• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
RE7, 8, DMC5, and Monster Hunter Rise have also had their mods released, but they're essentially limited to 6 DOF camera & gamepad like PSVR. RE8 has early motion control.

github.com

Release Initial VR and Scripting System Release · praydog/REFramework

THIS IS THE OLD VERSION! GET THE NEWER VERSION HERE! Adds A fleshed out scripting system using Lua (check the wiki!) Generic 6DOF VR support to RE7, RE2, RE3, RE8, DMC5, and MHRISE Full motion con...

Generic 6DOF VR support to RE7, RE2, RE3, RE8, DMC5, and MHRISE
  • Full motion controls in RE2 and RE3 (when using FirstPerson, it is not enabled by default)
  • Physical knife damage in RE2/RE3
  • Physical grenade throwing in RE2/RE3
  • Early WIP motion controls for RE8
To use VR:
  • Install SteamVR
  • Simply extract ALL of the files in the zip for your respective game into your game install folder
What is the status of RE7 and RE8?

RE7 and RE8 are fully 6DOF and playable with a gamepad, but with a few caveats:

• RE7 has no motion controls at the moment
  • RE8's motion controls are in an experimental and incomplete state
  • There is no full body IK yet like RE2/RE3
  • The audio positioning will not match up with your HMD rotation
  • You cannot aim with your head yet
You've been warned!

What about the others like DMC5 and MHRise?

They are both fully 6DOF but with the least support, they have the same issue of audio positioning being incorrect.

DMC5 has some issues with some incorrect UI elements.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully someday RE7 VR on PC will be better than the version Capcom would have made.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
The mod looks so good, to the point where I don't want to touch the Sewers segment again in this mod. It'd be too spooky.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I need to see MHRise VR. Edit: this is fucking incredible. Monsters are huge, feels tense.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Reinstalling RE2 and RE8 now to try these mods out. Super fucking excited.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds very promising, sounds like 7, 8 etc. are still works in progress. Will definitely have to give these a shot in the future. The more Capcom games in VR, the better...

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Pics please, I want to see this.
2D shots wont work as the main monitor has both eye viewpoints overlayed on each other (graphical mess). Looks fine inside the headset though. The sense of scale is awesome, Rathian is huge. Hopefully it gets some polish before release of the full game. I could easily see myself doing lots of hunts in VR.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This might make me buy Resident Evil 2! I'm not that big on horror games, but if this works relatively bug free, it might be worth a shot. Haven't dabbled in VR in a while.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Thank you Resetera and please continue to let us know about such incredible mods that are helping us experience these games in a whole new way.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Anyone able to get the Xbox one controller working with 7 or Village? 2 and 3 work great but i can't get it or the Oculus controllers to work on these 2. Thanks in advance.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Would it work well with an Index controller? I know that it has some problems with games not really intended for them.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would it work well with an Index controller? I know that it has some problems with games not really intended for them.
It's a tad janky but works well enough. Definitely would be good enough for an entire playthrough. Mod has been optimized for touch controllers and index. Don't believe it has vive wands bindings

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Tried RE2. It looks great, but I can't get a handle on the controls or options. For example the in-menu options might say press B to return, but when I hit B on the Oculus controller it does nothing. I have to hit X on the controller to get out of it. When I try to skip the cutscenes I hit the A button, which then shows a prompt to show the menu when I just want the option to skip. I'd also like to do snap turning, but not quite sure how to do that. It's too smooth for my comfort level. I'd also like to turn off the head bobbing.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Im trying to get this to work but its giving me a game directory cannot be found error inside the reframework menu.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I cant seem to get this to work. When I launch RE2 it just launches in a window for a second. steam vr "launches" but nothing comes up in the quest 2.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I cant seem to get this to work. When I launch RE2 it just launches in a window for a second. steam vr "launches" but nothing comes up in the quest 2.
beastsaber.notion.site

Praydog’s Resident Evil 2, 3, 7 & 8 Village VR mods! | Notion

Playing Resident Evil 2R, 3R, 7 & 8 Village in VR is such an incredible experience and it’s all thanks to the hard work of Praydog and Cursey. If you can, please consider donating to say thanks here:

2. The game loads on my desktop, but never in the headset

If you have an HDR monitor:

If you have an HDR monitor, that uses a different texture format than VR headsets, so the game will not work. Some people got it working by toggling HDR on and off again in the settings (for some reason, it still uses HDR even when it's set to off by default.)

