• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm moving constantly between getting this game at launch/near launch for the XB1X or getting it in a few months time for PC. I'd have made my decision by now if only there wasn't that damned blur on the X version. I don't want a game that actively blurs out details in the environment for seemingly no reason at all.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is the first time I've played a Resident Evil game and this is going to be a big NOPE from me. I'm a wuss and jumped at absolutely everything. Plus I don't love the way it controls. Game looks fantastic, though. I hope it's what RE fans were hoping for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've played a Resident Evil game and this is going to be a big NOPE from me. I'm a wuss and jumped at absolutely everything. Plus I don't love the way it controls. Game looks fantastic, though. I hope it's what RE fans were hoping for.
Personally there was nothing scary about this demo. You're so much more agile than the slow-ass zombies that they're just a total chore to fight through.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
None of you made any compelling arguments for this assbackwards shit coming back.

I didn't like the demo, so I didn't bother.
Inventory management and needing to decide if/what you should sacrifice for a certain route? Just because it's older or because newer games do things differently doesn't mean the design is outdated, bad, or backwards.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They randomized bullet damage? Are you sure? Why not randomize enemy health instead??

Randomized bullet damage decreases the reliability of a kill for a given weapon

Randomized health decreases the reliability of a kill for a given enemy

In games where certain, scarce weapons are supposed to have significant specific advantages randomizing damage makes a lot more sense than randomizing health -- imagine one gun that does 1-5 damage, one gun that does 2-5, and an enemy with 4 health --- the first gun could take between 1 and 4 shots to kill the enemy, the second, between 1-2.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demo was cool, the city/precinct setting in RE2 was always my favorite one, looking forward to playing the full game. :)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
What the hell was that....
I had no expectations going into this and came away just blown away.
-The encounter design is just incredible. Many many horror games make it clear that when you press this button or pick up this item you're going to wake the enemies. But in RE2 it is far less predictable and it feels like the zombies are acting on their own and wandering aimlessly. It's never clear when the sleeping zombies will wake up and you always feel like you are trying to weigh whether or not to engage now or later. Just hearing the groans and having no idea where it's coming from is thrilling as you frantically spin around with your flash light looking for them.
-I was EXPLORING! Lots of locked doors, surprisingly unlocked doors, and so many other nooks and crannies. I actually needed to look at the map which felt so weirdly refreshing. I never realized how open these games were now that I am seeing how everything ties together with no loading.
-Running away felt like it was encouraged. Very very few games are willing to overwhelm the player and this one felt like it was doing it constantly. In older games running always felt like I was gaming the system since you kind of bump into the enemy as you run past them, but in this there were clear opportunities to use the environment to get around them if you were smart about it. But everytime you run you just know it's gonna bite you in the ass later since you are just delaying the inevitable encounter.

This game is going to be great. And Capcom is insane if they aren't considering a Dino Crisis in the same vein as this.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I saw a comment on a video somewhere saying that the old REs are basically adventure games with zombies. That's the kind of thing people miss and why people are excited to see it back here. Weird item limits and stupidly arcane puzzle solutions. It's what I miss from old RE anyway. Action RE has been hopelessly supplanted by stuff like Gears of War anyway.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inventory management and needing to decide if/what you should sacrifice for a certain route? Just because it's older or because newer games do things differently doesn't mean the design is outdated, bad, or backwards.

It is outdated, but RE treats it like a mini-puzzle game. The originals were made in a way where prioritizing was needed and it did somewhat work. Speedrunners found the optimal paths to take/when to pick up/when to store/etc.

Now an argument could be made if you're doing a full remake, you bring everything up to 2019 standards, but I think most fans are wanting all of the iconic things of the originals kept in. For the most part.

REmake still had inventory management/item box/typewriters. Most games these days you can save whenever, but the classic RE's had you needing to get to a typewriter.

