• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Performance was fine but not the best looking game. Really hard to nail down a nice black level without either loosing detail or getting weird shimmering where the light reflects off hard surfaces. It was okay in the end. But really it just looks you know, okay..alright, not bad.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yep same here. I think MSAA or simply a higher resolution with no AA at all would be better.
MSAA typically does very little if anything for shader aliasing. Even downsampling can be ineffective for games with a lot of it. I remember downsampling from 4K to 1080p with Alien: Isolation and it hardly improved things.
TAA works very well for most types of aliasing and also costs very little performance to use.

The main issue is that TAA requires a post-TAA sharpening step to produce a sharp image. RE7 did not do this at all, and while I haven't looked up close, it does not really appear that RE2 is either - or if they are, it's too slight.
TAA combined with some degree of downsampling and post-TAA sharpening can produce exceptional results.

For example, here's the PS4 version of RE7. I'm not sure if this is base PS4 or Pro (was there a Pro version?) as it was a couple of years ago now, but I think it's 1080p native:
residentevil7biohazaryxysa.png

Compared against PC with downsampling + sharpening:
re7pc18axdw.png

Now, I also had effects like chromatic aberration disabled, but doing that did little to stop the image looking very blurry. Downsampling and sharpening the TAA image produces very clean and crisp image quality.

Weird. I ramped up resolution to 150% and the game is still shimmering like hell with SMAA enabled.
You need TAA in modern games that use physically based rendering.

What's the difference with all the textures sizes? Say High 1GB or 4GB.
It seems like it's setting texture quality and the size of the texture cache.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
MSAA typically does very little if anything for shader aliasing. Even downsampling can be ineffective for games with a lot of it. I remember downsampling from 4K to 1080p with Alien: Isolation and it hardly improved things.
TAA works very well for most types of aliasing and also costs very little performance to use.

The main issue is that TAA requires a post-TAA sharpening step to produce a sharp image. RE7 did not do this at all, and while I haven't looked up close, it does not really appear that RE2 is either - or if they are, it's too slight.
TAA combined with some degree of downsampling and post-TAA sharpening can produce exceptional results.

For example, here's the PS4 version of RE7. I'm not sure if this is base PS4 or Pro (was there a Pro version?) as it was a couple of years ago now, but I think it's 1080p native:
residentevil7biohazaryxysa.png

Compared against PC with downsampling + sharpening:
re7pc18axdw.png

Now, I also had effects like chromatic aberration disabled, but doing that did little to stop the image looking very blurry. Downsampling and sharpening the TAA image produces very clean and crisp image quality.

You need TAA in modern games that use physically based rendering.

It seems like it's setting texture quality and the size of the texture cache.

The second shot looks far better.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
So i manage to make it run smoothly and without (major) stutter. I actually had to.. increase detail and resolution. So wild, i have a i5 7600k and 1080, at 1440p with lower settings cpu goes to 100% and stutters every 10 seconds or so. By stressing the gpu more i get more utilization and the stutter stops almost completely. Is this normal or is my cpu shitting the bed?
I just tried increasing my settings and ramping up the gpu more and it fixed the vast majority of the stutter as well.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I was hovering around 60fps at 4k max settings until that corridor part. I only tested on dx12 with a 9700k and a 2080ti with hdr and dolby atmos.

The zombies are absolutely incredible looking, especially when you shoot them as it's like it's deformable body parts.

I really want a digital foundry video of final code of the pc settings.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I was hovering around 60fps at 4k max settings until that corridor part. I only tested on dx12 with a 9700k and a 2080ti with hdr and dolby atmos.

The zombies are absolutely incredible looking, especially when you shoot them as it's like it's deformable body parts.

