• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
ReseErs's top 20 includes:

1x Switch exclusive
Zero Xbox exclusive

Looks like Sony is going to have a stellar year in 2018. MS has a lot of work to do if they are even going to compete at all going into next-gen.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
And?
Zelda was the most antecipated and won the majority of GOTYs.
That didn't change the fact the PS4 had an amazing year and that lots of the games on 2017 list lived up for their hype.

We're talking about Nintendo games being absent from the 2017 most anticipated games.
Same for 2018. Since Nintendo play their cards very close to their chest, those lists are mostly useless at this time of the year.
As I said earlier, by next week, the results should be quite different if a Nintendo Direct happens.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's not talking about sales but how 2017's GOTY list is going to end up.

I doubt the GOTY list is going to end up much different to the most anticipated list. The main exception being games that didn't make 2017, and that Super Mario Odyssey is going to feature prominently, whereas it was TBA on release date at the time of the anticipated list voting, hence not being there.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it is a bummer to see Vampyr, Kingdom Come and Pillars 2 so low. Only RDR2 for me from the TOP10.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No nintendo, so list is hella lopsided and very dull. I mean fucking David cage and a sotc remaster in the top ten makes 2018 look real anemic.

Praying for bayonetta 3 to save gaming in 2018

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Nothing really, Spelunky 2 if that is a 2018 title probably !
edit: oh this was a result thread, will go back to page 1 interesting :)

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's a dope top 10

source.gif

Soon my boy

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Just to compare, I went back to look at gaf's 2017 list.

1. Zelda
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon
4. RDR2
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Nier: Automata
7. Nioh
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. Ni No Kuni 2

So ends the Zelda/Persona streak, it was a good run. In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end. Like last year's list, Nintendo hasn't talked much about their 2018 slate, which they should be doing so in the coming month(s). I'm convinced some of the rankings would have switched (heh) around if we actually knew and have seen some of what was coming this year.

I also kind of wonder if KH3 would've been higher if more people believed it was coming out this year. :P
With PS4 having way more good\great titles than any other consoles and selling more consoles than any other console as well? What game other than Mario and MAYBE splatoon 2 would have been in this top 10?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No nintendo, so list is hella lopsided and very dull. I mean fucking David cage and a sotc remaster in the top ten makes 2018 look real anemic.

Praying for bayonetta 3 to save gaming in 2018
In your opinion .to me the list looks perfect as it is and heavy rain was a masterpiece so Detroit might turn out that way or at least people who are anticipating it hoping that it does .

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The top 3 is good stuff.
It's a genuine toss up between which would be my own personal order of those, but I'd give the edge to God of War, I'm too thirsty for more Kratos.

Glad to see Anthem nowhere near top 20.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
What Nintendo games specifically are you hyped for, or would change your opinion on the outlook for the year?
To be honest, I am not sure. I'm no pikmin, smash or Pokemon fan. The new yoshi and kirby don't seem like something I'll be hyped about either. Only MP4, Mario maker, fire emblem are things I'm looking forward to but I'm hoping that Nintendo don't rest on their laurels and keep on making new IPs like they did with Splatoon and ARMS. I just want to be surprised and want them to take risks with their classic IPs like they did with Zelda and Mario.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just to compare, I went back to look at gaf's 2017 list.

1. Zelda
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon
4. RDR2
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Nier: Automata
7. Nioh
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. Ni No Kuni 2

So ends the Zelda/Persona streak, it was a good run. In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end. Like last year's list, Nintendo hasn't talked much about their 2018 slate, which they should be doing so in the coming month(s). I'm convinced some of the rankings would have switched (heh) around if we actually knew and have seen some of what was coming this year.

