• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Why does the search suck SO badly? If I want to search for Succession and select search thread titles only.. why do I get an absolute shitload of threads (10 pages worth) with the actual result I want not being reflected? Even if I use quotes around it.. same issue. What is going on with search? Why does it not follow easy parameters?

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the search suck SO badly? If I want to search for Succession and select search thread titles only.. why do I get an absolute shitload of threads (10 pages worth) with the actual result I want not being reflected? Even if I use quotes around it.. same issue. What is going on with search? Why does it not follow easy parameters?
It looks like it's no longer an exact matches based search (and there seems to be no way to force that through quotes, +, AND or whatever) but a loose relevance based one. Sorting the results by relevance puts the good results first and all the stupid useless partial matches that nobody wants later. Sorting by relevance is useless by itself though since normally one would want to get the most recent matches (which is also the default sorting order) for which the current search is a complete misfit.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I do apologize if this has been raised before, but it's 4 5 6 o'clock in the morning and my freaking brain just won't let me go back to sleep until I've put my thoughts to paper, so to speak... so here goes.

I'd rate the severity of the problem as "mild, but annoying" and "100% OCD-unfriendly".

The issue is the following, in human-friendly terms:

The resetera editor component wastes bandwidth.

The Resetera editor for the Text Input area above the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page is a javascript giant with a whopping 400+ Kilobyte file size, even minified (made smaller with some coding/formatting tricks). While a pared down "mobile" version of the page without avatars and whatnot still easily goes above 1 Megabyte, that's nonetheless a hefty chunk of the bandwidth wasted on useless stuff.

It's a teensy bit on the obese side for a friggen BBTAG editor anyway, if you ask me, but at least there's caching to save us - meaning we only need to grab that fat bastard during the first time we visit resetera. Future requests will just keep using the already downloaded monster, right? Well... yes... but there's some issues.
  • The server (/cloudflare?) intentionally(?) does not support resuming of this file, so even if you grab 399999 of the total 400000 delicious bytes of javascript goodness before the cheap Hotel Wifi disconnects you for a fraction of a nanosecond, you have to download the entire thing again. Even though only a single byte is missing. Heck, tell it you already have the file and it'll send it over anyway, just in case.
  • Plus, it doesn't report the file size so your Browser has to guess how much longer it has to slurp the entire page. This makes the progress bar unreliable whenever the editor has to be downloaded, among other things. Small issue, but hey.
  • The server (/cloudflare) also advises the Browser that the editor can be considered usable for only exactly four hours via cache control headers (which are sent along as you download the file). If you load a resetera thread and wait four hours and one second before pressing reload, the entire nigh-half-megabyte monstrosity will be downloaded again. Every four hours, the Browser has to grab it again, regardless of whether it has been changed since. Now... I dunno about you folks, but I have slight doubts that the xenforo post editor is such a hot&fresh item that we absolutely need three updates a day in case a new feature pops up. It has a version tag at the end anyway (the ?_v bit in its address if you scroll down), so newer versions would likely have a distinct URL anyway, thereby negating the sole advantage of a short cache lifetime.
So that means that mobile users, even with the forum account set to "cellular", will have to expect at least one Megabyte of rather needless bandwidth wastage per day if they browse Resetera during their commute to/from work. Probably more, in case the download gets interrupted. Which isn't exactly unlikely, with mobile connectivity on public transport being spotty at times (tunnels and cell handovers). It's a rather odd design decision, if it is one.

The nitty gritty:

How to check/reproduce using wget:
To illustrate the inability to resume downloads, run this command twice.

You may opt to omgwtfbbq the download during the first run by pressing CTRL&C quickly enough to get a "properly truncated" copy of the editor.js file. Then run again to attempt to resume the download.
Don't worry though, even if it's completely downloaded, Resetera's server doesn't give a fuck and just shovels out the entire thing anyway.

