ResetEra Version 1.4: Introducing DayEra and NightEra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2017
I didn't even realize I was stuck in mobile mode (on work laptop, Windows 8.1, Chrome 66) until I recently went to Era on my personal Chromebook, which looked vastly different.

I'm guessing there is not fix for this, yet, since plenty of people are still reporting it.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize I was stuck in mobile mode (on work laptop, Windows 8.1, Chrome 66) until I recently went to Era on my personal Chromebook, which looked vastly different.

I'm guessing there is not fix for this, yet, since plenty of people are still reporting it.
I'm glad I saw this because hilariously I'm stuck on mobile mode on my personal Chromebook. I wonder if it's detecting that it's a touchscreen or the reported resolution is low (1200 x 800). I feel like I should be able to jump to specific pages though which is one of the things I'm missing.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm glad I saw this because hilariously I'm stuck on mobile mode on my personal Chromebook. I wonder if it's detecting that it's a touchscreen or the reported resolution is low (1200 x 800). I feel like I should be able to jump to specific pages though which is one of the things I'm missing.
So, has there been any explanation of how the site determines whether to apply mobile mode or desktop mode? Do we have any control over this or is there a workaround?

Oct 27, 2017
So, has there been any explanation of how the site determines whether to apply mobile mode or desktop mode? Do we have any control over this or is there a workaround?
So if I remove the 'Touch' class off the html element, the page numbers show up on hover. It should just show by default on touch devices, IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been using NightERA for the past few weeks, but I've switched back to DarkERA finally. The purple was part of it, I don't necessarily hate the bright purple, but the color scheme of DarkERA is much more appealing. The big issue for me was the empty space in DarkERA. There's massive borders on the sides of my screen, and I just see less stuff at a time, which I don't really like. Other things about it I do like, such as being able to navigate easier. If it were me, I would like to see those new navigation bars added on top of DarkERA, or barring that, tone down the color scheme and remove the empty side space, and I'd switch back.

Oct 27, 2017
I think NightEra has the potentional to be my default theme. My main beef with it is the bottom scrolling navigation bar and hover page position buttons— they take too much real estate.

It may be worthwhile to take a page from browsers, such as mobile Chrome, and have them automatically hide when you're scrolling down and show up when scrolling up. It follows more natural patterns of reading and intent.

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I would love an option to toggle. I just got a Surface Pro and I am having the same issue regardless of browser -- the mobile skin displays no matter what I do. No issues on my MacBook Pro, either.

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some bug when replying to a thread on IOS. It keeps jumping back the window to where sometimes I accidentally hit one of the new buttons down below for games, ect, thus kicking me out of the thread I was replying too. Any fix for this coming?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Chrome on Android, and embedded tweets are no longer working. Not sure if anyone else if having this issue? I just get the embed box with the Twitter logo but nothing is there. Can't click on it to see the tweet or do anything.

Not sure if this is working as intended but if I refresh the site when looking at a post that I've directly linked to via a notification or 'view last post', no matter where I am on the page after it will always bring me back to this post.

I just tested again on DarkERA (Legacy) and it doesn't do this, it stays and refreshes wherever I'm currently looking. Can this be fixed?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for anyone that might know.

Why is there a limitation of only two pieces of "media" per post? For gif-heavy posts I think being able to post multiple gfycat/imgur links would ease a lot on bandwidth and memory/cpu usage, since those kinds of embedded links use video over gifs.

I've been frequently switching back and forth between the new themes and the old themes and I hate to say it, but I still like LightERA the best. Especially on desktop.

I like the mobile-friendly features of the new themes, especially the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen, but it needs work.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Cerium The Chrome writing bug is making me go absolutely mad. It's unbearable.

Is there absolutely no workaround you guys can implement? We're talking about the default browser + keyboard combo of Android being completely broken when typing in the site. It's as bad as if Safari + Default iOS keyboard was broken on iOS.

I understand that it's a bug within the browser, but it doesn't seem like it's going tl get fixed anytime soon

I would use Firefox but Firefox for Android is super slow on my phone.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cerium The Chrome writing bug is making me go absolutely mad. It's unbearable.

Is there absolutely no workaround you guys can implement? We're talking about the default browser + keyboard combo of Android being completely broken when typing in the site. It's as bad as if Safari + Default iOS keyboard was broken on iOS.

I understand that it's a bug within the browser, but it doesn't seem like it's going tl get fixed anytime soon

I would use Firefox but Firefox for Android is super slow on my phone.
Try Firefox Focus
Or Privacy Browser from Fdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I have a question for anyone that might know.

Why is there a limitation of only two pieces of "media" per post? For gif-heavy posts I think being able to post multiple gfycat/imgur links would ease a lot on bandwidth and memory/cpu usage, since those kinds of embedded links use video over gifs.

Yeah, the funny thing is that you can put as many giant images/gifs in a post as you like, but if you want to save bandwidth and help ResetEra load faster by linking to smaller Gfycat clips, you're limited to only 2.

MCN

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
OK, so honest feedback time.

I have reverted back to the Legacy LightERA theme simply because it so much more pleasant to use and look at on the main device I browse on.

