• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I have a request, since you know how to work the Hex editing. Can you remove the sharpening filter they put over the game? (it's really apparent with TAA off)

I've enabled 8x anti aliasing with NVIDIA settings as well as MF and it actually looks good now with the hair being less pixelated with TAA and FXAA off. I just need that sharpening filter out to see if it fully mitigates the remaining issues.

I have no idea, I just followed the guide that is available in PCGamingWiki: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_2_(2019)#Vignette

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017

But we don't know how the final build will end up performing.

The Pro runs very disappointingly at the moment. Its wavinging between 50-60fps pretty much all the time.
Very inconsistant.

I hope the final game will be better.

Thank you all. I def should have searched a bit deeper. Just in the middle of an internal brain conflict of whether I should be building a new PC now or if the consoles can still hold up for me. And that release date is creeping up!

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This game ran great on my GTX 970 and i7 870. Stable 60 on high. My old as hell cpu keeps going and going!

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
1080ti overclocked on water
4790k@ 4.6 also on water
16gb ram.

4k all settings maxed except AA off and godrays on medium. Game runs a solid 60fps

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Has anyone figured out a way to stop the timer using Cheat Engine yet?
Windows Defender blocks the trainer, and it looks like it's going to request Admin permissions too, so there's no way I will run it on my system. Manually resetting the demo (deleting the saves and resetting the achievements) is getting tiring.

Okay, I think I know why people are complaining that the game looks "washed out" after seeing these screenshots - you left the display settings on the defaults!
You must calibrate the display settings for this game!

I will add that having examined the calibration settings more in-depth, I actually think that Rec. 709 profile is useful in this game. If I recall correctly, RE7 did not have the max/min brightness settings, which are critical for this.

Default settings:
srgb-default-q9jmt.jpg

Calibrated sRGB settings:
srgb-min-1-nxkmb.jpg

Calibrated Rec.709 settings:
rec709-9ljui.jpg

Note: you absolutely must leave the "film noise" setting enabled to prevent posterization/banding in the shadows.
I brightened up the shadows in the Rec. 709 screenshot with the setting on/off for comparison:
film-noise-9qkh3.gif

You also have to set the minimum brightness one step lower than it requests, so that the pattern disappears or else the brightness calibration will not work correctly.
The settings used for sRGB are:
  • Maximum Brightness: 1 below the maximum
  • Minimum Brightness: The lowest setting
  • Brightness: -6 from center (5th marking from the left)
The settings used for Rec. 709 are:
  • Maximum Brightness: 1 below the maximum
  • Minimum Brightness: The lowest setting
  • Brightness: 1 left of center (10th marking from the left)
Thank you!
How do you disable vignette effect?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
LRlb8A2.png

This is max settings w/o TAA or FXAA but SMAA and NVIDIA's 8x anti aliasing and MFAA settings on. I need to get rid of the sharpening filter before I can see how this game is really supposed to look on pc ;)

I found these in the Hex editor. I just have no clue how to Hex edit.
Vrw7Bm3.png

&
CV2QlSf.png

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This game ran great on my GTX 970 and i7 870. Stable 60 on high. My old as hell cpu keeps going and going!
Haven't played the demo but I expected/hoped for this level of performance, since it uses the RE7 engine which ran on my OC'D GTX 970 fantastically. Of course I imagine the texture quality will be weak in areas too. The engine is very geared towards character and creature model quality, lighting, and other special effects.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I see some of y'all talking about disabling the in-game timer. How would one reasonably go through that?

I don't want to make a burner Steam account but I wanna try to give the demo another run without anything running in the background to see if my PC is finally breaking at the default settings. It did get choppy for me, and if it did during dialog, this broke the cutscenes.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I see some of y'all talking about disabling the in-game timer. How would one reasonably go through that?

I don't want to make a burner Steam account but I wanna try to give the demo another run without anything running in the background to see if my PC is finally breaking at the default settings. It did get choppy for me, and if it did during dialog, this broke the cutscenes.

Delete your save (Steam\userdata\[account id]\961440\remote) and use SAM to relock your achievements, and use this trainer to lock the timer while playing.