Bash:
wget "https://www.resetera.com/js/xf/editor-compiled.js?_v=4839d74b" -O editor.js -o editorlog.txt -S -d -c
This will attempt to grab the full file or at least the remaining bits of the current version of the editor, and dump it together with a suuuuper wordy logfile in your current working directory. For less wall-of-text-iness try -v instead of -d, but you'll lose out on some info.

The theory:

This is what the average browser would send in case of a resume attempt (I've stripped out most headers since they're not relevant to the issues):
GET /js/xf/editor-compiled.js?_v=4839d74b HTTP/1.1
Range: bytes=426408-
(in this case, requesting to resume from a fully downloaded file)
And this is the similarly vastly truncated response from the cloudflare-proxy'd server:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: application/javascript
Connection: keep-alive
Last-Modified: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 04:52:22 GMT
ETag: W/"681a8-593312f7b6d50-gzip"
Expires: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 05:47:19 GMT
Cache-Control: public, max-age=14400
I've taken the liberty to highlight the bits that cause some of the issues.

The server replies that the file has been located on its end (200) and will be sent in its entirety, pretending to never have gotten the Range request from the Browser - the correct response for a partial file would be 206, or 304 if the file has been unchanged/complete.

It furthermore doesn't report file size, so the Browser can't compare that to the file it has and go "oh, same size, I must have it already", while also denying it the ability to accurately predict how much of the page has been downloaded already.

Last but not least, it recommends a lifetime of 14400 seconds in the cache, which is exactly four hours. By the way, the reply also reveals that the current editor is roughly 5 days old. The more you know.jpg

This is all kind of weird. Seems like it's intentional, maybe? But why?

The external bla:

https://www.codebyamir.com/blog/a-web-developers-guide-to-browser-caching - a very quick and easy summary of the HTTP caching headers/mechanism for those with passing interest.

https://developers.google.com/web/f...ce/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching - a bit more in-depth.

Now, why is this "noteworthy"?

First, it's a waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.

Second, the huge editor component not loading reliably causes usage issues: The entire post editor text entry area does not show up, you have no way to create or edit a post unless you reload the page. Basically, there's just the Post Reply and Preview buttons and nothing else down at the bottom of the page. Read-only Resetera. 'tis annoying and has happened to me on occasion.

Edit: Improved readability. Now off to sl... why is it half past seven already ajvduasjdfiajvcibadcijdk

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
This thread Doesn't show up in the gaming forum for me (even when I am 100% sure it shiuld be there and in the first page)
I found it only because someone sent a link in the Luigi's Mansion preview thread. And now that I think about it, I think it happened the same thing with the Outer Worlds review thread, because I couldn't find it anywhere, and it felt weird that there was no such thread for that game. It randomply appeared maybe the day after

Even immediately after I posted in that thread, it doesn't show up. And there are up to "10 minutes ago" threads right now in the gaming forum first page.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Threadmarks don't display
correctly if this char is in the username. It looks like this:

Example: https://www.resetera.com/threads/gi...taking-advantage.146771/page-16#post-25430445
Fixed

This being bug or not really depends on your world view, but can we get search function to this site that returns results that have anything to do with search parameter? No matter if you use "" or + or nothing at all and results have absolutely nothing do with what you are actually looking for. For some reason I always to back to using it expecting something different.

TL:DR: Can we fix search function and have it return results matching made search?

dmNSXTq.png
The auto-complete search is different from the full search, it uses words-fragment to find threads which may match to support search-as-you-type. I've enabled the option for this type of search which boosts exact text matches up in the search results; but this means results are not ordered in date relevancy.

A search update is being rolled out which fixes an issue which made the "search titles only" option not work as expected for the full search.

I do apologize if this has been raised before, but it's 4 5 6 o'clock in the morning and my freaking brain just won't let me go back to sleep until I've put my thoughts to paper, so to speak... so here goes.

I'd rate the severity of the problem as "mild, but annoying" and "100% OCD-unfriendly".

