• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Just a heads up for people Windows Power Plan Ultimate performance or High Performance vs Balanced in game makes a 10-15fps difference benchmarking the same section of the game.

I ended up just using my 4.8Ghz profile to see if that changed anything, and it seems like it might have, but it's still early. Going through the gas station again, even simply standing still is showing some really strange CPU utilization. One of my cores is still spiking all the way up to 98%, and I don't know what would be causing that. There's nothing going on. I'm simply standing over the downed zombie and that single core keeps jumping from 42% to 98% while none of the rest go above 60% (most sit around 40%). The zombie scene itself still drops, but instead of 52fps or lower, it just dips to 59. For it being a GPU intensive scene, the only thing I've changed is my CPU overlock. I'd say that it seems like even though I have the scale at 150%, the CPU is still considering it being "1080p", which would make adjusting the processor speed make sense, but this was happening at 4K on a different screen as well.

That's pretty normal threaded usage when it comes to many modern games in DX11. Check the gamegpu CPU Benchmarks.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/resident-evil-2-biohazard-re2-1-shot-demo-test-gpu-cpu

Change your Windows Power Plan to gain more fps.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up for people Windows Power Plan Ultimate performance or High Performance vs Balanced in game makes a 10-15fps difference benchmarking the same section of the game.

That's pretty normal threaded usage when it comes to many modern games in DX11. Check the gamegpu CPU Benchmarks.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/resident-evil-2-biohazard-re2-1-shot-demo-test-gpu-cpu

Change your Windows Power Plan to gain more fps.

That's not the issue for me at least. I already tried that as one of my first tests. I did however just notice something with the CPU utilization. It's been pretty common in the past to turn down shadows if you want to gain performance. However, I thought that later became a GPU thing more than it was a CPU issue. Simply going from Max to High has prevented any cores from jumping up to 90% or higher, and the change to game IQ is negligible in motion. I went back and forth with that option, and it literally doubles the use on that core with it at Max, yet now it's not going above 50%. I actually had it set to High for most of my first playthrough though and only raised it later to see if it was affecting frame rates. It wasn't at the time, but it sure is affecting the processor.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the issue for me at least. I already tried that as one of my first tests. I did however just notice something with the CPU utilization. It's been pretty common in the past to turn down shadows if you want to gain performance. However, I thought that later became a GPU thing more than it was a CPU issue. Simply going from Max to High has prevented any cores from jumping up to 90% or higher, and the change to game IQ is negligible in motion. I went back and forth with that option, and it literally doubles the use on that core with it at Max, yet now it's not going above 50%. I actually had it set to High for most of my first playthrough though and only raised it later to see if it was affecting frame rates. It wasn't at the time, but it sure is affecting the processor.
Yeah, it's definitely something with CPU utilization. I don't know but I sure hope there's fix.

What I noticed once you're out of the station it gets much better, still slight stutters but much better.

And yeah, I'm not surprised an overclock helps a little bit, unfortunately my CPU is already on max since I don't really know much about overclocking should go to 4GHZ but I only managed 3.825..

I don't think it's a hardware limitation, I just don't really know what I'm doing lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, I can't figure out what is going on, and I'm ready to say that this is one of the games where the 9600K shows its ugliness for multithread games. I know at least what is causing the judder and what seems to be frame rate issues. It's the frame pacing. For about the last hour I've been running back and forth through problematic areas and the frame time graph keeps spiking every six or seven seconds. Sometimes it's a single spike, and then other times it's nearly three in a row. Every single time the game feels awful, the graph spikes. My GPU utilization isn't even ever at 80% when this happens, and none of the CPU cores are at a full load either. V-Sync, Fast Sync, Full Screen, Borderless Window, frame rate cap etc, they are all just varying degrees of shit. Going to be stupid if I end up having to buy a 9700K just for gaming, since I just built this PC in November, and I had already bought the 9600K before the tests were done on it for more open-world type games.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck it, I can't figure out what is going on, and I'm ready to say that this is one of the games where the 9600K shows its ugliness for multithread games. I know at least what is causing the judder and what seems to be frame rate issues. It's the frame pacing. For about the last hour I've been running back and forth through problematic areas and the frame time graph keeps spiking every six or seven seconds. Sometimes it's a single spike, and then other times it's nearly three in a row. Every single time the game feels awful, the graph spikes. My GPU utilization isn't even ever at 80% when this happens, and none of the CPU cores are at a full load either. V-Sync, Fast Sync, Full Screen, Borderless Window, frame rate cap etc, they are all just varying degrees of shit. Going to be stupid if I end up having to buy a 9700K just for gaming, since I just built this PC in November, and I had already bought the 9600K before the tests were done on it for more open-world type games.