One workaround that always works is just to unplug your monitor before starting the game.

If you have multiple monitors

You might need to unplug all but one

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
beastsaber.notion.site

Praydog’s Resident Evil 2, 3, 7 & 8 Village VR mods! | Notion

Playing Resident Evil 2R, 3R, 7 & 8 Village in VR is such an incredible experience and it’s all thanks to the hard work of Praydog and Cursey. If you can, please consider donating to say thanks here:
done this. even physically unplugged my hdr monitor.

when i launch the game it freezes when trying to go to vr it seems.

edit: trying the newer version of the mod gets it to start steam vr but NEVER loads it in the headset.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ok now with dx 12 it loads vr but i get an error on the overlay that it cant find HMD presence. what the actual fuck am i doing wrong i dont get this.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like i get random results each time i run the damn thing. i dont know what to do.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got it working. had to reinstall RE2. its damn impressive. Its a little bit janky but the core gameplay works fine. Def have to lower some settings to get it running well though.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I tried RE2 for a while on a Quest 2 with a link cable and a 2080 Ti but couldn't get a good performance in the R.P.D. Lobby with 90Hz cap; the camera in first person is sometimes weird and gets unaligned with Leon's shoulders plus the menu opens up in a static direction. It definitely needs optimization but it's awesome seeing this in VR. I also ran into a bug where a certain enemy does spawn after a while but it seems you just need to toggle first person mode to fix it.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
2D shots wont work as the main monitor has both eye viewpoints overlayed on each other (graphical mess). Looks fine inside the headset though. The sense of scale is awesome, Rathian is huge. Hopefully it gets some polish before release of the full game. I could easily see myself doing lots of hunts in VR.

You weren't lying about how big Rathian feels. It crashed on me before I got around to checking out Magnamalo, will have to go back to it. But considering this is just using the base RE Engine modifications, without any game-specific stuff, it's surprisingly playable at this stage. Even as is, I think I'd want to go fight each monster at least once in VR, to really get a feel for them.

May have to reinstall DMC5 to see how that plays. Honestly I think 3rd person VR games are somewhat underexplored; simply getting that 3d view can change the feel a lot.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Remake one and it's fine, but it's missing certain buttons like inventory system and B (Back). Have to use controller/keyboard for it. Otherwise, it's pretty good mod.

I'm eager/waiting for 7 and 8 with full motion control update in future and then I can jump in for those games next.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I gotta try this but I'll prob bail by the first licker lol. Shame 2-handed weapons seem to use only one hand, but understandably that must be a pain to implement. Already an impressive amount of work put into this.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is merely functional with a Quest 2. You will likely need to turn on first person manually and turn off borderless window to get it to work. Even then, the cutscenes are... odd, and I found that the viewpoint was erratic. Would constantly get a floating 2D screen that was nowhere near where I was looking (such as opening the inventory), because it doesn't take into account manually moving your body. The buttons didn't quite map to what you'd expect either, although that might have been because I was playing in Virtual Desktop.

Also, the ammo counter is so far out of view it basically can't be read.

Still, the fact that it works at all and is playable is pretty impressive. I'd love to see them work out the kinks and make a genuinely playable mod.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Played RE2 via Airlink for about an hour. It's pretty damn cool but it's obviously really rough. Sucks that Capcom would never put the resources into actual official VR modes considering what modders can do on their own with the resources they have for free.

The cutscenes are obviously a problem. I have an iron VR stomach and they made me feel pretty weird. Also the button mapping on the Oculus controllers is a bit odd. The main thing that keeps this from being playable for me is the way the UI is handled. Lots of elements are not centered so it's hard to know what's going on sometimes. Also the way the game handled interaction is not good. Prompts like opening doors, using keys, etc are static but since you are turning all over the place they are constantly behind or off to the side.

Performance is not that good. I had everything set to medium with lots of stuff turned off and my 3080 was basically in reprojection city the entire time. Fortunately, Oculus frame compensation is really good.