The issue is the following, in human-friendly terms:

The resetera editor component wastes bandwidth.

The Resetera editor for the Text Input area above the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page is a javascript giant with a whopping 400+ Kilobyte file size, even minified (made smaller with some coding/formatting tricks). While a pared down "mobile" version of the page without avatars and whatnot still easily goes above 1 Megabyte, that's nonetheless a hefty chunk of the bandwidth wasted on useless stuff.

It's a teensy bit on the obese side for a friggen BBTAG editor anyway, if you ask me, but at least there's caching to save us - meaning we only need to grab that fat bastard during the first time we visit resetera. Future requests will just keep using the already downloaded monster, right? Well... yes... but there's some issues.
  • The server (/cloudflare?) intentionally(?) does not support resuming of this file, so even if you grab 399999 of the total 400000 delicious bytes of javascript goodness before the cheap Hotel Wifi disconnects you for a fraction of a nanosecond, you have to download the entire thing again. Even though only a single byte is missing. Heck, tell it you already have the file and it'll send it over anyway, just in case.
  • Plus, it doesn't report the file size so your Browser has to guess how much longer it has to slurp the entire page. This makes the progress bar unreliable whenever the editor has to be downloaded, among other things. Small issue, but hey.
  • The server (/cloudflare) also advises the Browser that the editor can be considered usable for only exactly four hours via cache control headers (which are sent along as you download the file). If you load a resetera thread and wait four hours and one second before pressing reload, the entire nigh-half-megabyte monstrosity will be downloaded again. Every four hours, the Browser has to grab it again, regardless of whether it has been changed since. Now... I dunno about you folks, but I have slight doubts that the xenforo post editor is such a hot&fresh item that we absolutely need three updates a day in case a new feature pops up. It has a version tag at the end anyway (the ?_v bit in its address if you scroll down), so newer versions would likely have a distinct URL anyway, thereby negating the sole advantage of a short cache lifetime.
So that means that mobile users, even with the forum account set to "cellular", will have to expect at least one Megabyte of rather needless bandwidth wastage per day if they browse Resetera during their commute to/from work. Probably more, in case the download gets interrupted. Which isn't exactly unlikely, with mobile connectivity on public transport being spotty at times (tunnels and cell handovers). It's a rather odd design decision, if it is one.

The nitty gritty:

How to check/reproduce using wget:
To illustrate the inability to resume downloads, run this command twice.

You may opt to omgwtfbbq the download during the first run by pressing CTRL&C quickly enough to get a "properly truncated" copy of the editor.js file. Then run again to attempt to resume the download.
Don't worry though, even if it's completely downloaded, Resetera's server doesn't give a fuck and just shovels out the entire thing anyway.

Bash:
wget "https://www.resetera.com/js/xf/editor-compiled.js?_v=4839d74b" -O editor.js -o editorlog.txt -S -d -c
This will attempt to grab the full file or at least the remaining bits of the current version of the editor, and dump it together with a suuuuper wordy logfile in your current working directory. For less wall-of-text-iness try -v instead of -d, but you'll lose out on some info.

The theory:

This is what the average browser would send in case of a resume attempt (I've stripped out most headers since they're not relevant to the issues):

(in this case, requesting to resume from a fully downloaded file)
And this is the similarly vastly truncated response from the cloudflare-proxy'd server:

I've taken the liberty to highlight the bits that cause some of the issues.

The server replies that the file has been located on its end (200) and will be sent in its entirety, pretending to never have gotten the Range request from the Browser - the correct response for a partial file would be 206, or 304 if the file has been unchanged/complete.

It furthermore doesn't report file size, so the Browser can't compare that to the file it has and go "oh, same size, I must have it already", while also denying it the ability to accurately predict how much of the page has been downloaded already.

