• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shenmui

Dec 17, 2017
The only thing that concerns me is that the enemies seem tougher: 4+ headshot to kill them? Definitely too much. Even though you have more ammo.

Amazing for everything else

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Finished my first playthrough earlier on my new NZ account, because of fucking course I couldn't just wait like a normal person. ;)

Gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised at just how good the movement and even aiming feels. It definitely feels loose enough that when some zombies gang up on you, shit hits the fan and it'll be a challenge to hit where you want to. But if you use the locations to your advantage and take zombies one by one it's a different story. Shots will go where you want to as long as you take some time to aim.

Standard handgun feels a bit like a pea shooter and weak but that's not too surprising I guess. £Shotgun is much better, but even then, a decent headshot doesn't seem to automatically be a 'pop' and done scenario. Zombie will go down for sure but pretty sure they'd be back later unless you follow up on them.

When it happens though, damn, the gore and ragdoll in this game are something else. Getting two consecutive headshots on a guy and watching his head basically disintegrate into two limp dangly meat bits while he slumps down into a corner... whew.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Completed the demo in like 21 minutes.

Yeah yeah, reflections/weird Graphical stuff oh my goood, but this is based on the E3 demo right? I wouldn't look to much into it. When the demo starts it looks really weird (Leon's model as well) but hey, the final game will look different.

Impressions about the actual demo;

- Its weird to be back in the RPD. Okay its not the first time in HD (I was unfortunate enough to play the horrendous Operation Raccoon City game) but man, its looks great too. All the additions are cool too.

- Leon controls pretty well. Aiming doesn't feel floaty. You can dodge/walk around objects fairly smoothly. Clicking L3 to run is weird. Imagine this will cause problems during playthroughs.

- I like how Leon explores the first corridor (eastern one) and tries to push himself on. You got this!

- The first zombie encounter was exciting. Came burstig through the door and lunged at me within close range. Your DS controller is green while healty, but I imagine it will turn orange or red when injured. The whole corridor started to swarm with zombies, so I just went Nope and got out.

- Marvin's introduction is cool.

- I think zombies will differ from each other. I started to walk through the west corridor and a zombie broke through the window. It took two handgun bullets to the head to really kill her. Afterwards another zombie took a few more bullets and he still got up. The Police zombie who breaks into the weapons storage is just strong for demo purposes. He took a shell to the face and he still pursued me.

- The barricading windows mechanic will be interesting. I will barricade the window outside of the saferoom because safespace. Funny to see that zombie, he wants to break through but can't.

- I will probably knife corpses in the full game. Shot a zombie and he stood up after I provoked it. Will be interesting how many times (and others) will be surprised by zombies who won't be fully dead.

- The trailer is hype.

All in all, this demo got me hyped. 25th of January, here we come!

Last edited:

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
You're not supposed to blast through everything tho

Yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting. Zombies are super avoidable thanks to the fluid controls, and with the exception of some bottlenecks there doesn't seem to be the need to kill a whole lot of them.

That's just the demo of course. But I'm feeling the game is nudging a bit in the direction of avoiding combat when possible.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
That's just the demo of course. But I'm feeling the game is nudging a bit in the direction of avoiding combat when possible.
uu9pmDP.gif

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting. Zombies are super avoidable thanks to the fluid controls, and with the exception of some bottlenecks there doesn't seem to be the need to kill a whole lot of them.

Thats a good thing, its totally classic Resident Evil.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very good demo. Played on PS4 Pro, looked rough. Ran great though.

Only problem I have is that the game isn't scary at all.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I ran out of time. Was walking around to much with my mouth wide open. RE2 was my favorite RE. To see it recreated like this is a dream come true.

Looked pretty good overall on PS4 Pro though I bet the full version has a mode that looks better. Ya... floor reflections are terrible, almost distracting.

I cant seem to get the game to download on my Xbox One X so I guess I have to wait to try that version.

I have the game preordered on PC. Its painful waiting for the demo to show up on steam. :)

I'm so hyped. I feel like I've returned home after being away for many years.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Thats a good thing, its totally classic Resident Evil.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree. Realistically the most efficient way to play RE(2) was always to only clear as much as you have to, and keep it to areas you'll traverse a lot etc. So in that way this is a perfect remake in that it recaptures that spirit.

I guess it's just that it's been so damn long since I've played RE2 that I'm seeing it through a different lens or something. Little old me back then didn't do a lot of smart ammo management I reckon. He was a dumbass. :)

What's the frame rate on the Pro?

Targeting 60 and seemed to be hitting it most of the time. I wanna say a scene with 3+ zombies got some frame drops, but it definitely remained well north of 30, so nothing really affecting playability in my book.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just wow.

It's a true horror game this time. One of the scariest thing I played this gen (including PT).
In what ways? The footage I've seen looked tense and intense, survival horror rather than...horror if that makes sense. I tend to connect the former with pressure and the looming threat of being overwhelmed, and the latter with dread and unease.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
- The barricading windows mechanic will be interesting. I will barricade the window outside of the saferoom because safespace. Funny to see that zombie, he wants to break through but can't.
Can you go into more detail on this? I didn't know or expect this to have a mechanic like that. Can you also barricade doors RE4-style?

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
As someone who's skipping the demo and waiting for the full game. What do you guys think about the difficulty setting? Is Normal challenging? For comparison sake (different games, I know) is it as challenging as TEW1 was or as easy as TEW2 was on normal? I'm worried that if I go with normal in RE2 it'd turn out to be a joke like it was in TEW2.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Hyped by the impressions in here. Wished there was a Win10 version like RE7. I want to play with Xbox capabilities(Live, Achievements) damnit !