Would be cool as hell if these kind of issues are ironed out. But it's amazing it works at all.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Performance is not that good. I had everything set to medium with lots of stuff turned off and my 3080 was basically in reprojection city the entire time
...and I was about to ask if there was any chance my 980 would manage this (with the llwest possible settings of course). Guess I'll have to wait...

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Really been anticipating this, and RE2 is just as good as expected. Amazing to go through it again like this after long enough that I've forgotten a lot of the game. It's instantly one of the very best VR titles, even when one run can be very quick the scale of the game in VR feels grand. There just aren't very many VR games that are as substantive as this, and definitely very few with this level of production value, which I'm now appreciating anew. I'm coming off of a spate of PSVR games, so even just the opening cutscene had me gaping at the level of detail in that trucker's character model and animation.

The only real issue I've found is that currently there's no way to switch what floor you're viewing on the map, aside from that the game is functionally completely intact and very usable. It would be nice to be able to two-hand weapons that are designed for it, but wielding the shotgun or grenade launcher akimbo does feel badass. You'll need a significant tolerance for simulated movement, since only smooth locomotion and turning are available, but for an experienced VR user I'd actually be fine recommending this for a first playthrough. I just got through Ada's section and it was very funny for her proto-Half-Life Alyx gameplay to become straight up Half-Life Alyx gameplay.

RE3 seems to be in just as good a state overall, but its heavier action is tougher to handle in VR, at least for me. Gauging your spacing and timing for dodges is a lot more difficult in first person, especially against Nemesis who gets in your face and fills your entire view. Making use of the perfect dodge bullet time is also much more difficult since you now need to manually aim, the reaction just points you in the right general direction since there's no reticle, just your hands. Also the red dot sight for the initial pistol is an active detriment because it's almost opaque. Pretty sure the dot isn't properly centered either, it clearly was never meant to be used in a realistic way.

Village might actually be completely playable except that somehow there's no way to disable vertical camera movement on the controller, so whenever you want to turn there's a good chance you'll accidentally change the vertical alignment of the camera as well, which just ruins it. Cutscenes are absolutely brutal with the constant camera movement, I've found RE2 and 3's much more tolerable though with rare exceptions. This game is really gorgeous in VR, wish the cutscenes weren't so sickness inducing.

RE7 surprisingly is in the worst state, it doesn't seem to support tracked controllers at all and I couldn't get the camera position in proper alignment despite recalibrating repeatedly. I played it on PSVR way back so this isn't a massive loss, but it would be cool to see it in high res.

Endless kudos to the modders, this is amazing stuff.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
...and I was about to ask if there was any chance my 980 would manage this (with the llwest possible settings of course). Guess I'll have to wait...

i have an AMD 580 and it's not happening. The entire game world feels like glass that's about to shatter, lots of stutter, loss of frames and so on. I tried the different settings and things to get it to work well but just not happening on my PC, I'm also CPU limited so it could be that.

I got to play it at horrible frame rate and it works in terms of a VR game. I was getting headshots on zombies, running away from a towering Mr. X and so on. It just looked like utter crap for me.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Played a bit of RE2, runs great for me but my issue is the menus are always BEHIND where I am looking (both the start menu and when i go to inventory boxes). Pretty annoying and makes it not great to play long. Anyone figure out a fix to that?

You can also get snap turning working by using OVR. Instructions here: https://beastsaber.notion.site/beas...l-2-3-VR-mod-3db8bd110ebf4a38870e1a5114b16998

SteamVR's orientation is used as the game's default orientation, so wherever SteamVR is set to face is where the non-dynamic menus appear. There's a button on the SteamVR dashboard to recenter its orientation.

Do these mods support teleport movement or is it smooth movement only?

Smooth movement only.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
How is anyone playing this on oculus? There's zero resources I can find to even play the damn thing.

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling game and same shit. loads to a black screen with a mouse cursor.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah having major difficulties running any of these mods on Oculus quest 2. Always starts in theatre mode and never in vr. The whole thing is just all over the place.

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Loved my playthrough of RE2 on my G2. Played the first hour of RE3 for the first time. It is way scarier if you know nothing of the game beforehand. RE3 ran a bit less stable than RE2.