Checking the recent GamerNexus 9700K vs 8700K review when it comes to hyper threading it shows you 9600K results too. Looks like 9600K due to no hyper threading is pretty bad when it comes to frame spikes in 1% low results.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3421-intel-i7-9700k-review-benchmark-vs-8700k-and-more

If you're playing with GPU usage not hitting 99% you end up becoming more CPU bound.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Checking the recent GamerNexus 9700K vs 8700K review when it comes to hyper threading it shows you 9600K results too. Looks like 9600K due to no hyper threading is pretty bad when it comes to frame spikes in 1% low results.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3421-intel-i7-9700k-review-benchmark-vs-8700k-and-more

What should I be looking at here? The lows are all still well above 60fps, which is where I have mine locked. I think my next step is to just see how the game performs with an older i5-4670K at stock with a GTX 1080. Just to check the frame times with a different PC. GPU utilization is also really odd. I'm not going to set it so that it's running at 99% the majority of the time, because there are a handful of scenes where it automatically gets GPU crazy and hits 99%, then it returns to sub 80%.

edit: Well this sucks. So far, on my five year old system the frame pacing is actually better at the same settings. There are still some spikes, but they aren't nearly as bad as before, and I wouldn't even be able to tell that some of them were happening without looking at the bar. It feels noticeably different.

edit2: OK, I finally solved it, and this might help others who are having a similar problem. The fact that it doesn't seem to have this issue on the consoles, and the fact that my older PC was running it very smoothly, with practically no noticeable stutter/judder led me to believe it was a refresh rate problem more than anything. This issue was persistent with basically every setting on two different TVs. Yet, after noticing how good it felt on my old PC, the only real difference was that it was hooked up to a (crappy) PC monitor. I had already tried setting the refresh rate option of the game to 59.94 last night, but it did not appear to help at all. But now, I simply set my desktop to output at 59Hz and the frame times are as smooth as can be. No spikes like before, with only the occasional bump that can't even be felt. Don't know how many others are actually playing on PC, but with a TV as well, but this fixed it for me. I have never had to do this for any other game previously either. I've always just left the desktop at 60Hz and they were all fine. Can't believe that was all that it took, but I wished that I had done this from the start, that's for sure.

Last edited:

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
What should I be looking at here? The lows are all still well above 60fps, which is where I have mine locked. I think my next step is to just see how the game performs with an older i5-4670K at stock with a GTX 1080. Just to check the frame times with a different PC. GPU utilization is also really odd. I'm not going to set it so that it's running at 99% the majority of the time, because there are a handful of scenes where it automatically gets GPU crazy and hits 99%, then it returns to sub 80%.

edit: Well this sucks. So far, on my five year old system the frame pacing is actually better at the same settings. There are still some spikes, but they aren't nearly as bad as before, and I wouldn't even be able to tell that some of them were happening without looking at the bar. It feels noticeably different.

edit2: OK, I finally solved it, and this might help others who are having a similar problem. The fact that it doesn't seem to have this issue on the consoles, and the fact that my older PC was running it very smoothly, with practically no noticeable stutter/judder led me to believe it was a refresh rate problem more than anything. This issue was persistent with basically every setting on two different TVs. Yet, after noticing how good it felt on my old PC, the only real difference was that it was hooked up to a (crappy) PC monitor. I had already tried setting the refresh rate option of the game to 59.94 last night, but it did not appear to help at all. But now, I simply set my desktop to output at 59Hz and the frame times are as smooth as can be. No spikes like before, with only the occasional bump that can't even be felt. Don't know how many others are actually playing on PC, but with a TV as well, but this fixed it for me. I have never had to do this for any other game previously either. I've always just left the desktop at 60Hz and they were all fine. Can't believe that was all that it took, but I wished that I had done this from the start, that's for sure.