Last but not least, it recommends a lifetime of 14400 seconds in the cache, which is exactly four hours. By the way, the reply also reveals that the current editor is roughly 5 days old. The more you know.jpg

This is all kind of weird. Seems like it's intentional, maybe? But why?

The external bla:

https://www.codebyamir.com/blog/a-web-developers-guide-to-browser-caching - a very quick and easy summary of the HTTP caching headers/mechanism for those with passing interest.

https://developers.google.com/web/f...ce/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching - a bit more in-depth.

Now, why is this "noteworthy"?

First, it's a waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.

Second, the huge editor component not loading reliably causes usage issues: The entire post editor text entry area does not show up, you have no way to create or edit a post unless you reload the page. Basically, there's just the Post Reply and Preview buttons and nothing else down at the bottom of the page. Read-only Resetera. 'tis annoying and has happened to me on occasion.

Edit: Improved readability. Now off to sl... why is it half past seven already ajvduasjdfiajvcibadcijdk
This is a holdover from the initial setup of the site; the caching headers applied by cloudflare has been adjusted from 4 hours to 1 month. All dynamic content is pushed with no-cache headers (which CF respects), and all static-ish content gets slapped with version/cache buster strings so this is a safe change.

For some reason, I can't post in any threads at the moment on Chrome (Windows 10). This is what I see in place of the text window:

I can't interact with it at all, and pressing Post Replay just triggers an error because I can't input any text to post.

Everything works fine on Firefox and Safari (which is the only reason I'm even able to make this post).

Clear your browser cache, this happens sometimes where your browser caches broken javascript. Normally it is firefox managing it.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broken text cursor is happening at increasing frequency. I haven't noticed any ad connection - the blinking cursor in forms just stops working with mouse. You can use arrow keys to move it, but not the mouse to place it - although right click will still work if the cursor is at txt when you press.

Cause: Unclear but appears to be for duration of session after hitting "reply"
Behavior: Cursor works with keyboard controls but cannot be placed using mouse/trackpad.
Severity: Vaguely confusing. Not as bad as Hitler, but worse than Joe Rogan on religious philosophy. Not as bad as Neil DeGrasse Tyson hosting a panel and interrupting proper experts. But worse than Bill Maher bothsidesing.
Fix: New form or refresh.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
This is a holdover from the initial setup of the site; the caching headers applied by cloudflare has been adjusted from 4 hours to 1 month. All dynamic content is pushed with no-cache headers (which CF respects), and all static-ish content gets slapped with version/cache buster strings so this is a safe change.
The caching change will make browsing resetera in areas with crappy-ass reception way smoother. Much appreciated. ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

Now, about that resume support... nah, just kidding. With the files staying in cache for that long, all the other stuff loses importance.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
The auto-complete search is different from the full search, it uses words-fragment to find threads which may match to support search-as-you-type. I've enabled the option for this type of search which boosts exact text matches up in the search results; but this means results are not ordered in date relevancy.
Can't we have a way to get only exact matches, and those correctly ordered by date? For both searches?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Performance on mobile is god awful. I wish I could take a video to show how bad it is. I've tried chrome and Firefox (on a pixel 1), they all have the same problem. It's slow to scroll, typing a post (I'm doing it now) is is torture. I can't even tell if it's typing anything right now, the text box just isn't updating... Oh as it turns out it was typing! Just blinked in all at once.

Is there a light version of the forum I can use, because, yowza.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there a way to ignore a thread directly from the board page (instead of opening the thread and selecting the button at the top), and if not can we have one please?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's just a me/ phone prob (Android), or a website/ Ad problem, but the solar panel Ad seems to have an abnormally large footprint, popping up even with my finger squarely on the link back to the main discussion page at the bottom of a page.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Performance on mobile is god awful. I wish I could take a video to show how bad it is. I've tried chrome and Firefox (on a pixel 1), they all have the same problem. It's slow to scroll, typing a post (I'm doing it now) is is torture. I can't even tell if it's typing anything right now, the text box just isn't updating... Oh as it turns out it was typing! Just blinked in all at once.

