• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
The timer is annoying. I'll just wait a few weeks untill release. Looks fantastic though.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels to me the enhanced versions are 60fps and the base versions (PS4 at least) are 30fps. Can anyone confirm that?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This game has nothing to do with the original Resident Evil 2. it is almost a completely new game. I feel a stranger, despite walking through this police station a million time before.

No sense of isolation, no iconic music from Masami Ueda, no descriptions for background that help you to "imagine" the world and feel like you are really there instead you are just passing by places/rooms you won't really care about, and Lion keep talking all the time like he is Nathan Drake or something (I really hate that, I like to feel immersed and to feel that I'm actually in place of the mc). oh, and that stupid UI and bland icons from RER...

don't misunderstand me, it is a good demo and the gameplay is solid like any other game from Capcom, and there are certainly a tension when you face the zombies, but it feels like Resident Evil Revelations/new Capcom, not old Capcom.

that magic won't ever be repeated again.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Demo is up in the UK on PSN. Just finished my run. 30 minutes felt too short. I'd just managed to get the shotgun and spade key before it ran out of time.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This game has nothing to do with the original Resident Evil 2. it is almost a completely new game.
That's because it is. Take your nostalgia glasses off for a minute and you'll probably appreciate that bringing RE2 back with modern gameplay mechanics was a genius idea. If you want to relive your so called "magic" again, the original game is still very much playable.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is really good but i wish it gave us more options when it comes to HUD customization.

There's just one preset of On or Off. (and turning it off doesn't even get rid of everything) Wish i could customize which elements of the HUD i wanted on the screen. for example, i wanted to play with no HUD but still wish i could keep the health bar popping up when i get hit by an enemy cause it looks cool as hell, really hope they implement it with an update at some point. the game isn't designed to be played with no hud sadly since it has no highlighted items/interactable stuff.

Game is gorgeous and i don't know what you guys are talking about with all this weak graphics talk.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Graphics are so good. and the shootin is great. I didn't have enough time to solve the puzzle tho :P

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's one of the things I wanted to be wrong about when I saw the gameplay previews(and I still would like to be wrong about). I have no problem with switching the OST to the original since I'm getting the super duper version of the game(I don't know if that will help???). With that being said, they're clearly going for a certain vibe/style here. I like it but can't love it because I feel the soundtrack plays such a big part of a RE game.
It does. Going by the demo which I just finished i would say I think the style they chose suits the tone of the game but it could've been a bit more audible after all. I'm not sure what to think. I thought the demo left a good taste in my mouth although there's a little bit of that "Blandness" some spoke about which I attribute more to the fact that I think RE is a product of its time in that it was cheesy and the standard for story in games was kind of low despite the standard for music and videogameyness being high and this version of the game happens in an age where story and tone seems to be higher priority than melodic iconic music and quirky mechanics.

The experience is something I liked and I suppose that includes the ominous sounding, but ambient music backdrop. The aftertaste is something I'll have to digest a little more.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Just finished the demo, clocked 21 minutes.

Pretty great from what I have played and seen so far. Just a few bugs here and there (e.g. Leon's slightly blurry face in cutscenes, like as though its off focus or something).

Definitely getting it on launch.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, music was disappointing and it's a shame that it had to happen to RE2 of all games, such an iconic soundtrack being scaled down to a bunch of drone music that you won't even remember, some new tracks work like the new Mr X chase music but everything else in this demo at least sounds kinda meh, i wish it received the Darkside Chronicles treatment instead.

And why the fuck isn't the save room theme looping.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
That's because it is. Take your nostalgia glasses off for a minute and you'll probably appreciate that bringing RE2 back with modern gameplay mechanics was a genius idea. If you want to relive your so called "magic" again, the original game is still very much playable.

Of course it is still playable, and I'm gonna go back to replay it and the other classic titles like I always do.

The original game or classic titles stood the test of time, they are games I go back to regularly (not 2 though to be honest, I usually go back to 1 Remake), anyway nothing about nostalgia or glasses, I hate it when people always dismiss how great something is/was and say (its only about nostalgia!), no its not.
they are just great games, they are artistic, and they have unparalleled sense of isolation and exploration, and iconic music. those "save room" music, I still remember every single one of them, they are still echoing in my head.

