• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the update wonked up the sizing.
9QtNvYT.png

I've already updated my theme to fix the padding on the navigation buttons. If you notice any other weirdness after you update please let me know.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason that stylish just stops working sometimes? I have this theme installed, it works fine, then just stops working at random times. Stylish shows "You still don't have themes installed for this site. Go to the Library to find and install themes." and I'm stuck with the horrible unskinnned site.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Iso I no longer have "unread/read" logo next to threads, did something happen to the theme or did the site change something?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The userstyles website seems to be loading super slowly. If you manage to get it to load, you should be able to update with the fix.
userstyles.org

Themes & Skins for the World's Top Websites

Stylish, the world’s largest website theme library, letting you personalize your favorite sites.

I replaced the old URL with this one for now... https://www.resetera.com/styles/resetera/resetera/images/logo-color-dark.svg
Seems to work.

Much appreciated!

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's amazing how much not having an unread marker next to threads ruins browsing this site for me. I'm so used to glancing to the left of my screen on my subscription page that not having it there makes me not want to read the site at all. lol

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The userstyles website seems to be loading super slowly. If you manage to get it to load, you should be able to update with the fix.
userstyles.org

Themes & Skins for the World's Top Websites

Stylish, the world’s largest website theme library, letting you personalize your favorite sites.

I replaced the old URL with this one for now... https://www.resetera.com/styles/resetera/resetera/images/logo-color-dark.svg
Seems to work.

should consider distributing a .user.css file somewhere like github to get around userstyles.org sucking ass

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of that before. I'll have to look into it. I'm assuming it's this here?

github.com

UserCSS

Stylus - Userstyles Manager. Contribute to openstyles/stylus development by creating an account on GitHub.

yup. it's basically just a standard CSS file with some metadata in a comment block up top for things like the style name, author, user-configurable variables, and a URL to where you're hosting it so you can support auto-updates. compatible with stylus for chrome/firefox, which is what most people should be using.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
yup. it's basically just a standard CSS file with some metadata in a comment block up top for things like the style name, author, user-configurable variables, and a URL to where you're hosting it so you can support auto-updates. compatible with stylus for chrome/firefox, which is what most people should be using.
This looks pretty cool although I have one thing I'll need to figure out. Most of my user-configured variables are more like entire code blocks I am removing or adding from the CSS. The examples all seem to show it being used to replace a single variable (font color/family/etc...). Going to look into it either way, as like you mentioned, userstyles kinda sucks.

Edit: And of course the second I hit post I realize you can use checkboxes with if statements... That might help with some of the issues with inserting entire blocks.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks pretty cool although I have one thing I'll need to figure out. Most of my user-configured variables are more like entire code blocks I am removing or adding from the CSS. The examples all seem to show it being used to replace a single variable (font color/family/etc...). Going to look into it either way, as like you mentioned, userstyles kinda sucks.

Edit: And of course the second I hit post I realize you can use checkboxes with if statements... That might help with some of the issues with inserting entire blocks.

you can totally do entire blocks of code in usercss variables. there's some more detail here:
github.com

UserCSS authors

Stylus - Userstyles Manager. Contribute to openstyles/stylus development by creating an account on GitHub.

just need to use backticks (`) to wrap multi-line blocks for variable values.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
you can totally do entire blocks of code in usercss variables. there's some more detail here:
github.com

UserCSS authors

just need to use backticks (`) to wrap multi-line blocks for variable values.
Been messing around this evening... Think I have it working! Here is a link to the repo.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Thanks for the explanation!
A number of us built our own themes in the first couple months of the sites life when no Dark theme existed. Once the site added one, I was already so used to my own that I have continued to maintain it throughout the various site updates. I know a few people here still use mine so this topic gets bumped occasionally when something breaks.

Also I just really enjoy mucking about with CSS :)

Schrade

Oct 25, 2017
Why the heck has this thread been revived? ResetERA already has a nice dark theme!
If you look at the pictures in this thread and compare them to the current dark theme you should be able to see just how much better this theme is.

The default Era dark theme is atrocious and busy and cluttered and bloated.

The hard work of the folks in this thread made the forum quite a bit easier to read and navigate.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Still using this dark theme as I prefer it to the built-in dark theme.

I have a question for those that are better at CSS than me - is there a way to have this custom theme's default "hide avatars" behaviour, while still having the "OP" indicator somewhere on their posts?

By default the OP ribbon appears inside the avatar wrapper class, so this theme's default:

Code:
.message-avatar-wrapper {
    display:none;
}

will also hide the OP indicator. I had a look at the site's default hide avatars behaviour, and that doesn't compress the space the avatars would take up, meaning it moves usernames down from the top of posts, which looks ugly. So ideally, I'd like to retain this unofficial theme's way of hiding avatars, while displaying the "OP" indicator/ribbon on posts somewhere (maybe under the member/banned/etc text, or next to the OP's username). Is that something that's doable?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not amazing at CSS but you could possibly use the not() psuedo-selector.