It's why I'll take 3rd person in this, because of the original, but I really hope RE8 is FP. It's probably not helping I feel something is seriously off with the movement of Leon.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
None of you made any compelling arguments for this assbackwards shit coming back.

lol. How would being able to pick up everything you want enhance the game? There would be no planning, backtracking, or tension around limited resources and it wouldn't maximize the map space because you wouldn't have to make tough choices. I'm unsure what sort of game you want this to be. How does having to choose between bringing health, ammo, puzzle items, and other supply items as you travel through dark corridors filled with enemies you have strategically decided to kill, maim, or avoid—and not just being able to bring all of it—not sound like it would enhance the tension and strategy?

I think you just want it to be an action game, which is fine, but this ain't it.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell was that....
I had no expectations going into this and came away just blown away.
-The encounter design is just incredible. Many many horror games make it clear that when you press this button or pick up this item you're going to wake the enemies. But in RE2 it is far less predictable and it feels like the zombies are acting on their own and wandering aimlessly. It's never clear when the sleeping zombies will wake up and you always feel like you are trying to weigh whether or not to engage now or later. Just hearing the groans and having no idea where it's coming from is thrilling as you frantically spin around with your flash light looking for them.
-I was EXPLORING! Lots of locked doors, surprisingly unlocked doors, and so many other nooks and crannies. I actually needed to look at the map which felt so weirdly refreshing. I never realized how open these games were now that I am seeing how everything ties together with no loading.
-Running away felt like it was encouraged. Very very few games are willing to overwhelm the player and this one felt like it was doing it constantly. In older games running always felt like I was gaming the system since you kind of bump into the enemy as you run past them, but in this there were clear opportunities to use the environment to get around them if you were smart about it. But everytime you run you just know it's gonna bite you in the ass later since you are just delaying the inevitable encounter.

This game is going to be great. And Capcom is insane if they aren't considering a Dino Crisis in the same vein as this.
Same. It's fantastic. So happy.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So firing multiple shots at the head until they die is the wrong way to play for each zombie you come across? That's what I did because I didn't want to get ganged up on.

You can do that but you will run out of ammo fast if you play that way, and zombies are only the start of the horror's that await you and you are gonna need some of that ammo for the bigger enemies.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
This game is perfect. It shows that over the shoulder/3rd person view was never such a big problem. This is a perfect evolution of it and i'm glad t hey went back!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm moving constantly between getting this game at launch/near launch for the XB1X or getting it in a few months time for PC. I'd have made my decision by now if only there wasn't that damned blur on the X version. I don't want a game that actively blurs out details in the environment for seemingly no reason at all.

That's where I'm at. I hate the blurring on X, but the Pro is noisy, has aliasing, messed up SSR and worse performance. I wish they'd offer an AA choice in game. As it stands I'd take the aliasing of the Pro over X, but the other negatives make it tricky.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It is outdated, but RE treats it like a mini-puzzle game. The originals were made in a way where prioritizing was needed and it did somewhat work.

Now an argument could be made if you're doing a full remake, you bring everything up to 2019 standards, but I think most fans are wanting all of the iconic things of the originals kept in. For the most part.

REmake still had inventory management/item box/typewriters. Most games these days you can save whenever, but the classic RE's had you needing to get to a typewriter.
You just explained why it's not outdated. If a game decides to treat inventory management and exploration as an active puzzle, then this kind of design works wonderfully

It's like saying that the Baldurs Gate-style dialogue choice lists are outdated because dialogue wheels are a thing now. The former allows for mechanics and design that the latter can't do, and depending on the design, works better

If something is outdated, then it implies that the newer systems and designs are superior and replace the functions of the old. But that's not often the case with game design; often older approaches allow for design/mechanical opportunities that the newer, more popular ones don't

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's where I'm at. I hate the blurring on X, but the Pro is noisy, has aliasing, messed up SSR and worse performance. I wish they'd offer an AA choice in game. As it stands I'd take the aliasing of the Pro over X, but the other negatives make it tricky.

I suppose it's best to just get the game after launch when the Digital Foundry video is out. There's been no answer as to what build this is or whether things will change in the final game so it can go either way.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Eh to be fair, if you're using your pistol on said bigger enemies then you're probably fucked anyway.

