ResetEra Version 1.4: Introducing DayEra and NightEra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Well the bottom nav bar got worse with time. Now almost every other page it becomes unclickable.

On both my phones too. Sometimes I try clicking on it but its as if the bar ain't even there, highlighting the text behind it or even accidentally clicking on a link it was obscuring. Other times it only works if I click on a specific part of it, sometimes upper sometimes lower...

At first it worked flawlessly, but now it became wholly unreliable. Wish you guys the best of luck fixing all these bugs.
Yeah, this is driving me nuts too.

Never happens on the home page though if that helps with tracking down the bug.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will this ever be addressed? I feel the first 3 pages plus the last would be enough for the page navigation. And the ignored user button should be under and a few lines away from the new thread/post button
Anyway, I've made some mobile specific changes
- Brought up the default(?) quick search option that was tucked away, and placed it on the left as it popped through the drop down profile menu
- Removed the second row in the thread list. Less cluttered and not really necessary.

This just shows the bold removed from Click to Expand, changed the post reply button color, and added color to report flag.

Ignore the search button its been changed
- Removed the tags/titles and such. They just look awful on mobile.
- Removed the background and shadow from avatar holder
- Lowered the bold strength in titles, usernames, and made the title bars smaller
Again, ignore the search button
- User highlight for own threads (blue)
- Highlight bar/marker for subscribed threads (green). This doesn't look great on tablets, so keep that in mind if you try it on one. You can fiddle with it or leave it as is. Or use a different method (gradient) that was posted a couple pages back.

If you're using Firefox on Android you can install Stylus and copy/paste. Click on New Style, name it, paste it, and make sure to scroll all the way down the page and select "URLs on this domain" and type in resetera.com then add. I don't know what options are available for iOS. Sorry.

For your threads and posts to be highlighted you will need to enter your name where it reads YOUR NAME HERE
Code:
/*Changes the title bars to a less intense shade of purple*/
.titleBar {
	background-color: rgb(127,81,186);
    background-image: none;
}

/*Adjusts the intensity of the ResetEra logo*/
#logo img {
	filter: brightness(70%) opacity(.65);
}

/*Changes color of top navigations buttons (inbox/alerts/profile)*/
.navLink .fa {
	color: rgb(170, 170, 170);
}

/*"New" Search button. It was hidden and so I simply surfaced it*/
#QuickSearchMobile {
    display: block !important;
    margin-top: 75px;
    background: rgb(127,81,186);
    left: 0;
}

/*Hides old Search button that was once on the left side of inbox nav*/
#header-nav .fa-search {
display: none !important;
}

/*Removes white background from top nav when clicked*/
#header-nav ul li a:hover,
#header-nav ul li a:active,
#header-nav ul li a:focus
{
	background-color: unset;
	text-decoration: none;
}

/*Adjusts top nav to align with ResetEra logo. Or close it. Will vary fromt device to device*/
#header-nav {
	top: -2px;
}

/*Changes text color of New Thread button*/
.forum_view #forums + .nodeListNewDiscussionButton a.callToAction span, .forum_view .titleBar + .nodeListNewDiscussionButton a.callToAction span {
	color: rgb(127,81,186);
}

/*Changes background of New thread button at bottom of page*/
a.callToAction span {
}

/*Lowers opacity for topics marked read*/
.discussionListItem:not(.unread) .title a {
	color: #0005;
}

/*Lowers bold strength for unread topics*/
.discussionListItem.unread .title a {
	font-weight: normal;
}

/*Removes second row in thread list (OP/time posted/number of posts)*/
.Responsive .discussionListItem .secondRow {
	display: none !important;
}

/*Removes underline from thread titles in thread list*/
.discussionListItem .title a:hover {
}

/*Changes the the "first post" and "last post" icons in thread list*/
.fa-step-forward::before {
	content: "\f105";
}
.fa-rotate-left::before, .fa-undo::before {
	content: "\f22d";
}

/*Adjusts font and bold of thread titles*/
.titleBar h1 {
	font-size: 1.1rem;
    font-weight: 600;
}

/*Removes tags/badges. Couldn't pretty it up on mobile*/
.Responsive .messageUserBlock .userBanner {
	display: none;
}