How did it turn out in the end ? 2017 was one of the best years in gaming history for Playstation.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
We're talking about Nintendo games being absent from the 2017 most anticipated games.
Same for 2018. Since Nintendo play their cards very close to their chest, those lists are mostly useless at this time of the year.
As I said earlier, by next week, the results should be quite different if a Nintendo Direct happens.
Splatoon 2 and ARMS aren't winning any GOTY awards, so you're basically just arguing over the absence of one game last year: Mario Odyssey. The only other missing GOTY contenders weren't Nintendo games and were generally pretty big surprises (PUBG and Divinity: OS 2). So I'm not seeing what's so useless about it.

Ending votes for this kind of list at the start of 2018 makes perfect sense, it'd be ridiculous to push everything back a couple of weeks just to fit in the Nintendo Direct. At that point, you could easily continue arguing that it should be pushed back further and further because there's always something on the horizon that may lead to new announcements. If you have a problem with the lack of Nintendo games on the list, blame Nintendo.

Edit: Actually, Divinity was announced years ago, so it was eligible for last year's vote and just didn't have enough support to make it.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

The lack of Nintendo games on the list is a result of the lack Nintendo announcements for 2018.
This could change with the upcoming ND? Yeah it can, but also there is a chance it wont.
If we are going to take this route who knows what can happen at E3? Bethesda can come out and say "hey here is your TES VI, enjoy it in November", MS will probably come out with Forza Horizon 4 etc etc.
Anyway I dont see how ND could bring "quite a difference" maybe it could bring a "little diference" with Metroid and/or Pokemon if they are indeed 2018 games.
Just like Mario Odissey would the only one that would make into 2017 list even with we had dates for all Switch games back in the past.
Maybe Splatoon 2.
I must say tho that the former poster said "In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end." I don't know how this translates into this turns this lists useless but ok.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Well done Muzy and a full extra round of applause for counting the votes by hand to count all the ballots.
Little bummed that FighterZ and VC4 did not crack top 10 but seeing Yakuza slide in there for the first time redeems the list.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I am not sure. I'm no pikmin, smash or Pokemon fan. The new yoshi and kirby don't seem like something I'll be hyped about either. Only MP4, Mario maker, fire emblem are things I'm looking forward to but I'm hoping that Nintendo don't rest on their laurels and keep on making new IPs like they did with Splatoon and ARMS. I just want to be surprised and want them to take risks with their classic IPs like they did with Zelda and Mario.

But if you like games like Fire Emblem, whilst not necessarily the same, why aren't you interested in games like Ni No Kuni, Dragon Quest, Valkyria Chronicles etc? And if you're into Mario Maker, why not give Dreams a go? Sure it's not exactly the Mario formula, but you can be sure there'll be an insane amount of creativity and diversity of gameplay on offer, to the point where you could essentially make or play the genres of game that you wanted to.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is on the way. Most of the picks are ps4 exclusive. Glad I have one.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How did it turn out in the end? A fantastic year for gaming is definitely my take. I'd be ecstatic if there are two games of the caliber of Mario or Zelda out on the Switch in 2018.

Well the PS4 ended up selling 20.6 million consoles in 2017, which is its best selling 12 month period ever. So it turned out pretty good in the end.

With PS4 having way more good\great titles than any other consoles and selling more consoles than any other console as well? What game other than Mario and MAYBE splatoon 2 would have been in this top 10?

How did it turn out in the end ? 2017 was one of the best years in gaming history for Playstation.

I'm not trying to imply otherwise. 2017 is a win for all gamers, as OrdinaryPrime stated. It's not my intention to downplay PlayStation's success. I was just pointing out how the list was equally dominated by PlayStation associated titles, but's the same time it didn't really reflect how Nintendo, with the Switch and its releases, managed to alongside also capture the critical and commercial zeitgeist of 2017.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
Good list but it is nowhere near last year's list
2017 will be remembered as a legendary year no doubt

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of Nintendo games on the list is a result of the lack Nintendo announcements for 2018.
This could change with the upcoming ND? Yeah it can, but also there is a chance it wont.
If we are going to take this route who knows what can happen at E3? Bethesda can come out and say "hey here is your TES VI, enjoy it in November", MS will probably come out with Forza Horizon 4 etc etc.
Anyway I dont see how ND could bring "quite a difference" maybe it could bring a "little diference" with Metroid and/or Pokemon if they are indeed 2018 games.
Just like Mario Odissey would the only one that would make into 2017 list even with we had dates for all Switch games back in the past.
Maybe Splatoon 2.
I must say tho that the former poster said "In general, with the sole exception of Zelda, one would've believed 2017 to be Playstation's year as well, yet we all know how it turned out in the end." I don't know how this translates into this turns this lists useless but ok.

