• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spent 36 minutes on my first playthrough alone. Went and pre-ordered the deluxe version immediately after. Everything I ever wanted from this game. Too hyped for words.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Even when waiting till it resets entirely, they were not dropping constantly with 3 and I was hitting them in the middle of their forehead (pc, easy to aim).

Sometimes you get a head explosion with one bullet, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 shots for a zombie to go down

Yeah as I understand it, shots with a focussed crosshair have a chance to be a critical hit.
Would love to see an exact break down of how this system works.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as I understand it, shots with a focussed crosshair have a chance to be a critical hit.
Would love to see an exact break down of how this system works.

I think it's just a mindset thing, ie: kill a zombie = headshot, so it feels a bit off when it takes 3-4.

Saying that, zombie lore is not consistent and the T-Virus works in a certain way, so it fits fine. Just need to get used to it I think.

I do hope there's a weapon upgrade system of sorts, or some way to increase your crit, reload, etc.. maybe perma-stims like in RE7.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a mindset thing, ie: kill a zombie = headshot, so it feels a bit off when it takes 3-4.

Saying that, zombie lore is not consistent and the T-Virus works in a certain way, so it fits fine. Just need to get used to it I think.

I do hope there's a weapon upgrade system of sorts, or some way to increase your crit, reload, etc.. maybe perma-stims like in RE7.
Zombies wouldn't be a threat, you wouldn't have to worry about ammo, or decide between combat or running away or if you have enough time and distance to put zombies down, if they died with single headshots

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Zombies wouldn't be a threat, you wouldn't have to worry about ammo, or decide between combat or running away or if you have enough time and distance to put zombies down, if they died with single headshots

They could resolve this by making the zombies lurch more, or perhaps start walking toward you a little faster at a further distance, or have 1-2 more appear around the corner for each encounter.

They could still be a threat with some clever design.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
They could resolve this by making the zombies lurch more, or perhaps start walking toward you a little faster at a further distance, or have 1-2 more appear around the corner for each encounter.

They could still be a threat with some clever design.
If they're all going down with one shot, none of that really matters. What's 7 zombies when you have 12 bullets in your clip?

Individual zombies being more resilient is more interesting design-wise, than being easy to kill but there are a lot of them. The latter just makes them fodder like most any other zombie game

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If they're all going down with one shot, none of that really matters. What's 7 zombies when you have 12 bullets in your clip?

Individual zombies being more resilient is more interesting design-wise, than being easy to kill but there are a lot of them. The latter just makes them fodder like most any other zombie game

Of course it matters. You're ignoring the entire point of the design elements I listed. If they lurch erratically and speed up with x distance then the tension increases which means placing that one shot becomes more crucial.

Zombies being more resilient is far less interesting than zombies that would be harder to hit. One is a number increase, the other is intelligent design to produce an encounter that while technically simple in terms of "one bullet = one kill", takes more focus and skill to actually pull off.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it matters. You're ignoring the entire point of the design elements I listed. If they lurch erratically and speed up with x distance then the tension increases which means placing that one shot becomes more crucial.

Zombies being more resilient is far less interesting than zombies that would be harder to hit. One is a number increase, the other is intelligent design to produce an encounter that while technically simple in terms of "one bullet = one kill", takes more focus and skill to actually pull off.

Having really fast zombies that die in one hit would negate both the resource management and path planning aspects of resident evil since as long as you have bullets you know exactly how many zombies you can kill, gets rid of the wounding or "play dead" aspect, and when you run into one there would be no avoiding them so the game would basically have to give you enough ammo to kill every zombie you encounter.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I'm a game developer who works with content every day, my sets are calibrated perfectly fine, all of them. There are issues with the HDR. It's lerfectly easy to get a good result in the main hall. But once you go under the metal shutter, the lighting goes crazy and suddenly your looking at grey and blue shadows.

I'm not the only developer to say they can see this, I'm not the only person. In fact, so far, you're the first person I've seen say otherwise.

The bits that are supposed to be dark are dark and the light bits... You guessed it.. Light.

I will start the full game in hdr but try SDR to see if my observations are correct.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Having really fast zombies that die in one hit would negate both the resource management and path planning aspects of resident evil since as long as you have bullets you know exactly how many zombies you can kill, gets rid of the wounding or "play dead" aspect, and when you run into one there would be no avoiding them so the game would basically have to give you enough ammo to kill every zombie you encounter.

I didn't say really fast.

I said zombies that lurch erratically and speed up at a certain distance. Not moving fast, but faster which elevates tension and means you NEED to place that one shot quick. Especially as encounters are in very confined quarters.

And to compensate you could add 1-2 zombies to certain encounters in clever ways, like have one suddenly burst through a door, or even grab you from below, fall from above, etc...

It would not negate resource management or route planning in anyway, it would remain just as crucial.

To me this would make encounters far more interesting. You would really have to focus to place that one shot, you would miss some shots, it would make the encounters more tense and feel super rewarding if you manage to one shot a group of difficult to hit zombies.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

I said zombies that lurch erratically and speed up at a certain distance. Not moving fast, but faster which elevates tension and means you NEED to place that one shot quick. Especially as encounters are in very confined quarters.