What TV's did you hook your PC to out of interest.

Clock mismatch judder on TVs pretty common issue when the TV's EDID preset & GPU output is not exactly 59.94 and you get variance. Most TV's these days work well and don't have an issue but you still run into manufactures and models that can cause an issue. It's very noticeable in this game due to the movement update rate even at 60fps. Comparing the game 60fps to 120fps movement wise is night and day in this game because of how the game handles movement and camera animations.

If you have high refresh rate monitor compare the game with FPS capped to 60 and than set it to variable digital foundry touched upon this too in their analysis. I'm playing on 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC display but I want to see a mod come out on PC that ups the camera movement speed to 60 too before I play in 4K HDR on my Sony X900F.

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Using the fps limiter with RTSS, it seems 15fps is the cap for the game to not hitch when entering rooms or walking on certain spots.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3440x1440 70-100fps (capped).

All maxed apart from AA (off) and Textures (High 6GB).

Ryzen 1700
Titan X Pascal
16GB RAM

One of the few games where that extra GB of VRAM on the Titan X Pascal over the 1080Ti is a blessing.

Also worth noting, whilst the gameplay is all ultrawide, none of the cutscenes (even in-engine) are Ultrawide.
I guess we can be thankful that they even included ultrawide options in the first place.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
New vignette-removal tool has been released:

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopi...sid=2829c3e6c65f474ad5b0a620aa146da5&start=50

It`s possible to switch on/off ingame.

re2r_vignetteremoval6qktv.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
So I tinkered a bit with the settings. I settled with adaptive sharpening and clarity turned on, but reduced the sharpening parameters on both to my liking, meaning I reduced the sharpen by quite a bit. I like it better than without the sharpening options. I play at 1440p with 140% resolution and TAA. I repeated the brightness calibration in the ingame options and had to make it a bit brighter, because the preset made it darker than before.
I think it looks so much better than the vanilla version now.
Could you please share your preset? I only want to do some sharpening but I'm not really familiar with tweaking these effects.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What TV's did you hook your PC to out of interest.

Clock mismatch judder on TVs pretty common issue when the TV's EDID preset & GPU output is not exactly 59.94 and you get variance. Most TV's these days work well and don't have an issue but you still run into manufactures and models that can cause an issue. It's very noticeable in this game due to the movement update rate even at 60fps. Comparing the game 60fps to 120fps movement wise is night and day in this game because of how the game handles movement and camera animations.

If you have high refresh rate monitor compare the game with FPS capped to 60 and than set it to variable digital foundry touched upon this too in their analysis. I'm playing on 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC display but I want to see a mod come out on PC that ups the camera movement speed to 60 too before I play in 4K HDR on my Sony X900F.

There were at least two issues from the start for me, but one of them seemed to be driver related and was fixed when I updated, but only after I switched to the second TV. Originally I was playing on an LG B6...until it decided to malfunction on Friday, so I then had to go back to using my 2009 Panasonic G10 plasma. The plasma is the TV that for sure was having frame time problems, and it's what I had to change my output refresh rate to 59Hz for. I'm not sure if this would have had much of an effect on the B6, since the problems with it were very different, so I couldn't actually discern whether or not it too had a pacing problem. I did not get enough time with the game on it to check. Tomorrow I will have the PC hooked up to an E6, so I can see if there are any abnormalities refresh rate wise with it.

New vignette-removal tool has been released:

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopi...sid=2829c3e6c65f474ad5b0a620aa146da5&start=50

It`s possible to switch on/off ingame.

re2r_vignetteremoval6qktv.jpg

Nice!

