• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Leon's quips at least make him seem somewhat phased by the situation. Ethan from RE7 acted like it was just a regular bad day for him.

AWESOME demo. Feels like playing RE2 for the first time again, nailing the core concepts that made the game what it was while reinventing it for today. The gore is a little much for me, though, way too visceral. Does anyone know what the censored version coming out in other regions is like?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original RE2...all classic RE's really...didn't really let you aim at specific body parts in any way, except with the shotgun. You just took shots in the enemies' direction and the damage you did was randomized with each weapon having a lowest possible value and highest possible value per hit, so zombies could take like anything between 2 to 15 handgun bullets so that you wouldn't get too comfortable.

Even with locational aiming in the Remake I'm pretty sure they kept this in, with headshots just doing generally more damage. Would be too easy if you could down zombies with 1-2 headshots.
I mean there's more enemies than just zombies, and it's numbers and resources. I'll be a little disappointed if I have to spend all my time dodging/running away because I never have ammo even when I'm a crack shot. I mean I definitely dodged around some enemies and will to conserve ammo. But I enjoy the combat challenge as well. (Don't want to spend all my time swinging my knife, and eventually breaking? It either though)
Just play it with HDR then nothings dark. It's all pale grey
Is the games HDR fake. It definitely seemed a lot lighter than a video I watched on my B7 with HDR

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leon's quips at least make him seem somewhat phased by the situation. Ethan from RE7 acted like it was just a regular bad day for him.

AWESOME demo. Feels like playing RE2 for the first time again, nailing the core concepts that made the game what it was while reinventing it for today. The gore is a little much for me, though, way too visceral. Does anyone know what the censored version coming out in other regions is like?

Gore is really toned down in the Japanese version. For example, the cop you pull under the shutter doesn't rip in half in the Japanese version, he's just really bloody from the waist down.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Never played RE2 and I liked the demo, finished it in 23 minutes. The gore is amazing, although I wish the game was a bit scarier, this felt more like an action game rather than a horror. And yeah, the gun sounds are really bad.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What purpose is being served by having weapons/ammo and important items like keys share the same limited inventory?
To make you choose what you take wisely. You want a lot of healing items? you;re gonna have to limit the weapons and ammo you take and vice versa as you also need room for key items.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Did they remove a lot of the puzzles from the original demo ? Where is the portable safe ? Leon's desk puzzle ? Oh well, the game is coming in two weeks anyway

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20190111184919_1.jpg

Switch version looking good

Daaaaaamn. Is that docked?

Dec 8, 2018
REALLY good and intense and scary...and most importantly (in part due to the 1 shot nature of the demo and the 30 min time limit which increases the survival horror aspects of it imo), FUN!

Oct 27, 2017
Demo is great! Day 1.

My small problems with the game:

- Leon making cheesy comments when shooting enemies or walking down hallways. Really messes up the tension.

Ha, yeah it's sometimes a bit odd. I was walking carefully down a corridor, nothing happening and for no obvious reason Leon goes "SHIT" and then nothing continues to happen. Made me chuckle.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, yeah it's sometimes a bit odd. I was walking carefully down a corridor, nothing happening and for no obvious reason Leon goes "SHIT" and then nothing continues to happen. Made me chuckle.

This is so funny. I love it

edit: it's probably not intended but I can see Leon just randomly cussing out when nothing is happening thinking about how much of a mess he put himself into.

Jun 26, 2018
Tried the demo again on PC, went blazing speed and beat it in 10:01...

Bineural audio works real good, and finally got around to using the shotgun, and it was mighty satisfying to use.

Also, best zombies in a zombie game I've ever seen...

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot. I finished it in about 20 minutes, but it feels like I missed a ton of stuff - never found the shotgun. I do wish the gun play had a bit more zing to it, it feels like you're shooting an air gun.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played it. Mostly was annoyed with fiddling with graphics settings to try to get it to run well to really enjoy it, but I'll try again on ps4.

Pros:
-the level design seems pretty great. It looks more complex than the original game, with tons of stuff to come back for later.
-atmosphere is really nice, even though I was rushing through it and didn't really get a chance to linger. So far it's a bit too dark and blue, but I assume you can turn lights back on to sections of the station. But the sound of the wind howling and water splashing is great, and each room seems to have its own identity and details to make it memorable.
-the zombie models are great, and I think I only saw one repeated. The gore is excellent as well. They seem very resilient so when combined with the increased complexity of the levels I'm sure there will be a lot of tough choices as to how to best spend your bullets.
-boarding up windows is a great idea, since I'm sure you won't be able to board up all of them.
-It's a shame Marvin won't last long because he's easily the most authentically acted and written character I've seen in an RE game.

Mixed/Negative:
-Honestly, not sold on the camera perspective yet. I was a "fixed angles" guy but I thought the third person angle would work perfectly fine if the game were designed for it. But I think the levels are too cramped for it to really work, I was getting blind sided by zombies a few times. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it to get used to it or adjust the FOV or something, but after one demo run through I feel like even FPS view would have been a better choice.
-Graphics were underwhelming, but I'll chalk that up to this being an old build and my frustrations with getting the game to run smoothly.
-Leon's pistol is incredibley unsatsifying to use. It has a super weak sound, and the zombies have this weird floaty hit reaction, especially when they fall down in like slow motion, that really dampens the impact.
-No zombie moans is a bummer. The vacant moans were more atmospheric and creepy than the generic "scary snarl" that most people go with these days.
-The music was pretty lame. The save theme is way too muted.