/*Lowers bold strength on usernames*/
.messageUserBlock a.username {
}

/*Removes underline from various things*/
.nodeTitle a:hover {
}

#meta-links a {
}

.titleBar a:hover {
}

.messageUserBlock a.username:hover {
    color: #7d51b8;
}

a[href]:hover {
}

.ugc a:link, .ugc a:visited {
	color: #1a0dab;
}

#pageDescription a {
}

/*Changes color of Report flag*/
.fa-flag::before {
	color: firebrick;
}

/*Changes color of sticky thumb tack*/
.fa-thumb-tack::before {
	color: firebrick;
}

/*Lowers bold strength of titles on front page*/
.node .unread .nodeText .nodeTitle {
}
.node .subForumList .unread .nodeTitle {
}

/*Changes shade of purple used as background on front page icons*/
.node.node .forumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon::after, .node.node .categoryForumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon::after {
	background: rgb(127,81,186);
}

/*Changes size of the title bars*/
.titleBar {
    padding: 10px;
    margin: 12px 0
}

/*Changes the text color of the New/Post Reply buttons*/
.thread_view .titleBar + .nodeListNewDiscussionButton a.callToAction span {
	color: rgb(127,81,186);
}
.button.primary {
}

/*Removes bold from Click to Expand*/
.bbCodeQuote .quoteContainer .quoteExpand {
}

/*Changes the background of the question marks in polls*/
.pollBlock .questionMark {
background: rgba(128, 29, 255, 0.49);
}

/*Adds highlight to created, posts, quotes, and subscribed threads*/
li[data-author="YOUR NAME HERE"] {

background-color: #d1e9f2 !important;
    background-image: none !important;
}

.messageUserBlock.online {
    background-color: transparent !important;
}
.messageUserInfo {
}
.avatarHolder {
}

[itemscope="itemscope"] {
    background-color: #f5f5f5 !important;
}

div[data-author="YOUR NAME HERE"] .quoteContainer {
}
div[data-author="YOUR NAME HERE"] .attribution {
}

.discussionListItem.threadWatched {
    /*background-color: #0aa53d1a !important;*/
    background: linear-gradient(to right, rgb(161, 195, 173)
        2%,rgba(160,208,120,0) 0%); 
}

/*Removes the Show Ignored users at the bottom. It was causing issues with size and display of page nav and new thread button*/
a.muted.JsOnly.DisplayIgnoredContent.Tooltip {
    display: none;
}

/*Decreases space used for page nav*/
.PageNav a, .pageNavLinkGroup .linkGroup a.OverlayTrigger {
	padding: 5px;
}

/*Removes background and box shadow from avatars that do not fill the area*/
.messageUserBlock .avatar img {
	box-shadow: none;
	background-color: transparent;
}

/*Changes the shade of purple used on the tab in Your Account page*/
.heading, .xenForm .formHeader {
}

/*Adds bottom padding to the Save Changes button on Your Account page*/
.xenForm fieldset + .ctrlUnit, .xenForm .formGroup + .ctrlUnit, .xenForm .submitUnit {
	padding-bottom: 10px;
}

/*Changes the "comment" icon color on the front page*/
.node .subForumList li .nodeTitle::before {
	color: rgb(213, 213, 213);
}

/*Moves the Stay Logged In box and provides more space*/
.ctrlUnit.submitUnit dd .explain, .ctrlUnit.submitUnit dd .text, .ctrlUnit.submitUnit dd label {
	display: block;
	margin-top: 20px;
}

/*Removes the black border on sign in*/
.xenOverlay #pageLogin {
	border: none;
}

/*Reverets sign in icon color back to original*/
.fa-sign-in::before {
	color: rgb(128, 29, 255);
}

Oct 27, 2017
Wow ody that all looks amazing.

Only thing I would liked changed out of all of that, is to shrink down the bottom navigation bar. I don't really want it at all, but maybe it just being a lot smaller would be a good compromise? I would just remove the words from it and shrink down some of the white space, but that might not work for new users who don't know what it means? I dunno.

Great fucking work man.

Edit: I also really like the little green lines to show subbed threads, I don't like the colour for it, but I like the idea of something very noticeable, but subtle.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This site is kinda broken on Firefox on Android. I figured it was nightly being an issue but even on stable there are problems. Random black rectangles that can take up the entire viewport, can't click on quoted images, sometimes the font awesome stuff won't display, and frequent crashes. I've been using WebView based browser without much issue but I needed to make some adjustments hence the move to Firefox.

