• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed there is no middle "Variable" setting for SSR. You can either leave it on and see the shitty SSR, or turn it off and not have any SSR at all ..

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting enough, even if you use the trainer to freeze the in-game timer, the game is still counting time for the results screen:
cXlbHeK.jpg

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
And you will hardly ever see a difference. After messing with settings for half an hour almost taking up my demo time between pausing and unpausing, I finally found a flag outside of the RPD which actually changes depending on whether textures is set to high(0.5gb) vs high(1gb) and high(2gb) and that's on a 3GB 1060 so I dunno how the game itself treats my graphics card.

I also had a legit game crash with an error message when I accidentally put image quality to 200% after maxing the rest on DX12.

Overall having played base PS4 and pc I'm just gonna stick with PS4. I'm dissatisfied with just how little the graphics seem to actually scale based on exponentially insane settings and how bad anything but TAA looks as they put an ugly sharpening filter over which you cannot turn off anywhere in the menus.

Too bad PS4 seems to use the "interlaced" setting. Also, turning on World Space Reflections seems to cause an ugly trail-filter effect over reflected objects as you pan the camera. In many areas I find the game actually looks better and clearner without it, and there's still reflections just not real-time.
I agree in that graphically it does not seem to be a significant step up, atleast not for the way it runs and the hardware it demands (It runs fine but considering the improvements without rtx are so small I'd expect the FPS to fly past 90-100)

Additionally one of the biggest draw for me was being able to get rid of CA and the TAA blur, but while I can turn CA off turning off TAA is just absolutely horrible because the game's assets are clearly not built to be seen without it.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Are you on Windows 10 ? Man .. 30 minutes really is nothing for testing all these variables lol.

I also got smoother performance using DX11. DX12 had a bit of stuttering. Windows 10 Pro fully updated on a GTX 1080.

Geniunely: is there ANY game where DX12 doesn't run worse than DX11? I haven't played a single game that supports DX12 where the recommendation wasn't to just switch to DX11.

World of Warcraft runs considerably better on DX12 since the last patch, and Battlefield V also works better for me.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Just to let you know, DX11 performs way better than DX12 on 1080ti, I notice zero difference in visual quality but my framerate went from 35fps in that first corridor after you go under the shutter to 48fps, that's at max settings and 4k, If I drop volumetric to medium I am getting 57-60fps in that corridor.

SSAO gives about a 3fps increase over HBAO+ (from my limited testing I just did.) so if you drop HBAO+ down to SSAO you should get solid 60/4k (unless there are more graphically demanding areas than that first corridor looking towards the fire hose.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Just to let you know, DX11 performs way better than DX12 on 1080ti, I notice zero difference in visual quality but my framerate went from 35fps in that first corridor after you go under the shutter to 48fps, that's at max settings and 4k, If I drop volumetric to medium I am getting 57-60fps in that corridor.

SSAO gives about a 3fps increase over HBAO+ (from my limited testing I just did.) so if you drop HBAO+ down to SSAO you should get solid 60/4k (unless there are more graphically demanding areas than that first corridor looking towards the fire hose.
I believe that particular area is the most demanding of all in this demo so far.
Did you try it with shadow cache on?

Oct 27, 2017
Game ran really well for me, but I did get a few stutters here and there. I was always above 100 fps on a 1080ti, at 1440p. Most of my settings were at max, aside from a couple.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
Strange bug, when i open the menu in game, my gpu skyrocket to 99%!

7950 boost edition here, i hope it's a driver problem :(

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
World of Warcraft runs considerably better on DX12 since the last patch, and Battlefield V also works better for me.

Interesting, BFV runs worse for me.

Shadow of Tomb Raider, Gears 4 and The Division 1, both perform better in DX12.
To my understanding Shadow of the Tombraider runs better.

Haven't played Shadow, good to know. I did play Gears and the Division but it was a while ago now so maybe I'm just forgetting.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This game looks mediocre with SMAA, so many jaggies & dithering that is hid with TAA, it's really made for TAA in mind, the days of sharp AA are over my friends.
Some points
-Shadow Cache, just like RE7, that eats up a ton of VRAM, turn that shit off.
-The SSR still sucks on PC just like on Consoles, unless this demo is really old, it probs won't be fixed by the final game.

Also i dunno if anyone noticed this, but the lights from the other room go through the bullet holes in the door, reminds me of Division.

45789958605_907b617014_o.png

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So does the trainer properly freeze the clock and allow you to play the demo indefinitely? Just wanted confirmation from someone that the trainer actually works as intended. Also that it doesn't contain any viruses.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I believe that particular area is the most demanding of all in this demo so far.
Did you try it with shadow cache on?

Yup, I had that on already, tried it with and without and you're right, there is a 5-9 fps difference, much better with it on than without.

So yeah, these are the settings I am sticking with, might drop render res to 90% just to make sure it stays above 60 at all times and leave HBAO+ on and might bump up volumetric but honestly, it seems pointless as there really is no difference between high and medium on the latter (at least to my eye.)

I am reluctant to play more, sitting at 15 mins now, might wait for a trainer to come out.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
So does the trainer properly freeze the clock and allow you to play the demo indefinitely? Just wanted confirmation from someone that the trainer actually works as intended. Also that it doesn't contain any viruses.

Always a risk of that with trainers, especially from someone like 3DM (which I believe is where the trainer originates from currently.)