Edit: Added this to the OP.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
tried it on my mobile 1050 GTX 2Gb and it ran smooth 60fps on 1080p and some of the things set too low and some of the heavier things off. and it looked good i think. im quite chocked over how good performance it was. i think i can crank some things up and go for a stabile 30fps instead.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Playing on a decent-ish gaming laptop (1070 8gb, i7 7700q) it ran on ultra 1080p at 58-60fps with just minor dips pre cutscenes. I want to believe that, being a demo, performance will be better than on pro, but I´m not so sure.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
It ran choppy on my 970 + i5 6600k, but I was playing at 1440p. RE7 just barely maintained 1080p/60fps on the 970 with a few settings lowered, I think 1440p 60fps is out of the question unless everything is dialed to low. Someone will release a $250ish card with 1070+ level performance before RE2 launches, right?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
LRlb8A2.png

This is max settings w/o TAA or FXAA but SMAA and NVIDIA's 8x anti aliasing and MFAA settings on. I need to get rid of the sharpening filter before I can see how this game is really supposed to look on pc ;)

I found these in the Hex editor. I just have no clue how to Hex edit.
Vrw7Bm3.png

&
CV2QlSf.png
This engine is a hot mess when it comes to image quality. Oversharpened image without AA and blurry mess with TAA. FXAA and SMAA barely seem to work. Capcom is clearly aiming for the filmic and CGI look with heavy post processing.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Added this to the OP.
I don't think you need the SAM thing? I never used the SAM thing. ;p

Btw I falsely told Pargon that I don't get the Windows admin prompt , I definitely do, it's just I don't even notice anymore, there are so many programs I use often that for some reason require admin rights (GPUZ, hwmonitor, malwarebytes, MSI Afterburner, etc...)

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about the Windows Defender notice, I of course have to give elevation to the trainer just like everybody else.

Ah my b, I misread.

Regarding SmartScreen, it's possible you both downloaded it from different places and they have different SmartScreen reputations because of it.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
The 1080 Ti has 11GB of VRAM but I get the warning message once I hit total ~
8GB usage in the graphics settings...what gives?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Sure, here you have some. I'll put them in spoiler because there are plenty of pictures (above: Vignetting, below: No vignetting):

961440_201901131558216zj8t.png
961440_20190113155817pmjj3.png

961440_201901131558452jjvq.png
961440_201901131558432jj6m.png

961440_20190113160003xhkat.png
961440_20190113160001jejq2.png

961440_20190113160216jwkju.png
961440_20190113160214m0jp9.png

961440_201901131604051xk5i.png
961440_201901131604042ljui.png

961440_20190113160912g6jdm.png
961440_20190113160905zljjl.png

961440_20190113161229vxjk7.png

961440_20190113161231dmk77.png

In the last picture you can see that disabling vignetting causes a small graphical glitch (look the window), but it comes back as normal once you approach to it.
Are these screens native 1080p with TAA?

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
For anybody interested, my final settings for a solid 60/and very close to 4K, on a 1080ti were as follows:

Graphics API : Direct X11 (8-10fps increase over DX12 with no visual quality loss)

Display mode : Full screen

Resolution : 3840x2160

Rendering mode : Normal

Image quality : 90% (Important for stable 60fps, at 100% it is impossible to maintain 60 without visual quality loss from other settings, whilst I know this isn't "true 4K" this is as close as you can get without visual compromise)

Refresh rate : 60.00Hz

Frame rate : 60

Vsync : On

Anti Aliasing : FXAA+TAA

Texture quality : High 8GB (ignore the VRAM warning, it's borked and isn't representative of real usage at least for a 1080ti)

Texture filter quality : High x16 AF (of course)

Mesh quality : MAX

Shadow quality : MAX

Shadow cache : ON (important, gives a 5-7fps boost being on)

Contact shadows : ON

Screen space reflections : ON

Subsurface scattering : ON

Volumetric lighting quality : Medium (important, gives a 10+ FPS gain, impossible to tell the difference between medium and high at least to my eyes.)

Particle lighting quality : High

Ambient occlusion : HBAO+ (Can drop to SSAO for a small gain of 3fps but there is slight image degradation in some areas, mostly unnoticeable though.)

Bloom : ON

Lens Flare : ON

Motion Blur : ON (I normally turn this off but the implementation here seems very good.)

Depth of Field : On

Lens distortion : Off (Personal preference.)

Film grain : Off (personal preference and imo enhances the visual quality and leaves a darker feel to the image )

I also have my FOV silder under "Camera" set two notches above default (please give us numerical values Capcom.)

And I would recommend playing around with SRGB and Rec because the latter for me (despite using full RGB on my PC and viewing device) was darker and provided a better image quality than SRGB, it's supposed to be the other way around so I don't know if this is borked as well but that sorted out my brightness issues in the main hall.

Thanks for the detailed summary!

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, got into the game. It is hanging on the story loading screen, where it talks about Leon coming to town, seeing zombies, getting separated from Claire, and going to the police station. Stuck on 20% for a few minutes.

I meet minimum requirements, but I'll have to upgrade.

Wanted to get new Ryzen processors, but don't know if I want to wait that long...

EDIT: Hard shutdown, will retry tomorrow.

Last edited:

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Screen-space reflections is such an FPS killer.
I go down 10fps simply by turning it on. Doesn't matter where in the game.

