• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
So I haven't paid too much attention. Is this literally one and done. Once you've done the 30 minutes you can't play again, or is it just you can only spend 30 minutes playing per run of the demo?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't paid too much attention. Is this literally one and done. Once you've done the 30 minutes you can't play again, or is it just you can only spend 30 minutes playing per run of the demo?
Once you've played for 30 minutes that's it you can't play anymore. So if you beat the demo on 20 minutes you could play it again but you'd then only have 10 minutes to play.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Do the Souls games/Bloodborne not count? If anything, those games brought those elements back to the larger audience
Not to the same degree, at least to me. Levels do get interconnected passages, but rarely feel labyrinthine. RE is claustrophobic, maze-like by design; Souls games are broader in space, to accomodate for action where extra maneuvering is a small concession to the player. There's also rarely an instance in those games where you're demanded to retrieve an item in order to use it somewhere else. For this RE, that goal is recurrent, and as we have a limited inventory (Souls games are generous in this regard), it brings forward a new layer of tension.

I agree there's some similarity, but this goes further in many levels (different genres, after all). It's a sort of Metroidvania in a 3D space, which is what classic RE always was about. Simulators like Prey, Dishonored, Deus Ex, have this DNA too, yet in the most recent case, they date from 2017 or earlier, as with the Souls series.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They did, but I don't think old OST would work with remake anyway – game has different pacing and atmosphere. New OST fits this game much better.
that's kinda of a greedy move imho.
well i hope you're right because from the trailer the new ost doesn't seem good like the old one but i will see by myself with the demo in a couple of hours.

(sorry for my english)

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Just played through.

Got to the library and ran out of time. It looks good. Sounds good. I like the parts that are the same but other stuff was fucking with me. I miss the simplicity of the lobby from before.

But it's cool.

Can't belive it's a one time demo.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I spent ages fucking around in the demo so don't think I reached the end. Really impressed with what I saw - for me it takes the nostalgia from the original game and adds enough freshness to keep it exciting. Too early to say but I'm hoping the full thing is equal to REMake.

No issues with the graphics, on a broke ass normal PS4 and they look fine to me. Might try the Steam demo later to see how it looks on my 1050 laptop.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They did, but I don't think old OST would work with remake anyway – game has different pacing and atmosphere. New OST fits this game much better.
You're right that the old OST won't fit this game as well as the original simply due to it not being created for this game, but I think it will still be better than the new OST. You can barely notice the new OST outside of combat.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I am definitely going to pay the stupid amount for the DLC that brings back the RESIDENT EVIL 2 announcer.

Nov 27, 2017
Complaints after playing the demo:

Please fix the sound of the pistol when you hit enemies. It sounds pathethic. Just copy the original gun sound.
Graphics are kinda weird, expected it to be "cleaner"
Camera movement also weird, like if it's delayed or something.

Feb 10, 2018
Just played for 30mins, it's really good, great graphics and controls. Well polished.

It's a shame the black levels are not very good. The darkness looks grey.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
The demo has a 30 minutes time limit, after it you can't play it anymore.

Lol I'm not even going to bother then. I'm the unluckiest person ever when it comes to gaming. Soon as I hit start I promise you my fiancee will call to get a ride because her car died or something.

True story:
Back in the very early Destiny 1 days, my fiancee and I with another friend were doing the Valus T'auric nightfall which was taking forever (corner cheese says hi) and right before we killed him a guy going down my road "fell asleep" behind the wheel and rammed into the utility pole in my front yard, effectively cutting the power to my entire house. Confused, I ran outside and saw the dude standing in my yard by his car saying "Ahh not again. Damnit!" He was confused himself when my first words going outside were "WHAT THE FUCK MAN WE ALMOST KILLED HIM".

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that's kinda of a greedy move imho.
well i hope you're right because from the trailer the new ost doesn't seem good like the old one but i will see by myself with the demo in a couple of hours.

(sorry for my english)

Do you blame them for trying to make money lol. OST swap is clearly direct to the hardcore fan, it is not something they would want to feature in the REmake2 by default.

The new OST is not as good to you only because it's more like ambient background music rather than direct loud BGM like the original game, so it won't sounds as clear. But to me, it match the game more since you no longer separate by room.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i still hate the endless commentary. in the space of a minute leon can say a bunch of out of context, random shit that makes him annoying as all hell.

"now what"
"shit"
"you bastard"
"what the..."
"asshole"
"what is this"
"this is a nightmare"

not only is it really disconnected with what is actually going on, if there isn't literally a million variation of this sort of dialogue, it's going to get repetitive so fast.

it's pretty much the only thing i dislike, but it's there all the damn time so it's super hard to ignore.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm not even going to bother then. I'm the unluckiest person ever when it comes to gaming. Soon as I hit start I promise you my fiancee will call to get a ride because her car died or something.

True story:
Back in the very early Destiny 1 days, my fiancee and I with another friend were doing the Valus T'auric nightfall which was taking forever (corner cheese says hi) and right before we killed him a guy going down my road "fell asleep" behind the wheel and rammed into the utility pole in my front yard, effectively cutting the power to my entire house. Confused, I ran outside and saw the dude standing in my yard by his car saying "Ahh not again. Damnit!" He was confused himself when my first words going outside were "WHAT THE FUCK MAN WE ALMOST KILLED HIM".
The timer stops in the menus so you can always pause it.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo, wish I'd taken a bit more time to look around, still had 4mins left. Not sure if I'm a fan of zombies living through everything but decapitation, I guess this will be more about avoiding zombies rather than killing them, which likely means I'll have a shitload of ammo at bosses.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Do you blame them for trying to make money lol. OST swap is clearly direct to the hardcore fan, it is not something they would want to feature in the REmake2 by default.

The new OST is not as good to you only because it's more like ambient background music rather than direct loud BGM like the original game, so it won't sounds as clear. But to me, it match the game more since you no longer separate by room.
When you make a remake and lock one of the iconic aspect of the game in a deluxe edition yes, i think is kinda of a greedy move.
And At least Half of the people who are gonna buy the remake are hardcore fan of the original game, is not a small part like you think.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Waking up and I'm not seeing any PC impressions so I'm assuming it's not out in any region there, bummer I was hoping modders would get to work early removing the timer so it was good to go by the time it released worldwide.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i still hate the endless commentary. in the space of a minute leon can say a bunch of out of context, random shit that makes him annoying as all hell.

"now what"
"shit"
"you bastard"
"what the..."
"asshole"
"what is this"
"this is a nightmare"

not only is it really disconnected with what is actually going on, if there isn't literally a million variation of this sort of dialogue, it's going to get repetitive so fast.

it's pretty much the only thing i dislike, but it's there all the damn time so it's super hard to ignore.
Yeah. He really needs to stop reacting to zombies after meeting Marvin.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what resolution this demo runs at on One X? Doesn't seem like 4k or the IQ looks muddy to my eyes. I dunno visuals don't seem as impressive as I was expecting, environmental detail seems like a step down from REVII. Was looking at something as simple as a door and it looked fairly simple geometry and texture wise.

Inconsistent is what I'd say about the visuals overall, as the flashlight sections are almost like a completely different game in terms of perceived lighting quality. Here's hoping this is an old build and retail version looks better overall.