• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Never dropped below 80 fps at 4k on a 2080ti, 6800k, at max settings except using ssao, and dx 11.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
3570k and 1060 here - 90% of 1440p with most settings on high except for volumetric lighting on medium resulted in a pretty smooth 60 fps. Had some tiny dips here and there from loading/streaming but no persistent drops. Their TAA implementation isn't particularly great, though. It's a bit blurry (understandable) while still introducing some ghosting artifacts (boo).

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I was getting horrible stuttering the whole time. Really frustrating despite being able to run it pretty well otherwise. i5 6600k and a 2080 on DX11. DX12 made the stuttering way worse it seems. I don't think it was the variable fps, because the stuttering was still happening when I dropped it down to 60 fps (I was at 1440p, tried at 1080p and the same stutter occured). Is this a cpu thing?

Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but I think it got a little better when I turned Vsync off, but i'm not too knowledgeable in this area.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
60 FPS straight on my Raedon 580 rx, Everything set to high (with some on max)

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Never dropped below 80 fps at 4k on a 2080ti, 6800k, at max settings except using ssao, and dx 11.

Have you tried if you can get similar results with DX12?
With a 2080Ti, DX12 and everything maxed out, I rarely got up to 80fps. Framerate was between 60s and 70s, but there were drops under 60 and 50 in some areas. My time ran out though and couldn't test DX11.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
With a 2080Ti, DX12 and everything maxed out, I rarely got up to 80fps. Framerate was between 60s and 70s, but there were drops under 60 and 50 in some areas. My time ran out though and couldn't test DX11.
2080 ti user here on a 4790k with 16GB of RAM, I made it 20 minutes in on DX12 before it crashed, the game switched to DX11 and it seemed smoother but time ran out to continue testing. 4K HDR~

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I ran at 21:9 ratio. Glad it supports it natively. There's a few refinements that have to be made since some UI elements don't seem to be positioned correctly, but nothing major.

Also, I left the graphics at default settings and ran 2560x1080. Very smooth, except for a tiny bit of stutter, likely at loading transitions. Game feels optimized, but the fact that the demo is indoors instead of an open world probably helps it run well.

RPanda

Feb 21, 2018
2hWMYMB.jpg

Anyone knows why I have 0gb vram ? also the preset is low settings ???I have GTX1060 and I don't have integrated graphics...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So even though I had the weird 0.13GB thing showing up, the game still used my nvidia 1060 when I actually ran it.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm the game ran worse than I thought it would for me. Showed up that I had .13gb of VRAM and couldn't figure out how to change that but I could still play it and put settings above that (I have a gtx 1050ti, 32gb ram, and an i7-8something). Couldn't even get a stable 60fps at 1080 with mostly medium/low settings. I feel like that's not right.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
3570k and 1060 here - 90% of 1440p with most settings on high except for volumetric lighting on medium resulted in a pretty smooth 60 fps. Had some tiny dips here and there from loading/streaming but no persistent drops. Their TAA implementation isn't particularly great, though. It's a bit blurry (understandable) while still introducing some ghosting artifacts (boo).

I was getting horrible stuttering the whole time. Really frustrating despite being able to run it pretty well otherwise. i5 6600k and a 2080 on DX11. DX12 made the stuttering way worse it seems. I don't think it was the variable fps, because the stuttering was still happening when I dropped it down to 60 fps (I was at 1440p, tried at 1080p and the same stutter occured). Is this a cpu thing?

Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but I think it got a little better when I turned Vsync off, but i'm not too knowledgeable in this area.

I'm glad I'm not the one who noticed some stuttering in the demo.

Hopefully the Game Ready drivers and release-date-optimization will have completely fixed it. It was odd seeing some stutter even when FPS was above 70~80.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Game runs pretty flawlessly but they really need to get rid of the black borders on the cutscenes in Ultrawide resolutions, or at least hopefully someone can mod that out, completely breaks the immersion.

May 29, 2018
I9 9900k and 2080ti here. For some reason the only part where I ever dropped frames was when I walked through that hallway where you have to move the locker and I couldn't figure out why

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Reading all of these post about better DX11 performance makes me jealous that I didn't get a chance to try it out.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
i9-9900k and 2080 here. Only time I got judder was when I had sunk my knife into a zombie. Until that zombie was downed my frametimes reported as 14ms with vsync on and it felt juddery. Zombie down, framerate back to normal. Happened twice. Seems there are a few little bugs.

The VRAM warnings amounted to nothing at all like others said. When the judder happened I was only at 6.5GB utilization.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I9 9900k and 2080ti here. For some reason the only part where I ever dropped frames was when I walked through that hallway where you have to move the locker and I couldn't figure out why
That's the most graphically intense part of the demo as far as I saw. It is mostly the volumetric lighting and screen space reflections doing it.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see the stuttering, but glad to see I'm not the only one. Even when lowering the settings, the stuttering is still there.

i5 7300hq 1060 3GB 8GB ram

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

I really enjoyed that they included the image there that changed depending on the settings you chose.