Last edited:

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
1440p
130% scale
Reshade with lumasharpen ON
RTX 2070
Locked at 60 fps with 80ish% usage

Just finished Leon story, this game honestly feels like next-gen to me
It's incredible

senatom

Oct 25, 2017
Played through with dx11 Leon A, there were 3 spots where I lost visuals due to bug (e.g. the laptop at the start of the game). Playing Claire B there is once where it happened during the cut scene after a boss fight, the auto-save was before the boss fight, not ideal :/, hopefully gets patched soon.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My friend told me to set yuv22 instead of rgb and 10 bpc instead of 8 on nvidia control panel and now the hdr and the black levels are perfect on my oled tv.

Of course you need a 10 bit panel.

Also a 1070 is enough to max out the game at 30 fps without a drop in 9 hours.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, I beaten Leon's campaign.

Loading hitches persisted in suspected spots when you enter different areas but over all, it was a bit better. Except for this spot where I trained my gun at the cafeteria's door and just as I open, my CPU just spiked like no tomorrow and just lagging badly and the more I moved forward, the worst I got where I just leave he room. Oddly, going back in made the lag disappear.

Also, hitching from non-zombie attacks seem to stop at the later portion of the game.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
edit2: OK, I finally solved it,

So what did you set exactly?
Desktop to 59Hz, nvidia setting? Ingame setting? All 59Hz?

Oddly, going back in made the lag disappear.

That's what I'm saying all the time, it shouldn't be like this, it's gotta be some kind of bug with how they stream things, possibly AI calculations also...

Pretty sure they could fix it up, but I've rarely seen developers actually do that (rather the opposite sadly)

Kind of reminds me of Nier Automata, great game and all but the asset streaming is terrible, there really shouldn't be so many hitches (to be clear Nier Automata is way worse)

Whide

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So I just figured out why I stuttered, when I had my headphones, keyboard and mouse plugged in my game would stutter twice in quick succession every 3 seconds. But when I unplugged my peripherals and only plugged in my Xbox One controller to play, I could play with absolutely no stutters. I wish I just understood why that happens, so I could play with sound on. :/

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
The talk of setting your game to the TV preferred refresh rate is something I always do, on my Samsung TV to something like 59.something hz it seems to stop the 0. 0 something skip in frame rate.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having trouble getting RTSS to agree with this game?

I'm not trying to use its framerate limiter, I'm just trying to get OSD to show up and be able to use it for screenshots. And whenever it does show up now it's not reporting my VRAM usage.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I booted up the game it played completely fine.

Today I booted it up again and changed no settings, yet it keeps stuttering.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So what did you set exactly?
Desktop to 59Hz, nvidia setting? Ingame setting? All 59Hz?

All I did was set the desktop to output at 59hz (with V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel instead of using the game's), but now it looks like that didn't actually completely fix it. In areas where there were no enemies, it would still have frame pacing issues
(the area below the RPD when you first escape for example, or the jail section with Leon)
before changing it. After switching it to 59hz, the fame times were completely flat, and the game ran smoothly even with a bunch of standard enemies around. Now though, just like before, during the Mr. X sequences it starts running like shit. I thought before that maybe it was sound related, so I had turned all sounds off, but that didn't change anything either. Basically now the game runs smoother than before in general, but it still turns bad under certain situations and I'm out of options.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
All I did was set the desktop to output at 59hz (with V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel instead of using the game's), but now it looks like that didn't actually completely fix it. In areas where there were no enemies, it would still have frame pacing issues
(the area below the RPD when you first escape for example, or the jail section with Leon)
before changing it. After switching it to 59hz, the fame times were completely flat, and the game ran smoothly even with a bunch of standard enemies around. Now though, just like before, during the Mr. X sequences it starts running like shit. I thought before that maybe it was sound related, so I had turned all sounds off, but that didn't change anything either. Basically now the game runs smoother than before in general, but it still turns bad under certain situations and I'm out of options.
Do you have the game set to 60 FPS or variable?
Frame rate limiters set to 60 FPS can cause a lot of problems with V-Sync on 59/60Hz displays. It should be one or the other; the limiter or v-sync, not both.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frame rate limiters set to 60 FPS can cause a lot of problems with V-Sync on 59/60Hz displays. It should be one or the other; the limiter or v-sync, not both.
Yeah, but fact is this game has weird spikes, easily noticeable while *loading* new areas, and I kinda doubt anything but a real monster rig can run this smoothly throughout (if even that)...