Is there a light version of the forum I can use, because, yowza.
I've made some changes which might help a little; but previous experience indicates you probably have an old mobile device where javascript performance isn't great.

Try disabling the rich-text editor as well (click the 'cog' icon on the editor, disables most of the crazy editing bits).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I have two problems going on with Firefox these days (running on 70.1 right now)

1- I haven't been able to see Instragram embed for a while now. I have checked and the problem doesn't appear to be caused by any of my addons.

Here is what I see when someone embed an Instagram post

EHWAAAT.png

If I inspect the element I see this:

qWjyRei.png

Notice the src link showing as src="//www.instagram.com/p/B4s_WDkBIb5/embed/captioned/?cr=1&wp=540". Looks like the site might be adding those extra // at the beginning of the link which is probably what is breaking it?

2-Smaller issue but I have noticed that, no matter where my text cursor is situated within my reply (at the very beginning or multiple paragraphs in), if I insert an image it will always show up at the very beginning of the post. I then have to manually drag it down to the correct position within my post. Not a super big deal but still annoying.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've made some changes which might help a little; but previous experience indicates you probably have an old mobile device where javascript performance isn't great.

Try disabling the rich-text editor as well (click the 'cog' icon on the editor, disables most of the crazy editing bits).
Noted, and will do!

But I don't understand why a Pixel 1 would be too old to handle this website. I know that's it's a few years old at this point, but...

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully not just me, but images seem to be displaying on desktop even though I have show images and show media disabled in the image options.

Came here to report that.

A quick fix would be much appreciated, stealth browsing at work is a lot harder with flashing gifs everywhere.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm also having problems with my image options. Should be noted it's just images that are showing despite my settings saying they should be hidden. Media and avatar settings are working fine.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I've mentioned this twice in the past but it seems to be worse and happens more frequently nowadays. I'm on iPhone 6s/safari and whenever you open a thread in a new tab there's almost a 50/50 change the same page loads in the parent tab as well.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
So I've mentioned this twice in the past but it seems to be worse and happens more frequently nowadays. I'm on iPhone 6s/safari and whenever you open a thread in a new tab there's almost a 50/50 change the same page loads in the parent tab as well.
This isn't something I do often, but I've just tested it on half a dozen links and this didn't happen for me. iOS 13.2.2 on iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I'm just long pressing the link and selecting new tab.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Yeah, I'm also having problems with my image options. Should be noted it's just images that are showing despite my settings saying they should be hidden. Media and avatar settings are working fine.

Yeah, just chiming in that I'm having the same problem on my mobile. Media/avatars are still not showing up but pictures/gifs are loading in even though they're supposed to be turned off. Ate up a lot of my data accidentally before I realized what was happening.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Has it been noted that certain input fields are completely broken on mobile? I'm on Android and using Firefox.
Trying to search, for example, brings up the keyboard, then instantly loses focus. Even the insert image and link functions are completely broken. I can get as far as pasting a link I thr box that pops up. Then it instantly closes and doesn't add anything.
And there are also some other focus annoyances like if I expand a spoiler and scroll down, after a while I'll get scrolled back up to the button.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hi. As of today, "Hide Images" is broken, at least on my account.
  • I logged out and logged back in.
  • I unchecked the checkbox, saved, re-checked, saved.
  • I deleted my "registered computer".
  • I tried in incognito mode
  • I tried on my phone
Avatars, covers, and media are all correctly hidden. It's only images that aren't hidden anymore.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what changed, but I can't click images to view them full size any more. Desktop site in Firefox/Chrome.
The gallery function has never worked properly (letting you cycle through all images on a page) so they always displayed as "1/1" and had to be manually closed/reopened one by one too.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm having some issues on my iPhone 11 in Safari for iOS 13.2.2. When I open threads in the a new background tab (using long press) they always bring me to a more recent post/page. Even for brand new threads I've never read. Anyone else having this issue or know if I'm doing something wrong?

