• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm under the impression the game is meant to get RT reflections, this video shows screen space reflections.
The only place where I see any "difference" is his face and his vest. Which looks super ridiculous, unless we are to believe it's raining outside and he just entered all wet and stuff. But then his shirt itself looks dry. That and there are some lighting and shadowing in other scenes, nothing too drastic tbh but that may be due to PC's higher settings rather than rtx.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is it just me or is the knife in the game really OP? I was crushing zombies with the knife left right and centre lol. Game is awesome, got the performance settings fixed and working great and then the damn demo time runs out :-(.

(Shotgun is super satisfying.)

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
BTW, binaural sound settings is only for headphones?
Audio Engineer here. True Binaural audio is headphones only. Binaural literally means "2 ears". Its intended to simulate the phase correlation between audio hitting your two ears which helps give the impression of 3 dimensional sound.

Running it through speakers would be adding a whole other layer between the sound and your ears and would no longer give the 3 dimensional effect.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then I'm not sure why he looks completely dry on the PS4 footage, they can still fake wet surfaces with shaders as every other game did before rtx came out.

Because on the Ps4 footage, they likely didnt got outside. Basically Leon being wet depends if you left outside before the cutscene.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
If that's the case then I'm not sure why he looks completely dry on the PS4 footage, they can still fake wet surfaces with shaders as every other game did before rtx came out.

Exactly, this could be done without RTX, as can most things, albeit faked but nonetheless, it can be done.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
it's weird, i can't seem to get good black levels on my OLED LG... it works fine with every game but not there! When you're in the pitch black corridor and you use the flashlight, the black all around leon is pretty bright... i don't know if it's on purpose!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game looks great on my PC. No blur, no jaggies.

Gunplay is not good at all. The pistol feels like garbage. Shotgun is a little better, but still not great. Game looks really good, wish it played a bit better

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
All the reflections from the trailers that looked like they could maybe be due to RTX are in the game with SSR on (like bottom of toilets being reflected in a puddle beneath). This game doesn't have any RTX support and the Capcom people that confirmed it to DF probably just confused it with DLSS which is announced.
Not a rumor. It's confirmed.

Although it looks a bit odd because Leon is so shiny, if it's due to him being in the rain then that's fine but if that's sweat then lol !

Well so was was under the VRAM limit when I turned shadow caching off and yet it affected my performance significantly.

This is not really confirmation of raytracing. It's just the game running on RTX cards.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this will run on my PC. I can run RE7 at 1440p/60fps, but 4K is like 30-50fps at max settings.

GTX 1080
i7 7700K @ 4.7 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The only place where I see any "difference" is his face and his vest. Which looks super ridiculous, unless we are to believe it's raining outside and he just entered all wet and stuff. But then his shirt itself looks dry. That and there are some lighting and shadowing in other scenes, nothing too drastic tbh but that may be due to PC's higher settings rather than rtx.

Oh man i hate comparisons like this with different gamma/color space, a lot of people are going to be like "PS4 has better shadows!"
Gonna have to wait until DF for a good comparison, im going to bet Consoles are something like high settings for most, medium/high for shadows & contact shadows off, low/medium for volumetric lighting, SSAO & TAA+FXAA

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man i hate comparisons like this with different gamma/color space, a lot of people are going to be like "PS4 has better shadows!"
Gonna have to wait until DF for a good comparison, im going to bet Consoles are something like high settings for most, medium/high for shadows & contact shadows off, low/medium for volumetric lighting, SSAO & TAA+FXAA
Indeed.
Btw I found something.

PS Pro in that video
DlvskgZ.png

Screenshot I took on my PC at max settings.
IMl30Qi.png

PC in that video
VNKyr2j.png

PS Pro in that video:
4HTtheo.png

Screenshot I took on my PC:
BoadjCv.png

PC in that video:
Rvb1yBj.png

At this point I just feel any changes in any of the comparisons above are a change in artistic direction and that PC footage in that video is just old footage and PS4 version is newer footage.

Last edited:

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTX 1080
i7 6700K
16GB RAM

Game seems to run perfectly fine at 1080p with max settings. Didn't see a drop below 60, VRAM maxed out at 6.5GB. Guessing the demo doesn't actually have the high-res textures considering the small size. Visually, kinda looks more underwhelming than I expected. Also looks quite washed out, which is strange.
19fc5d3e93.png

006213c4a1.png
c2c6c6942d.png

ef9478c7ec.png

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
I wish the Mouse Sensitivity slider had a lower range. Even with both sliders all the way to the left, the ADS sens still feels way too high. I use 1600dpi for fast desktop browsing, but always set a very low in-game sens for fine aim and this RE2 demo is the first game I've run into where I can't set the sensitivity low enough without just dropping the DPI to 800.