Wow ody that all looks amazing.

Only thing I would liked changed out of all of that, is to shrink down the bottom navigation bar. I don't really want it at all, but maybe it just being a lot smaller would be a good compromise? I would just remove the words from it and shrink down some of the white space, but that might not work for new users who don't know what it means? I dunno.

Great fucking work man.

Edit: I also really like the little green lines to show subbed threads, I don't like the colour for it, but I like the idea of something very noticeable, but subtle.
Thanks!
I'll see what I can do about the bar, and you can change the color of the highlights to whatever. Once I'm at my desk I'll post what to change

.discussionListItem.threadWatched {
/*background-color: #0aa53d1a !important;*/
background: linear-gradient(to right, rgb(161, 195, 173)
2%,rgba(160,208,120,0) 0%);
}
The bolded is what you'll want to change for the color on subscribed threads. Clicking on the colored box should bring up the color tool. If you're using Stylus, clicking Beautify on the editing page will make scrolling through easier.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
twitter.com
This site is kinda broken on Firefox on Android. I figured it was nightly being an issue but even on stable there are problems. Random black rectangles that can take up the entire viewport, can't click on quoted images, sometimes the font awesome stuff won't display, and frequent crashes. I've been using WebView based browser without much issue but I needed to make some adjustments hence the move to Firefox.
I think some of those issues have something to do with the animations on posts in the new themes: I'm using Stylus and the style in this post to fix it for now: https://www.resetera.com/posts/10033069/

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on anything at all?
Well I think I'm going to get a sandwich from Lees for lunch, that sounds good today. Turkey with cheese.

But on the topic of these themes that clearly still need more time in the oven, I believe there has been a little bit of bug fixing going on but no, I don't think there's been anything meaty for a while. 2 months later I sure hope a big visual update is coming soon for them. E3 probably kept them busy but now I'm hoping for things to get rolling again. Especially when you've got people in here like ody and Oluasc straight up showing admins what's good.
I think they have top men working on it, though. Top men.

Update: Sandwich was indeed good.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance we'll see the new margins from NightERA reflected on DayERA sometime soon? Browsing a website with a dark theme looks suspicious at work. ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess so few people use PC now.

For me on PC each post is still cut short unless I log in. Quickly hitting up resetera for quick reading/browsing is just not possible on PC now with the layout and posts cut off.
I never had that issue when I used NightEra. So not everyone on PC has it.

I think lots of people are on PC, but I think not a lot of people are using the new themes.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With removing the second row on mobile, the lock and thumbtack icons didn't look great. So I tried placing them on the same row. I said it once and I'll say it again, my knowledge with this stuff is extremely limited. I mostly toss things together through trial and error. If you see something and think "wtf" Im sorry, I guess :P
Code:
/*Moves the Lock and Thumbtack icons to the same row*/
.discussionListItem .iconKey span {
	display: table-cell;
}

RaySpencer is this what you had in mind?
Code:
/*Shrinks mobile tab bar*/
.navTabs .mobileTabs .navLink {
        padding: 5px
	font-size: 0;
	flex-direction: unset;
}

Oct 27, 2017
With removing the second row on mobile, the lock and thumbtack icons didn't look great. So I tried placing them on the same row. I said it once and I'll say it again, my knowledge with this stuff is extremely limited. I mostly toss things together through trial and error. If you see something and think "wtf" Im sorry, I guess :P

Code:
/*Moves the Lock and Thumbtack icons to the same row*/
.discussionListItem .iconKey span {
    display: table-cell;
}

RaySpencer is this what you had in mind?

Code:
/*Shrinks mobile tab bar*/
.navTabs .mobileTabs .navLink {
        padding: 5px
    font-size: 0;
    flex-direction: unset;
}
Yes! That looks so much better. They need to make that standard across the whole thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the theme HAVE to go back to bright blinder Sunstaring LightERA every thirty days when the site begs me to put in my 2FA?

And will there ever be an option to only put in my 2fa every few months/yearly instead of every 30 days?

If this is the wrong thread for these questions, I apologize, I just couldn't find a suggestion thread anywhere.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Does the theme HAVE to go back to bright blinder Sunstaring LightERA every thirty days when the site begs me to put in my 2FA?

And will there ever be an option to only put in my 2fa every few months/yearly instead of every 30 days?