In the demo it was kinda funny to see how the game improved itself after several replays, but I don't really notice the same effect in the full game, it's just too big I'm guessing.

As I already said I'm not sure if it's possible to actually fix this and it's probably something the devs would need to do, aka optimizing so there aren't as huge spikes in gpu / cpu utilization.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I have a pheanom 2 quad core.

I can play it as i have a modern gfx card.

What graphics options can i lower for a cpu bound pc?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I just applied my own teaked lumasharpen and FXAA settings via Reshade (just using in-game TAA) and holy shit the image quality cleans up very nicely.

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I booted up the game it played completely fine.

Today I booted it up again and changed no settings, yet it keeps stuttering.
I didn't notice periodic hitching during my first session either but then the next day it was obviously happening. I'm still not sure if I'm crazy or not.

My framerate is generally perfectly smooth but I get hiccups in larger areas when I move the camera around. Possibly a loading issue? It seemed to get a little worse when I moved the install to HDD from SSD.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
With a few tweaks, lowered shadows 1 notch, turned off SSR as it looked bad in places anyway and the cube map reflections look ok and volumetric lighting at medium I can get a solid 120fps at 1440p with a Ryzen 5 and rtx2080. I have it installed on an SSD and it still stutters now and again but the frames don't drop. Tabbing out sometimes causes major frame pacing issues but borderless windowed hurts performance.

ssjandres

Jan 13, 2019
Dear Resident Evil 2 team,

I want to thank you all for all the hard work that came into making RE2 remake a reality. Millions of people like me had their wish come true with the release of this game.

I want to stress how much I loved my first play-through of New Game Claire or Claire A (old nomenclature). I cannot describe the amazing feelings of joy while thinking how to save ammo, solve puzzles, where to go next, etc. I was an extraordinary experience for me.

However, I do want to share with you a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind while playing Claire A, that made Leon B a bit of a disappointment:

• When Claire meets Leon just outside of the police station, after getting the spade key, I thought: "this is amazing! It has been between 30 and 60 minutes for me to get here (arguably more than the demo, and especially playing the game on Hardcore mode), so this only means that Leon has been wandering the city for a while before getting to the police station!". No such luck: Leon B gets there in a 1-minute run. Missed opportunity.
  • Leon doesn't just go in to the police station right there, so it could've taken him a while to get to the main area. Maybe he gets there after Claire leaves for the first time. That's exactly what I imagined as soon as the secret passage that was opened using the 3 medallions with Claire A was closed right behind her. I imagined Leon being able to leave the station for the first time through an alternate passage, using items other than the, by then useless, animal medallions. I even pictured having all of the doors unlocked by Claire still be unlocked, and maybe have Leon's unique gun ammo and key items there so that it would still be worth exploring. Maybe tougher enemies like the lickers would already be there, too, which would make sense if B scenarios were meant to be slightly tougher.
  • When I first ran into Mr. X, it was for sure a great first encounter, out of nowhere, without the need for a cutscene to make it that much more impactful. I did however think that in Leon B you would get to see where he came from (helicopter like in the original game, or something new), and have a completely different first encounter; maybe even while Claire was fighting William downstairs. And maybe that's why he was already there roaming the police station when Claire A gets back from the garage.
  • As soon as William ripped Mr. X going into the elevator, I had phenomenal thoughts of fighting a mutated, half-torn Tyrant in Leon B right around after that scene.
I will stop here because I think that even only these 4 thoughts make my point come across. Even only these 4 points can give you a picture of all the many instances where I was picturing what was to come of my B scenario run.