Ultimately came out of the demo feeling not as blown away as I thought I would be which is unfortunate, but what it seems to do well is excellent. I think if I hadn't had to rush through the demo so I could soak up the atmosphere, get used to mechanics and aesthetics, and try to get the damn thing to run smoothly I would have had a better experience though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
VRtDvIGl.jpg

I had more than enough time to finish it, eventhough I didn't hurry, which makes it all the more funny how people were outraged by the time limit. I loved the demo, and I'm very much looking forward to the full game, but I was a bit disappointed it didn't start from the streets like the original.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm going in totally fresh - no trailers, no gameplay, nothing. I recently fell in love with the RE series so I've never played 2. I am excited as hell; it's probably my most hyped game of the year. I'll need to wait a bit since school starts around the time of release.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got in relatively fresh and nice changes to the station and all...some really caught me off guard like the area above the dark room.
I find the tactic to headshot -> run past zombies to be pretty OP for now lol

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
That was AWESOME
I really want to buy this now, the graphics are just *muah * and the gore is amazing. will wait for reviews though.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Besides looking kinda dull,lighting wise and the grey/greensish look to the graphics,I really enjoyed the demo on the 1X...hopefully HDR will be optimised better so it will pop a little more but it's a RE game,not expecting rainbow colors everywhere...the gore was awesome.If HDR is fucked,like in MHW,I will just turn it off,sadly.

Last edited:

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
And was it really too much work to animate actually opening doors. It just takes me out of it when doors just magically open without any character animation at all. It looks so fake and artificial, especial when everything else looks so realistic.
Are you purely looking for an aesthetic change or were you also looking for them to change the gameplay around doors opening in general? If doors moved alongside characters actually opening, it'd change the dynamic around how you fought near them.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
just beat it on Steam in 23 minutes.
could have explored some more.

what can you even do in the demo?
is it possible to get the 3 medalions?

can you find the codes for the lockers and so on somewhere?

Inspirit

May 29, 2018

You can't get the three medalions, but I was able to open one of the locker using the letters 'BIO', I was actually surprised it worked, don't know about the other ones though lol

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'm going to need to play the demo in order to remember anything about this game.
All I remember is beating it and enjoying it what, two decades ago? Was it the GOAT of the Resident Evils or something?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

You can only get two medallions and some of the locker codes can be easily guessed by looking at the available letters such as "BIO" and "RES".

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Feels amazing to play on PC with KB/M. I just hope the final visuals look less washed out and that there's waaay less pistol ammo so it's more threatening and I have to pick my battles.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Played and finished it just a good work but it is a shame it gives me motion sickness maybe i'll skip it

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
What purpose is being served by having weapons/ammo and important items like keys share the same limited inventory?

My dude, that's the whole reason why resident evil's design works. Having to plan what you have on you, what to take and leave behind, and base it around what you think you're going to encounter and try to go about the best route possible is where most of the tension and strategy comes from.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My dude, that's the whole reason why resident evil's design works. Having to plan what you have on you, what to take and leave behind, and base it around what you think you're going to encounter and try to go about the best route possible is where most of the tension and strategy comes from.
RE4 didn't mix key items with the rest of your inventory.

Maybe this is exactly how it was in the original RE2, I certainly don't remember, but I certainly don't care for it.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

RE4 was also a linear action game where the main gameplay component is killing all the enemies in locked off combat arenas. The classic RE games are adventure games with light puzzle elements, and inventory management is a key part to making them work.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is exactly how it was in the original RE2, I certainly don't remember, but I certainly don't care for it.
It is. It's how every pre RE4 game handled key items. The reason it wasn't brought forward to RE4 was because it didn't fit with the level design of that game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thats how it was indeed for old school RE 1-3,CV

I never liked it either, but you are usually given the option to throw away keys on the spot if you unlocked all doors/items that need it so I just unlocked all the doors and then back tracked to fill up on stuff.

the problem here is that certian RE games force you to be carrying at least one key item into the final act which means you would have to be sure you have what you NEED with you before you fight final bosses and nothing more.

EDIT: Sorry for the dog pile jett, I was late it seems

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Biggest letdown is textures, and I hope it's just the demo being heavily compressed which has actually been done before. However, I doubt it.

It just defeats the purpose of going all "immersive 3D" imo, if we're able to look up close at things but something as basic as a newspaper clipping only has a title and obviously black unintelligible lines.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was absolutely fabulous. I would kill for this in VR. It felt more like classic RE2 than I ever imagined it would.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played and finished it just a good work but it is a shame it gives me motion sickness maybe i'll skip it

Same here. And I do think this has something to do with the RE Engine. The same happened when I played Resident Evil 7. Even with the shaking of the character during movement disabled I still got motion sickness. It sucks though because this never happens when playing games from the Third Person Perspective.