All games should do / have this.
They do, but the pictures also need to be a lot bigger, better quality and at times have like an zoomed in portion as an inset clearly focusing on the difference. Like Farcry 5, Ghost Recon and other recent Ubi games. The one in RE2 has small low quality image which is similar to what AC: Origins had which was the first time Ubi did this sort of menu. The AC games even include an ingame benchmark system that runs while you play the game and shows up when you open the graphics menu. The most in depth graphics menu I've seen in recent times would be Gears of War 4, it provides an absurd amount of options for tweaking and though it doesn't have pictures for comparisons it does tell you how much each setting affects the GPU and CPU individually along with VRAM usage.

ygBe2Jp.jpg

0DNYUNx.jpg

Sad to see the stuttering, but glad to see I'm not the only one. Even when lowering the settings, the stuttering is still there.

i5 7300hq 1060 3GB 8GB ram
What exact texture settings are you using?

Last edited:

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
This has by far the best graphics settings menu I've ever seen. But then at the same time the game froze my PC when I exited it and had to reboot. Weird.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Do AMD high end users here (Vega) notice performance decrease with DX12? If not it's just goes to show how trash Nvidia's async compute horse power is nothing is wrong with the API it's just the way Nvidia designed their cards below RTX series. If Vega performance is a ton better in DX11 the games DX12 is just trash. AMD is still the king of async compute.

The graphics engine is not bad but SMAA is pointless in the game and their other AA erode detail.
I do have a feeling that their async compute has problems. Sometimes last year one of the nvidia drivers broke Gears of War and to this day the game suffers from absurd amount of crashes leading to hard reboot of the PC but only if you have async compute setting turned on. If you turn it off then no crashes. So disappointing!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I have an 8gb 1080.
What vram setting should i use?
6gb?
Also will be in 3440x1440 21:9
Well just have a look at your overall VRAM usage, pick whichever one lets you be under your max VRAM. I think for you at that resolution and max settings it's gonna be High (1GB).

From what I have seen what these various versions of texture settings do is just determine the LOD range of textures. Meaning the lower you have it the closer your high textures would swap to less detailed version. But it's a very subtle thing because it doesn't affect all models, like that statue in the lobby will be full res texture regardless of how far you are from it in the room, but something small like a lamp far off might switch to a lower resolution texture. After High (1GB) the difference becomes extremely small and practically imperceptible even when compared side by side.

You could push for high (2GB) or even high (3GB) but you may suffer stuttering. Unless the game itself is lying about VRAM usage in which case you'd be fine, and the only way to check that would be to use an outside tool to check how much VRAM the game is currently using.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
I turned the settings all the way down to their darkest level with hdr now and it looks a LOT better. I think it actually looks better than standard now though I'll play with it more before it releases.

I think maybe, at least on pc, the hdr isn't totally messed up like say Monster Hunter, I think it's just a configuration issue.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017

I did not attempt dx12 because of what I was reading on here.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
They do, but the pictures also need to be a lot bigger, better quality and at times have like an zoomed in portion as an inset clearly focusing on the difference. Like Farcry 5, Ghost Recon and other recent Ubi games. The one in RE2 has small low quality image which is similar to what AC: Origins had which was the first time Ubi did this sort of menu. The AC games even include an ingame benchmark system that runs while you play the game and shows up when you open the graphics menu. The most in depth graphics menu I've seen in recent times would be Gears of War 4, it provides an absurd amount of options for tweaking and though it doesn't have pictures for comparisons it does tell you how much each setting affects the GPU and CPU individually along with VRAM usage.

ygBe2Jp.jpg

0DNYUNx.jpg

What exact texture settings are you using?
I'm using high 0.5 gb. I updated to the driver in the op and the stuttering is gone in the main area of rpd. GeForce Experience was saying I had the latest drivers, but the manual update fixed my problem.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't play this aiming-heavy game with vsync on, and got horrible tearing and stutters without it.. and tips on smoothing it out?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
5930k @ 4.3GHz, rtx 2080ti, got a nice long hdmi cable and plugged my rig into my LG E7 OLED and got my settings tuned (everything maxed except texture quality set at 3GB and the volumetric lighting setting at medium) and 4k, ran at a solid 60fps I'd say 90% of the time. I was initially getting the whole black level issue where everything outside the flash light's range was still easily visible, but i just ended up having to turn down my tv brightness 5 points and it was perfect.

This will be the first game I play from start to finish this way; main PC rig plugged into TV. I usually go for 1440p 144hz, but I thought this would be the perfect excuse to put my OLED to work with some amazing color quality and black levels.

