• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
residentevil2sysreqszidd8.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; demo build)
GameGPU (Russian; 15/02/2019 build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)
Techspot (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Fix washed out colours: Tweak your display settings. See this post for recommendations. (Credit to Paragon.)
Disable sharpening and/or cutscene letterboxing: Apply these patches to the game's executable. (Credit to jackfuste @ WSGF via disgraciau.)
Fix freeze upon interacting with the laptop in the main hall: Open SteamApps\common\RESIDENT EVIL 2 BIOHAZARD RE2\re2_config.ini and set UseVendorExtention to disable. (Credit to Valkerion.)
Disabling vignetting: Use this tool. (Credit to susahamat @ WSGF via The-Depth-In-Us.)
Remove 30fps cap on distant animations: Follow these instructions. (Credit to someone @ PCGW via Koklusz.)
Use DualShock button prompts: Install this mod. (Credit to XxCRAZYPOTATOxX @ Nexusmods via Koklusz.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

HDR mode: On/Off(?)
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area: Self-explanatory
Reticule color: White; Red; Blue; Green
Dot sight: White; Red; Blue; Green
Tutorials: Off/On
HUD: Off/On
Color space: sRGB/Rec. 709

Presets: Recommended; Max; Graphics priority; Balanced; Performance priority
Graphics API: DirectX 11/DirectX 12
Display mode: Fullscreen; Borderless window; Windowed
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Rendering mode: Normal/Interlaced
Image quality (resolution scale): 50% -> 200% in increments of 10%

Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Frame rate: 30fps; Variable; 60fps
Vsync: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; TAA; FXAA + TAA; SMAA
Texture quality: Low (0GB); Medium (0.25GB); Medium (0.5GB); High (0.25GB); High (0.5GB); High (1GB); High (2GB); High (3GB); High (4GB); High (6GB); High (8GB)
Texture filter quality: Low (bilinear); Medium (trilinear); High (aniso 2x); High (aniso 4x); High (aniso 8x); High (aniso 16x)

Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow quality: Min; Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow cache: Off/On
Contact shadows: Off/On
Screen-space reflections: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On

Volumetric lighting quality: Off; Low; Medium; High
Particle lighting quality: Low/High
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSAO (set areas only); SSAO; HDAO; HBAO+
Bloom: Off/On
Lens flare: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On

Depth of field: Off/On
Lens distortion: Off; On; On (+ chromatic aberration)
Film noise: Off/On

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Really hoping someone manages to mod out the timer soon, being in a rush is no way to enjoy RE.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping I can do 1080/60fps on a 1050ti at least on medium settings. My RAM and CPU are better than the recommended at least.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Maybe this is better suited for this thread:

So has anybody tried to freeze the address for the timer on cheat engine? I'm really not excited to download a demo with a timer on it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hard to use this as a benchmarking tool with the time limit, but on my new system I was getting what appeared outstanding results to me.

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070
1080p/144Hz monitor
DX12 mode

With pretty much all settings maxed (except for Textures, which can easily go over 8GB VRAM), I was seeing around 130-150fps average with drops to like 110-120 during fast camera movement.

GPU usage was around 80-95% and CPU usage I think was somewhere around 60% but I wasn't paying close attention.

I played RE7 on PS4, so I can't compare those, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Runs like a charm on a i5-2500, 16gb 1600mhz, and a 1060 6GB. I didn't put anything on ultra but I didn't notice any dip below 60 at any time.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
If there are really pixelated shadows lower reflections. Haven't played yet, but this was an issue in RE7, and if it is still the case it may be the same fix.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kind of hard to use this as a benchmarking tool with the time limit, but on my new system I was getting what appeared outstanding results to me.

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070

With pretty much all settings maxed (except for Textures, which can easily go over 8GB VRAM), I was seeing around 130-150fps average with drops to like 110-120 during fast camera movement.

GPU usage was around 80-95% and CPU usage I think was somewhere around 60% but I wasn't paying close attention.

8GB? Geez. What resolution?

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070

At 4k?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
At 4k max settings the game calls for about 14gb VRAM. It's insane...

Screen-space reflections in the main hall are terrible, tons of clipping.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the shadows in this game are super expensive (vram usage). I think DX12 mode might be ass, need to confirm though

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've got a 2080 and I'm seeing that VRAM usage and I'm getting a little sick to my stomach. Anyone with a similar setup that has results? (2700x, 16GB RAM, 2080)

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
"Ok, this works...for now....When you are running out of time - minimize demo (alt+tab) and terminate process through task manager. Start game - you have 30 minutes again.

Tested couple of times - it works...for now."

From steam forum.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
"Ok, this works...for now....When you are running out of time - minimize demo (alt+tab) and terminate process through task manager. Start game - you have 30 minutes again.

From steam forum.

Thanks for the hot tip. We really do need more time to try these settings out and, also, enjoy the game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

From steam forum.

Doesn't surprise me. Setting a time limit on a PC demo seemed like a poor decision. Obviously people will get around it on PC.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

From steam forum.
Wait I thought the 30 minute timer was per run, as in you can finish then reboot the game to start again, is this not the case?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Wait I thought the 30 minute timer was per run, as in you can finish then reboot the game to start again, is this not the case?

The demo is designed to be played one time only. Capcom said it's to prevent players from getting used to and developing good strategies for the Zombies before the game officially launches.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, tried to take some 4k Max settings screenshots but cranking the game to that literally brought my system to its knees on my 2080, froze for a bit. This game is a beast...

Btw, HDR in the game directly communicates with your display. You don't have to turn HDR on in Windows 10.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on with the textures taking up so much vram? That has to be a bug right?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Real question, can you pirate something that is free? Like what's the legal nature of breaking through the timer system.

Umm...not sure how circumventing the timer constitutes pirating. Not really sure if their is a legal precedence for this case...at least a prosecutable one. I'm not a lawyer though, so I can't really give authentic legal advice in any case.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Sorry guys, tried to take some 4k Max settings screenshots but cranking the game to that literally brought my system to its knees on my 2080, froze for a bit. This game is a beast...

Btw, HDR in the game directly communicates with your display. You don't have to turn HDR on in Windows 10.
How does it perform 1 step down?