ResetEra Version 1.4: Introducing DayEra and NightEra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
mik2121.com
I’m liking the purple gradients in general. Feels modern. Not feeling the dark grey to black gradients on the avatar / nickname table bit. It looks cheap.
Also the damn space taken up at the very top with the thread title and new reply button... it’s taking way too much space!

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
C'mon guys, the "thread has new posts" indication needs to be much more noticeable. The bold text isn’t enough.
The previous method of the little purple flag was a nicer and clearer way to see if there were new posts.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, unfortunately still not a fan of the new themes after trying to use them again.

I still don't quite understand how we went from Light/DarkEra themes to the new ones. It feels like a massive change in the visual identity of the site besides the colour purple. The new themes colours are still too bright, all over. The shortcut bar at the bottom of mobile is wasting the smaller space you generally already have to deal with on mobile. The old ones are simple and stylish, nothing in your face, no annoyingly bright colours, no random bar or controls following you about.

There also seems to be a lack of admins or any higher ups in this thread talking about the new themes. For a site that started with being more open than the last place, and even letting us decide on a site motto, they don't seem to have much to say on the new themes weirdly.

Oct 27, 2017
On mobile, I accidentally hit the report post button all the time while trying to scroll. Could we move that somewhere where it isn't likely to get pressed accidentally?

(I assume lefties don't have this problem as much.)

Nov 1, 2017
I now find the new colours less offensive to my eyes, but it still feels very bright and the darkera colour scheme is still a million times better - why break what was perfect? genuine question

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Annnd further tweaks :P
I made a few more changes in hopes of saving my eyeballs since Im longer able to use the old theme on desktop

Changed the bar color to the previous purple and removed gradient
Attempted to match the reset logo by using the brightness and opacity filter

Lowered the space between avatars and usernames
Lowered the strength of the bold used on usernames
Removed the border around the floating controls and changed the color of the report flag to a red

Fiddled with the verified banners

Oct 27, 2017
I made a few more changes in hopes of saving my eyeballs since Im longer able to use the old theme on desktop

Removed the border around the floating controls and changed the color of the report flag to a red

Now tweak the site into making it like this for everyone, and make it work on mobile too. :P

Oct 25, 2017
If I may give one suggestion, for the desktop regular version for the forums, can you add a bar similar to the header bar that has buttons to go to the Videogames/Hangouts/Etc/Hangouts at the bottom? Let's say I was reading a thread and I am at the end, I'd like an easy way to jump back into the forums. The original light/dark theme got a bar at the bottom allowing for that. Thanks :)

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can fiddle with my banner but you can't answer my question? *cries*
I couldn't find a way to add a marker/icon using my subpar css skills, but how about a colored background? :P

Code:
.discussionListItem.threadWatched {
	background-color: #0aa53d1a !important;
}

Or a gradient? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Code:
.discussionListItem.threadWatched {
       background: linear-gradient(to right, rgb(226, 241, 231)
 10%,rgba(160,208,120,0) 40%); 
}

Oct 27, 2017
By the by, since we have people with some knowledge in this thread... who do I have to beg to make a case for e.g. embetty? Looked at the FAQ and searched for feature request but didn't find anything worthwhile. So I guess I'll just plonk down a wall of text in here and report my own post, with the hope that whichever poor soul has to grok my semi-coherent rambling will be able to forward it to the appropriate people. Sorry about that, nice mod person.

The why:

I want to keep my exposure to data gathering from third parties to a minimum. As such, the tweet and youtube embeds on Resetera are kind of a sore spot for me. These allow companies outside resetera to track me (e.g. which threads I read). Which is kind of a no-no. I've already disabled image embedding to kick imgur and their peers off my tail (and conserve bandwidth), but with tweets and videos it's not so easy since there is no resetera setting for that. (Which would be a great option for bandwidth starved users, by the way. Hint hint.)

Also, there's the archival issue. Some threads now have a policy of quoting tweets below the embedded tweet, which is a major hassle but necessary since interesting tweets often get deleted rather quickly and late comers spam the thread questions about the tweets when that happens. Hinders discussion, at the least. At the very latest, when/if a thread gets archived, these external references should be mirrored/cached to allow people to follow the discussion even years later.