The rule would look something like this if I'm understanding you correctly:

CSS:
.message-avatar-wrapper:not(.indicator) {
    display:none;
}

developer.mozilla.org

:not() - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN

The :not() CSS pseudo-class represents elements that do not match a list of selectors. Since it prevents specific items from being selected, it is known as the negation pseudo-class.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
No idea if these thread labels are going to remain, but I've added in a new option to hide them on my theme. I've tweaked the Official Thread label so far, might tweak the others eventually.
I'm not updating or maintaining the userstyles.org version anymore, it literally takes me 10-20 minutes to login and have the pages load. From now on go here:

github.com

GitHub - mgreger/ResetEra_Dark: A dark theme for ResetEra.

A dark theme for ResetEra. Contribute to mgreger/ResetEra_Dark development by creating an account on GitHub.

There is a button you can click to install, and I have a screenshot on how to check for updates when I make changes. Anyways, I'm off to bed, good timing on this update 😃

Looks like we're going to need an update to disable the new junk. 😟
lol.

Edit: Once installed, you click on the Stylus extension icon, then the gear next to my custom theme name. You'll get this dropdown and the option is here.

157iOy9.png

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we're going to need an update to disable the new junk. 😟
Yeah this new junk sucks. Titles aren't in line with each other anymore, annoying to try and scan thread titles down the page now.
If these prefix labels came after the title instead I might be okay with it, but not like this.
And I think the only potentially useful label is "official topic." What's the point of labeling something news? Is that helping anything? That's like 90% of topics.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Dark theme creators/gods, your heroism is needed again. Please... Give us a way to turn these awful tags prefixed to threads off.

Hot damn, nevermind. You guys work fast! Will give this a try tonight.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Dark theme creators/gods, your heroism is needed again. Please... Give us a way to turn these awful tags prefixed to threads off.
IDK if you're using my theme, but if so I posted an update a few posts up. Otherwise you should be able to turn them off in your era account settings I think.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Iso is there a reason I'm getting this large gap where the thread labels used to be? The gap isn't there when looking at my watched threads list but is on the latest thread list as well as the normal board lists. The only change I did to your theme was removing the read logo with "opacity(0%)".

EDIT: Never mind, it was the Hide Threads script fucking it up.

Last edited:

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No idea if these thread labels are going to remain, but I've added in a new option to hide them on my theme. I've tweaked the Official Thread label so far, might tweak the others eventually.
I'm not updating or maintaining the userstyles.org version anymore, it literally takes me 10-20 minutes to login and have the pages load. From now on go here:

github.com

A dark theme for ResetEra. Contribute to mgreger/ResetEra_Dark development by creating an account on GitHub.

There is a button you can click to install, and I have a screenshot on how to check for updates when I make changes. Anyways, I'm off to bed, good timing on this update 😃

lol.

Edit: Once installed, you click on the Stylus extension icon, then the gear next to my custom theme name. You'll get this dropdown and the option is here.

157iOy9.png

Awesome! Thanks for this, and for all the hard work you and the others have done for these themes. Really appreciated.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

github.com

lol.

157iOy9.png
Great theme! One suggestion I'd just like to make is maybe having some font customization options in the menu? It's no problem for me digging through the CSS but having something user-facing might be helpful.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Great theme! One suggestion I'd just like to make is maybe having some font customization options in the menu? It's no problem for me digging through the CSS but having something user-facing might be helpful.
Lol!
I'm actually poking around with font stuff right now. Apparently Firefox doesn't support plain "Helvetica" so I've gone back to the site default font-family, which is defaulting to roboto.
I just added the new option. By default it shows the normal site's font-family. If you want the old font I had, just clear the box and type "Helvetica".
Having more options like the default is only really necessary for CSS spanning multiple devices/browsers so you've covered your bases on what fonts each platform supports. If you're just on a single platform you can just replace it with a single font.

Edit: I could also make it a pre-defined drop down, instead of manually having to type in the font. I'd need to add popular choices and I don't know many outside of Roboto and Helvetica. I'm stuck in my ways and always prefer Helvetica lol.

Default:
ObAinCq.png

Back to how I had it pre-this change:
moPXyL9.png

Number45 Sorry to ping you but just wanted to mention that the font issues you saw in Firefox should be fixed now (if you choose to use the theme) 🙂

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
zombiejames Already had a change of heart. Made it more simple by just adding many popular fonts to a drop down.
Also added a font-size option now since some fonts were very tiny at my default 13px.
wJ0yc20.png

Anyways off for most of the day here so hopefully I didn't break anything. Ping me if I did and I'll take a look this evening.