Well every bit of ammo counts and if you run out of bigger ammo and have to resort to the pistol, it could save you, if you don't plan things very well.

Also shotgun blasts aren't 100% guaranteed to kill a zombie if your aim is a little off or fire too early, so wasting shotgun shells is even worse.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just explained why it's not outdated. If a game decides to treat inventory management and exploration as an active puzzle, then this kind of design works wonderfully

It's like saying that the Baldurs Gate-style dialogue choice lists are outdated becuase dialogue wheels are a thing now. The former allows for mechanics and design that the latter can't do, and depending on the design, works better

If something is outdated, then it implies that the newer systems and designs are superior and replace the functions of the old. But that's not often the case with game design; often older approaches allow for design/mechanical opportunities that the newer, more popular ones don't

When we're down the levels of literal keys taking up the same inventory space as larger items then I'd say there is an argument to be made. Other games might have a separate container for keys where they don't take up space.

RE's approach is EVERYTHING has to be managed, whereas a more modern balance could be achieved.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Am opposite, I've never played a RE game because I'm a wuss. But, now that I'm older this type of horror doesn't scare me that much so I'm ready for it. Now, PT is fucking terrifying.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just played it and it was pretty fantastic. Felt incredibly tense and well done horror. Will definitely have to pick it up later.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Randomized bullet damage decreases the reliability of a kill for a given weapon

Randomized health decreases the reliability of a kill for a given enemy

In games where certain, scarce weapons are supposed to have significant specific advantages randomizing damage makes a lot more sense than randomizing health -- imagine one gun that does 1-5 damage, one gun that does 2-5, and an enemy with 4 health --- the first gun could take between 1 and 4 shots to kill the enemy, the second, between 1-2.

You could design logic that randomizes health instead of hit damage that would result in the same situation, or still be virtually indistinguishable to the player. I don't know. Random damage feels like something from RPG, this being more of an action game, i didn't expect them to do it the same way.

Tomaytos tomahtos i guess.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third person view just kills it from being scary at all for me. Nothing about this felt new or fresh, feel really indifferent to it after my time with the demo.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
When we're down the levels of literal keys taking up the same inventory space as larger items then I'd say there is an argument to be made. Other games might have a separate container for keys where they don't take up space.

RE's approach is EVERYTHING has to be managed, whereas a more modern balance could be achieved.

It could be achieved but they are staying true to the original game and the puzzle elements of the originals. This isn't just a full on action game, the puzzle elements are still very much at the core of this remake.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Am opposite, I've never played a RE game because I'm a wuss. But, now that I'm older this type of horror doesn't scare me that much so I'm ready for it. Now, PT is fucking terrifying.
Tense pressure and foreboding atmosphere, rather than unease and dread

Isn't that kind of the line between survival-horror (RE) and horror (PT)? Is RE2 even actually trying to "scare" us or just make us feel overwhelmed and tense?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a really big fan of the original RE style inventory system, and considering that this lets you increase your inventory space (and possibly significantly, if the way the menu is laid out), I'm fine with key items taking up a spot or two.

Demo pretty much shot the game up to one of my most anticipated games yet. I almost don't want to try it on PC right away because of the 30 minute time limit, lol.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could design logic that randomizes health instead of hit damage that would result in the same situation, or still be virtually indistinguishable to the player. I don't know. Random damage feels like something from RPG, this being more of an action game, i didn't expect them to do it the same way.

Tomaytos tomahtos i guess.

The player maybe wouldn't be able to like, guess the damage spread of each weapon, but it would absolutely feel different. Another illustrative common case is under random weapon damage a common scenario is like, two weapons where their minimum damages _together_ guarantee a kill on an enemy, so the player can always switch from the stronger weapon to the weaker weapon if the stronger weapon doesnt kill on the first hit and gaurantee a finish. With random health, those relationships between weapons become much blurrier.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that was a fantastic demo. Really happy to see a traditional survival horror with a few modern tweaks and some production value to boot. I couldn't be more excited for the whole thing.