I recommend using povohat's mouse interception driver/library. The UI for it is written by a person called Kovaak.
http://mouseaccel.blogspot.com/2015/12/new-method-for-mouse-acceleration.html

The software is at the mega.nz mirror. Using this you can tweak your mouse sensitivity with otherwise impossible precision. The original purpose of it was to allow very configurable mouse acceleration in games where it's desired, instead of being stuck with Windows' basic fixed, linear rate.

For your use purpose, it should allow you to lower your sensitivity to levels below what's possible in this game, without changing your DPI or the Windows mouse sensitivity setting. Simply lower the Post-Scale X value and leave everything else alone.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if the in game setting show my VRAM correctly. I got 1070ti so I think I should have 8GB but in game it shown as 3.97GB or something. Is this normal?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend using povohat's mouse interception driver/library. The UI for it is written by a person called Kovaak.
http://mouseaccel.blogspot.com/2015/12/new-method-for-mouse-acceleration.html

The software is at the mega.nz mirror. Using this you can tweak your mouse sensitivity with otherwise impossible precision. The original purpose of it was to allow very configurable mouse acceleration in games where it's desired, instead of being stuck with Windows' basic fixed, linear rate.

For your use purpose, it should allow you to lower your sensitivity to levels below what's possible in this game, without changing your DPI or the Windows mouse sensitivity setting. Simply lower the Post-Scale X value and leave everything else alone.
Thanks for the tip. I know of Kovaak from his aim training program.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quickly played through it on my Acer Nitro 5 Laptop and was sitting at a decent 75-85fps (with a mix of high/medium settings @1080p) throughout , even with multiple enemies on screen.The only time there were minor frame drops seemed to be when going into cutscenes.
i5-8300h
16GB RAM
GTX 1050Ti 4GB VRAM

Will likely just pick it up for the PS4 Pro though.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry staff confirmed the RTX support, and RE2Make was featured prominently on Nvidia's YouTube with the RTX labeling, but it was never clear what, if anything, it had to do with RTX support.

The surfaces that have screen space reflections wouldn't even benefit that much from raytracing (with the perspectives you get in the game, and that it's usually just a reflective floor). You'd probably have slightly less artifacting, but RTX gets very similar artifacts due to low ray samples per pixel...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I had stutters on my GTX970 in the main hall. Like, a whole lot of frame skipping. Not sure what is going on.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
PC version looks way better than the 1X demo. These crappy gun sounds are killing it for me though.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone else having a bit of a washed out black level on this one? The blacks just seem brighter and greyish as opposed to pitch black. Messed with brightness too, but it's just it is apparently.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Digital Foundry staff confirmed the RTX support, and RE2Make was featured prominently on Nvidia's YouTube with the RTX labeling, but it was never clear what, if anything, it had to do with RTX support.

The surfaces that have screen space reflections wouldn't even benefit that much from raytracing (with the perspectives you get in the game, and that it's usually just a reflective floor). You'd probably have slightly less artifacting, but RTX gets very similar artifacts due to low ray samples per pixel...
The perspective and occlusion artifacts are nowhere to be found with ray traced reflection. Reflections would be less than per pixel resolution not doubt, but they're rarely that resolution with SSR either. In BF5 they make everything feel more tied together in ways I didn't expect too, with things like a gun taking on the color of the surrounding environment, etc.

It's not going to be make or break the game. Given the games apparent need for TLAA, DLSS should probably be top priority for RTX support, but ray traced reflections are a night and day improvement over screen space reflections.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really appreciate the hell of how granular the display settings are and all the information/display they show.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I just played the demo. Thought it was recording but I wasn't, so I'll do it again later. First try 1t 17 minutes. Can't wait for the full game.

Ryzen 1700x
GTX 1080
16GB DDR4
VRAM maxed at 7.53GB

Managed to stay at 60FPS the entire time, though it did dip when it loaded areas. That was likely my harddrive. Next time I'll load it on an SSD.