l don't care if the game is "modern" or not, the atmosphere can't be compared to original game for a lot of reasons. notice that I didn't say it was bad or something, it is very well done and solid like any game from Capcom and I'm aware of that. but that's it. it probably won't be a game that mean much to me.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'll leave a few general impressions for those interested in the small tidbits:
  • Walked right out of RPD after browsing the hall only to be met by 4 zombies outside of the outer gate. Sides are still barricaded in this demo.
  • Game has extensive brightness adjustments that it guides you through to get the perfect Darkness & Wetness TM
  • Rain outside of the RPD does look real good as does the wet surfaces.
  • With auto-aim I found it extremely easy to pop zombie heads given that you are given the patience to do it and not zombies ambushing you from behind.
  • There are critical hits like in the original which will make the head explode on random but well-placed headshots.
  • Two zombies I killed went into twitching after they fell like dead zombies in RE2. I assumed this meant they were dead, but about half a minute later they stood up again.
  • Nice contextualization of the puzzles. I unlocked the Lion medallion and inserted it into the rightmost socket, triggering a partial opening of the secret passage which was met by exhasperation from Marvin. Eureka!
  • The front door to RPD was barricaded after meeting Marvin. I worry that they are going to block off previous areas as soon as you progress to the next general area.
  • A beautiful thing happened when I got the first floor map; I was semi-scared, enough that I had to browse this map to figure out how big the adjacent rooms were and I felt myself starting to plot my route to hopefully conserve ammo and be ready if there would be zombies; room size might mean more zombies I thought.
  • Lots of interactible doors along the way prompting the use of items I didn't have yet. this made the game feel as daunting and also intriguing as the original, and definitely makes it a fun mystery to solve.
  • Certain notes I picked up detail the prelude to the outbreak as ominously as RE1 or REmake did it. There's refugees from the forest, and one of them attacked a police officer "probably due to intense stress", like they're seeing unbelievable things but are in denial of there being some sort of happening here until it was too late. The writing prose also struck me as surprisingly good, in these notes as well as the cutscene dialogue.
  • A few of the comments Leon makes during gameplay seemed a little off somehow, like either they were inserted out of context for the purpose of the demo or there's just something a little bent out of shape from the writing vs how the lines are delivered. Not a problem during cutscenes, just the gameplay.
  • I did not complete the demo within the time-limit. Instead I examined a few things up close and took my time.
  • Moving close to walls or ceilings I noticed that Leon will retract his hands a little bit while aiming rather than clipping through the wall but it was done so dynamically that it impressed me, honestly as it means you can, for instance, aim between two cylinders in a fence without the feeling of there being invisible walls or Leon not being able to aim.
  • Regrettably a lot of newspaper crawls hanging on the wall turn out to have incredibly low-res, completely unreadable PS3 textures. That sucked but at least stuff looks aesthetically pleasing most of the time.
  • Performance on base PS4 is 60fps with some dips that rarely seemed to go below 40 and I noticed certain temporal-AA hiccups that I'm familiar with, like the edge of Leon's hair making a weird washy effect where there are reflections. If you've played Mass Effect Andromeda or Detroit or other games that mix Temporal AA with world reflections you know what this looks like. I sometimes got the impression that it uses dynamic resolution as well but I think it might've just been the reflection mishmash.
Overall, I'm pleased, and I've already purchased Deluxe edition so whoop dee doo.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Just finished the demo. I never played the original game as a kid, so I'm coming into RE2make with fresh eyes and, from my perspective, it's a very impressive game on most fronts. The police station has a very oppressive atmosphere, thanks to some brilliant lighting and sound design. Slowly stumbling down dark corridors with nothing but the light of Leon's torch, I quickly realised that I was playing extremely cautiously. This is, in part, because the zombies are incredibly imposing. While some might not like how they're complete bullet sponges, taking several handgun shots to the head before being downed (and not necessarily for the count as I learned to my dismay, after one I thought I had killed grabbed at my ankles), for me it makes that fight for survival more desperate. Every encounter with a zombie has an inherent tension to it. I could feel myself brace whenever I heard the unnerving gurgles of an unseen enemy lurking somewhere in the darkness, and found myself jumping at errant shadows flitting across the walls.

Leon's muttering to himself does break that brilliant sense of tension a little bit, but it's not a deal killer. It seems like a superbly made haunted house ride of a game that I can't wait to dive into fully.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The reticle is interesting in how it takes a half second to line up a precision shot. It made me feel rushed and uncomfortable to be in a room with multiple enemies, in a good way.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Isd there any walkthrough yet? I need to watch it before I play the demo so i am sure to finish it before the time limit.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
First Run- 17.43
Second Run- 5.23
Third Run- 4.55

Don't think I can beat it in 2 minutes with my remaining time, but it's a solid demo if not a short one.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool peek at the game, very gorgeous and had me on edge the whole time. I love the original so much and I'm blown away.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone exceed the 30 minute time limit? What does happen after? I just want to be sure if the system is effective and working.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Lot of the graphics comments sound very similar to the launch of RE7 thread. Which, since none of that bothered me I'm golden.

Agh this wait is gonna be rough.

Apr 19, 2018
Base versions target 60 fps but it's not stable, definitely not 30 tho.
Performance on base PS4 is 60fps with some dips that rarely seemed to go below 40 and I noticed certain temporal-AA hiccups that I'm familiar with, like the edge of Leon's hair making a weird washy effect where there are reflections.

It's encouraging that the base PS4 is at least targeting 60fps. If the demo is indeed based on an earlier build, it gives me hope that they'll be able to better optimize the framerate for the final game.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You can only use the main menu after that, trying to play the actual game again just takes you to the trailer at the end.

I see. Thanks. I hope the demo is vastly finishable before that time limit, all that while allowing anyone to enjoy the graphics and details without rushing and dashing just to finish it.

Oct 29, 2017
Feels great, looks great. I agree with whoever said they wanted the soundtrack to be more prominent. Looks like I'm ordering the deluxe for the original ost.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo. I thought the devs wanted the zombies to feel like a threat and for it to not be an action game?

It's fun and all but this is 100% an action game based on the demo. Hell the tried and true RE4 strategy of down with headshot > knife while on the ground still works.