I really want a digital foundry video of final code of the pc settings.
DirectX 12 shaves off frames hard in Nvidia cards, so I would go to DX11.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
4k 100% setting: 40 fps with my GTX1070Ti@2GHz and [email protected], 16GB 3200MHz DDR3 RAM

When I limit the FPS to 30 it never drops below it. I guess I will have to play the game at 1440p to achieve 60FPS on the upside I will be able to push that 100% slider to 200% I guess. Didn't try too much with the game as I wanted to actually play for the 30 Minutes they gave me.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Messed around with reshade a litte bit...

normal:
normalgdkpf.jpg

tweak 1:
preset1cgjfg.jpg

tweak 2:
preset2eojgl.jpg

normal:
normal2djyf.jpg

tweak 1:
preset1drk10.jpg

tweak 2:
preset2gnjki.jpg

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, whenever I turn settings up too high and get the red VRAM warning, the game crashes with an out of memory error. Happens for Picture Quality, Textures and the general Max settings preset. Anyone else getting this? Could it be some Windows or driver setting?

i5 4690k + 1080ti

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The game/engine is clearly designed to be played with FXAA+TAA, otherwise the shimmering is out of place.

Supersampling with no AA or SMAA help but I can't handle it with my i7 and 1060 6GB.

I have to say that the game on PS4 Pro is way less blurred, maybe my Plasma has better definition then my Eizo monitor. Both are 1080p, but on the monitor I can really see the blurrieness of the AA.

Other than then, with almost all at max I have steady 60fps.
It only do strange dips to 58 in loading part like Leon going under the gate at the beginning or when you enter the room with the other gate with the guy that give you that notebook.

I'm the only with those dips?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Hm, whenever I turn settings up too high and get the red VRAM warning, the game crashes with an out of memory error. Happens for Picture Quality, Textures and the general Max settings preset. Anyone else getting this? Could it be some Windows or driver setting?

i5 4690k + 1080ti
It crash because... you ran out of memory XD

The game is running under the options all the time, so if you exceed the VRAM, the game apply on the fly the "red" setting, fu*k up the GPU and crash.

This thing is usefull cause you can see on the fly the performance change if you use an FPS counter, so you see right in the options the changes and impact, but without the "apply confirmation" you can crash the game just by sorting the options, which is bulls*it... so yeah, they have to fix this.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It runs well on my i7 8700K and GTX 1080 Ti at 1440p/144 Hz G-sync. I turned shadows from Max to High to save ~2.5 GB VRAM so I can use the highest textures option, but I'm not really sure what that does. Everything else is maxed out with the resolution at 100%, and it stayed above 100 fps throughout, averaging 125 fps I'd say.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game/engine is clearly designed to be played with FXAA+TAA, otherwise the shimmering is out of place.

Supersampling with no AA or SMAA help but I can't handle it with my i7 and 1060 6GB.

I have to say that the game on PS4 Pro is way less blurred, maybe my Plasma has better definition then my Eizo monitor. Both are 1080p, but on the monitor I can really see the blurrieness of the AA.

It only do strange dips to 58 in loading part like Leon going under the gate at the beginning or when you enter the room with the other gate with the guy that give you that notebook.

I only get it at the first gate...

And it seems to get better too

First time was like 55fps, second time 57fps and today it was 59fps...

I take it that's maybe my SSHD doing what it's supposed to do but otherwise I really think this is negligible, as it's minimal and not even really gameplay, I can deal with framedrops that happens predictably at certain points what I really hate is *random* framedrops...

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Just finished the demo and got a consistent 60fps at 1440p with most settings on or on high but like many I don't know what the difference in the texture High settings are aside from it using more VRAM. While it does look and play really good, there is just something off about the visuals maybe its the crushed black or how things look real shiny or shimmering.

Specs: i7-8700k stock clocks, 16gb DDR4 RAM and RTX 2080.

I played with SMAA so that might be the issue I got with the visuals.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I found going from Max to High shadows knocked like 40% of the VRAM consumption off. Then, knocking Volumetric Lighting to Medium from High got me from 53fps to a solid 60 the whole time.

Feb 19, 2018
Well. DX12 is trash (GTX970), same settings = noticeably worse performance.. like ~7-10fps worse.

I guess this is not a surprise for Maxwell architecture though.
I mean it's kind of common knowledge by now that you shouldn't bother with DX12 on Nvidia GPUs. If you don't have a somewhat recent AMD graphic card you will always end up with worse performance, no matter the game.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Graphics API: DirectX 12
Display mode: Fullscreen
Resolution: 1080
Rendering mode: Normal
Image quality (resolution scale): 100

Frame rate: Variable
Vsync: Off
Anti-aliasing: FXAA + TAA
Texture quality: High (3GB)
Texture filter quality: High (8X)

Mesh quality: High
Shadow quality: Max
Shadow cache: On
Contact shadows: On
Screen-space reflections: On
Subsurface scattering: On

Volumetric lighting quality: High
Particle lighting quality: High
Ambient occlusion: SSAO
Bloom: On
Lens flare: On
Motion blur: Off

Depth of field: Off
Lens distortion: Off
Film noise: Off

Lazy Specs: 4690k + 16GB + 580RX

I just did three runs through and the average is 78fps.