I hate websites with huge borders at the sides for no good reason.
The purple in the new themes is far too saturated.
Gradients have never looked good. It's a very mid-90s effect.

LightEra is full-width and far more subdued and pleasant to look at.

Oct 25, 2017
Look we need an OLED mode.

It's 2018 and with the Apple rumors you're gonna see OLED usage continue to rise for mobile and LCD continue to fall.

Sooner or later all sites are gonna have to grapple with this. Better to start now IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the best place to ask since I do not know where else I should ask. Could somebody implement a feature for mobile users where we can choose to disable images, GIFs, videos and avatars? The webpage should only load text. The previous forum before the redesign had these features and it was very useful for me as it help to reduce my mobile Internet usage.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Look we need an OLED mode.

It's 2018 and with the Apple rumors you're gonna see OLED usage continue to rise for mobile and LCD continue to fall.

Sooner or later all sites are gonna have to grapple with this. Better to start now IMO.
Yeah, the old site managed to have a mobile version that was both OLED-friendly and beautiful. I hope they can do the same, I plan on having an OLED phone soon!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the funny thing is that you can put as many giant images/gifs in a post as you like, but if you want to save bandwidth and help ResetEra load faster by linking to smaller Gfycat clips, you're limited to only 2.
Agreed. From a user perspective makes very little sense to me. Maybe the additional code adds strain on Era's servers themselves? I don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Any update on the forced mobile viewing? Still an issue more than 3 weeks since the new default themes launched. It's preventing me from even using the theme on about half of my devices, so I have to keep switching themes anytime I change devices O.o

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be some bug when replying to a thread on IOS. It keeps jumping back the window to where sometimes I accidentally hit one of the new buttons down below for games, ect, thus kicking me out of the thread I was replying too. Any fix for this coming?
This has recently happened to me on Android with Firefox.

Oct 29, 2017
switched back to dark legacy, the new night theme runs bad (slowdowns, freezes, occasionally an error pop up that some query JavaScript script is slowing down) on the latest Firefox beta on Android. Also Spotify closes every time I load the site if it's playing in the background on the new theme. Went back to a legacy and Spotify stays in the background correctly and no more freezes.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Is there any word on further updates? The last known update was May 9th which is a pretty decent time between discussion of changes. I'd like to know what exactly is planned as I believe for this site's design it might be worth actually showing and discussing with the users rather than springing such a design overhaul.

Nov 1, 2017
I have tried nightera a few times since my (really negative) first impression and i'm afraid that I still strongly dislike it. All the colours just seem far too bright. Good old dark era is much easier on my eyes and more pleasant to use

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
I have tried a nightera a few times since my (really negative) first impression and i'm afraid that I still strongly dislike it. All the colours just seem far too bright. Good old dark era is much easier on my eyes and more pleasant to use
Yeah I think the issue is that on the whole the new themes are an improvement, however there are a lot of deliberate design choices (lack of width, colour choices) that seem to be generally disliked

I can see why those who designed them won't want to compromise on that, it's been 3 weeks now and I don't think anyone has posted an update. The only reason I'm watching this thread is because I don't want to miss any update

Oct 27, 2017
I have tried a nightera a few times since my (really negative) first impression and i'm afraid that I still strongly dislike it. All the colours just seem far too bright. Good old dark era is much easier on my eyes and more pleasant to use
Definitely agree. I've done the same thing several times, and each time I'm just as put off by the brightness and boldness, immediately switching back to Dark. Night has some nice features for mobile, but it's still not worth the eye strain.

Oct 25, 2017
The new themes need to display page numbers under every thread, just like the legacy themes do. I shouldn't have to put my cursor over the thread to see the numbers pop up.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the color scheme of DarkERA much more than NightERA. Additionaly DarkERA makes better use of screen space. When using NightERA, there is a lot of wasted space on the sides. Also I really dislike the bottom navigation bar on mobile. I don't feel like its useful and it takes a lot of screen space.

After testing both DayERA and NightERA for few weeks, Im going back to DarkERA. Its in my opinion much more appealing.

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably the best place to ask since I do not know where else I should ask. Could somebody implement a feature for mobile users where we can choose to disable images, GIFs, videos and avatars? The webpage should only load text. The previous forum before the redesign had these features and it was very useful for me as it help to reduce my mobile Internet usage.
Agreed, this is a necessary feature.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Props to the staff for all the work on the redesign -- I really like where it's going, and it's really starting to give Era its own identity.

Apologies if this has been covered (I searched the first and last five pages), but has the ability to search the specific thread you're in (formerly available on the legacy theme via the "search this thread only" feature) been removed entirely? Or am I missing something?

If it's gone, I will sorely miss that feature and would encourage the staff to bring it back in a future update. It's a really useful tool for avoiding redundancy in threads, and encourages users to contribute new discussion or engage with others on specific points.

Oct 27, 2017
England
I personally use Safari content blockers for iOS to disable images.

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
its because the mobile breakpoint is WAY too high
i pointed it out a few times in this thread, but i dont know if any of the devs are monitoring here

any device thats 800px wide or less gets forced into the mobile view
it should be something more like 480

Status
Not open for further replies.