So...you ended up essentially crushing blacks?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2hWMYMB.jpg

Anyone knows why I have 0gb vram ? also the preset is low settings ???I have GTX1060 and I don't have integrated graphics...

FWIW I have Ryzen 3 2200G (igpu turned off) and a GTX 1060 6G and the recommended setting was a mix of high / medium settings and it showed 5.91GB Vram for me.
Also ran totally stable 60fps for me, it dipped once randomly to ~55fps for a second though.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, this is really weird. The brightness is completely fucked for me. It's like it's trying to use HDR or something, even though my monitor doesn't support it.

This is the first time I've ever seen this issue with a game. It had the brightness calibration, I ignored it like I always do, then when the game booted up it was looking way, way too dark. I go in and adjust the brightness and suddenly.... I can't see anything at all. No amount of tweaks would fix the problem. I'm on an Acer G-sync 1440p monitor (I think the HBX1U or something like that, probably not the actual correct model number) I've never ever seen a problem like this. What the fuck?!

Edit: Holy shit, I just tried the demo again, the more I move, the darker the screen gets... this is weird as well, is anyone else having this problem?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm the game ran worse than I thought it would for me. Showed up that I had .13gb of VRAM and couldn't figure out how to change that but I could still play it and put settings above that (I have a gtx 1050ti, 32gb ram, and an i7-8something). Couldn't even get a stable 60fps at 1080 with mostly medium/low settings. I feel like that's not right.

Heh, I had a 1050TI until recently in my pc it's a good card for what it is but I honestly wouldn't expect it to run this game well, I would set everything to low or off and then go from there tbh, or try at 900p/720p.

Also I don't know why it shows 0GB for some, that seems to be a bug?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Any graphical differences between DX11 and DX12? The dip in permormance is so big I almost doubt it's just bad optimisation.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • Mouse input has bad negative acceleration. Why does it seem like developers are getting worse at supporting mice these days?
  • Keyboard/Mouse interactions are very inconsistent. I can use the mouse in the menus for some interactions, while I have to use WASD and the space-bar for others.
  • Can't use the mouse to scroll around the map; you have to use WASD.
  • Hitting M or CTRL to bring up the map screen cannot be exited with Tab, while switching to the map inside the menus will quit if you use Tab.
  • I can see why they would use this as an RTX showcase, as there are reflective surfaces everywhere and the screen-space reflections look really bad.
I'm surprised that people are having issues with the brightness in the game either being too dark or washed-out.
One thing to note is that the initial calibration screen (the white one) does not work correctly until you are in-game, at least in SDR. I also had to set the second screen one notch darker than it said, or else I could not make the typewriter image disappear for the brightness adjustment.
Keep the game in sRGB rather than Rec. 709, it uses an awful gamma curve that crushes shadow details. I don't know what they were thinking with this option in RE2/7. If that option stops the game looking "washed out" for you, your display is probably set to a much lower gamma than it should be.
That's funny because Rec. 709 and sRGB are the exact same color gamut. I have no idea why it looks so much better at Rec. 709. It was the same for RE7 as well.
The color gamut is the same, but the transfer function (gamma) is different.
sRGB tracks ~2.2 power curve gamma closely, except for the last 5% or so near black where it is linear. Most software just uses a 2.2 power curve for "sRGB".
A Rec. 709 calibrated display would typically track ~2.4 power curve gamma.
I don't understand what they are doing in the game though - if the Rec. 709 target was for a display calibrated to 2.4 gamma, the image should be getting brighter rather than darker. Perhaps the intent was to bring an sRGB calibrated display down to ~2.4 gamma, but it goes much too far in that direction. All it does is crush shadow details.

How us 1440p on a 1070 boys holding up?
I had to turn some of the settings down, but it still looks fine, and was running about 90-100 FPS on a 1070 at 3440x1440 (100% resolution scale).

-Shadow Cache, just like RE7, that eats up a ton of VRAM, turn that shit off.
What? No.
Shadow cache trades VRAM for performance. It's a big performance improvement when enabled on my GTX 1070.
Most of the graphical options work in real-time, so you can see the performance impact just by being in the game and toggling the setting in the menus. It was a good 10-15 FPS in the lobby at the start of the demo.
I love it when games do that, as it makes it so easy to hit a performance target without any guesswork or waiting for the engine to restart.

Trainer works fine. Scanning with MalwareBytes gives you a Riskware.GameHack warning, basically a false positive.
That seems like an accurate description rather than a false positive.
For what it's worth, I just disabled Steam Cloud syncing, deleted the save data from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your id>\961440\remote\win64_save\" and reset the achievements with Steam Achievement Manager, as I'd prefer not to use a trainer.
That only gives you another 30 minutes though, it does not remove the timer.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
seems to look mostly the same between consoles and pc from the comparisons on previous page. is the console version 30 or 60 fps?