I adored my first playthrough with Claire; enough, on its own, to want to think of RE2 as a 10/10 game in my mind. And that thought is still there, don't get me wrong. BUT, when I got to the station as Leon B to meet with Claire in less than 60 seconds, I was a bit disappointed by the inconsistency. Solving the same puzzles and using the same keys to unlock the same rooms (except for heart vs. club keys) didn't bother me much, even though avoiding it was reasonably possible. However, when I played through the same William fights in the exact same locations, ran into Mr. X the exact same way while solving the exact same item placements, and worst of all, having Annette's death be completely inconsistent with what I has just watched during Claire's play-through, it didn't feel good.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. Thank you for making this game a reality, and I hope to see many more of these in the near future!

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Game played incredibly smooth for me for the entirety of my A run but once I started B it's been barely holding 40fps and regularly drops to 30 for a few minutes at a time. I'm not entirely sure what changed between those two because I haven't touched the settings.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Dear Resident Evil 2 team,

I want to thank you all for all the hard work that came into making RE2 remake a reality. Millions of people like me had their wish come true with the release of this game.

I want to stress how much I loved my first play-through of New Game Claire or Claire A (old nomenclature). I cannot describe the amazing feelings of joy while thinking how to save ammo, solve puzzles, where to go next, etc. I was an extraordinary experience for me.

However, I do want to share with you a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind while playing Claire A, that made Leon B a bit of a disappointment:

• When Claire meets Leon just outside of the police station, after getting the spade key, I thought: "this is amazing! It has been between 30 and 60 minutes for me to get here (arguably more than the demo, and especially playing the game on Hardcore mode), so this only means that Leon has been wandering the city for a while before getting to the police station!". No such luck: Leon B gets there in a 1-minute run. Missed opportunity.
  • Leon doesn't just go in to the police station right there, so it could've taken him a while to get to the main area. Maybe he gets there after Claire leaves for the first time. That's exactly what I imagined as soon as the secret passage that was opened using the 3 medallions with Claire A was closed right behind her. I imagined Leon being able to leave the station for the first time through an alternate passage, using items other than the, by then useless, animal medallions. I even pictured having all of the doors unlocked by Claire still be unlocked, and maybe have Leon's unique gun ammo and key items there so that it would still be worth exploring. Maybe tougher enemies like the lickers would already be there, too, which would make sense if B scenarios were meant to be slightly tougher.
  • When I first ran into Mr. X, it was for sure a great first encounter, out of nowhere, without the need for a cutscene to make it that much more impactful. I did however think that in Leon B you would get to see where he came from (helicopter like in the original game, or something new), and have a completely different first encounter; maybe even while Claire was fighting William downstairs. And maybe that's why he was already there roaming the police station when Claire A gets back from the garage.
  • As soon as William ripped Mr. X going into the elevator, I had phenomenal thoughts of fighting a mutated, half-torn Tyrant in Leon B right around after that scene.
I will stop here because I think that even only these 4 thoughts make my point come across. Even only these 4 points can give you a picture of all the many instances where I was picturing what was to come of my B scenario run.

I adored my first playthrough with Claire; enough, on its own, to want to think of RE2 as a 10/10 game in my mind. And that thought is still there, don't get me wrong. BUT, when I got to the station as Leon B to meet with Claire in less than 60 seconds, I was a bit disappointed by the inconsistency. Solving the same puzzles and using the same keys to unlock the same rooms (except for heart vs. club keys) didn't bother me much, even though avoiding it was reasonably possible. However, when I played through the same William fights in the exact same locations, ran into Mr. X the exact same way while solving the exact same item placements, and worst of all, having Annette's death be completely inconsistent with what I has just watched during Claire's play-through, it didn't feel good.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. Thank you for making this game a reality, and I hope to see many more of these in the near future!

wrong thread?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my 170 is stuttering whenever I transition to new areas. It'll go down to like 53fps for a second, but it happens kinda frequently if I'm running back and forth between areas. Is that normal? 1080p, 130% image quality.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that I haven't encountered any stuttering yet (I just reached the sewers). This is at max settings, 3840x2160 @ 80% with a 1080 Ti, 4.5ghz 3570k and 16gb.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'd be glad if you could share your modified values, because they don't make much sense to me even after reading the tooltip in reshade.