Turning DOF, Lens Distortion and Film Noise on took maybe 2-3fps and then with motion blur as well it was another 2-3fps on top. Playing with image quality made the biggest hit but didn't have the desired quality vs fps hit so I left it at 100. I don't think anyone on a highend rig should have problems with cranking nearly all of these settings up, hell I might do it on release and play at 30fps cause why not.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tried it on a 4690, gtx 980, 16gb rig

Everything on max, except shadows on medium and CA deactivated. Volumetric light on high. Textures I put on high (2gb), v sync on

I got 60fps 99% of the time. Only in 2 gunfights the fps dipped to 50-55fps and in one hallway with heavy vol. lighting the fps dipped to ~50 fps...

I can live with that...

But what is up with the weird animation of the zombies? Seems like they are animated with lower fps or something else is wrong...is that a bug or supposed to be like that?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
For anybody interested, my final settings for a solid 60/and very close to 4K, on a 1080ti were as follows:

Graphics API : Direct X11 (8-10fps increase over DX12 with no visual quality loss)

Display mode : Full screen

Resolution : 3840x2160

Rendering mode : Normal

Image quality : 90% (Important for stable 60fps, at 100% it is impossible to maintain 60 without visual quality loss from other settings, whilst I know this isn't "true 4K" this is as close as you can get without visual compromise)

Refresh rate : 60.00Hz

Frame rate : 60

Vsync : On

Anti Aliasing : FXAA+TAA

Texture quality : High 8GB (ignore the VRAM warning, it's borked and isn't representative of real usage at least for a 1080ti)

Texture filter quality : High x16 AF (of course)

Mesh quality : MAX

Shadow quality : MAX

Shadow cache : ON (important, gives a 5-7fps boost being on)

Contact shadows : ON

Screen space reflections : ON

Subsurface scattering : ON

Volumetric lighting quality : Medium (important, gives a 10+ FPS gain, impossible to tell the difference between medium and high at least to my eyes.)

Particle lighting quality : High

Ambient occlusion : HBAO+ (Can drop to SSAO for a small gain of 3fps but there is slight image degradation in some areas, mostly unnoticeable though.)

Bloom : ON

Lens Flare : ON

Motion Blur : ON (I normally turn this off but the implementation here seems very good.)

Depth of Field : On

Lens distortion : Off (Personal preference.)

Film grain : Off (personal preference and imo enhances the visual quality and leaves a darker feel to the image )

I also have my FOV silder under "Camera" set two notches above default (please give us numerical values Capcom.)

And I would recommend playing around with SRGB and Rec because the latter for me (despite using full RGB on my PC and viewing device) was darker and provided a better image quality than SRGB, it's supposed to be the other way around so I don't know if this is borked as well but that sorted out my brightness issues in the main hall.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

No, I played one go with vsymc off and variable to see if it was the case and in most of the demo frame rate was above 70, 80 or even 100 in empty rooms.

However, playing with V Sync on and capped to 60, every now and then (notable when entering a new chunk of areas) the frame rate would drop to 58 for a half second and come back up again causing a judder. Not sure if it's bad streaming (running off of an SSD so .. that seems unlikely), bad frame pacing or what. I read earlier in this topic people with 2080 and 1080Ti's also mentioning the same, so it's definitely not an isolated thing.

Hoping launch day optimizations and NVidia's game ready drivers will eliminate this for the full release.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

i5 4690k + 1080ti

I have not experienced that at all, the Ingame VRAM usage is borked (verified by using a 3rd party tool to monitor usage) so I doubt it's that.

How much ram do you have in your PC?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having trouble getting a game controller to work. My Xbox controller vibrates during the game but none of the buttons do anything.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

It's blurred less on your plasma because HDTV's have sharpening on by default, this is why devs feel comfortable making the TAA blurry as hell.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I have not experienced that at all, the Ingame VRAM usage is borked (verified by using a 3rd party tool to monitor usage) so I doubt it's that.