DX 11
1080p
Rendering: Normal
IQ 130
Refresh rate: 60
Frame rate: 60
v-Sync: On
AA: SMAA
Texture quality: High (2GB)
Texture filter: High (AN x 16)
Mesh quality: High
Shadow quality: Max
Shadow cache: On
Contact shadows: On
Screen space reflections: On
Subsurface scattering: On
Volumetric lighting quality Medium
Particle lighting quality: High
AO: HDAO
Bloom: On
Lens flare: On
Motion Blur: On
DOF: On
Lens disortion (On + chromatic aberration)
Film noise: On

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Well... My cpu (i5 7600k) is constantly at 100% causing massive stutters every 10 seconds... How can i fix this?

Using gtx 1080 at 1440p, recommended preset...

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
GTX 1080
i7 6700K
16GB RAM

Game seems to run perfectly fine at 1080p with max settings. Didn't see a drop below 60, VRAM maxed out at 6.5GB. Guessing the demo doesn't actually have the high-res textures considering the small size. Visually, kinda looks more underwhelming than I expected. Also looks quite washed out, which is strange.
19fc5d3e93.png

006213c4a1.png
c2c6c6942d.png

ef9478c7ec.png

This looks like when I play around with annoying HDMI black levels and catch the "grey one"

krg

Oct 27, 2017
god damn it! I switched to DX12 and now that I want to switch back I just get sound and a black screen!? wtf am I suppose to do?
performance has been awful and I just want to mess with the settings... my rig:

GTX 1060 6GB
16gb ram
Ryzen5 1600 3.20GHz

my goal was to achieve 1080p/60fps, help?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
reckon that huge dip when the game loads areas could be solved with having the game on a ssd?

its far from game breaking, but its quite distracting especially when I can reproduce it everytime.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, binaural sound settings is only for headphones?
I think binaural sounds in this game is not working properly. I have a surround sound headset as my mixamp does the sound processing for me, but when games themselves support binaural audio I disable it and make my headphones stereo only. I do this in Overwatch and BFV, it works wonders in those games. In this game however, audio still feels stereo as something behind/in front of me will still feel like it's to me left or right...so I can only assume that it's not working as intended and I just turned my headphone's sound processing on and changed settings to surround in the game.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally fixed my issue after updating drivers. Finished in 18 minutes, and that's just looking around and whatnot. I'm impressed, I like this a lot.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
hey, i took the same screenshot but mine feels different and i can't figure out what it is. can it be the brightness in your opinion, or some other option?

46706316861_e624cb8ce7_o.png
Yea it's brightness. I calibrated mine according what the sliders asked me in the game's display settings. It's probably because my monitor itself is so bright that I had to turn the game's overall brightness lower.

Additionally it looks like you are not using TAA, I can see that because Leon's hair had aliasing and your overall image is sharper. I am also not using any film grain so that may also be a reason why my screenshot is very smooth and soft looking.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it's brightness. I calibrated mine according what the sliders asked me in the game's display settings. It's probably because my monitor itself is so bright that I had to turn the game's overall brightness lower.

Additionally you are not using TAA, I can see that because Leon's hair had aliasing and your overall image is sharper.

right! i was using fxaa so i'll switch to taa, i'll reduce the brightness a little bit too, thanks

sebn

Oct 26, 2017
For the other AMD users:

Run really well on my pc, outdated CPU and RAM but gfx card is running it like a champ.

Xeon 1225v3
16GB DDR3
Vega 56 @ ~1620Mhz core - 900Mhz memory
Was consistently above 70fps and running 100+ fps a lot @ 1440

My settings were as follows DX11 only, havent tried DX12 yet:

1VHoB9S.png

oknpGEu.png

W7YaT4O.png

ruDU60k.png

oAoFMW6.png

Hope this helps! Happy to try other settings whilst i still have ~15mins left of the trial.

Last edited:

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Seems run pretty good on my PC and my other laptop with 8gb GTX 980m can run it smoothly too.

Sucks that the cutscenes have pillar box when playing on 21:9 resolution.
I hope the final release will have full view or maybe someone's will hex edit it.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'm a console guy but I have a good PC so I never really understood these settings. Mine runs in 1080p over 60fps with most all settings max. Questions though, how big a difference is max shadows to high shadows cause the cost of performance seems huge according to the game. For shadows?

Image quality is what exactly? I can go to like 150% and keep 60fps. The texture thing seems to have others confused.

Here is the thing I mess with most of this stuff and I hardly notice a difference. The difference I can see is how PS4 runs versus my PC, it's night and day.