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get stable 60fps with max settings, SMAA, SSAO @ Direct X 12 4k HDR. RTX 2080ti, i7 8700k. All encounters drop fps to 30s or 40s.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks mediocre with SMAA, so many jaggies & dithering that is hid with TAA, it's really made for TAA in mind, the days of sharp AA are over my friends.
Some points
-Shadow Cache, just like RE7, that eats up a ton of VRAM, turn that shit off.
-The SSR still sucks on PC just like on Consoles, unless this demo is really old, it probs won't be fixed by the final game.

Also i dunno if anyone noticed this, but the lights from the other room go through the bullet holes in the door, reminds me of Division.

45789958605_907b617014_o.png
Weirdly enough turning shadow caching off eats up 10-12FPS for me and turning it on makes it perform better. But considering what shadow cache does it should work that way. You even see it in the graph that if you turn shadow cache on it lowers the "processing requirement" so I'm assuming it's working as intended for me.

I'm disappointed about the SSR as well, atleast PC will have rtx. While I dont have an rtx card yet I will someday in the future so it's good to know it's there.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
1080 Ti under water custom unlocked bios + 8700K 5.3GHz at 1440p everything maxed out preset runs the game easy as piss no stutters.

Checked REAL VRAM usage using GPUZ it's only around 6GB at 1440p will do a 4K run next.

Use GPUZ to log your VRAM usage. In-game estimates are always trash.

Edit: Any setting I need to tweak so Leon movement and my mouse don't feel so desynced?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does my memory readout in the settings display in red and my setting ms say 2.93Gb/0.11?

I have a 980Ti, surely it's not being seen as having 0.11Gb of ram by this game?

I had a message saying something like severe crashes will happen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Weirdly enough turning shadow caching off eats up 10-12FPS for me and turning it on makes it perform better. But considering what shadow cache does it should work that way. You even see it in the graph that if you turn shadow cache on it lowers the "processing requirement" so I'm assuming it's working as intended for me.

I'm disappointed about the SSR as well, atleast PC will have rtx. While I dont have an rtx card yet I will someday in the future so it's good to know it's there.
Yeah the rumors of the PC version having RTX reflections would be real nice right now, but yeah the shadow cache is kind of a pick your poison scenario, it seems it's eating up too much VRAM for people, but the performance penalty with it off might be a bit too much also.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the rumors of the PC version having RTX reflections would be real nice right now, but yeah the shadow cache is kind of a pick your poison scenario, it seems it's eating up too much VRAM for people, but the performance penalty with it off might be a bit too much also.
Not a rumor. It's confirmed.

Although it looks a bit odd because Leon is so shiny, if it's due to him being in the rain then that's fine but if that's sweat then lol !

Well so was was under the VRAM limit when I turned shadow caching off and yet it affected my performance significantly.

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Brightness is so fucked for me, I can't see shit in dark areas.
Either try changing the colour options in the menu like someone else said above or what I did was in the brightness settings bit I put the white graph far right, black graph far left and leave the last one in the middle. Looks far less washed out.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
...and it's pretty damn smooth in the lobby and in general gameplay but when you crawl under fence to get to the east wing and mini cutscene with Leon looking around with his flashlight starts -> performance drops to ~50fps for some reason.
Yeah, i got same drops here, but my internal res is only 100%.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
3440x1440 70-100fps (capped).

All maxed apart from AA (off) and Textures (High 6GB).

Ryzen 1700
Titan X Pascal
16GB RAM

One of the few games where that extra GB of VRAM on the Titan X Pascal over the 1080Ti is a blessing.

Also worth noting, whilst the gameplay is all ultrawide, none of the cutscenes (even in-engine) are Ultrawide.

Check your actual VRAM usage.
It isnt going anywhere near as high as to "be blessing" over the 80TI because of VRAM.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trainer works fine. Scanning with MalwareBytes gives you a Riskware.GameHack warning, basically a false positive.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird question - I felt like RE4 played better with a controller than M+KB because the game was designed around not having insane precision in your aiming abilities. What's the take on this one?

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017

Although it looks a bit odd because Leon is so shiny, if it's due to him being in the rain then that's fine but if that's sweat then lol !

Well so was was under the VRAM limit when I turned shadow caching off and yet it affected my performance significantly.

I thought the only "RTX" features RE2 would have is just DLSS and not actual raytracing?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question - I felt like RE4 played better with a controller than M+KB because the game was designed around not having insane precision in your aiming abilities. What's the take on this one?
You're correct.

It's because the aiming here is the exact same as RE7 with that bloom mechanic where you have to wait a bit before the reticule becomes small. Also there's a weird floatiness to aiming in RE7 and this game which doesn't work well with controller. On PC it works a lot easier which is reverse from what it was like in RE4-6

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Does the demo end after you get the unicorn medallion and talk to Marvin? Because it says I only took 24 minutes to finish the demo.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You're correct.

It's because the aiming here is the exact same as RE7 with that bloom mechanic where you have to wait a bit before the reticule becomes small. Also there's a weird floatiness to aiming in RE7 and this game which doesn't work well with controller. On PC it works a lot easier which is reverse from what it was like in RE4-6
Why would you want it to be easy aiming in a Resident Evil game? :P

In all seriousness though, I cruised through RE7 no problem on my PS4 with a controller.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

While I'm under the impression the game is meant to get RT reflections, this video shows screen space reflections.