If this is the wrong thread for these questions, I apologize, I just couldn't find a suggestion thread anywhere.
The 30 day standard is something that Xenforo themselves put in their software. It isn't something we have any control over as far as I know.

Regarding the theme changing, your theme choice is saved as a preference to your account. The 2FA check force logs you out, and thus your current theme preferences aren't known since you aren't logged in yet. As a result, the website changes back to the default ResetEra theme. This is also something that is basic Xenforo software functionality, and to be the best of my knowledge, not something we can change.

I hope that clarifies things!

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For mobile
For anyone who has removed the tags/titles/banners (like the tweaks I've posted above), here is a username highlight for staff members
Code:
/*Highlights usernames of site staff*/
.message.staff .username {
	color: rgb(255, 0, 0, .8);
}

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I recently switched to using the legacy themes on Safari because of extremely high Energy Impacts, well over 100 constantly. Additionally, the tabs for the forums at the top aren't positioned relative to the page, so quick navigation is effectively broken on Safari.

Not sure if it's the animations or the use of JS or some kind of complex CSS rules, but there's something going on with the new styles that set my fans ablaze.

In contrast, the highest energy impact with the legacy themes is 25.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Is it possible to mark a thread as unread? I am reading the Smash Ultimate speculation thread when I'm bored, and I was trying to basically read all of it, but I accidentally clicked the last page once and now it's annoying because I have to manually remember on which page I was the last time since the forum thinks I've read a lot more than what I actually have.

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to mark a thread as unread? I am reading the Smash Ultimate speculation thread when I'm bored, and I was trying to basically read all of it, but I accidentally clicked the last page once and now it's annoying because I have to manually remember on which page I was the last time since the forum thinks I've read a lot more than what I actually have.
Don't think so . Can you just give it its own tab in the browser? That's what I did in a similar situation .

Oct 25, 2017
Any plans to implement the smaller side margins from NightERA into DayERA anytime soon? I'd love to be able to switch back at work. Dark themes look suspicious to passersby.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the bottom nav bar got worse with time. Now almost every other page it becomes unclickable.

On both my phones too. Sometimes I try clicking on it but its as if the bar ain't even there, highlighting the text behind it or even accidentally clicking on a link it was obscuring. Other times it only works if I click on a specific part of it, sometimes upper sometimes lower...

At first it worked flawlessly, but now it became wholly unreliable. Wish you guys the best of luck fixing all these bugs.
I reverted back to the legacy theme because of this.

Thought it was related to my phone when it started

Oct 26, 2017
I reverted back to the legacy theme because of this.

Thought it was related to my phone when it started, but same issue on my new one as well
It's especially frustrating when it refreshes the page instead or jumps to the wrong thread. You lose where you are and can miss replies.

As mentioned above the legacy theme doesn't solve things for everyone as some of us android users can't type with the old theme .

Oct 27, 2017
So whats the consensus on the coloring of NightEra? Are people happy about it? Because I personally dislike it ( mainly the purple shade). I would like to use the layout of the NightEra with the coloring of DarkEra.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get that let's be honest here Day and Night Era might have gone out prematurely. Shit happens. I ain't gonna hate on that.

I wish we would get an ETA on when we might see their work into Day and Night Era (2.0?). It would be easier to give some real feedback along the way vs the way things were handled last time.

Nov 8, 2017
I dunno if anyone else is experiencing this, but embedded tweets aren’t being responsive on mobile (iPhone), I’m only seeing the left hand side of them and the other half is off the right hand side of the screen, unviewable.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kind of unrelated but do we not get alerts for getting quoted by an edit? I just checked a few of the posts I made today and two didn't give an alert and they were quoting multiple people so I'm assuming they were edits adding me in there.

BronsonLee

Don't worry I'm on the case
Oct 24, 2017
Kind of unrelated but do we not get alerts for getting quoted by an edit? I just checked a few of the posts I made today and two didn't give an alert and they were quoting multiple people so I'm assuming they were edits adding me in there.
Correct

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be able to create a userscript that enables the NightEra side margins for DayEra? Using NightEra at work looks suspicious, but DayEra's oversized margins are killing my soul.

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Would anyone be able to create a userscript that enables the NightEra side margins for DayEra? Using NightEra at work looks suspicious, but DayEra's oversized margins are killing my soul.
You must be on LightERA, rather than DayERA. However, I myself prefer the larger margins, so I hope that they give an option for the shorter or longer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.