I can manage a decent 55-60fps for most of the game with everything at around medium and high (1080p) I'm just worried later in the game its gonna wreck me.

i5 [email protected]
1050ti
16gb ram

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I don't know if this has been mentioned already but I wanted to point out the reason why screenshots being posted in this thread look washed out. Its the browser. I checked Chrome, Firefox and Opera and they all exhibit the same behavior. If you save the screenshot and view it in an image viewer application or default Windows Photos app, you see correct black levels. The same picture when viewed in any of the browsers appears washed out. Wonder what could be causing this. Hardware acceleration setting in browsers?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screen-space reflections is such an FPS killer.
I go down 10fps simply by turning it on. Doesn't matter where in the game.

I can manage a decent 55-60fps for most of the game with everything at around medium and high (1080p) I'm just worried later in the game its gonna wreck me.

i5 [email protected]
1050ti
16gb ram
A 1050ti will probably play this but mostly on low, idk I just got a 1060 and I'm very happy to be able to play at recommended settings which is a mix of high, med and low, I could up the textures a little, running at 98%GPU usage, I just can't see a 1050ti doing basically the same, it's significantly weaker.

I don't know if has been mentioned already but I wanted to point out the reason why screenshots being posted in this thread look washed out. Its the browser. I checked Chrome, Firefox and Opera and they all exhibit the same behavior. If you save the screenshot and view it in an image viewer application or default Windows Photos app, you see correct black levels. The same picture when viewed in any of the browsers appears washed out. Wonder what could be causing this. Hardware acceleration setting in browsers?
That's the thing with screen shots generally, my picture looks really crisp with rec 709 settings on my ips monitor it would probably still look similar on my phone's ips screen, but who knows how it would look in everyone's else's screens.
The browser thing is curiosity of course.

Last edited:

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
On my side I am amazed how well optimized the game is. I am playing on a mini PC (Zotac En760) which has low laptops specs (i5 low voltage, 8GB DDR3 and GTX860m GDDR5 2GB). Medium quality textures, AA to the max, filtering x16, runs in the lower 50s FPS at 1360x768, the resolution of my old TV.

By locking at 30fps, I can even crank up a few things without a single dip below 30FPS. Amazing.

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Which makes me think that if RE7 is equally well optimized, I might consider buying it. Should be right, as it is the same engine?

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
2700X
RTX 2070 OCed

Getting +100 fps at 1440p all maxed out in DX11
Pretty happy with it, it just needs some tweaks here and there.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Gamegpu.ru benchmark

They should just remove DX12 from the final game with this performance tbh.
No, without it the game cannot have DXR ray Traced relecftions which are coming. This is a pre-release build and it clearly has issues, I covered a comparison in my video on DX11 and DX12 at the weekend, around 18% worse in DX12 like for like but I am sure it will be much better. Games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider can see 50% improvement from DX12 to DX11 on Nvidia and a smaller margin on AMD cards which I just covered recently. A new API like this will always have teething issues and developers need to understand it, learn and tweak.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I thought this game had a sharpening fitler, RE7 didn't look this bad with TAA off, it also looks like the dithering is worse which probably can't be fixed, it seems a popular optimisation these days is to make the hair alpha very low quality, like 1bit & just get TAA to hide it. FFXV does it too & probably Console exclusives where we can't turn the TAA off.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I thought this game had a sharpening fitler, RE7 didn't look this bad with TAA off, it also looks like the dithering is worse which probably can't be fixed, it seems a popular optimisation these days is to make the hair alpha very low quality, like 1bit & just get TAA to hide it. FFXV does it too & probably Console exclusives where we can't turn the TAA off.
You can turn off the sharpening filter, it's in the PCGamingWiki page of the game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Vignetting and sharpening can be disabled by hex editing the executable. https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_2_(2019)#Sharpening
I was surprised to see that it is actually being sharpened, as the results are still quite soft when TAA is enabled.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
No, without it the game cannot have DXR ray Traced relecftions which are coming. This is a pre-release build and it clearly has issues, I covered a comparison in my video on DX11 and DX12 at the weekend, around 18% worse in DX12 like for like but I am sure it will be much better. Games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider can see 50% improvement from DX12 to DX11 on Nvidia and a smaller margin on AMD cards which I just covered recently. A new API like this will always have teething issues and developers need to understand it, learn and tweak.
Do you still believe DXR support is coming? There has been no further word on the topic since the first word on it from DF at Gamescom 2018. They or NVIDIA would have advertised it by now.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Any decent DX11/12 comparisons? Seems like framerate is the only major difference here, and clearly in the favor of DX11.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do those look?

20190114111434_1.jpg

20190114110628_1.jpg

20190114110435_1.jpg

Rec. 709, no calibration, I think looks good? Wouldn't want it any darker tbh (it's already really dark on my screen except the mainhall)