• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wish the Mouse Sensitivity slider had a lower range. Even with both sliders all the way to the left, the ADS sens still feels way too high. I use 1600dpi for fast desktop browsing, but always set a very low in-game sens for fine aim and this RE2 demo is the first game I've run into where I can't set the sensitivity low enough without just dropping the DPI to 800.

Having a mouse with a DPI toggle button has been a godsend for me for this reason. I toggle it between 1600 DPI on my desktop and 800 DPI whenever I play a game.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Game has a ton of graphic options. Thanks for that, Capcom!

My rig:

i7 4790k
1080Ti OC
16GB RAM
Win10

Setttings:

- 1872p (1440p + 30%)
- DX11 (significally better performance than DX12)
- maxed out except: CA, fimgrain, DOF, motion blur, all turned off
- TAA (every other AA-option sucks)
- Textures : 4GB

Performance: ~80FPS with 2-3 dips to 60FPS

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wont post the link until I know its safe but this has popped up...

TScG4ad.png

Edit: Can somebody confirm I can actually post it without getting banhammered to oblivion?

Interesting.

At work, would love if someone can verify this :)

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Well. DX12 is trash (GTX970), same settings = noticeably worse performance.. like ~7-10fps worse.

I guess this is not a surprise for Maxwell architecture though.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now that the time limiter has been 'fixed' maybe Capcom can 'fix' it themselves so that those of us who don't visit pirate sites can share in this.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
3440x1440 70-100fps (capped).

All maxed apart from AA (off) and Textures (High 6GB).

Ryzen 1700
Titan X Pascal
16GB RAM

One of the few games where that extra GB of VRAM on the Titan X Pascal over the 1080Ti is a blessing.

Also worth noting, whilst the gameplay is all ultrawide, none of the cutscenes (even in-engine) are Ultrawide.
Is 11 GB not enough to max out textures?

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I get almost 60 fps@1080p with gtx 1050ti, mostly high some medium settings. Great optimization similar to RE7.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a weird visual glitch when examining the computer in the lobby. Looks exactly like this video posted on the Steam forum:

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
With a mix of high settings at 1080p I get 90+fps on ryzen 2600, 16gb3000, rx480.
Nice performance and game looks awesome.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the TAA in this game is really strong. The game's assets are really not meant to be viewed without TAA though because they have so much unintentional high frequency noise, shader aliasing, shimmering and other stuff going on without it. Additionally, you can notice the low resolution assets like the metal work on the railings very easily whereas with TAA everything is blurred out and gives everything a soft CG like look....but the blur is indeed quite heavy

SMAA:
Khx5TkU.png

FXAA + TAA
LcMA7Rw.png

But then for some reason you sometimes end up with cases like this here where TAA completely gets rid of ANY specularity when there should be a specularity. (I should make a note that this specularity on blood is FULL of shimmering and pixel crawling, but the weird thing is that while it's normal for TAA to reduces the specular highlights a bit it is odd for it to completely removes it)

SMAA
Q4seizn.png

FXAA+TAA

TJZY49B.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have this problem?

I tried it five times and kept getting this. It wasn't until I switched from DirectX 11 to 12 that it was able to play the cutscene properly.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
about the VRAM some games just take up whatever extra because it can. Just because it can use 14gb at 4k ultra doesn't necessarily mean it needs to or will try to on a 6gb card

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea what that codec pack may be? I'll try updating my current one...
Any idea what that codec pack may be? I'll try updating my current one...

This should help:

Do you have Windows Media Codec installed? The game relies on Windows' WMV codec. Some European Windows do not come with the codec due to the Microsoft antitrust case with the EU Commission.

If you have the stripped down "N" edition Windows, you'll need to install the codec pack below:

For Windows 10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

Windows 7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

Windows 8.1
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I noticed a little bit of stuttering at times, it may be due to having something up too high though, I'd like a good 30 minutes just to tweak the settings. I used DX12, but didn't get to try it vs DX11. I played with most things on and/or high at 1080p and got anywhere from 70 - 144fps depending on the scene. GTX 1080, 8600K @ 5GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, SSD.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand the various "High" texture settings. Is it just the amount of textures the game preloads while loading? As in if you set it to High (0.25) then the game is almost always streaming from HDD whereas if you set it to High (8GB) the game loads the whole level in one go without any streaming? Because as far as texture quality go all versions of high look the same to me but I haven't tested it out properly.