And to compensate you could add 1-2 zombies to certain encounters in clever ways, like have one suddenly burst through a door, or even grab you from below, fall from above, etc...

It would not negate resource management or route planning in anyway, it would remain just as crucial.

To me this would make encounters far more interesting. You would really have to focus to place that one shot, you would miss some shots, it would make the encounters more tense and feel super rewarding if you manage to one shot a group of difficult to hit zombies.

I feel like it would be tricky to design a zombie that's really hard to hit but still moves straight towards you in a layout made up mostly of hallways. Are you talking about 1-hit headshots? If so that might be feasible, since 1-hit body shots would triviliaze them unless you got to unfair levels of erratic movement I think.

Still, I think the design they're going with, where it's less about bursts of panic and more about considered, and unsure, use of resources is more immediately compelling to me. I like the idea of having a window to stop and think whether I want to shoot off the leg of a zombie and run around or try to use the bullets and go for a kill.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018

While that could work in another game, it'd imply changing a lot of the design of RE2. Zombies that more erratically, like you said, make encounters in confined areas tougher. The problem is that RE2 is about resource management - if the basic enemy can dodge your shots and damage you, suddenly the chances of you popping a herb increase exponentially. Suddenly the game needs to account for this by either gicing you more healing items and inventory space, or making hallways and rooms bigger, thereby ruining either their own systems and/or atmosphere.

What makes RE2 and old RE work is that each zombie both gives you space to breathe by being an easy target and moving slowly, while also being a threat because they're resilient and an investment of resources to take down. Frenetic encounters with faster enemies are what Lickers, the dogs and other enemy types are for.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I just preordered the Deluxe edition for PC off GMG. I had my VIP discount as well as a 5% birthday voucher so it cost me like $49.97. Suuuuuper pleased with it.

Nice! The only reason I went for the deluxe version is Leon's Noir costume. It looks so good that I don't want to play the game without it. Pretty stupid, I know.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have you played the original game(s)? You will be able to get a hand cannon later on that you can even upgrade. It was able to kill multiple zombies with a single shot if they were all lined up. I'm going to assume the remake has something similar that will just blow a gigantic hole through multiple zombies if the angle is right.

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't believe my eyes when I played the demo. This is exactly what I've been expecting from the series ever since the jump to the seventh generation. No jungles, villages, or ancient tombs, just... a good, fully realized, weighty and modern Resident Evil that takes place in Raccoon City. That demo was the single best Resident Evil I ever played.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the original game(s)? You will be able to get a hand cannon later on that you can even upgrade. It was able to kill multiple zombies with a single shot if they were all lined up. I'm going to assume the remake has something similar that will just blow a gigantic hole through multiple zombies if the angle is right.

I've played all mainline yeh, and I'm sure they'll have fun unlocks like this. They had a few in RE7 so chances are high.

While that could work in another game, it'd imply changing a lot of the design of RE2. Zombies that more erratically, like you said, make encounters in confined areas tougher. The problem is that RE2 is about resource management - if the basic enemy can dodge your shots and damage you, suddenly the chances of you popping a herb increase exponentially. Suddenly the game needs to account for this by either gicing you more healing items and inventory space, or making hallways and rooms bigger, thereby ruining either their own systems and/or atmosphere.

What makes RE2 and old RE work is that each zombie both gives you space to breathe by being an easy target and moving slowly, while also being a threat because they're resilient and an investment of resources to take down. Frenetic encounters with faster enemies are what Lickers, the dogs and other enemy types are for.

The zombies already do move slightly so you can easily miss your shots if their head suddenly tilts. It would not require much change to increase the animations they have to make headshots harder.

The elements of item management would remain largely the same. Instead of 3 headshot = kill with headshots being so easy you can land 3 most of the time without missing, they would be far more missed shots in more tense shoot outs.

This would be exactly the same as your last paragraph, too. Honestly, it would even out to almost exactly the same overall. It would just be a little more interesting, at least imo.

In the RE2 demo I was constantly landing headshots easily. The tension in many encounters was quite low.

I feel like it would be tricky to design a zombie that's really hard to hit but still moves straight towards you in a layout made up mostly of hallways. Are you talking about 1-hit headshots? If so that might be feasible, since 1-hit body shots would triviliaze them unless you got to unfair levels of erratic movement I think.

Still, I think the design they're going with, where it's less about bursts of panic and more about considered, and unsure, use of resources is more immediately compelling to me. I like the idea of having a window to stop and think whether I want to shoot off the leg of a zombie and run around or try to use the bullets and go for a kill.

I don't think it would be that tricky. Moves toward you but their body erratically lurches/sways from side to side. They do this already, they could just make it a little more pronounced.