This are all the values:

Effects=AdaptiveSharpen.fx,Clarity.fx,LumaSharpen.fx,Colourfulness.fx,Tonemap.fx,Curves.fx,Levels.fx
Techniques=AdaptiveSharpen,Clarity,ColorMatrix,Curves,LumaSharpen,Tonemap,Vibrance,Levels
TechniqueSorting=AdaptiveSharpen,Clarity,ColorMatrix,Curves,LumaSharpen,Tonemap,Vibrance,Levels,Daltonize,Deband,AdaptiveFog,NonLocalMeans,DisplayDepth,DepthHaze,DPX,AmbientLight,Emphasize,KNearestNeighbors,FilmicAnamorphSharpen,AdvancedCRT,FilmicPass,Layer,GlitchB,HighPassSharp,HSLShift,GaussianBlur,HQ4X,Mode1,Mode2,Mode3,LiftGammaGain,LUT,MultiLUT,Crosshair,Depth3D,LeiFx_Tech,LightDoF_AutoFocus,LightDoF_Far,LightDoF_Near,ChromaticAberration,PerfectPerspective,Tint,CinematicDOF,ReflectiveBumpmapping,Technicolor,Before,After,Technicolor2,RingDOF,MagicDOF,GP65CJ042DOF,MatsoDOF,MartyMcFlyDOF,Colourfulness,TiltShift,TriDither,UIMask_Top,UIMask_Bottom,ASCII,UIDetect,UIDetect_Before,UIDetect_After,MXAO,FXAA,SurfaceBlur,SMAA

[Clarity.fx]
ClarityRadius=3
ClarityBlendMode=2
ClarityOffset=2.000000
ClarityDarkIntensity=0.151000
ClarityBlendIfDark=50
ClarityBlendIfLight=205
ClarityViewBlendIfMask=0
ClarityStrength=0.084000
ClarityLightIntensity=0.051000
ClarityViewMask=0

[Vibrance.fx]
Vibrance=0.100000
VibranceRGBBalance=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

[Curves.fx]
Mode=0
Formula=4
Contrast=0.200000

[Tonemap.fx]
Defog=-0.020000
Bleach=1.200000
Gamma=0.900000
Exposure=-0.565000
Saturation=0.000000
FogColor=0.309804,0.027451,0.470588

[Levels.fx]
BlackPoint=5
WhitePoint=247
HighlightClipping=0

[ColorMatrix.fx]
ColorMatrix_Red=0.800000,0.200000,0.000000
ColorMatrix_Green=0.200000,0.655000,0.250000
ColorMatrix_Blue=0.200000,0.000000,0.850000
Strength=0.423000

[LumaSharpen.fx]
sharp_strength=0.350000
pattern=1
sharp_clamp=0.073000
offset_bias=1.000000
show_sharpen=0
Grain=0.006000

[AdaptiveSharpen.fx]
D_compr_low=0.250000
L_compr_low=0.167000
curve_height=0.053000
curveslope=0.500000
D_overshoot=0.009000
L_overshoot=0.003000
D_compr_high=0.500000
L_compr_high=0.334000
scale_lim=0.100000
scale_cs=0.056000
pm_p=0.700000

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game played incredibly smooth for me for the entirety of my A run but once I started B it's been barely holding 40fps and regularly drops to 30 for a few minutes at a time. I'm not entirely sure what changed between those two because I haven't touched the settings.
Yes, that's very weird.

I like to explore and take it slow in these games (unless I try speedrunning) and as such I have way over 24 hours play time by now, there were maybe 4 or 5 instances at total where the game dropped to 40 fps and various (at least 100) instances where it dropped to something like 55-58 fps.

I mean, obviously, I think turning vsync on helps - I never play without vsync, the thought alone is ridiculous to me, and I've also tried 30 fps cap, unplayable, still some drops, between locking the framerate to 60 or "unlocked" there seems to be no difference, the game is running at 60fps 99% of the time for me.

This is intriguing, I really wonder how a game can run so wildly different for different people, on what is, all things considered, similar systems....

