I couldn't post here anymore *phew*

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Firefox keeps giving me this message on Era, "The active user has changed. Reload the page for the latest version."

Oct 25, 2017
It shows up for me when searching titles only. Tested on multiple accounts.

r96iYQc.png

When I type sneak peak star wars like you did, it comes up. But that wasn't my search.
When I type sneak peak galaxy's edge, it doesn't.

The thread title is Sneak peak of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, so both should be valid searches, right? But one works and one doesn't.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
When I type sneak peak star wars like you did, it comes up. But that wasn't my search.
When I type sneak peak galaxy's edge, it doesn't.

The thread title is Sneak peak of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, so both should be valid searches, right? But one works and one doesn't.
Okay I see what the problem is. There are two types of apostrophes and, because you weren't using the same one in the title, it threw off the search.

wSNcJm6.png

There might be some steps we can take to improve how the search handles this, and we will try. But even if it works we'll need to rebuild the index again.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I see what the problem is. There are two types of apostrophes and, because you weren't using the same one in the title, it threw off the search.

wSNcJm6.png

There might be some steps we can take to improve how the search handles this, and we will try. But even if it works we'll need to rebuild the index again.

Weird. How does that work out? Different region keyboard layouts or something?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. How does that work out? Different region keyboard layouts or something?
iu

On this layout there's a single quote ( ' - that most people use I think) on the key to the left of enter (with the @ symbol) and a backtick (`) on the key beneath the escape key. I've seen both used, so I'm guessing that's what is meant here.

A bit more info here too.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Hm, after installing latest Firefox 68 (now 68.0.1) I'm not getting unread threads bolded for some reason. At least, I assume that's the correlation, have not tried to downgrade to see. Yeah, Chrome is working fine. I run with private browsing always on, no third party cookies, etc., so fairly secure posture, but nothing like custom Greasemonkey scripts or anything, fairly vanilla beyond that private browsing setup. Let me know if there's anything useful I can furnish to help diagnose.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, after installing latest Firefox 68 (now 68.0.1) I'm not getting unread threads bolded for some reason. At least, I assume that's the correlation, have not tried to downgrade to see. Yeah, Chrome is working fine. I run with private browsing always on, no third party cookies, etc., so fairly secure posture, but nothing like custom Greasemonkey scripts or anything, fairly vanilla beyond that private browsing setup. Let me know if there's anything useful I can furnish to help diagnose.
I have this, but intermittently. Sometimes it seems to be bolded, other times less so (there's still a difference, but it's very slight from the normal font).

Windows 10, Firefox 68.0.1.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I have this, but intermittently. Sometimes it seems to be bolded, other times less so (there's still a difference, but it's very slight from the normal font).
On closer inspection it seems to be an entirely different font that is the cause, with very light bolding. No idea how the font got rotated. I don't see anything in the Firefox 68 release notes offhand.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
How do I sort my search results by starting from the oldest post? Is there a way to sort my search results that way?

I tried using both date options in advanced search, but they both sort results starting with the latest post.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
This seems to have been a long-standing problem, but I'm not getting alerts most of the time. I came on the site today and had no alerts, when I should've had, like, 6 based on my watched topics. Does anyone know of a fix?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
is there a way to get the content to fill the whole width of the page when you hide the sidebars on the left and right? i could have sworn i used to be able to get it to expand all the way. currently, there is empty space on both sides even when i have hidden the two sidebars.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
This seems to have been a long-standing problem, but I'm not getting alerts most of the time. I came on the site today and had no alerts, when I should've had, like, 6 based on my watched topics. Does anyone know of a fix?
By default; Alerts are only sent if you re-visit the thread after each alert. Under https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences#alerts enable "Persistent Alerts Enabled" and it'll keep throwing alerts at you as long as you have no unread alerts for a thread.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a trick to using the dark theme and reveal hidden images buttons in the menu on iPhone Safari? Trying to tap those buttons brings up the bottom navigation bar on Safari which makes it impossible to actually hit the links.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Firefox keeps giving me this message on Era, "The active user has changed. Reload the page for the latest version."
Getting this too, along with a new error that says "Oops! We ran into some problems. Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again."

This occurs whenever I leave a thread page idle for a minute or two, then try to post. PC/Windows/Firefox

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I experience some really annoying rubberbanding when opening a spoiler tag or typing a post where I'll scroll away from either only to be eventually jumped back to the post i was typing or the open spoiler tag i read. This is on android firefox.

Another annoyance is when typing up a post then choosing to delete it the autosave feature makes it persist until you post a different post in tbe thread which is kind of annoying too. Perhaps we could switch that over to a manual function that you turn on and off per post rather than have it be automatic and universal.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I experience some really annoying rubberbanding when opening a spoiler tag or typing a post where I'll scroll away from either only to be eventually jumped back to the post i was typing or the open spoiler tag i read. This is on android firefox.
This has been happening for me on Firefox for Android for a while, too. It's very annoying because it's easy to lose my place when it happens.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I've also been getting the message for ages about the active user changing. Firefox, Mac OS Mojave.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Any news regarding fixing the bug on iOS, Safari, iphone 5/SE which automatically enables/pushes the "reading mode" option available in the upper left corner of the web search field whenever i enter a thread (75% chance)?

I'm on Black Theme and then it becomes black text on white as usual in reading mode, and pictures and certain quores dissappear. I have to wait for the site to load fully and then re-enable non-reading mode.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Ads loading and bouncing the page around just caused me to post a reply half way through writing it. It sucks.

Nov 8, 2017
I used to be able to leave a thread and it would come back to the last post that I had not yet looked at. Now when I come back to a thread it assumes I've read all posts on that page and jumps me to the top of the next page. It no longer remembers which post I left off on and assumes that every single post on that page number has been read. This is on Safari 12.1.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6.