Also for some reason SSAO and HBAO+ look pretty much the same in this game in terms of shadowing accuracy (not resolution because HBAO+ is obviouslly full resolution and as such won't have any flickering), whereas HDAO looks considerably lighter.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I don't quite understand the various "High" texture settings. Is it just the amount of textures the game preloads while loading? As in if you set it to High (0.25) then the game is almost always streaming from HDD whereas if you set it to High (8GB) the game loads the whole level in one go without any streaming? Because as far as texture quality go all versions of high look the same to me but I haven't tested it out properly.

Also SSAO and HBAO+ look pretty much the same in this game in terms of shadowing accuracy (not resolution because HBAO+ is obviouslly full resolution and as such won't have any flickering), whereas HDAO looks considerably lighter.

Very insteresting, please continue to post your findings.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's a remake, but since they are making some cool changes and adding new stuff - would it hurt to modify the old knife-combat system. It just feels weird in a modern-looking game, seriously. And I would love to finish off zombies after they fall down, like in Dead Space.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
BTW you can just make a new Steam account for another 30 minutes, that's what I'm doing now, mostly to tweak settings. You can use a temp email service to speed up the process: https://temp-mail.org/

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

This, or using uncompressed versions of textures, is what I expect is happening.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Just played 5 mins on my 1080ti, I7 3970x and I gotta say, at 4k max settings I cannot get 60fps stable, even when dropping down to 80% rendering it does not maintain 60fps.

Is this just me?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
According to the in game counter it can go up to 13,5GBVram usage.

I went well beyond the theoretical limit of my 1080 and didn't notice stutters due to Vram's lack though.
I feel like I've always went beyond my GPU's VRAM, especially when I was still using a 3 GB 780 but never really noticed stuttering as well. I think the last time that has ever been a problem for me was many years ago when I was still using a Geforce 4 and 256 MB GPUs were a luxury.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
think I found a sweet spot for 60 with 1gb textures and I honestly cant tell a difference from 2gb, i must be blind /shrug

most of the settings at medium with all the bells and whistles turned on (your SSAOs and reflections and shit). This is on 4690k and 970.

dx12 is noticiably worse than dx11 for me tho.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
about the VRAM some games just take up whatever extra because it can. Just because it can use 14gb at 4k ultra doesn't necessarily mean it needs to or will try to on a 6gb card

True but the demo never used more then 7.5GB (at 1440p) for me. The in game settings suggest that 12.5GB of Vram are needed though.
There is either something wrong with the calculation OR those high res textures are not present in the demo build because they didn't want to inflate the download for 30min of gameplay.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah or maybe optimization is not that great. Also getting slight stutter and hiccups on my gtx 970.
Dropped from Max settings:

-DX11
-Texture Quality to High(1gb)
-Shadows to High
-Volumetric Lighting to Medium
-Resolution is at 1920x1080 (with internal res at 110%)

...and it's pretty damn smooth in the lobby and in general gameplay but when you crawl under fence to get to the east wing and mini cutscene with Leon looking around with his flashlight starts -> performance drops to ~50fps for some reason.

6700k + GTX 970 and i am trying to get stable 60

One thing for sure... PC version looks much much better than what i have seen on PS4 Pro. Demo is probably not Pro enhanced other than unlocked framerate though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Just played 5 mins on my 1080ti, I7 3970x and I gotta say, at 4k max settings I cannot get 60fps stable, even when dropping down to 80% rendering it does not maintain 60fps.

Is this just me?
No it's normal. I can't maintain 60FPS on a GTX1080+6700K even at 1440P.
The game's just demanding.

I recommend dropping HBAO+ to SSAO (not HDAO as that one is too light) and Volumetric to medium, the difference in this game is imperceptible even in side by side comparison and you likely won't find any until you zoom in on images. Also drop the textures from High (8GB) to High (6GB) (or even lower, it seems to just decide how much of texture is streamed from HDD and how much is preloaded initially) because at 80% of 4K you are using a lot of your video memory.

I'm not sure about performance in DX11 vs DX12 as I only tried DX12.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Guys how are you determining VRAM usage?
I hope you're not just looking at Afterburner or something because afaik that's usually what VRAM a game reserves (which I think a lot of times is just all that's available)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
DX12 caused a crash. Switched to Dx11 and gained roughly 30-40 fps on average.

Downsampled to 1440 on a 1080 monitor with everything maxed including textures and I was getting between 120-150 fps with some drops into the low 100s.

Demo ran out of time before I could really play around with settings.