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I have problems with screen tearing in brightly light areas when moving the camera as walking. It did help a bit going 59.64 whatever, but did not change the settings outside the game too. Got used to it eventually, mostly the glitchy excessive darkness that is a bigger problem when lack of light sources in rooms.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Right. I tried with V-Sync and it capped at 60, even though V-Sync should be doing that anyway, making the cap redundant and potentially causing issues. The only time I found the cap to really do much of anything is when using Borderless Windowed mode anyway. The cap by itself still causes tearing in full screen. Right now I have it capped at 60 in Borderless and V-Sync off.

I have the E6 sitting in my living room in a box, and I'm not sure I'll even be able to test that tonight, but for the hell of it, I transferred my main playthrough saves onto my older PC to see how the really bad (repeatable) areas looked on it. Flawlessly, even with Mr. X stomping around everywhere. I ran through the entire mansion and the frame times were essentially flat almost 100% of the time over the course of twenty minutes (it's a roller coaster on my newer PC hooked up to the plasma in this area).

One thing I am noticing though, and I'm not sure if this was the 30fps animation issue that was being discussed, but when turning corners there's a really bad blur that almost looks like ghosting, but it's not. The frame rate still shows 60, and the frame times are still at 16.6ms when this happens, but it's practically every corner if you quickly run around them. Another thing is that sometimes during the first few seconds after the game loads, it runs at an extremely low frame rate, like it's trying to load a bunch of assets, but then after those first few seconds, nothing.

Anyway, unless there was a stealth patch, maybe I just have gremlins living in my newer system. Having it hooked up to my monitor showed it running exactly the same as the older system in the troubled areas. It's working fine for now. Wondering if this game on PC is just problematic with TVs in general, but I'm at a loss. It keeps going from crap to perfect, back to crap, then flawless like there was never an issue in the first place. I even thought maybe my wireless controller might somehow be affecting it, but it's not that either.

Edit: The controller is the last thing I am checking, and considering the pacing problem did not happen when using a monitor (this seems like it now might just be completely coincidental) with a mouse and keyboard, I am now wondering if it actually is because of some constant frequency drops when using an Xbox One S controller via bluetooth. It's known to be a latency monster anyway, but I never thought it would actually affect the frame pacing. Each time I think I have found "the solution", the game seems to run great, then randomly it starts spiking all over the place in areas where it did not before. Yet there are also places where it's easily repeatable. Then other times it's smooth. When using a controller. I don't want to use a DS4 with this game, but just for the hell of it, after it was spiking again with the S controller, I hooked it up and no spikes so far. I guess I could always try running it wired, but it's supposed to be even worse with input lag while doing that.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the consensus on graphics memory usage? It's completely borked and greatly overestimates how much VRAM you actually need, right? My card has 8GB's, so can I max out the in-game setting and be fine?
I think many are misunderstanding what the Texture Memory number means in game. It's not supposed to represent a total number of you GPU VRAM. My theory is that it's additive on top of overall VRAM consumption. For example game running on max settings consumes certain amount of VRAM, if you choose Texture 3GB setting, that's additional 3GB on top of all the other assets that are using VRAM. This is why you get warnings even on 11GB cards. Texture 8GB setting is probably intended for 24GB cards and such.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I think many are misunderstanding what the Texture Memory number means in game. It's not supposed to represent a total number of you GPU VRAM. My theory is that it's additive on top of overall VRAM consumption. For example game running on max settings consumes certain amount of VRAM, if you choose Texture 3GB setting, that's additional 3GB on top of all the other assets that are using VRAM. This is why you get warnings even on 11GB cards. Texture 8GB setting is probably intended for 24GB cards and such.

I need to check this again, but it did not seem to be using even 5GB of VRAM at the max setting. I've been keeping it at 4GB anyway for testing purposes, but the game also uses around 4.5GB of system ram.

edit: No clue how it's allocating the memory. At 8GB textures, it uses up to 7.2GB of VRAM max, but doesn't seem to exceed it. In the mansion at least. Setting it to only 4GB however still sees it going as high as 6.8GB and system ram is sitting around 5GB. Setting it to 1GB still shows it using just under 4.7GB of VRAM.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason to get RTSS to work with this game I have to flip fullscreen off and on every time I boot it.