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I like it. I'm glad I'm playing this on PC though. Image trailing and reflections are a bit jarring on base PS4. They reimagined most of the map and the rooms they did bring back I half expected the same enemies/items to be present as the original. Its hard to shake the memory of RE2.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just ran out of time in the demo right as the cop asked me to return to the main hall to show me something.

This was awesome, and I'm even more sold on the game now. It's atmospheric as hell, and the controls feel perfect. I did notice some weird shimmery reflections and graphical oddities, but I'm sure they will be ironed out for the full release.

Ammo seemed reasonably plentiful, which is good because it was taking me 3-4 bullets in the head to put zombies down.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To those that played the original, is the bulk of the game spent in the police station? I remember reading the novelization of RE2 and seeing my dad playing when I was a kid, and I always thought it was a game that spent a lot of time on the streets of Racoon City.

But the remake footage and previews make it seem like the game is largely focused on the station, in the way that RE1 was set in the mansion

Nov 23, 2017
No way the SSR is going to ship like that, absolutely no way.

and everyone complaining about the graphics simply just don't seem to understand why 60 FPS requires a trade off. If they made it look better but 30 fps people would criticize it and complain for being 30 fps and not feeling responsive. Wait for that 30 fps 4k mode and I bet that and fixed SSR will change your tune....HDR is fubared though, Capcom can't deliver on that though. No defending that one.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
In what ways? The footage I've seen looked tense and intense, survival horror rather than...horror if that makes sense. I tend to connect the former with pressure and the looming threat of being overwhelmed, and the latter with dread and unease.
Very dark, dreadful atmosphere. Corridors are very narrow, you never feel safe – even if there's no zombies.
Sound design is on whole new level. Just sound kills me :)

this game is like RE4 (or even Dead Space) combined with Silent Hill.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
As someone who's skipping the demo and waiting for the full game. What do you guys think about the difficulty setting? Is Normal challenging? For comparison sake (different games, I know) is it as challenging as TEW1 was or as easy as TEW2 was on normal? I'm worried that if I go with normal in RE2 it'd turn out to be a joke like it was in TEW2.

It'll be a challenge on normal. No melee attacks besides your knife. Multiple enemies can grapple you at once. If you aren't pulling headshots left and right you can get overwhelmed. In TEW2 it was easy to exploit enemies and this is nothing like that.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
To those that played the original, is the bulk of the game spent in the police station? I remember reading the novelization of RE2 and seeing my dad playing when I was a kid, and I always thought it was a game that spent a lot of time on the streets of Racoon City.

But the remake footage and previews make it seem like the game is largely focused on the station, in the way that RE1 was set in the mansion
It was mostly the police station. RE3 spent time in the streets and different locations around Racoon City.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

i would say the first 3rd of the original is set in the RPD

Edit maybe first half, i forgot some of the later areas were short comparatively

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finished it with 9 minutes to spare, had I known it was going to end there I would have explored a lot more, and read everything. I'm not a console gamer so aiming was a struggle (PC demo isn't out yet) but I can tell it's going to control perfectly on PC, it's definitely not frustrating like the older games. Visually it was superb, the character models and facial expressions are absolutely top tier. I'll be keeping my pre-order that's for damn sure.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

A good chunk of the game is set in the police station.

Though you spend a little less time in it than you do in RE1's mansion, relatively speaking.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
The only thing that concerns me is that the enemies seem tougher: 4+ headshot to kill them? Definitely too much. Even though you have more ammo.

Amazing for everything else

I actually liked the tanky zombies and hoped they didn't make them any easier to kill.

Classic RE always has zombies that took as many as 8 handgun ammo to kill. The biggest thing was you couldn't aim where you wanted like you can in RE4 onwards, and even then it's unknown how much headshots actually helped besides with the shotgun.

Zombies also played dead alot in older games. In classic RE you'd make sure you saw a blood puddle otherwise they'd bite your ankles lol. (Ironically a "Twitching" zombie was really dead, while a motionless zombie was faking it.)

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Leon's running animation looked weird as hell in one of the trailers... When you play, you don't really notice it but it almost looks like he is running on a treadmill. Not getting anywhere, haha. But I enjoyed the controls! :)
Especially compared to how shitty it felt shooting stuff in RE6.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions (sorry if they were already answered):

1. The 30 minutes only counts game time, not time on the title screen before playing, right?

2. It's 1080/60 on the Pro in this demo, but someone said there are other options in the full game. I'm assuming the other main option would be higher res locked at 30fps, is that correct?

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the original. Going in more or less blind.

Don't have much time to game anymore, choosy with what I buy and play.
Demo will definately be the decider. How does it run on original ps4?

Read OP impressions on base ps4. Cool.

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
Just finished my second playthrough, game feels really good. Performance on PS4 pro is pretty stable except some framedrops outside of the police station right at the beginning. Haven't had so much fun shooting off legs and arms since Dead Space. January 25th can't come soon enough.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Demo was piss easy at least, easier than TEW2, to the point I'm thinking Hard might not be hard enough in release.
Zombies take 3-4 Headshots to drop, I killed everything I saw and had 44 bullets at the end of the demo and I got touched only once (first zombie caught me off-guard).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
JAPANESE PSN DEMO IS FUCKING UP

Right before I'm about to go to bed. But I'll start downloading at least.

Last edited:

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Two questions (sorry if they were already answered):

1. The 30 minutes only counts game time, not time on the title screen before playing, right?

2. It's 1080/60 on the Pro in this demo, but someone said there are other options in the full game. I'm assuming the other main option would be higher res locked at 30fps, is that correct?
1. Yup.

2. They've confirmed there'll be a 4K/30 mode.