ResetEra Version 1.5 Update Thread

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Hello all! We'd like to first apologize for being quiet on this front lately. In addition to working on this update, we've been getting our ducks in a row regarding some long held ambitions, and today we can finally talk a little about that. It can be difficult to balance day to day work with community engagement, but going forward we're going to make a stronger effort to show our faces in this thread.

ResetEra 1.5

For immediate release we have the ResetEra 1.5 update which fixes numerous compatibility issues with the Safari browser, provides relief for the forced mobile view bug, and also introduces a new variable width feature for those of you who hate wasting horizontal space. Based on your feedback these were three of the biggest issues that users had with DayEra/NightEra and we have dedicated a considerable effort to address them.

At the very bottom of the page desktop users should now see a button like in the image above. Pressing it will allow you to toggle page width! The full list of highlights from this update include:
  • Changed "NSFW" options title to "Image Options"
  • Made changes to reduce the chances of desktop users receiving a forced mobile view
  • Mobile scaling issues should now largely be fixed
  • Added min/max width options for variable horizontal width
  • Improved Safari compatibility
We hope you enjoy the changes! Please report any new or persisting issues in the new 1.5 bug report thread.

Note: We have been made aware of some compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 11. If you are an IE11 user, please use one of the legacy themes for now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

ResetEra 2.0

Now let's talk about the future. In our last update we explained that the DayEra/NightEra designs are not part of the same project as ResetEra 2.0, but rather a standalone that would help bridge the gap. We promised some months ago that ResetEra 2.0 would be released before the end of 2018. Those plans are now beginning to mature.

While some work will continue in the interim on DayEra/NightEra, we have recently made special arrangements for additional help and resources for ResetEra 2.0 in order to ensure that development will proceed smoothly and in a timely manner. After considering the totality of your feedback, we examined our options and determined that making ResetEra 2.0 an urgent priority made the most sense for the community in the long term.

The wheels are now in motion, and we look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks. We will be using this thread to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
Does this also fix the Firefox mobile black box issues? I haven't seen it happen yet on the new version but it's pretty intermittent for me.

Oct 26, 2017
The margin selection is a good idea, but min is now busted for both Day and NightEra when you're using a half-sized browser window. The margin is far too large for that.

I'd also prefer to have the selection hidden, maybe under "Chooose_Theme". But that's just a small thing.

Oct 25, 2017
If you need help with iOS feedback, since some of us feel that the new stuff was designed with Android users in mind first (if only), please let me know and I can provide feedback and HIG suggestions.

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared cache & cookies and the bottom navbar still doesn't consistently work on chrome for mobile :(

So looks like I still can't use NightERA

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The page width switch is great, thanks for that! :D

I second the comments about the shade of purple, however... even if I've gotten somewhat accustomed to it recently. Still, keep up the good job!

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared cache & cookies and the bottom navbar still doesn't consistently work on chrome for mobile :(

So looks like I still can't use NightERA
Can you specify the phone that you are using and tell us exactly when the Navbar doesn’t work? Also, how frequent is this issue?

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Thanks.

To be honest, currently my biggest annoyance is the unwieldy rich text editor in the post reply area. Still, better compatibility and a "wide" view is appreciated. Good luck with continued wrestling with the code.

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Like many of us here, I appreciate the hard work.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but my view now looks quite different on my Chromebook. The refresh and jump to a page buttons on each thread row are quite large now. I suspect I now have the mobile view, but I don't know. Perhaps I had the mobile view before and never realized it.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm imagining the changes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Can you specify the phone that you are using and tell us exactly when the Navbar doesn’t work? Also, how frequent is this issue?
Pixel 2 XL.

Happens pretty consistently whenever I enter any thread using either the newer Night/Day themes. The bottom navbar doesn't accept any inputs. Tapping on the reply box (which brings up the keyboard) and then immediately dismissing the keyboard resolves it.

Simpler solution is to just use NightERA DarkERA which doesn't have these problems.

Edit: names

Nov 25, 2017
Minnesota
twitter.com
I don't know what happened but Night is actually broken for me now; like, I can't even properly reply to some posts. I used to defend its functionality but now it's completely useless so I'll be going to Dark.

As I've said many times before, I really do appreciate all the work that goes into designing and implementing cool features on this site, but those new themes need serious help, and not just aesthetically.

Sorry for the harsh criticism. I know there's actual people that come up with these things, so I try not to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm just trying to be constructive.

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Curious to see what ResetEra 2.0 entails, especially when compared to the recently released Day/Night options. I just hope it has proper fullscreen coverage on widescreen displays instead of copious amounts of wasted space for 4:3 format.

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The search thread option is back! (Or if it was present in the last revision, I definitely couldn't find it). I love that feature -- really helps cut back on redundant contributions to threads. Thanks for the continued work, Era team, I'm really glad this forum exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pixel 2 XL.

Happens pretty consistently whenever I enter any thread using either the newer Night/Day themes. The bottom navbar doesn't accept any inputs. Tapping on the reply box (which brings up the keyboard) and then immediately dismissing the keyboard resolves it.

Simpler solution is to just use NightERA DarkERA which doesn't have these problems.

Edit: names
I found this happens when the bottom navbar is directly above the avatar of a post. It doesn't seem to recognize the layers.

Oct 25, 2017
I found this happens when the bottom navbar is directly above the avatar of a post. It doesn't seem to recognize the layers.
Even if I scroll all the way to the bottom (where the navbar is not over anything) it just doesn't accept inputs.

But, like you said, the number of times I accidentally clicked on a username or the report button because it was underneath the non-input-accepting navbar was high.

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Still hoping for a theme that combines the looks of DarkERA with the functionality of NightERA.

Looking forward to receiving more information on Resetera 2.0. I have no idea what it's supposed to be, despite it being touted as a radical change to Resetera for months now. Hope you guys are going to be more generous with information than you were with Day and Nightera.

Oct 28, 2017
Please start supporting DarkEra again. It’s a perfect look for the site and it’s going to attract a lot more new users than the two new amateurish themes, both of wich are nightmares when it comes to accessability and color palettes.

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
The wider page view is so much better. I was also briefly getting a weird narrow page view on mobile, but that appears to have already been fixed. These updates have been really great so far.

Oct 25, 2017
The main reason I prefer the legacy dark theme is because there's a navigation bar at the bottom of the page as well. In the non-legacy version, you have to scroll all the way to the top to use the navigation bar.

Nov 1, 2017
where is the horizontal width option?...I don't see a 'Max' button on the bottom of any page...is that only for mobile users?...I'm using a Desktop PC