How much ram do you have in your PC?

16 GB.

The ingame VRAM should show the theoretical max usage at those settings I think. What's weird is that it was crashing even when approaching 9 GB even though the 1080ti has 11.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Yay for optimisation and varied settings for low end machines. My potato laptop can get it to run at like nearly constantly locked 60 fps without it looking terrible at all. As far as low end machines go that is. Surely high end PC users would screech in terror as they recoil from my screen XD

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
16 GB.

The ingame VRAM should show the theoretical max usage at those settings I think. What's weird is that it was crashing even when approaching 9 GB even though the 1080ti has 11.

I don't think it's the VRAM that's causing your game to crash then, I can't explain what it might be tbh, that's very strange.

All I can say is I have a 1080ti and I haven't experienced that, I am running the same specs only with 32gb ram and a 3970x.

It sounds like it might be something software related causing it rather than hardware.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-post.

I had some free time so I decided to see what RE2 would look like with fixed camera angles. Just a quick test - took an hour or two.

*credit to jim2point0 for the free cam cheat table.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I found going from Max to High shadows knocked like 40% of the VRAM consumption off. Then, knocking Volumetric Lighting to Medium from High got me from 53fps to a solid 60 the whole time.
Yeah, max shadows and high volumetric lighting are both very heavy.

My 1080ti can't hold 60 fps at native 4k so I just use a 90% resolution scale (with the rest of the settings at max other than what I mentioned earlier) and I get a constant 60 fps that way.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm using dx11 since I see a big performance hit with dx12.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Interlace mode give massive boost to performance but causes dithering in hair and some jaggies to the IQ. But if you run in high res mode it is far less noticeable. I tried 2160i max setting texture at high 1gb with my 2080. Pretty much 60fps most of the time. If you can't stand interlace, try 2160p with image quality set to 80%. That should give it a decent boost in performance. Tbh, I think Evil Within 2 looks better than Re2 remake, but that game is impossible to hit 60fps unless I run it at 1440p.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yep same here. I think MSAA or simply a higher resolution with no AA at all would be better.
This game suffers from shader aliasing. MSAA would do nothing for that. There are basically 3 solution to fix shader aliasing: supersampling, TAA (which is technically just supersampling in a temporal fashion), and last but also most important of all....making sure the assets themselves doesn't have super high frequency detail.

TAA will always blur the image but it doesn't have to blur it as much as RE2 does, other games that use make best use of TAA and still look relatively sharp basically make sure that the assets they create are not super high frequency and have a bit of diffuse element to it. That way the TAA doesn't need to be super aggressive. Then they can add a light bit of sharpening to further give an appearance of reduced blur.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The shimmering in RE2 and it's TAA implementation is really pissing me off. You basically have to have TAA turned on or else specular detail is aliased as hell, but the TAA is causing ghosting during fast movement. You can easily see an example of it while watching Elliot on the security camera. With TAA turned on you'll see him leaving trails as he runs and pushes the zombie away.

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know what base consoles are targeting? I know the X/Pro are doing 60 fps. I have a GTX 1060 6GB so if the base are going for 60 fps also then my card should have no problem with that then.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

i5 4690k + 1080ti
Is windows throwing up an error about virtual memory? If so, your page file needs to be set to a larger size.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Rtx 2080 FE, i7 5820k 4.5, 16gb ram

Just set everything to max at 1440p with vsync and it's rock solid, framepacing is very good and one of the smoothest games I've played in ages despite looking amazing.

SSR looks awful though dunno if rtx reflections could help that

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Been playing around more tonight and I'll definitely be opting for 72fps locked via Rivatuner for a 13.8ms frametime, with all the graphics pumped to max. I just ran through the demo and didn't go under 72fps once, uncapping the frame rate showed I had around 5fps headroom in the worst areas which is perfect.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the graphic memory thing just reads your computer wrong or the game really thinks .06 is too much?

If a game keeps stuttering, abet less when you lower the settings as much as possible at 1080p, what does that mean?

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Gtx 670 4gb is getting a locked 30fps at 1920x1200 on mostly medium settings. Pretty happy with it. Hard to expect any more out of such a dated gpu