Splatoon ended up 6th in GAF 2015's GOTY list. By the 13th of January 2017, Spatoon 2 would have made the top 10.
2 big games missing out of 10, plus 2 that were guaranteed to be delayed, you're left with only 6 titles that truly represents 2017.
I think knowing Nintendo is a major player in the industry and usually makes a ND early January, it's a bit silly to not wait a few weeks. E3 is months away.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Gotta say, not looking forward to many games this year.

Out of the top 20, I only have 7 games that I voted for. And 2 of them were like, yeah sure, I'll list them just so my list isn't so small (Valkyria and Spider-Man).

Compared to last year where my entire list was in the top 20 (and I had more than 10 games!!)

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm interested in but not overly excited for Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm hoping Bloodstained and Mega Man at least turn out to be decent and worthy of a playthrough. Yoshi and Kirby have good qualities but I'm not particularly looking forward to them given how simplistic the games are.

I'm very curious to see what Retro's studio is doing even if it probably is a game as a service of some sort, but obviously Metroid Prime 4 is the one that I have my sights on.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Very good year.

Surprised DBFighterZ missed top 10, goes to show you how strong the year will be for games.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

The issue is not a lack of announcements, it's showing something only close to release.
So there's games that might be announced just months before release (like most in 2017), but there's also confirmed titles for 2018 where we don't know much:
Fire Emblem is just a logo, No More Heroes is just a CGI teaser, Pokemon might release this year but we don't have a logo, etc.
Whereas some of the Sony/MS games here have been announced since 2+ years.

Nothing wrong with that, but it just explains why Nintendo is often not included in those lists, yet often beating most of the games in those lists in the GOTY lists in the end.

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
So much Sony o_0
Glad KHIII made it but I think it deserves top 3 for the 10 years waiting.

Oct 29, 2017
Splatoon 2 would have definitely been above Gravity Rush and Ni No Kuni 2. Probably ARMS too. Heck maybe even 1-2 Switch at that moment (it sold 6x GR2 probably). Going from 1:10 to 3-4:10 does create a different top 10.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great list - lots of awesome games heading to us this year.
Though i feel we would have a better list/representation of the Most Wanted lists after the first Direct of the year.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 5th? Shame should be way higher, my hype for RDR2 dimished thanks to Rockstar/Take 2's greedy gta online mode tactics (shark cards focused online mode no fair grinding money takes too many hours should be less, can take several hours for just 1 car or property and even killing sigleplayer dlc). Probably one of the last rockstar games i will play if they keep that practice. Shame really they never were that greedy in the past was there a recent turn of board directors/shareholders?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 would have definitely been above Gravity Rush and Ni No Kuni 2. Probably ARMS too. Heck maybe even 1-2 Switch at that moment (it sold 6x GR2 probably). Going from 1:10 to 3-4:10 does create a different top 10.
1-2 sold because it was a launch title and nobody expected something great so I don't see why you think many would put it in their top 10 but whatever it doesn't matter since Mario and Splatoon 2 (if it does) would already take 9 and 10 out and there's no way in hell Arms or 1-2 switch would take any game from 1-8. So again 1 missing for sure and another maybe. If we're going to take count then there's always surprises that people would come back and vote for if they had the chance from games that isn't from Nintendo as well. maximum of two games isn't something that can render the list useless and make it unrepresentative of the year we had since it's the nature of these lists to miss a few of the big surprises throughout the year.