The how:

Enter embetty. It's just one example of these server side privacy guard components. This one is written, used and maintained by c't & heise online, one of the biggest IT related online and print mags in Germany.

It fetches the text and/or preview image of the external content on the server, and displays it as a click-to-activate preview in the browser.
An example can be seen here.

Supports tweets, youtube, vimeo and facebook video. MIT license, so pretty easy to use, and it seems installation and invocation is rather hasslefree as well. Of course, the problem is performance/scalability and ease of maintenance given the ridiculous amount of throughput on resetera, but since I have no clue about the actual infrastructure, feasability and performance requirements I'll have to punt this to the relevant resetera authorities for review / consideration.

The rest:

Failing that, I'd like to request the use of youtube-nocookie.com instead of youtube.com in embeds. It's not much, and its benefit is questionable since google likes to play fast and loose, but every little thing counts.

Oh, and while I'm at it, can we get server-local svg/png copies of pictograms instead of external fonts? Google doesn't need to know even more about me than it already does. It's a security issue as well (font libs are notorious for remote exploitation). I'm sure this will be completely trivial to implement and not at all force some poor admins and devs to ragequit and reconsider their life choices. Ahem. I'm sorry.

OK, enough paranoia. Thanks for reading until here, and have a nice week y'all.

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

This honestly looks great. I really hope the official design team takes some notes.

In the meantime, will this be a script somewhere we can install?

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This honestly looks great. I really hope the official design team takes some notes.

In the meantime, will this be a script somewhere we can install?
Thanks!

It's incomplete at the moment (alerts drop-down is screwed up, intense purple still on some elements, etc) but I hope to work on those issues this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks!

It's incomplete at the moment (alerts drop-down is screwed up, intense purple still on some elements, etc) but I hope to work on those issues this weekend.
All good. Keep it up! Sorts out every issue I had with the theme and it really looks like you executed what the designers may have initially intended.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All good. Keep it up! Sorts out every issue I had with the theme and it really looks like you executed what the designers may have initially intended.
Will do!
In the meantime, if you're interested in making basic changes

Extending page width
Code:
.pageWidth {
    width: 95%;
}
Title bar color change
Code:
.titleBar {
	background-color: rgb(127,81,186);
	background-image: none;
}
Logo intensity
Code:
#logo img {
	filter: brightness(70%) opacity(.65);
}
Darker purple for the Watched/Alerts/PMs icons
Code:
.navLink .fa {
	color: rgb(64, 28, 157);
}

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Was there a particular motivation for forcing avatar sizes smaller than they were and with a square, filled background for the new theme? Surely it must have been discussed previously.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't checked through the thread but is anyone else having problems with the links at the bottom of the page for games , Hangouts, etc..? I'm rarely able to tap them on my Android device

Nov 1, 2017
On LightERA (Legacy) the "E3 2018" a bit hard to read, especially because the logo is small and the background high contrast. I thought, maybe I would look nicer if it was a bit better visible.

current version LightERA (legacy)

better visible version suggestion LightERA (legacy)

current version DayERA

better visible version suggestion DayERA

daxy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's my eyes, but I can barely see the distinction between threads I've read since they were last posted in and those I haven't (i.e. bolded/regular title). The legacy skin has a symbol indicating this, which is much easier to identify at a glance.

Oct 25, 2017
On LightERA (Legacy) the "E3 2018" a bit hard to read, especially because the logo is small and the background high contrast. I thought, maybe I would look nicer if it was a bit better visible.

current version LightERA (legacy)

better visible version suggestion LightERA (legacy)

current version DayERA

better visible version suggestion DayERA
I would love one of these. I was thinking of making a version with the 3 changed as well since yellow on white is nearly impossible to see. Is there an admin or someone we should ping for this? ( SweetNicole )

Oct 25, 2017
England
I know people have joked about the... garishness of the E3 logo but I don't think it's terrible. Whoever made it was going in the right direction. My issue is the colour doesn't follow a scheme, particularly the original's. The 'reset' in the original logo is grey and the square is purple; thus if you make the 'square' red, the 'reset' shouldn't go red as well.

I was bored so I knocked up my own interpretation of what an E3 logo could look like. I don't think it's anywhere near as harsh and a tad more subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.