Treefrog

Oct 30, 2017
I'm having some issues on my iPhone 11 in Safari for iOS 13.2.2. When I open threads in the a new background tab (using long press) they always bring me to a more recent post/page. Even for brand new threads I've never read. Anyone else having this issue or know if I'm doing something wrong?
This has been happening to me as well.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
This has been happening to me as well.
This isn't something I generally do, but can confirm I get the same behaviour after a few test links. iPhone 11 Pro Max / Safari / iOS 13.2.2.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Did picpar (pic par, if that gets turned into a bunch of asterixis) get banned from the site? I tried to embed an image just now, and it appears in my post as the text of the URL with the "picpar" part asterixed out.

That site has been my go-to image host for years :(

Dec 22, 2017
iphone 7 13.2.2

Minor annoyance:
Going between tabs refreshes the page and moves from where I was reading.

Major annoyance:
Page refreshes or crashes while replying to posts, and clears the text box. Clicking back and reply again has what I wrote saved as draft. This is happening more and more.

Dec 22, 2017
iphone 7 13.2.2

Minor annoyance:
Going between tabs refreshes the page and moves from where I was reading.

Major annoyance:
Page refreshes or crashes while replying to posts, and clears the text box. Clicking back and reply again has what I wrote saved as draft. This is happening more and more.

Updated to 13.2.3 and the problem seems to have gone away. I wonder if it was performance issues related to this:

Code:
Fixes an issue that could prevent apps from downloading content in the background

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Did picpar (pic par, if that gets turned into a bunch of asterixis) get banned from the site? I tried to embed an image just now, and it appears in my post as the text of the URL with the "picpar" part asterixed out.

That site has been my go-to image host for years :(

Huh I just noticed this too when posting an image. Any reason why it was banned?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't tell if this is an ERA problem or a YouTube problem, but nearly every embedded video now says "Video Unavailable" when I try to play them, as if the video had been removed. But I can view them on YouTube itself just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if this is an ERA problem or a YouTube problem, but nearly every embedded video now says "Video Unavailable" when I try to play them, as if the video had been removed. But I can view them on YouTube itself just fine. Anyone else have this issue?
I think that happens to everyone. IIRC that's done by the video uploader, it forces you to watch it on YouTube (and contribute to their metrics). It's annoying, but you can work around it.

Though sometimes it just means the vid is region-restricted and you can't watch it at all But that feels a lot more rare.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i can't open the site on a phone anymore. no matter what browser i use. it's just this site no other site is affected. am i the only one?

tested it on 2 devices and both don't work.

Last edited:

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Etcetera forum threads dont show up for me. I have to press 'show ignored content' at the bottom to see them.
Thought maybe I accidentally changed something in settings, but I dont see any option there.
The Etcetera forums section also doesnt show up on the homepage.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
What is the maximum file size for cover images?
When uploading/modifying a cover image in a thread you made, the following advice is shown: "It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 1000x600 pixels."
But even when I try to upload some images with a lower resolution than that, the file size is still too big and I get the error: "The uploaded file is too large."

I also tried to use a different image. Apparently this image was not too large, but instead I got a different error: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

Also, it would be helpful if an option was added to resize the cover image as well, rather than just 'drag to reposition cover' (not a bug just a thought)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Etcetera forum threads dont show up for me. I have to press 'show ignored content' at the bottom to see them.
Thought maybe I accidentally changed something in settings, but I dont see any option there.
The Etcetera forums section also doesnt show up on the homepage.
It's possible to ignore a whole forum, you've probably done that (many others have). Click the "unignore forum" button near the top to change it back.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a known issue with the site and Safari? At LEAST once a day, an era tab will crash the entire browser. It happens on my ipad pro 10.2 inch (with lastest update) and macbook pro (1 update behind).