• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
2018 looking weak for me, I'm super pumped for Ni No Kuni II.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great list, thanks for compiling Muzy

Some good stuff coming up this year, something for everyone there and there's presumably still loads to be revealed.

Surprised Valkyria Chronicles and Fire Emblem did so well, they are what I'm looking forward to most. And Dragon Quest, Wargroove, Bloodstained etc. That's cheered me up on a dark January morning, so thanks everyone! :D

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus this feels like a repeat of 2010.

Red Dead Redemption (2010)
God of War 3 (2010)
Spider-Man Web of Shadows (2010)
Monster Hunter Tri (2010)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010)
Heavy Rain (2010)

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
And to think 2018 was going to be the year when I caught up on all the good games from 2017...

Thank you for making the list and settting up the vote! Looks like the PS4 is going to have yet another stellar year.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Damn, that's a close top 3 points decision. They were also my top 3, but in reverse order ;)

I had Spider-Man, God of War, Red Dead.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
gallery-1476976013-red-dead-2.gif

Aww yeah! Rockstar need to drop more details and a release date. Like now.

I honestly thought God of War was gonna snag it given the mentions but damn, the difference in votes for the top 3 and anything under is crazy.

Thanks Muzy! Great job especially since you had to count them by hand in the end! lol

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
This is looking to be a great year. We are still waiting for lots of announcements and release dates, but 2018 already has very promising games scheduled for the first few months.

Oct 29, 2017
Still think this election is increasingly pointless now Nintendo seems set on only formally announcing their games in January, which is why I didn't vote, but that said, that's a really solid list for my PlayStation. RDR2, Spiderman, Detroit, SotC all seem like a given.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...Detroit at #6 and Days Gone at #15 is really surprising to me.

There is some hate for both of them, but there are so many people here complaining about David Cage that I really thought it wouldn't be in the Top10.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty disappointed in the top ten and also sad DBFZ didn't make it. I thought it would for sure.

Not super excited about it, but I'm getting Shadow of the Colossus and a friend wants me to play Monster Hunter with them. That's it from the top 10.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This thread really cements the fact that 2018 is going to be the year of Sony. A majority of the top ten are exclusive/limited exclusive or play best on PS4. And the supplementary titles like Days Gone, Concrete Genie, and Shenmue 3 between those releases only makes the PS4 2018 roster that much better.

I do can't wait to be able to play just half of these games.

Just to compare, I went back to look at gaf's 2017 list.

1. Zelda
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon
4. RDR2
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Nier: Automata
7. Nioh
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. Ni No Kuni 2

So ends the Zelda/Persona streak, it was a good run. In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end. Like last year's list, Nintendo hasn't talked much about their 2018 slate, which they should be doing so in the coming month(s). I'm convinced some of the rankings would have switched (heh) around if we actually knew and have seen some of what was coming this year.

I also kind of wonder if KH3 would've been higher if more people believed it was coming out this year. :P

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to see Dragon Ball crack the top 10. Still a pretty good list though.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I didn't vote for any of the top 3 at all. Also, I guess at least 3 of the games listed here will be delayed to 2019.

I voted for both God of War and Spider-Man, but they appeared at #5 and #7 respectively on my ballot. Still excited about them, though there are games that have higher priority.

I don't care about Red Dead Redemption II at all, but I'm not surprised that it's #1. I'm clearly in the minority of people who just aren't crazy about Rockstar.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm...Detroit at #6 and Days Gone at #15 is really surprising to me.

There is some hate for both of them, but there are so many people here complaining about David Cage that I really thought it wouldn't be in the Top10.

Perhaps more of a vocal minority? Not everyone is into these types of multi-option and outcome narrative-driven experiences, especially when the stories and characters can sometimes be a bit on the nose.

Heavy Rain at least, has sold nearly 5 million copies and was well received with an 87% meta. Beyond Two Soul's was less impressive, but still liked by many. Clearly, there is a fairly large audience and base who enjoy these types of games.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Into the Breach seems to be completely absent on the list (even though I voted it as number one and I think someone more had it on their list). Is that title not eligible? Else I will assume that I somehow screwed up and my vote was voided, or that I failed to spot it in the list. Thanks to the organizers no matter what!

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Top 3 was much closer together than I expected. I'm not surprised to see Red Dead at the top, though I thought it would be further ahead but I guess not enough was shown.

Despite all the loot box controversy I really didn't think Anthem would be so low on the list. It probably also didn't help that despite a strong E3 demo they did nothing to follow-up on it and build interest.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Into the Breach seems to be completely absent on the list (even though I voted it as number one and I think someone more had it on their list). Is that title not eligible? Else I will assume that I somehow screwed up and my vote was voided. Thanks to the organizers no matter what!
Yeah sorry about that! I'm super excited for the game too, but couldn't find any official word about a 2018 launch even though it's very likely. :/

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Detroit would sell because it's a triple-A option for a niche market that enjoy these kinds of story games.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to compare, I went back to look at gaf's 2017 list.

1. Zelda
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon
4. RDR2
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Nier: Automata
7. Nioh
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. Ni No Kuni 2

So ends the Zelda/Persona streak, it was a good run. In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end. Like last year's list, Nintendo hasn't talked much about their 2018 slate, which they should be doing so in the coming month(s). I'm convinced some of the rankings would have switched (heh) around if we actually knew and have seen some of what was coming this year.

I also kind of wonder if KH3 would've been higher if more people believed it was coming out this year. :P

How did it turn out in the end? A fantastic year for gaming is definitely my take. I'd be ecstatic if there are two games of the caliber of Mario or Zelda out on the Switch in 2018.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say that 2018 is looking like a weak year for me; most of that top 20 doesn't interest me :-/

PS:I don't see MediEvil PS4 anywhere in the list?