And yes of course I mean headshots, body would be far too easy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's assuming everyone is a perfect shot every single time

Exactly, and if the zombies had detailed and varied lurching animations it would mean you would have to focus very carefully to place that one shot and would often miss. It would make encounters more tense, and I found most encounters in the demo lacking in tension due to how easy it was to headshot the zombies.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So I got grabbed by a zombie and rammed my knife into him.... And it was gone? I couldn't pick it up and my character didn't have it anymore. What's up with that?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So this is the first Capcom I'm getting on release, how good are Capcom on releasing patches and stuff?

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the demo therefore my response is based off of the impressions in this thread.

As I understand it the handgun needs to shoot the head of a zombie multiple times - with the reticle perfectly placed at that - in order to fully down a zombie, otherwise ammunition is wasted and they eventually get back up. With that said, I suspect this will only be an "issue" with the handgun that is rectified later on when you have access to more explosive weapons and don't have to rely on the handgun much more. I put "issue" in quotations because I don't mind the fact that the zombies are actually formidable against a puny pistol. They're a beginner's enemy, they shouldn't be downed so easily. I'm sure a shotgun and more advanced weaponry will quickly dispose of them as the game progresses, where then we will encounter even more formidable enemies.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
What editions are there available to pre-order in the UK? All i can see are Standard, steel book and the ultimate super crazy edition with the Leon figure

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What editions are there available to pre-order in the UK? All i can see are Standard, steel book and the ultimate super crazy edition with the Leon figure

That's it. For Standard, GAME are also giving out Samurai Edge DLC, Amazon with it's Steelbook are giving out the Elza DLC oh and Base.com are doing a Lenticular cover for the cheapest price I could find of the game.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
That's it. For Standard, GAME are also giving out Samurai Edge DLC, Amazon with it's Steelbook are giving out the Elza DLC oh and Base.com are doing a Lenticular cover for the cheapest price I could find of the game.

Is there no edition with the original soundtrack included? Sure i read something a while back but can't remember

Dec 9, 2017
Exactly, and if the zombies had detailed and varied lurching animations it would mean you would have to focus very carefully to place that one shot and would often miss. It would make encounters more tense, and I found most encounters in the demo lacking in tension due to how easy it was to headshot the zombies.
The tension comes in the unpredictability of how many headshots/shots it takes to kill a zombie.
Giving Zombies the mobility of an NFL running back (like in other horror games) kind of goes against what a "classic" zombie is.

I personally find it scary not knowing if a Zombie is dead or not, vs Zombies being able to run or dodge bullets. That just seems frustrating.
I think it'll be a good balance, because there's gonna be a ton of other enemies that'll be way more terrifying.
You wouldn't want an enemy you see in the first few minutes of the game (zombie), to be the scariest, would you? :)
Also I don't believe we'll be given gracious amounts of ammunition in the final release, like we were given in the demo. Especially at harder difficulty.
The tension will be real.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The tension comes in the unpredictability of how many headshots/shots it takes to kill a zombie.
Giving Zombies the mobility of an NFL running back (like in other horror games) kind of goes against what a "classic" zombie is.

How are you getting "mobility of NFL running back" from my posts? I swear some of you just infuse posts with what you want to fit your narrative, it's really frustrating. Please don't do that.

I said "erratic lurching" and "speed up slightly when closer", please take a moment to consider what that actually means. The zombies already do it in RE7 and the RE2 demo. And enemies move from side to side quickly In RE4 too, not zombies but similar idea. Nothing about this is going against the design of zombies in RE.

I personally find it scary not knowing if a Zombie is dead or not, vs Zombies being able to run or dodge bullets. That just seems frustrating.
I think it'll be a good balance, because there's gonna be a ton of other enemies that'll be way more terrifying.
You wouldn't want an enemy you see in the first few minutes of the game (zombie), to be the scariest, would you? :)
Also I don't believe we'll be given gracious amounts of ammunition in the final release, like we were given in the demo. Especially at harder difficulty.
The tension will be real.

Again, never at all did I say "run" or "dodge bullets". Come on...

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... zombies are slow by definition. When I was a teenager my boss would always say to me, kid, you move like a zombie - he wasn't saying I was moving quickly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... zombies are slow by definition. When I was a teenager my boss would always say to me, kid, you move like a zombie - he wasn't saying I was moving quickly.

No one has said "faster zombies"... as in "no longer slow moving". Some of you really aren't reading the posts before replying.

They already sometimes lurch forward slightly faster when close to you.

Dec 9, 2017
How are you getting "mobility of NFL running back" from my posts? I swear some of you just infuse posts with what you want to fit your narrative, it's really frustrating. Please don't do that.
I said "erratic lurching" and "speed up slightly when closer", please take a moment to consider what that actually means. The zombies already do it in RE7 and the RE2 demo. And enemies move from side to side quickly In RE4 too, not zombies but similar idea. Nothing about this is going against the design of zombies in RE.
Again, never at all did I say "run" or "dodge bullets". Come on...
lol. 'NFL running back' is just a figure of speech.
RE4 didn't have 'classic' zombies...Their zombies had an IQ of 250. They were pretty smart lol

Giving zombies the ability to erratically lurch may make encounters more frustrating, instead of scary.
I've seen a lot of people play the demo, & these slow, dumb, zombies had people pretty nervous.