• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Resident Evil 2 (2019) PC performance thread [demo edition]

JaseC

🌞You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel🌞
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info; click here for the demo.)

System requirements:

Latest drivers: (as at 11/01/2019)
Nvidia: 417.58
AMD: 19.1.1
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; demo build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times (1): Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Potentially improve frame times (2): Use exclusive fullscreen rather than borderless fullscreen.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Extend/pause the timer: See this post. (Credit to dmix90.)

When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@JaseC) as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
HDR mode: On/Off(?)
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area: Self-explanatory
Reticule color: White; Red; Blue; Green
Dot sight: White; Red; Blue; Green
Tutorials: Off/On
HUD: Off/On
Color space: sRGB/Rec. 709

Presets: Recommended; Max; Graphics priority; Balanced; Performance priority
Graphics API: DirectX 11/DirectX 12
Display mode: Fullscreen; Borderless window; Windowed
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Rendering mode: Normal/Interlaced
Image quality (resolution scale): 50% -> 200% in increments of 10%

Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Frame rate: 30fps; Variable; 60fps
Vsync: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; TAA; FXAA + TAA; SMAA
Texture quality: Low (0GB); Medium (0.25GB); Medium (0.5GB); High (0.25GB); High (0.5GB); High (1GB); High (2GB); High (3GB); High (4GB); High (6GB); High (8GB)
Texture filter quality: Low (bilinear); Medium (trilinear); High (aniso 2x); High (aniso 4x); High (aniso 8x); High (aniso 16x)

Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow quality: Min; Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow cache: Off/On
Contact shadows: Off/On
Screen-space reflections: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On

Volumetric lighting quality: Off; Low; Medium; High
Particle lighting quality: Low/High
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSAO (set areas only); SSAO; HDAO; HBAO+
Bloom: Off/On
Lens flare: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On

Depth of field: Off/On
Lens distortion: Off; On; On (+ chromatic aberration)
Film noise: Off/On

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
Maybe this is better suited for this thread:

So has anybody tried to freeze the address for the timer on cheat engine? I'm really not excited to download a demo with a timer on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Kind of hard to use this as a benchmarking tool with the time limit, but on my new system I was getting what appeared outstanding results to me.

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070
1080p/144Hz monitor
DX12 mode

With pretty much all settings maxed (except for Textures, which can easily go over 8GB VRAM), I was seeing around 130-150fps average with drops to like 110-120 during fast camera movement.

GPU usage was around 80-95% and CPU usage I think was somewhere around 60% but I wasn't paying close attention.

I played RE7 on PS4, so I can't compare those, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
Runs like a charm on a i5-2500, 16gb 1600mhz, and a 1060 6GB. I didn't put anything on ultra but I didn't notice any dip below 60 at any time.

May 17, 2018
If there are really pixelated shadows lower reflections. Haven't played yet, but this was an issue in RE7, and if it is still the case it may be the same fix.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kind of hard to use this as a benchmarking tool with the time limit, but on my new system I was getting what appeared outstanding results to me.

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070

With pretty much all settings maxed (except for Textures, which can easily go over 8GB VRAM), I was seeing around 130-150fps average with drops to like 110-120 during fast camera movement.

GPU usage was around 80-95% and CPU usage I think was somewhere around 60% but I wasn't paying close attention.

8GB? Geez. What resolution?

Oct 30, 2017

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
RTX 2070

At 4k?

Oct 25, 2017
At 4k max settings the game calls for about 14gb VRAM. It's insane...

Screen-space reflections in the main hall are terrible, tons of clipping.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The highest Texture setting uses 8GB of VRAM by itself, which leaves no room for anything else on my GPU. I'm using the textures that take 4GB, which is putting me at about 6GB VRAM usage total.

Oh sorry, 1080p/144Hz.
Good lord... 8GB of vram at 1080p. Wow.

Jun 4, 2018
I've got a 2080 and I'm seeing that VRAM usage and I'm getting a little sick to my stomach. Anyone with a similar setup that has results? (2700x, 16GB RAM, 2080)

Oct 29, 2017
"Ok, this works...for now....When you are running out of time - minimize demo (alt+tab) and terminate process through task manager. Start game - you have 30 minutes again.

Tested couple of times - it works...for now."

From steam forum.

Oct 25, 2017
"Ok, this works...for now....When you are running out of time - minimize demo (alt+tab) and terminate process through task manager. Start game - you have 30 minutes again.

From steam forum.
Thanks for the hot tip. We really do need more time to try these settings out and, also, enjoy the game.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

From steam forum.
Doesn't surprise me. Setting a time limit on a PC demo seemed like a poor decision. Obviously people will get around it on PC.

May 17, 2018

From steam forum.
Wait I thought the 30 minute timer was per run, as in you can finish then reboot the game to start again, is this not the case?

Oct 27, 2017
Wait I thought the 30 minute timer was per run, as in you can finish then reboot the game to start again, is this not the case?
No, it's 30 minutes ONCE per account. If you finish it once, if you still have time, you can replay as long as you're within 30 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The demo is designed to be played one time only. Capcom said it's to prevent players from getting used to and developing good strategies for the Zombies before the game officially launches.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, tried to take some 4k Max settings screenshots but cranking the game to that literally brought my system to its knees on my 2080, froze for a bit. This game is a beast...

Btw, HDR in the game directly communicates with your display. You don't have to turn HDR on in Windows 10.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Real question, can you pirate something that is free? Like what's the legal nature of breaking through the timer system.
Umm...not sure how circumventing the timer constitutes pirating. Not really sure if their is a legal precedence for this case...at least a prosecutable one. I'm not a lawyer though, so I can't really give authentic legal advice in any case.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Sorry guys, tried to take some 4k Max settings screenshots but cranking the game to that literally brought my system to its knees on my 2080, froze for a bit. This game is a beast...

Btw, HDR in the game directly communicates with your display. You don't have to turn HDR on in Windows 10.
How does it perform 1 step down?